Launching Excel by opening an .xls file via Windows Explr

I have Excel 2002 SP-2 installed. When I open an .xls file
via Windows Explorer it takes at least 20 seconds to open
Excel and about another 5-10 to open the .xls file. The
..xls file can be as small as 26K and still it takes 30
seconds or so to open. However, if I open Excel first (it
takes less than five seconds to launch Excel) and then
open the .xls file using Excel, then the file opens almost
instantly.

Any ideas on why this is the case?

Thanks
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Kevin

Read this pages to solve your problem

Opening/Saving Bottlenecks (Charles Williams)
http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm#OpSave

Troubleshoot Startup Problems(MS):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q280504

Some tips on overcoming slow response (David McRitchie)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2000-2003)

"Kevin Staley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01d301c3d3c5$ef07f500$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I have Excel 2002 SP-2 installed. When I open an .xls file
> via Windows Explorer it takes at least 20 seconds to open
> Excel and about another 5-10 to open the .xls file. The
> .xls file can be as small as 26K and still it takes 30
> seconds or so to open. However, if I open Excel first (it
> takes less than five seconds to launch Excel) and then
> open the .xls file using Excel, then the file opens almost
> instantly.
>
> Any ideas on why this is the case?
>
> Thanks

0
rondebruin (3790)

Windows XP x64 MFC application problem
I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this probem? >I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is >messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on >Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this >probem? The obvious response is - try debugging it on that platform and find where it's giving rise ...

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Maximum file sizes

find action on log file