I have a 4 column spreadsheet.

I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to hav
them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that

Hi
why not used the soprt icon for this.
Note: This could screw up your sorting if Excel does not recognize your
database columns correctly

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to
have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 3:56:33 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain

Hi
just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>

> ---
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:34:54 PM
Would suggest not to do it this way!

Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes *once* to
screw up your data.
--
Regards,

RD

> Hi
> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> > Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/30/2004 4:44:32 PM
Hi RD
totally agree with you (as mentioned in my first post).
For the OP. Best way:
- select your complete data range
- goto 'Data - Sort' and choose your sorting columns

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Ragdyer wrote:
> Would suggest not to do it this way!
>
> Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes
> *once* to screw up your data.

------
> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
> benefit !
------
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>>> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:48:03 PM
This link puts rectangles over the cells in row 1 (for 10 columns--but you can
change that).

Then it assigns a macro to each shape that sorts by the column that holds the
shape.

It uses column A to determine how many rows the range contains:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3ECEA82E.329F38F2%40msn.com

"niemie <" wrote:

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

The ability to change multiple activity due dates at once
I would find it extremely helpful when I have multiple activities that are due on the same date and I want to change the due date to be able to change them all at once rather than having to open each one separately and then changing the due date. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&...

Alphabetical Sorting
How can I sort a group of names alphabetically in a text box? Publisher doesn't have the capability to sort. You could create a table in Word, sort the names, then copy paste into Publisher. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "skw" <skw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FB148DD-FA30-4DDC-B4A8-2D1F2438AED1@microsoft.com... > How can I sort a group of names alphabetically in a text box? ...

Rename Multiple Tables at once
I have an Access 2007 database that has a lot of linked tables and I want to 'batch' rename them. For example, they all start with "dbo_" and I want to rename all of them to "PM_". How can I make that happen? I've been searching and cannot find a solution. Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Dim dbCurr As DAO.Database Dim tdfCurr As DAO.TableDef Set dbCurr = CurrentDb() For Each tdfCurr In dbCurr.TableDefs If Left(tdfCurr.Name, 4) = "dbo_" Then tdfCurr.Name = "PM_" & Mid(tdfCurr.Name, 5)...

Exporting DLL (Best way)
Hi, I'm trying to exporting some DLL funct. which will be used by both C/C++ and VB applications. --I found 2 ways to exporting this DLL funct. #1--> Using a .def void _stdcall MyFunct(HWND hwnd, LPCTSTR uData) { // .... } -- here I have not to use any alias in vb, and it's quite east to write ..def, specially if you have shared sections. #2--> Using __declspec(dllexport) extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) void _stdcall MyFunct(HWND hwnd, LPCTSTR uData) { // .... } -- here no .def, but when I compile get a warning, but just ignoring that makes all alright. Questio...

Combining data from multiple sheets
I have been using OmniPage 12 to scan columnar data and then export it to Excel. So far I have had reasonable success with the OCR formatting but when exporting the data, each scanned sheet becomes a sheet in Excel. I want all the data on one sheet so that I can manipulate it (sort, pivot, etc.). I have had no luck with help at the OmniPage bulletin board so I thougt, alternatively, is there a way to combine data from multiple sheets that would be simpler than copy/paste. Hi Ron - Have you tried going from the other direction? If OmniPage allows you to save the files as Text (I beli...

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

Protected Worksheet Tab Order
I have a protected worksheet in Excel. After I protected the sheet I selected a range of cells that users could edit. When the sheet is protected the tab order for the range of cells that the user could edit will not work, I can nagivate using the arrows but not by tabbing. Does anyone know how to set the tab order on a protected worksheet? You must select the range of editable cells BEFORE you protect the sheet. Format these cells to "unlocked" then protect the sheet. Tab order will be left to right then down, left to right. If you have some other Tab order you wi...

Invoicing with Multiple Bins
Does the invoicing module work with multiple bins enabled ? A client of ours is receiving an error message when trying to enter invoices: "You can't create or post invoices with the multiple bin functionality enabled" Any ideas? If using mulit bins you'll have to use Sales Transaction Entry for Invoicing. The Invoice Entry window does not provide for selection of the bin, only a Site. Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Thank you, Frank. I had to figure this out the hard wa...

MAX, IF multiples
I have the following formula which works treat. =MAX(IF(('chassis upload'!$N$1:$N$5000="british gascomm1"),('chassis upload'!$O$1:$O$5000))) However, I know need to add more criteria. I need to add, that if coulmn P is blank, return the highest number from column O. i.e the higest number that would be returned is 107, if usuing the same formula, as 122 is populated by column P, so is not part of the equation. Column N Column O Column P BRITISH GASCAR1 183 BRITISH GASCAR0 75 09/06/2006 BRITISH GASCOMM1 106 07/06/2006 BRITISH G...

Outlook 2003 ..multiple instances in the task manager
Very often i find that Outlook is running with mulitple instances. and so i have actually have 3 little notificaiton envelopes in the right hand corner of my desktop, telling me i have new mail. THis is an indicator as well as my not being able to get mail for a second group of email accounts that i send/recieve from periodically. Typically when this happens, i also get an error message when i start up that says my outlook file did not close properly and needs to be checked. I have run scanpst.exe and check and repair and everything seems to be okay. I'm not sure if this is an A...

Rows to Columns
I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, etc. How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without reentering all the data? Thank you --Select B2:D2. Copy the range --Select A1. Right click>PasteSpecial>Transpose>OK If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Walter Seaton" wrote: > I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, > etc. > How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without > reentering all the data? >...

