Is there a way to protect individual cells?

Hello, is there a way to protect individual cells?  Thank you

--
amos7
amos79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2759

amos79 Wrote:
> Hello, is there a way to protect individual cells?  Thank you!

Go to *Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet*

Regards

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47112

Good afternoon Amos79

But remember that this will protect only cells that have the protection
flag set and that new workbooks have all cells set to protected as
default.  To set the protect flag to false, select all the cells you
want UNPROTECTED and then press ctrl + 1, protections and unchecked the
"locked" box.  Then you can use the Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932

All cells are protected by default, but not effective until the sheet is
protected.   Before protecting the sheet, you want to either turn
off protection for cells you want to change or to turn off protection
for all cells, and then protect the cells you don't want to change
before turning on sheet protection.

Select the cells you want to change , then
Format,  cells,  protection

The unprotect all cells first before protecting just some
of the cells use  Ctrl+A  to select all cells,
or in 2003 use Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar to select all cells
   Format, cells, protection
---
HTH,

"BenjieLop" <BenjieLop.1w0z2i_1127837113.8977@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> amos79 Wrote:
> > Hello, is there a way to protect individual cells?  Thank you!
>

> Go to *Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet*
>
> Regards.
>

> --
> BenjieLop

> BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11019
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471120

amos79,

By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked  can be edited. Be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

 If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"amos79" <amos79.1w0z2d_1127837109.8024@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:amos79.1w0z2d_1127837109.8024@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello, is there a way to protect individual cells?  Thank you!
>

> --
> amos79
> amos79's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27591
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471120

Name cells before sort
Hi everyone I've a long list of clients, all with values. I have to count and sum them all but first i have to name them all. I'd like, if possible, to do a sort first and name it all and then put the list back how it was, but i loose the reference of the names. Any ideas? Tks in advance Pedro Hi Pedro, Try using a pivot table to summarize your data. For more help see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot...

Can I highlight a cell and link it to another workbook?
I need to highlight one cell and link it to another cell in a different workbook where I want to enter a text definition of the first cell. I don't think linking works because that just gives me the same information in a different cell. I want to be able to click on a cell in one worksheet and be able to "flip" to its definition in another worksheet. Thanks! -- Jenn Create a hyperlink... Click the cell you want to link so it is the active cell. Go to the Insert menu and choose 'hyperlink' In the hyperlink window select the 'Place in this Document' button...

Locate a cell, based on a criteria, then use the 'Cell' command...
I am using a pivot table to configure some data. In the first column, the pivot table of course displays only one instance of the text representing of data group. What I need to do is determine in which cell a particular item of text (i.e. the criteria) resides in. Once I can locate the cell where my 'criteria' text string resides, I can then use the CELL function to return the row number. My question is... what excel formula can I use to locate a cell in a single column range, where the cell contains the text = "XYZ" My eventual plan is to then use the following ...

Hidden Cells #4
How do you total the number of cells in a column without includnig the hidden cells in the same column? If the cells are hidden as a result of filtering, you could use something like: =SUBTOTAL(9,A2:A8) If you have manually hidden the rows, I don't know how you achieve what you want Regards Trevor "Helpme" <Helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB29AD75-E25B-40EC-AB7D-5C9A6DADE6F3@microsoft.com... > How do you total the number of cells in a column without includnig the > hidden > cells in the same column? Trevor and Helpme. If row...

Is there a way to align multiple marked objects (to a leftmost object)?
From other, similar tools I know that I can mark multiple objects (e.g. rectangle boxes) and hit a magic hotkey. All objects are then vertically left align according to the FIRST marked object. Or horizontally bottom aligned depending on the hotkey. Is there something similar in Visio? Cam On 14 Nov 2008 19:03:01 GMT, cpet_magnus@hotmail.com (Camille Petersen) wrote: >From other, similar tools I know that I can mark multiple objects (e.g. rectangle boxes) >and hit a magic hotkey. All objects are then vertically left align according to the FIRST marked object. > >Or horizontall...

Way to turn off "show in Groups" globally
When I look at E-Mail folders in Outlook (2003), by default "show in groups" (View / Arrange by / Show in Groups) is turned on. It's clear how to turn this off for any single folder, but is there a way to turn it off globally? I have over 1,000 folders in my E-Mail PST file. do you have many custom views? if not, the best way is to restart outlook using the /cleanviews switch. Then go to View, Arrange By, Current view, Define view and choose Messages, then modify and change the grouping. if you have a lot of custom views, you can try changing the grouping in Views but ...

