Justify text across multiple columns

I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the boundaries
of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified.  How
do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row.  If I highlight all of the
text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment,
Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column.  I know I could use a
text box, but I'd prefer not to.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
-Dave
0
fins2r (2)

Hi Dave,

Select the cells you want to center on.
Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across selection >
OK

Should do what you want if I understand the question.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"fins2r" <fins2r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the
>boundaries
> of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified.
> How
> do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row.  If I highlight all of
> the
> text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment,
> Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column.  I know I could
> use a
> text box, but I'd prefer not to.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> -Dave

0
lhkittle (223)
10/25/2005 9:21:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Howard, but I want to justify the text outside edge to
outside edge across several columns (like a newspaper, or like how Justify
works in MS Word).  Any further suggestions?

"L. Howard Kittle" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Select the cells you want to center on.
> Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across selection >
> OK
>
> Should do what you want if I understand the question.
>
> HTH
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "fins2r" <fins2r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the
> >boundaries
> > of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified.
> > How
> > do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row.  If I highlight all of
> > the
> > text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment,
> > Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column.  I know I could
> > use a
> > text box, but I'd prefer not to.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> > -Dave

0
fins2r (2)
10/25/2005 11:06:02 PM
Okay, I see.  Sorry, no I don't know how you would do that.

Regards,
Howard

"fins2r" <fins2r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the
>boundaries
> of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified.
> How
> do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row.  If I highlight all of
> the
> text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment,
> Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column.  I know I could
> use a
> text box, but I'd prefer not to.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> -Dave

0
lhkittle (223)
10/26/2005 3:52:48 PM
Are you merging the cells? Works for me in Excel 2003 when I wrap text, and
fully justify.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

> Thanks for the reply Howard, but I want to justify the text outside edge
> outside edge across several columns (like a newspaper, or like how Justify
> works in MS Word).  Any further suggestions?
>
> "L. Howard Kittle" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Select the cells you want to center on.
>> Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across selection
>>  >
>> OK
>>
>> Should do what you want if I understand the question.
>>
>> HTH
>> Regards,
>> Howard
>>
>> "fins2r" <fins2r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the
>> >boundaries
>> > of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified.
>> > How
>> > do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row.  If I highlight all
>> > of
>> > the
>> > text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells,
>> > Alignment,
>> > Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column.  I know I could
>> > use a
>> > text box, but I'd prefer not to.  Any help would be appreciated.
>> > Thanks.
>> > -Dave

0
ng1 (1444)

Adding VLOOKUPS across multiple worksheets
Hi, I am trying to add several VLOOKUP results obtained from data in several worksheets. My formula is : - =VLOOKUP(A5,'Common Costs - Budget'!A5:X74,2,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(A5,'Brighton - Budget'!A5:X53,2,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(A5,'Hove - Budget'!A5:X56,2,FALSE) I have several worksheets all with similar budget information on and, for example, I need to all the payroll costs from each of the sheets. Not all the sheets will always have costs on so I was thinking of doing lookups and adding them together but I just keep getting the #N/A result. Is there a way to...

Multiple Pivot Tables
I'm trying to accomplish something I'm not sure that Pivot tables can - 1)I'm creating two pivot tables that have the same "Pages" but summation of different data sets. I'd then like to place the two pivots on the same page and then split the pivot (and thus creating a copy of each possible combo) but with both sets of pivoted data on the same page. 2)Is there a way to limit split pages so that it only provides those with non-zero values ...

SQL Reporting Services and Multiple Databases
Creating a report to work against a single database is pretty easy. Does anybody have a good method for making the same report work for any company database? I'm not talking about consolidating them but being able to have the report set up once and make it dynamically use the company I specify. -- Charles Allen, MVP Charles, I saw a technique like this one http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Development/2945/ at SQL Saturday in Orlando so I know it can be done. Essentially you're passing a parameter to the connection string similar to using a parameter in a report. Mark ...

table with multiple fields with lookup to same table
I will relate my issue to the Northwinds sample db. I would like my "orders" table to contain fields for the products in the order (let's say 3 products) that would have a lookup to the products table. Can anyone please tell me how I could do this, or explain what other method to use. =?Utf-8?B?SiBEYXZl?= <J Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:9A4A008E-8FE9-4F4B-BD09-E200657BBA77@microsoft.com: > I will relate my issue to the Northwinds sample db. I would like > my "orders" table to contain fields for the products in the order > (let's...

