Is there a way to locate a specific Folder?

I would like to be able to have the Excel workbook find the "M
Documents" folder automatically when it is opened.  At work we hav
changed computers so many times in the last 3 weeks that I am tired o
always having to manually change the address in my macros to point t
the My Documents folder.

Is there a way to program things so it can Find the My Documents folde
automatically?  In other words, it would find the My Documents folde
for "Wendy"s desktop when Wendy was logged in, or Toms My Document
folder when HE is logged in...etc.

Thank you..

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:38:03 -0500, Eldraad
<<Eldraad.1alspd@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

>I would like to be able to have the Excel workbook find the "My
>Documents" folder automatically when it is opened.  At work we have
>changed computers so many times in the last 3 weeks that I am tired of
>always having to manually change the address in my macros to point to
>the My Documents folder.
>
>Is there a way to program things so it can Find the My Documents folder
>automatically?  In other words, it would find the My Documents folder
>for "Wendy"s desktop when Wendy was logged in, or Toms My Documents
>folder when HE is logged in...etc.

The FileSystemObject in the Scripting Runtime Library has a useful
little method called GetSpecialFolder which can return the Windows,
System or Temp folder. But not, alas, the My Documents folder. The
Environ function is another way of getting some settings, though as
far as I know that won't get you the My Documents folder either. (Yes,
I know that an environment variable can be set for that, but that's
going to be as much of a problem as the original one.)

AFAIK the only way to do it reliably is via an API call. If you "get"
API calls, you can fathom what the following does at your leisure. If
you don't, don't worry about it; just copy and paste the following
code into a module, and call the GetMyDocsFolder function whenever you
need to. You don't really NEED to understand what it's doing to use
it.

As an example,

Sub TestGetMyDocs()

MsgBox GetMyDocsFolder

End Sub

will in my case return

C:\Documents and Settings\Hank Scorpio\My Documents

when I'm logged in under my own name rather than one of my other
accounts. It'll return (say) C:\Documents and Settings\Guest2\My
Documents
if I'm logged in on the Guest2 account.

This is, I presume, what you're after.  (I'm on Win XP Professional.)

CAUTION! I ripped this out of one of my VB libraries, and had to take
out substantial chunks of error handling and other "bells and
whistles" code from my original procedure. Hopefully I haven't missed
anything, though; I've tested the code below and it does still seem to
work in the same way as the procedure from which it was ripped. Be
careful of any word wrapping issues as well.

--------------------------------------
Option Explicit

'Registry Constants
Private Const HS_RegDT_REG_SZ As Long = 1
Private Const HS_RegRK_HKEY_CURRENT_USER As Long = &H80000001
Private Const HS_RegAM_KEY_QUERY_VALUE As Long = &H1

'----- Registry open / close functions
Private Declare Function RegOpenKeyEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegOpenKeyExA" (ByVal hkey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, _
   ByVal ulOptions As Long, ByVal samDesired As Long, phkResult As _
   Long) As Long

Private Declare Function RegCloseKey Lib "advapi32.dll" _
   (ByVal hkey As Long) As Long

'----- Registry data reading functions.
Private Declare Function RegQueryValueExNULL Lib "advapi32.dll" _
 Alias _
   "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hkey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As _
   String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, ByVal lpData _
   As Long, lpcbData As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function RegQueryValueExString Lib _
 "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hkey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As _
   String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, ByVal lpData _
   As String, lpcbData As Long) As Long

Function GetMyDocsFolder() As String

'Path to the key that we're interested in.
Const SC_MYDOCS_KEY_PATH As String = _
 "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" _
  & "\Explorer\Shell Folders\"

'Key that we're interested in
Const SC_MYDOCS_KEY As String = "Personal"

'Key's handle, populated by the Open Key API call.
Dim h_Key As Long

'Data type returned from the Null query.
Dim l_DataType As Long

'Size of the data stored in the key, returned by the Null query.
Dim l_BufferSize As Long

'The return function value from an API call.
Dim l_APIRetVal As Long

'Returned key value from the Read call.
Dim s_ReturnValue As String

'*************************************************************************
'----- Set default value & enable error handler.
GetMyDocsFolder = ""

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'*************************************************************************
'----- Use the Open Key API call to return the handle to h_key.
l_APIRetVal = RegOpenKeyEx(HS_RegRK_HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
 SC_MYDOCS_KEY_PATH, 0, HS_RegAM_KEY_QUERY_VALUE, h_Key)

