Is there a way to hide text in a cell?

I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should
only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer.  Is there a
way to hide text in a cell?  I have done it in the past but I can't seem to
figure this out now.

IT

For a very casual and inexperienced user you may get away with something like
this, but anything you do can be easily un-done by just about anyone who could
access these news groups.

You could format the text to white so's it wouldn't show in the cell.

You can go to Format>Cell>Protection and check "hidden" then
Tools>Protection>Priotect Sheet with a password.

This password would be supplied to the need-to-see users.

This would not show the text in the formula bar.

BUT, if I enter =cellref in another cell(assuming that other cell was unlocked
for editing) I would see the text from the original cell.

Excel's security is weak.  Best thing to do with passwords is print them on a
sheet of paper and tape that to the underside of a drawer in your desk.

Don't bother to look for mine there.  I use another method<g>

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:57:02 -0700, IT Assistant
<ITAssistant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should
>only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer.  Is there a
>way to hide text in a cell?  I have done it in the past but I can't seem to
>figure this out now.

0
Gord
4/26/2005 11:14:00 PM
Another way to hide data in a cell . . . select the cell with the data.  Go
to the Standard Toolbar and select Format -> Cells.  In the Format Cells
dialog box go to the Numbers tab and select the Custom option.  In the Type
input area, type in three semi-colons i.e.   ;;;

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"IT Assistant" wrote:

> I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should
> only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer.  Is there a
> way to hide text in a cell?  I have done it in the past but I can't seem to
> figure this out now.

Extract phone number front block of text
I have a webpage that lists business names, address, phone number, etc. There is no definite pattern to how they entered the text. What I' like to do is something like.... -Search cell A1 for "-", return the 3 characters to the left of th "-".- In the next column do... -Search cell A1 for "-", return the 4 characters to the right of th "-".- Then I can concatenate the two and add in the area code. TIA guys/gals. PS. I tried searching but didn't know exactly what to search for an didn't get very far -- Tec ------------------------...

Linking Formats Across Cells
anyone know if I can link formats across cells? For example, if I fill a cell with a color, can I link it to another cell that will do the same ? thanks. Try the FormatPainter, the little PaintBrush icon up in the tool bar...........click on your colored cell, then click on the icon, then click and drag on the cells you want to be the same........... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "RB" <RB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE8ABE47-2671-447C-8CC6-2D784EEECE00@microsoft.com... > anyone know if I can link formats across cells? For example, if I fill a cell ...

How do I connect cell color to bar chart color?
I have seen an excel spread sheet bar chart where the colors of the bars were connected to the color of the cell. I was not able to determine how that was accomplished and the author of the spread sheet no longer works for the company that sent me the data. Does anyone know how this can be done? Hi Bob, It's possible this was done using a vba macro. For a non VBA approach have a look at Jon's examples of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Bob Freerks wrote: > I have seen an excel spread sheet bar chart where the color...

I want a round invitation for a wedding shower with circle text
The invitation I found is a circle, with the invite going around the outside edge of the circle and more information inside that circle and it is also circular. It has a flower and brad in the middle. The instructions for it simply say, type text on computer, make circular by using WordArt feature. My computer is running on Vista operating system. I have a sample WordArt circle here http://msauer.mvps.org/wordart_in_microsoft_publisher.htm Scroll way down. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Kay-Kay" <Kay-Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Is there a way to protect just one cell, not the whole sheet?
The books I read seem to indicate so, but say you first must turn on the 'Protect Sheet' option. When I do that, everything is protected. Any help much appreciated. Hi try the following: - first select all cells you don't want to protect - goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked' - now protect your sheet -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Fred Exley" <fexly221@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:10hsd5t42ghdt65@corp.supernews.com... > The books I read seem to indicate so, but say you first must turn on the > &...

Two different values in a single cell...
Hi, Is it possible to have two different values (coming from another sheet) in a single cell? For example, 0.87 (0.97) In that case 0.87 comes from a cell on sheet1 and 0.97 from a cell on sheet2. Thanks for the help. Patrick, Hi You can concatenate two results into one cell. This makes it inot a text cell, however, so you cannot do maths on it quite so easily. To join the info, just use the CONCATENATE function, or the & sign =A2&" " &A3 You may also need the TEXT funtion, depending on what format you want the result to be -- Andy. "Patrick" <an...