Text Boxes #4
I have a number of text boxes within charts that highlight some of the information. I change the data that produces the charts and would like to automatically change the text in the text box by linking the text box to cells within a worksheet. Is this possible to do? Thanks Graham Hi Graham you can link a text box to a cell, 1) click on the text box 2) click in the formula bar 3) type =A1 (or whatever cell) 4) press enter Cheers JulieD "Graham Parkinson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:219f01c4d884$799b2570$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have a...

Creating Control with multiple comboboxes
Hello, I am using MFC VC6 and I am trying to create an activex control which contains multiple combo boxes but I am at a loss where to start. Does anybody know of a simple sample that could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Shaun Shaun wrote: > > Hello, > > I am using MFC VC6 and I am trying to create an activex control which > contains multiple combo boxes but I am at a loss where to start. Does > anybody know of a simple sample that could point me in the right > direction. > > Thanks, > Shaun The wizard sets up a skeleton ActiveX control project...

Using the Text Formula
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but each time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the cell. I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong? capnhud, with the text you want to change in column A, in B1 put =LOWER(A1) and copy down -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "capnhud" <capnhud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Encrypt Text in Excel
I want to encrypt text in Excel. I want the character spacing to be accurate, I just want the actual text to be encrypted to a user. Anyone know any tricks, shortcuts, add-ins to do this? Thank you! Marc One more note. It is the text in a given range of cells that I want to encrypt. I've tried looking at different fonts and then locking the cells (protecting worksheet) but none of the built-in Wingding fonts keep the character spacing intact. I thought that maybe there was a way to do a custom number or text format but wasn't able to get that to work. "Marc" wrote: ...

Text Box #6
I have a userform which I have linked to a spreadsheet. I need to know how to get the userform to clear textbox.1 once I hit the enter key I have it working but it clear this textbox. Also how do I get the userform to automatically refresh to show the updated titles in the other textboxes on this form. Thanks in advance Greg The customary behavior for a UserForm is that hitting the Enter key is equivalent to clicking the OK button, which usually closes the UserForm. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A little more detail would be helpful. -- Vasant "Greg B..." &l...

Multiple Installation Question
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3294564435_42315548 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I participated in the free upgrade of MS Office 2008 from purchasing Mac Office 04.. I noticed when I received the software I was only given 1 Product Key... I�m getting ready to upgrade to a new iMac and was wondering if I was going to run into a problem installing the software on the new machine since I was only given 1 Key instead of the ...

Multiple workbooks from customers
I am recieving 10 different spreadsheets from customers which all contain the information I need. The issue arises that in that I only need 7 columns from each workbook, but they are not in the same order. Is there anyway to sort this? I can collate the data into one workbook if this will help. I get these reports on a monthly basis so I would love a macro to help fix this. Thanks Rory Downey presented the following explanation : > I am recieving 10 different spreadsheets from customers which all contain the > information I need. The issue arises that in that I only need 7 columns ...

How to apply an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users
Does anyone know a way to automatically distribute an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users' machines without having to go and set it up on each machine manually? We are running Outlook 2000 and 2002 on Windows XP, with Exchange 2003 server. Thanks for your help in advance. ...

Copy column headings AND formula totals to blank spreadsheet
Hi Everyone! I apologize that this was likely asked before but could someone show me how I can copy my 'column headings, column widths and totals formula' to a blank spreadsheet tab? I have set up budget spreadsheet where I input my receipts to keep track of monthly expenditures. Could someone explain how to copy the column headings, the column widths, AND the formulas of each column to a blank spreadsheet tab so each month will contain the 'same headings, same column widths and the same formula for each column'? Thanks so much for any help!!! katy Assuming you alr...

finding 600 emails in a column
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read this. I run an internet retail business. We advertise on search engine large and small. I have to make a decision on whether or not one of our smaller ad site is paying off. Basically, the ad site supplies us with a list o POTENTIAL CUSTOMER emails. We send out monthly promotional emails t them. Now i need to track these emails to see if any of them have becom ESTABLISHED CUSTOMERS. So far, I fed information from our main data base of ESTABLISHE CUSTOMERS into EXCELL so all the ESTABLISHED CUSTOMER emails are in on column. But i don't kn...