'----- Do a Null call to get the key type and size.
l_APIRetVal = RegQueryValueExNULL(h_Key, SC_MYDOCS_KEY, _
 0&, l_DataType, 0&, l_BufferSize)

'----- Read the string.
If l_DataType = HS_RegDT_REG_SZ Then
    'Create a string consisting of null bytes. The length of the
    'string equals the length of the Registry entry as determined
    'via the buffer value above.
    s_ReturnValue = String(l_BufferSize, 0)

    l_APIRetVal = RegQueryValueExString(h_Key, SC_MYDOCS_KEY, 0&, _
     l_DataType, s_ReturnValue, l_BufferSize)

    'Remove trailing null. (Strings returned from API calls are C
    'strings, not VB strings. This "converts" them.)
    s_ReturnValue = Left$(s_ReturnValue, l_BufferSize - 1)

End If

'*************************************************************************
'Assign returned value to the ApplicationDataDirectory property.

GetMyDocsFolder = s_ReturnValue

ExitPoint:
'Ensure that errors do not result in an endless loop.
On Error Resume Next

RegCloseKey (h_Key)

Exit Function

'*************************************************************************
ErrorHandler:

MsgBox "Error reading the My Documents folder. " _
 & "Error No: " & Err.Number _
 & vbCrLf & Err.Description

Resume ExitPoint

End Function

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
8/7/2004 10:05:14 AM
Another way:

Option Explicit
Sub testme03()

    Dim wsh As Object
    Dim myPath As String

    Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    myPath = wsh.SpecialFolders.Item("mydocuments")

    MsgBox myPath

End Sub

"Eldraad <" wrote:

> I would like to be able to have the Excel workbook find the "My
> Documents" folder automatically when it is opened.  At work we have
> changed computers so many times in the last 3 weeks that I am tired of
> always having to manually change the address in my macros to point to
> the My Documents folder.
>
> Is there a way to program things so it can Find the My Documents folder
> automatically?  In other words, it would find the My Documents folder
> for "Wendy"s desktop when Wendy was logged in, or Toms My Documents
> folder when HE is logged in...etc.
>
> Thank you...
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
8/7/2004 10:43:07 AM
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 05:43:07 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com>
wrote:

>Another way:
>
>Option Explicit
>Sub testme03()
>
>    Dim wsh As Object
>    Dim myPath As String
>
>    Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>    myPath = wsh.SpecialFolders.Item("mydocuments")
>
>    MsgBox myPath
>
>End Sub

Hi Dave,

Huh. I must confess that I Did Not Know that one. I'll have to look at
the Windows Scripting Host more closely. The only reason that I
haven't so far is because I know that it's disabled in some corporate
environments because of the .vbs virus issue. I therefore prefer to
avoid it if I can. Still, I may as well see what's on offer...

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
8/7/2004 9:27:24 PM
Try. Tools, Options, General.  Change default location.

0
anonymous (74722)
8/7/2004 10:59:21 PM
I used to feel the same way--until I saw how much you could easily do.  (and at
work, it's not disabled!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Patty, Thanks for showing me that one.  Have not tried it as th
Textfilepromptonrefresh (whew) has started working properly after
cleaned out a few errors.  That seems to get us by as long as the
don't use it on an NT4 machine again! Lol.

Hank Scorpio, WOW! Your dedication to helping people is fantastic!
That is a LOT of information you gave me...I am still having a
overload from it. Lol.

Dave Peterson, I tried your information and all was good with it.  M
stumbling block was finding the proper way to slip it into the code
have for each worksheet.

what I was hoping to fix was this For each of 5 worksheets (or do i
once and see if the mypath implanted in each sheet would be enough):

Sub Stat_Convert()
'
' Stat_Convert Macro
' Macro recorded 7/23/2004 by Eldraad
'

'
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"TEXT;C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\M
Documents\statistical.txt", _
Destination:=Range("A1"))

I was trying to merge the two codes together but managed to mess thng
up big time trying to plant the mypath variable in there.  It wa
probably a simple thing but...

Thank you all

You could use a public variable and retrive it once--workbook_open?????

or you could retrieve it each time you needed it:

Option Explicit
Function myDocumentsPath() As String

    Dim wsh As Object

    Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    myDocumentsPath = wsh.SpecialFolders.Item("mydocuments")

End Function

Sub Stat_Convert()
'
' Stat_Convert Macro
' Macro recorded 7/23/2004 by Eldraad
'

'
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
   "TEXT;" & myDocumentsPath() & "\statistical.txt", _
    Destination:=Range("A1"))
    '....
End With

End Sub

I didn't need the () in this expression:  myDocumentspath()
But I think I like them--since it makes it look like a function--not just a
variable.