Multiple Number Formats
I have one chart who's data changes based on selections made. Sometimes the data is a number formatted with zero decimal places and a comma (ie 1,900). Sometimes the data is a percentage formatted with zero decimal places (ie 25%). Is there a way to make this one chart handle both situations and change the format of the Y Axis based on the type of data included? Thanks...Anthony Anthony - Try this as a custom number format: [<1]0%;#,##0 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _____...

m_strFilter and multiple tables.
Hi, Can I specify a table list in a m_strFilter statement? ie: How do I accomplish the following using m_strFilter: SELECT * FROM RS1,RS2 WHERE RS1.DOCN = RS2.DOCN Thanks. ...

tab
is there anyway to format tab of the sheet in EXCEL? Frank Excel 2002(XP) and 2003 will allow colored tabs. Right-click on the tab and select "tab color". Versions earlier did not allow coloring. You can change the size and font in earlier versions by changing Display Properties. The size of the sheet tabs are governed by the setting for Scrollbars in Windows Display Appearance. Mine are at 18. Start there and work your way up or down. So: with Excel Application closed. Win98 Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance "Item" drop down se...

Summing over multiple worksheets
Hi. I have weekly data by Contract number over multiple worksheets. I want to sum the hours associated with the contract. The contract information will not always be in the same cell, as new contracts are constantly added. My question is, should I use an If and then a SumIf or would a SumIf by sufficient? =SUMIF("'Apr 4:Jun 27'!, A5:A33",A5,"'Apr 4:Jun 27'!, G5:G33") I'm obviously missing something here. I want this formula to look in worksheets Apr 4 to Jun 27 in cells A5 through A33 and if there is a match to cell A5 on my summary...

Best way to install upgrade?
Hi: I currently have Money 2002 Standard OEM edition running on Windows XP. I have purchased Money 2004 Deluxe. What is best w3ay to install the new version, to avoid problems? Should I un-install 2002 version first? TIA Josh In microsoft.public.money, Josh Heller wrote: > >I currently have Money 2002 Standard OEM edition running on Windows XP. I >have purchased Money 2004 Deluxe. What is best w3ay to install the new >version, to avoid problems? Should I un-install 2002 version first? If you install Money 2004 into a different folder, you could have both version on the same ...

Filtered list & maximum no columns problem
Hi I have a filtered list with a considerable amount of associated data, which I am performing calculations on. I have run out of columns for this data. It is not practical to split the data into other sheets, as I am making frequent changes to the filter criteria. Any suggestions? Bertie -- claytorm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398516 ...

Photos not moving with rows when sorted!
Excel 2000. A worksheet with names of people, and various data about them. Each row is a record--the person's first name, last name, and various data, each column is a field. One column is labeled "Photo", and has a small photo of the person in it. I notice that when I sort the rows, by data in one of the columns, such as "first name", "last name", etc., the photos do not sort correctly with their rows. Why? Do photos just remember their place on the page, their cell position (E7 or whatever), and not the row they are in, are not considered part of the row...

How do I Change the Column Names (Re-Name A -
I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names. How do I do that? hi this can not be done. excel needs these to find/remember where everthing is on the spreadsheet grid. you can change the letters to numbers but that is it. on the 2003 menu bar... tools>options>general tab. check R1C1 reference style. or you can get rid of the letters all togeather. on the 2003 menu bar.... tools>options>view tab>uncheck row & column headers. but they are still there, just not visible. usually when someone want to wants to get rid of the column header letters, they u...

Printing Double Columns
How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two columns in question are narrow enough for this. Art David McRitchie has a macro that will "snake" the columns. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm Personally, I'd copy into MSWord (maybe hitting NotePad if MSWord slows down when I paste). Then use MSWord's Format|Column to make life easy. AjM wrote: > > How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two > columns in question are narrow enough for this. > > Art -- Dave Peterson Dave, That was a...

columns within columns
I'd like to make a single page spreadsheet with the twelve months across the top. within each, i would like 4 or 5 columns representing the weeks.this will be an actual 2010 calendar. the titles for the inner columns will be the date of the first monday of the week. vertical grid lines separating the months are a little darker than the grid lines separating the weeks. the y axis will be the values to be entered any suggestiions? Before you start have a look at John Walkenback's calender @ http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/files Look for Array Formula ...

Visio 2002 Pro database column notes
Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm still not sure where to go from here! I have reverse engineered a database, and fully documented each table and column via the notes fields. It is my understanding that in this version, the notes cannot be printed or exported out. Looking at previous posts in this ng, it has been suggested that this is only available in the "Enterprise Edition". After looking at Microsoft's site, it seems that Visio 2002 Enterprise comes in two versions, Network and Architect. Can both of these access/print the notes fields? The Net...

Change Excel Column Headings from A,B etc to names?
I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and addres etc column headings which google will accept You cannot change the column headers. Use row 1 for your column titles of Name, Address etc. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:46:00 -0700, Sandy Mac <Sandy Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I >do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and >addres etc...

Summary from multiple sheets
Hi, I have an excel sheet with mutiple work sheets. Each worksheet has some data (numbers) in column G. The number of enteries in each sheet is different (Sheet 1 has 7 enteries, Sheet 2 has 27, etc). I want to create a summary sheet in the same file which would list the names of the sheets one below another (Name of sheet 1 in A1, Name of sheet 2 in A2, etc) and also sum the total from column G in each sheet against the names of the sheet in the next column. Please help. Thanks Hi, Using 2007 this macro should work, the "summary sheet" should be the last ...

Money 2006 small business sorting by customers name
Is there a way to sort customer name by their last name? If I enter name last name first, the invoices are printed last name first. So, if I enter name first name first one cannot find transactions alphabetically. Any suggestions? -- Christopher J. Fazio, V.M.D. Hope, New Jersey ...