Column that needs separation
I am very new with excel and I am putting together a worksheet that has a column consisting of two primary names. I would like to format the entire column with the result being both names having their own color throughout the column. Alternatively, I could go to each row and highlight the name but there are about 1000 rows. Thanks, Aaron Say column A has entries like: James Ravenswood Run this small macro: Sub Colorizer() Dim A As Range, r As Range Set A = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Range("A:A")) For Each r In A v = r.Value s = Split(v, ...

squashed columns
Apologies if this has been asked before. One of my users occasionally has a problem where the columns in her spreadsheet appear all "squashed up" when she opens the file. She is using Office 97 SR-2. Any ideas why this is happening? ~Paul. Did she or any one else save the file with a zoom factor (far) less then 100% ? -- Regards, Auk Ales * Please reply to this newsgroup only * * I will not react on unsolicited e-mails * "Paul Birney" <pbirney@eircom.ie> wrote in message news:uqstZ%23QAEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Apologies if this has been asked ...

Adding columns given a match
Hello, I have 2 tables with different data, except for a member ID column. Table A has 38,000 records with about 35 columns. Table B has 3,000 records, with about 9 columns. I need to read table B, scan table A with the member ID from table B and add the 3 last cells from table B to table A for that member. I have a general idea how to do it, but that's about it. I need help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance, Cefoxtrot Simplest technique is INDEX/MATCH. This link will probably be broken by the forum, but remove the breaks to make one long line ag...

Can this VBA for work on text files be modified for a different job ?
I have been using the code below (which, from memory, came from the M-Soft site before I hashed it about) successfully to open 2 text files, appending the whole of one file to the end of the other, then deleting the source file. Now a new task is to; - update all text files in a specified folder by appending a new record. This is to be a daily routine, and there should end up being about 800 to 1000 text files to be updated. - The information for the record that is appended to each file comes from a single text file each day (source file). - The first column of this 'source file' ho...

Nonadjacent Cell Text Overflow
Is there a way to merge nonadjacent cells for text overflow. What I' trying to do is have text entered into a row of merged cells(e.g. Row A1:F1) but if the text is more than the cells can contain to overflo into another nonadjacent row of merged cells(Row3 A1:F1). Thanks fo any help with this -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27498 ...

duplicates across sheets
I'm trying to have the cell text / background colour change when someone enters a duplicate value, I could use countif function but need this to work across sheets. Anyone got some VBA to help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Dave, You've not indicated how use of COUNTIF would not work for you. What do you mean by across sheets. How is that to be applied. Conditional Formatting only works on one sheet is that what you are referring to. You will have to get the information that Conditional Formatting needs on the same page as it is used. Chip Pearson ha...

Picture Behind Text
I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do this? Rob K wrote: > I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering > up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do > this? ==================================== Which version of Publisher? Place the text box on top of the picture. If you see an unwanted white background behind the text... select the text box and type...Ctrl+T...to make it transparent. -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital ...

change range for multiple charts
Hi I need to change the range for multiple charts, i.e. i have to go chart by chart and modify, either with the mouse or by typing, the new range, is there a quicker way to do this? "Yossi evenzur" wrote: > Hi > I need to change the range for multiple charts, i.e. i have to go chart by > chart and modify, either with the mouse or by typing, the new range, is there > a quicker way to do this? I've written a little Excel add-in that performs mass edits of series formulas: How to Edit Series Formulas http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/how-to-edit...

OWA with multiple email addresses
I currently have SBS 2003 w/ Exchange. I have the 2 SMTP domains assigned to the default recipient policy so I can assign the 2nd domain to the people that I choose and remove it from the people that I don't want to have it. Currently, they can log into OWA with their account to check email, but they want to be able to send email from either of the 2 email addresses (just like everyone else in this discussion group). Can I accomplish this by setting up 2 mailboxes for each email address and have them log into OWA using their entire email address as the username? If so, how do I ...

Importing text files into Excel
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Chris Open Excel and create a blank workbook. Then: Data | Get External Data | Import Data (this command might be something like Import Text File, if you are using an older version of Excel). Browse to find your file and click to Import it. Should open up the Text Import Wizard. Make...

What can stop a PC from displaying Access 2000/2003 text & background colours?
Can anyone suggest a reason why a specific Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop should be unable to display any of the text or background colours on an utterly basic test form with only a couple of text boxes and no VBA code on an otherwise empty test database? The problem also happens with an application of mine using Access 2003 runtime - but only on this PC. It runs fine on several other PCs. I have applied every available Windows XP Home update and every available Office 2000 update to no effect. The laptop (set to 32-bit colour) can display digital colour photographs without any problem and ...