Leader Lines in Excel?

Does anyone know if it is possible to create Leader Lines
in an Excel worksheet, like the way you can in Word
(using Tab Stops)??

Thanks.

It depends what you're trying to do, but some variation on the following
may help:

1. Enter a value in A2, and the other value in C2.
2. In cell B2, type the character you want as the leader, e.g. a period.
3. With B2 selected, choose Format>Cells.
4. On the Alignment tab, under Horizontal, choose Fill
5. Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd (439)
8/8/2003 10:12:08 PM
Steve

Assign this macro to a button.  Change the dot to whatever you like.

Sub Leaders()
    Selection.numberformat = "@*."
End Sub

Gord Dibben  Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:55:27 -0700, "Steve" <stevenemecek@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible to create Leader Lines
>in an Excel worksheet, like the way you can in Word
>(using Tab Stops)??
>
>Thanks.

0
gdibben (257)

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Excel Lookup formulas
Hi, I have two questions: 1. I notice (occassionally) when I am using Vlookup/Hlookup to import data to another worksheet that the rules to not immediatley reflect the correct data. However, if I click on each data cell, and validate the formula (by clicking on the 'tick') it immediatley returns the correct data. Is there anyway of doing a bulk refresh that will somehow re-activate the rules that appear to have become dormant? 2. Is there a formula that will find the largest numeric data entry in a row, column, array? Thankyou, Don- Re part 2 of your question =max(place range...

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

Excel Templates #3
is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet template in Excel? Thanks. Have a look at the templates found here. http://office.microsoft.com/templates/category.aspx?CategoryID=CT063469961033&CTT=4&Origin=CT061993501033 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:26:49 -0700, "egcam@sbcglobal.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet >template in Excel? Thanks. ...

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

How do I create a database from an Excel form?
Hello Everybody - I need to see if Excel can be used to create a mailing list database from an Excel form. If so...how do I go about doing this? The list will need to include the name of the company, contact person, and address. Thanks in advance for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated! Here are a couple of links: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. FIRESIGN98 wrote: > > Hello Everybody - > > I need to see if Excel can be used...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

excel Xp (ofc XP)
.. I need to install an legacy application that will not install properly when ofc2k3 is the current application. Furthermore, the app wants small business tools for office 2k installed I can't uninstall ofc 2k3 because there are too many settings and applications depending on that possibly a naive questions: is it possible to make the ofc 2k3 look like ofcXp in terms of word and excel? is it possible to install small business tool from ofc 2k pro without destroying ofc2k3? Note that if office Xp or office 2k is the current office application, the legacy application will ins...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

toolbar line see what you have typed
How do I put the line in the toolbar that will show what I've typed so I can make corrections without having to retype the entire row? Click on View on the worksheet menu bar. then make sure Formula bar is checked Then you can position the I-bar cursor where you want. Tinkerbell wrote: > > How do I put the line in the toolbar that will show what I've typed so I can > make corrections without having to retype the entire row? -- Dave Peterson So the poster may have been missing the formula bar. <grin> Use of F2 will help with entry so that you don't have t...

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

Bug in Excel handling exponents
If I type -10^6 in a cell, the resulting number is 1,000,000. However, shouldn't the exponent take precedence over the sign? Specifically, shouldn't the result be -1,000,000? Search for "Precedence" in excel's Help. (I used xl2003.) And you'll find out how excel treats arithmetic operators. It's not what you learned in school. But those are excel's rules. So you have to play by them if you stay in excel. Personally, I'll add ()'s to make sure the expression evaluates like I want. Schizoid Man wrote: > > If I type -10^6 in a cell, t...

type a word on the line without desturbing the line
I am using Outlook Publisher and I need to know how do I type on a line without desturbing the line. Not sure I understand. Do you want to overwrite a line of text? If you want to add a word without the line moving, use the character spacing option in the format menu. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Bermuda Mama" <Bermuda Mama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:615FB725-748E-4403-B41F-AB9CAFC19971@microsoft.com... >I am using Outlook Publisher and I need to know how do I type on a li...

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

Excel and Calendar Control 8.0
Enter an Excel worksheet. Click Insert, select Object and then, Calendar Control 8.0. Now, the Calendar is shown on the worksheet. And then, the worksheet operations is finished with the Calendar. Please say, how to remove the Calendar from the worksheet. Regards. ...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Script to count duplicate lines in a text file
We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a file call test.txt that has the following entries: A1 A1 B1 B2 B2 B2 B2 This would return the following: A1,2 B1,1 B2,4 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Gadgetman schrieb: > We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file > and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a > file call test.txt that has the following entries: > A1 > A1 ...

how do i graph gender & age in in a line graph?
i need to compare age and gender on a line graph but i can not get gender to be different from just a line how do i change that? Your question is not too clear. It would be nice to see part of your data. Are you saying that Excel plots two lines rather than one? If so, delete the text at the top of the first column you are using for data. -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "lost&needhelp" <lost&needhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88472E93-9D32-48B6-8B2C-FAF17EED4ACB@microsoft.com......

command line build...turn on or off the auto-increment option
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB6.exe /MAKE /OUT "C:\src\MyApplicationSourceFiles\MyApplication.vbp.log" "C:\src\MyApplicationSourceFiles\MyApplication.vbp" /outdir "C:\BuildResults\MyApplication\" The above is what I have now. Is there any way from the command line to turn on/off the "auto increment" option? My motivation is that........when I do a "Gold Build", I want to increment. But when I do a non-gold-everyday routine build, I don't want it to auto increment. This is actually the one leftover...

Outlook 2003 - Line 227
A customer of mine is attempting to printer HTML based email and receives the following error: ---- Error A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug? Line: 227 Error: The specified module could not be found. ---- I have uninstalled and re-installed (with all options) Office 2003. Attempted to print a Text based email, and it printed without any issue. Attempted to print and HTML based email, and I would get this error. Downloaded and updated all available MS Office updates. Same results. Removed all of the HP software for the printer. Downloaded and installed the latest version of...

how do i set up to auto detect duplicated numbers in an excel fiel
I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peabody wrote: > I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to > ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients > numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! ...