Migration from 9.0 to 10.0
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C91A52.ECCB32B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Everone, I could be wrong but 1.. Is there a simplified document or step-by-step follow up = available; to restore the data from ver.9.0 to 10.0 and make it = workable. 2.. I have tried to look for some, on CustomerSource/PartnerSource and = everytime I go there I end up seeing hundreds of docs. but no output. It = is not easy to find what is needed and almost every link points to = another lin...

directing the sum of a cell to either of two cells depending on va
I have a spreadsheet for working out hours worked that ends like this..... Total Hours _ Add Credit brought forward _ Deduct debit BF _ Total Hours for the week _ Less Standard hours - 36 Total _ What i need to do is forward this balance to another copy of this sheet using a formula that says if its a positive number then it goes to the credit cell but if its a negative number then it goes to the debit cell. Hope this makes sense. If not please ask - I need help. Thanks Debi Would 2 seperate "if" functions work for you. In the debit column put, "if&quo...

Is there a way to track quantities other than item type 1?
We're trying to come up with a better way to track component items v.s. sales inventory items in the inventory module. We sell manufacture and sell eletronic equipment. To simplify matters, say we sell pc's. So in our sales inventory we have pc100, pc200 and pc300 and we are tracking the quantities of these pc's we have on hand so they're set up as item type 1-Sales Inventory. To make the pc's we have components motherboard1, motherboard2, powersupply1, powersupply2, videocard1, videocard2, case1, case2, and case3. ( the only difference between pc200 and pc300 is ...

Recover Outlook 2002 Archive file from Norton Protected Recycle Bin
Deleted Outlook 2002 backup/archive file by mistake. Found it in Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Made copies then tried to restore one copy from Nortons and one copy through Outlook import, both attempts failed with same results. Outlook does not recongonize file as personal folders file. Any suggestions. Assuming read only hasnt been set, Try running the repair tool, scanpst.exe on the pst. You may have to run it several times. Then in OL file/open, the pst "Larry" <onsitecs@fuse.net> wrote in message news:188ce01c44af4$0b2bc4f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Deleted Outlook 200...

Using text in a cell in a formula
I need to have a formula use the text of adjacent cells to determine where to look for values. I want to grab data from multiple datasheets but I don't want to have to type the sheet name in every formula, I want the formula to grab the name of the sheet from an adjacent cell. i.e. I need a formula like =if(sheet1!B2>0,100,""), but I need a function that will fill in the sheet name from the text value of an adjacent cell that would have the sheet name in it as I will be doing this for multiple cells on the same sheet. see your other post -- Biff Microsoft...

how do I restrict cell input to dates only?
how do I restrict cell input to dates only? I want a message to be displayed informing the user that only dates are allowed in the cell. Try data|validation. On the settings tab, you can specify that the cell wants dates. James E Slack wrote: > > how do I restrict cell input to dates only? I want a message to be displayed > informing the user that only dates are allowed in the cell. -- Dave Peterson Have a look at Data > Validation Under the "Allow" drop down choose date -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter&...

Removing text from cells
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with a list of reference numbers in column A. The numbers are like this. AAA/12345/Smith J Mr What I want to do is remove the text after the last / eg. Smith J Mr. I have thousands of cells I need to remove this on. Please help. Thanks. Hi Craig are all the entries the same number of characters for the first two sections, AAA/12345/ BBB/67890/ etc if so you can do this using a "helper" column - in column B type ==LEFT(A1,10) and then double click on the fill handle (bottom right hand side of cell) to fill down now copy column B click on A1 and ch...

Activating a sound alert on cell value
I have a excel book where I link on-line quotes from internet. HOW DO I SET UP AN ALERT TO ACTIVATE A SOUND WHEN THE CONTENT IN A CERTAIN CELL REACHES A PRE-DETERMINED VALUE? I have not worked with Visual basic before and its Excel 2003 Im using. Can anyone help please? (It would be great if the formula is in Swedish). Kind Regards, Sebastian Flyte ...

sum a cell value over 75
Please help!! Excel beginner! I need to build a formula that will add any remaining value over 75 in a cell. For example: In cell A1 = 76.5 In cell A2 - I need a formula that will sum anything over 75 and enter 1.5 into cell A2. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!! > For example: > In cell A1 = 76.5 > In cell A2 - I need a formula that will sum anything over 75 and enter 1.5 > into cell A2. Perhaps, as a start .. try in A2: =IF(A1>75,1.5,"") A2 will return 1.5 if A1 contains a number exceeding 75, otherwise A2 will just appear empty ("") -- ...