"Eldraad <" wrote:

> These are a lot of good answers.
>
> Patty, Thanks for showing me that one.  Have not tried it as the
> Textfilepromptonrefresh (whew) has started working properly after I
> cleaned out a few errors.  That seems to get us by as long as they
> don't use it on an NT4 machine again! Lol.
>
> Hank Scorpio, WOW! Your dedication to helping people is fantastic!
> That is a LOT of information you gave me...I am still having an
> overload from it. Lol.
>
> Dave Peterson, I tried your information and all was good with it.  My
> stumbling block was finding the proper way to slip it into the code I
> have for each worksheet.
>
> what I was hoping to fix was this For each of 5 worksheets (or do it
> once and see if the mypath implanted in each sheet would be enough):
>
> Sub Stat_Convert()
> '
> ' Stat_Convert Macro
> ' Macro recorded 7/23/2004 by Eldraad
> '
>
> '
> With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
> "TEXT;C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\My
> Documents\statistical.txt", _
> Destination:=Range("A1"))
>
> I was trying to merge the two codes together but managed to mess thngs
> up big time trying to plant the mypath variable in there.  It was
> probably a simple thing but...
>
> Thank you all!
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
8/9/2004 10:02:38 PM
Thank you Dave Peterson!

I will pop the search into the workbook and just have each of th
worksheet macros use the variable information.

Again, thank you EVERONE for your help

All Messages go to Junk Mail folder !???
Using MS Outlook 2003, I have been unable to change the Junk Mail setup to prevent it from sending absolutely all my mail all the time to the Junk Mail folder. TIA GC Uncheck all of your rules and re-enable them one by one until you find the one that is responsible. You can also look at the addresses you have added to your Junk Mail Filter to see if you mistakenly added your own. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without rea...

Viewing Specific Columns at Various Times
I have a spreadsheet that has accounts in Column A and data in some of the rest of the columns. For example Columns B through M are month columns and Column N is Year Total. Then Columns U through AF are Year- to-Date by month and Column AG is Total Year Y-T-D. When reviewing January, I want to see only Columns B, N, O & U and when reviewing February I want to see only Columns C, N, O & V. Is there a way to group these Columns with a simple process? Thank you. John John Check out View>Custom Views. Name one January and the other February. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 27...

Reading messages in entourage 2008 sent mail folder that were sent from iphone via exchange properly
Messages sent through the exchange server via the iphone show up in the MIME format in the entourage sent mail folder. Does anyone know what needs to be done so that these iphone sent messages are unencoded properly in the entourage sent mail folder? Thanks On 1/30/10 4:02 PM, in article C78A32C9.AAF4%jbenton@maefield.com, "Joe Benton" <jbenton@maefield.com> wrote: > Messages sent through the exchange server via the iphone show up in the MIME > format in the entourage sent mail folder. Does anyone know what needs to be > done so that these iphone sent...

Copy all emails to another user/pub folder automatically
Does anyone know a way to have all email being sent from some specified users CC'd to another user/public folder? I know on the properites of the store I can select the archive all emails option, but that's for loddy-doddy-everybody. Other than relying on the users to CC the other person, is there a way to modify the new mail form or some other way (NATIVE to EXCH2003) to do this? It would also be good if the sender can't remove the CC, but not 100% necessary. TIA -Joel On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:33:43 -0500, "Joel" <nunya@biz.org> wrote: >Does anyone kn...

Can select a rip folder for Media Player
I am trying to rip my CD to media player, When I go to tools->options->rip music. I try to set the rip music to this location, by clicking on the change button, however nothing happens and no location is defaulted. If I try to rip a CD it says "Media Player cant rip one or more tracks from the cd" I reinstalled windows 7 pro, and I it still wont fix the problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Daniel office9@comcast.net On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:46:01 -0700, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to rip my CD to media player, W...

Chart Shows data wrong way around
Hi, I have this strange problem with a simple chart. Y Axis shows correct =A30.00 - and scaling upwards. X Axis is the problem. As you look at the chart the X axis displays the days correct 1 2 3 4 5 and so on. Now the problem is the actual bars read right to left, so day 1 has the bar over it for the last day and the last day has the bar for day 1. I am no way an Excel expert :) so if this is something very obvious then "opps" but any help is much appreciated on how to have them matching up correctly. I don't know why yours is backwards. If it is a horizontal bar chart, th...