Allow VBA code to change a locked cell??
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I have written some VBA code that sets the values in certain cells using code like the following: Worksheets("MySheet").Range("A5") = MyValue This code works when my worksheet is not protected and cell A5 is not locked. When I protect the worksheet (with A5 locked), my code does not work. I get run-time error '1004' - "The cell or chart that you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only". I'd like to keep the cell locked (so users cannot edit it), but I do want my VBA code to be able...

Way to delete all entries in Outlook Cal for a prior year?
Is there a way to delete all entries in Outlook Calendar for a prior time period? Use the All appointments view and sort by date- select the older items and delete. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Outlook do you use? http://forums.slipstick.com/s...

Links between cells
I have cells linked within my workbook so that I change a source tab and automatically update other tabs. The text updates fine. The color of target won't change when I update the source color. Any suggestions. Hi not possible in Excel. Even with VBA event macros not feasible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "lsm" <lsm@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D0940D5D-A044-4B50-945F-B5F749D0DAC7@microsoft.com... > I have cells linked within my workbook so that I change a source tab and > automatically update other tabs. The text updates...

Changing Names of Multiple Cell Link Ranges
I have a series of drop down boxes created with the Forms menu. The cell link range for each dropdown is different, as follows: Cell Link Box1 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp1 Cell Link Box2 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp2 Cell Link Box3 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp3 Cell Link Box...n = DemandBase_A_UndistExp...n I want to change them all at once to: DemandBase_A_OtherCost1 DemandBase_A_OtherCost2 DemandBase_A_OtherCost... I know I can change the entire name using the following code: Sub Change_Drop_Link() For Each bx In ActiveSheet.DropDowns If bx.LinkedCell = "DemandBase_A_UndistExp1" Then ...

cell formula
I have a cell formula i want to modify so it says "YES" if today is a monday and "No" if today is any other day of the week. =IF(B9="","YES","NO") at this stage it works if B9 is not empyy is this possible? thanks rslc Hi, How about this =IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=2,"Yes","No") -- Mike When competing hypotheses are...

add a delivery report/read receipt to an excel cell
is it possible to add a delivery report/read receipt to a 2003 excel spreadsheet cell from an Outlook email With some custom VBA programming, you should be able to do this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "bishop bass" <bishop bass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98338893-D851-4767-A7A7-7460EB94B508@microsoft.com... > is it possible to ad...

Vlookup on 0 cell entry
Hi I have some vlookup formulas on looking at cells with a 0. I am getting a return of #n/a in the cells. I would like these to be blank. How do I do this please? Thanks Brian On Nov 13, 4:27 pm, "brian.bake...@googlemail.com" <brian.bake...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I have some vlookup formulas on looking at cells with a 0. I am > getting a return of #n/a in the cells. I would like these to be blank. > How do I do this please? > > Thanks > > Brian Try this formula: =if(iserror(YOURFORMULA),"",YOURFORMULA) hth Carlo ...

Paste Formula that skips a cell.
I have a user that has received a file from a client that must not be altered apart from the required edits. The user has already discounted VLookup. The list from the client has two rows per "site". I need to paste a formula which looks to another file, this source file has only one row per "site". How can I paste the formula down the Client's site list but not have to edit the thousands of pasted formula to align the cells. eg. the paste into say client H4 is ok but client H6 should look to source H5, and client H5 will be blank, Client H8 will look to source H6....

Import "tab name" to cells
Hi. Is there a way to import the name of each tab to each worksheet? I'm creating a rather large worksheet and each workpaper needs to have the name of tab listed at the top. Please help!! Instead of using the Header/Footer option, I need to show the name of each tab in, for example, cell A1 of each w/b. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >What do you mean? >You want to print them? > >"Stan" <stanyoo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >news:8db601c35b60$0b56c5d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> Hi. >> >> Is there a way to import the name of each ...

Using Autofilter on a protected sheet
When I protect a worksheet in Excel 2000 (with SP-3 loaded) the Autofilter function doesn't work. The arrows are visibile at the top of the selected cells, but I can't open the drop-down lists. The Autofilter has been created on a range of cells that are NOT locked. Does anybody know if there is a way around this problem? If you protect the worksheet programmatically, you can use the AutoFilter. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect John wrote: > When I protect a worksheet in Excel 2000 (with SP-3 > loaded) the Autofil...