Looking for ways to reduce backup time on a 140 GB IS
Hello , We are looking for various methods to reduce the backup time of 140GB IS. Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 Enterprise, 2 node cluster priv.edb is about 120, 20 gb public, currently only one group and one mailbox store on this cluster. Using netbackup using the MS API. Runs for long hours (9 hours or more) and when it reaches 1008 uncommited transcations we have to restart the IS. Like to know if this is a valid solution.. Can we create a new storage group and a mailbox store on the same server and "move mailbox" to the newly created group. Will this reduce the backup tim...

Way do do search/replace on beginning/end of cell w/o functions?
Hi, I've been writing various functions to search/replace beginning/ends of cells, however wondering if there is a way to do the simpler ones with just Search/Replace function. In word I'd just do ^pString orString^p but not sure if there is a symbol I can use to mean beginning/end of cell. For instance I want to replace all Cells with Board Certified but not where * Board Certified I can of course write a function but the sheet is unwieldy as it is and it is a simple 'request'... hi, ! for a begin/end cells replacement, try first with a cust...

Public Folder permissions for Groups/DL's and Native mode.
Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003. I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be saved. Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this was due to the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. That's also what the event log tips me about. I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers. My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that the to m...

File format specification
Can anybody please recommend a document giving the detail of the ASCII file specification relating to the importation of data into EXCEL from an external application Thank you very much I'm not sure I understand your question. Wouldn't the specification be dependent upon the layout of the text file. And text files could have lots of different formats. Nick wrote: > > Can anybody please recommend a document giving the detail of the ASCII file > specification relating to the importation of data into EXCEL from an > external application > > Thank you very much ...

Is there a way to lock the margins in Word?
Hello, I've created an electronic version of the company stationary and I'd like to lock the margins so they cannot inadvertently be altered to invade the white space of the corporate logo that resides in the left hand margin mid-way down the page. If there is no way of locking the margins - is there any way of allowing the end user to edit the body of the document only and not touch the margins, headers, footers? Hi Deirdre, You could insert a macro like the following into the document's template: Private Sub FilePageSetup() MsgBox "Sorry, that option is n...

Outlook 2002 Personal Folder problem
When booting the system and just as Outlook started loading it gave me the following message: the data file "old personal folders" was not closed properly. this file is being checked for problems. I watched the little window showing the minutes that took to check and at the end Outlook worked fine. It was very annoying and time consuming. I was planning to address the issue in the same forum I'm doing now but then disaster hit. I had to re-install everything. I used Norton Ghost and re-installation worked perfectly! Outlook did not give any problems and the personal f...

Removing Unused Public Folders
I've been tasked with cleaning up the public folders within our Exchange 2003 servers. Anything that has not been used within the last 6 to 12 months, I need to remove. Is there a way to find out when was the last time a public folder was used??? On 21 Jun 2006 12:28:10 -0700, "Trey" <treytechie@gmail.com> wrote: > >I've been tasked with cleaning up the public folders within our >Exchange 2003 servers. >Anything that has not been used within the last 6 to 12 months, I need >to remove. >Is there a way to find out when was the last time a public fold...

Is there a way to generate a new Word doc everytime I enter data in an Excel row?
Or anything comparable. I hope I explain this well enough... Is there a way that after I fill in a row of data, I can somehow have that data fill in a Word doc for printing or emailing? I am a bit of a newbie and don't know any VBA yet. Thanks! Look at Word Help for 'mail merge' or more specifically the phrase Data sources you can use for mail merge and look at the entry that talks to using Excel for the data source. "Edward" wrote: > Or anything comparable. > I hope I explain this well enough... > > Is there a way that after I fill in a row of data...

Can't create public folders
I'm in the middle of setting up and deploying a new Exchange 2003 server. This is a new server and was not upgraded from a previous version of Exchange. This is also the only Exchange Server in the organization. I am able to create a public folder from my Outlook client. This folder is available to other users but it does not show up in AD Exchange Objects. When I go to System Manager, it does show up under Servers/Server/FSG/Public Folder Store/Public Folders. It does not show up under Folders/Public Folders. When I try to create a new folder in SM under Folders/Public Foldes it...

Duplicate system folders in Exchange 2003
Hi, I've noticed that after a disaster recovery exercise (or series of exercises), I have ended up with duplicate system folders. The three that are duplicated are: schema-root StoreEvents{GUID} (same GUID for all three) OWAScratchPad{GUID} (same GUID for all three) In fact, AFAICT whenever I use BackupExec to restore the public folders, a new duplicate of these folders appears. They're not causing any problems that I can see, no errors etc. Is it safe to delete all but one of them (and if so, which one should I leave - the oldest or newest)? I know, "if it aint broke, don'...

Public folder "send as" permissions in Exchange 2000
We are running Exchange 2000 native in a Win2K native AD, and have a GROUP of people that want to be able to "send as" a public folder. We created the email-enabled public folder and the global security group... and populated the security group but can't seem to find the right place to put the security group to give them the right to "send as" the folder. Most of the info we have found on the subject deals with someONE's mailbox, not a public folder. Suggestions? Directions? Please!!! Thanks! Mike ...

is there any way you can retrieve a document that you forgot to s.
is there any way you can retrieve a document that you forgot to s... mo <mo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > is there any way you can retrieve a document that you forgot to s... Hint: This space is designed to contain information you couldn't fit into the subject, because the subject field is not designed to hold an entire message. Try going to Start > Run, typing %temp%, clicking OK. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Windows Media Player 11 doesn't monitor shared network folder
Hi I am using Windows Media Player 11 in my Paralles virtual machine on a Macbook. I share my iTunes music folder with Windows XP in Parallel and added that shared network folder to WMP as a monitored folder. However, when there are new songs added to the iTunes folder on my mac, WMP doesn't show them in the WMP library automatically but only after I clicked on "File - Add to library" again and scanned this folder manually. I thought monitoring means that all new files in the monitored folders will be added automatically to the WMP library? Any suggestions? O...

Selecting a folder to save xml to...
I have the following code that works fine in Excel 2003 and I am looking for something similar that will produce the same result but for Excel 2000 can anyone help? If xmlfolder = "" Then MsgBox "Select folder for the XML file", vbCritical With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker) .Title = "SELECT FOLDER" .AllowMultiSelect = False ' Folder selected If .Show = -1 Then xmlfolder = .SelectedItems.Item(1) & "\" End If Regards Jamie Take a look he...

Is there a way that you can change the appearance of the office 2008 products
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop In Microsoft Office 2007 you can change the look of the computer. In Mac and office 2008 the appearance is limited. There seems to be only to colours available Graphite and Mac Blue is there more available and if so where can i find them? Graphite and Word Blue are the only colours available for Word 2008. In the other Office apps, the blue is replaced with orange and green, respectively. There are no other options to choose from, and these colours only affect the Elements Gallery. As...

Client archive of Outlook 2003 folders...
I recently setup an Exchange Server 2003 (SBS 2003) environment for my company email. I am using DNS/SMTP to send/recieve all emails and the exchange databases (as opposed to my .pst files). My question is regarding the archiving of client (Outlook 2003) mail folders (inbox, sent, deleted, etc...). I am use to doing it at the individual workstation level. Does that change with Exchange or am I still setting up each workstation to archive to a .pst file based on my settings? Also, I would love to find a way to lock down the Outlook clients to all look and act the same. Is that desire a ...

Send AS for Public Folder
Exchange 5.5 SP4 I have created a Public Folder. Only 3 People have access to that folder to read the email sent to it. They are all designated as Folder Owners. The Default setting is Contributor. I would like one these People to be able to reply to email sent to the Folder as if it has come from the Folder email address. ie Send As. Is this possible and if so how do I implement it. Thank you for any help. Kevan This should help you out. 152113 XADM: How to Send as a Public Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=152113 -- Thanks, James Burrage This posting is provided &quo...

Suppress "Missing Xml Comment" on specific methods
I would like to suppress the warning on some methods (e.g. Dispose which doesn't really need a comment and also some private methods I just dont want to explain). What I'd like is a way to do the following: /// <Summary> /// Some text ... /// </Summary> public void SomeMethod () { // This method will get documented correctly } /// <NoComments /> public void SomeNonDocumentedMethod () { // This method will not appear in documentation } I hope it can be done. ...

folders list outlook
until yesterday when I brought up outlook I got a folder tree on the left side - inbox, contacts, notes, ... now all I get is the inbox contents. must have hit a hot key combo or something to loose it but sure would like to get it back. while I'm here is there a way of turning off hot keys for all of Office? I'm particularly annoyed when I fumble at the keyboard in WORD and end up somewhere in lala land. "pine hill" wrote in message news:2E1A2B11-7FDE-4F37-A13C-401E6769FE15@microsoft.com... > until yesterday when I brought up outlook I got a folder tree on the...