On replies & forwards
When I reply to an email, it uses annoying blue text. I can't see anyplace that I can turn that off. I have Outlook 2000. Does anyone know something about how to stop this annoying behavior? Regards, Alan Easy fix--Tools, Options, Mail Format tab, Fonts, Select Fonts. Select your font, color for reply or anything else. "Alan B." wrote: > When I reply to an email, it uses annoying blue text. I can't see anyplace > that I can turn that off. I have Outlook 2000. Does anyone know something > about how to stop this annoying behavior? > > Regards, > A...

Is there a way to hide/restrict Recipient Containers in Exchange 5
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a way to hide or restrict Recipient Containers in Exchange 5.5? Thanks, TNA ...

text in Bullets/points in cell
How can one write the text in bullets or points in the cell in excel 2007. Hold the ALT key, then on the NUMERIC KEYPAD, type 0149, then let go of the ALT key -- you'll have your bullet •<== works here, too! "kamal" wrote: > How can one write the text in bullets or points in the cell in excel 2007. ...

Want to find max in a range then return a name from a cell
The spreadsheet has 5 people each person has a list describing thei sales performance. Each has their highest sale, highest over cost sale etc. I have a table with a describtion highest sale, highest over cost sal etc. I want the cell beside each title to calcute who has the highest figur and place their name in this cell. :confused: I have a spreadsheet with lists containing highest sale highest average sale etc. What I want to do is create a formula tha will find the max value within a list please note these values ar spread out and do not run on the spreadsheet side by side or one aft...

Excel 2003: Cell rounds 16 digit numbers- How to advoid rounding?
When I enter a 16 digit credit card number, excel rounds the last digit to 0; How do I format to reatin the exact number I entered (Have formatted cells to numbers, no decimal places now.) Hi, Format as text or precede your number with an apostrophe; it won't show up in the cell. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Max T." wrote: > When I enter a 16 digit credit card number, excel rounds the last digit to 0; > How do...

how to add a letter in front of each number in a cell
I am working on this project & I cant figure out how to add a letter in front of each number in a cell without clicking in to each individual cell and typing it in. (very time consuming and tedious) The problem is - it's not all the cells but a majority, all of the numbers are in the same column. To explain, these are documents in storage. Each item is assigned a number (not in any particular numerical order but they have to stay in the order they are. Example: X39655 X39656 X39711 39662 39664 39665 The last three numbers need the X in front of them. Any ideas? Thanks so muc...

error in excel help. how to select a cell after clicking the Select All button?
Hello "To see all the relationships on a worksheet, in an empty cell type = (equal sign), and then click the Select All button. Select the cell, and press Trace Precedents twice." is written in Excel 2002 help. It's not possible to "Select the cell" following the procedure. Or How to "select the cell" in the procedure? begin 666 0486.gif M1TE&.#EA%0`4`)$``/___V9XI0```)D`F2'Y! ``````+ `````5`!0```)* MC(^I`>T/GP&BUHBG<'MCIW%-]VF61Z'0A%DE,[:GQU+M@ \T,T-"KFO45)P> @8/AP96"R5TI)6MIBQ$@H]I'P3EEM-UO[KA9D10$`.P`` ` end Ma...

How to I convert text to curves in Microsoft Publisher?
You can't. This is a feature normally found in draw applications rather than DTP applications. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Michael, you can put text into Word Art, make it look like normal text by choosing a basic style and then you can shape it with Word Art shapes. It won't be practical for long text but for titles and stuff it works terrific. -- Katmido University of Delaware "Ed Bennett" wrote: > You can't. This is a feature normally found in draw applications rather > than DTP applications. > > -- > Ed Benn...

Stop multiple cells from being automatically selected
When I place the cursor in a cell, it selects that cell and the 3 directly below it. Why is this happening and how do I stop it? I have already exited the program and even rebooted. Thanks. hi if you are using 03 or earlier, try tapping the F8 key. this is the extended select mode. it's boolean. tap once to enter extended mode, again to exit. if you are useing 07, this is a bug. try adjusting your zoom. see this....http://tinyurl.com/3wofsf regards FSt1 "JDandLinda" wrote: > When I place the cursor in a cell, it selects that cell and the 3 directly > ...

Convert text to date 12-21-07
Hello, I am trying to link to a text file. I was having trouble converting 20011975 into a date/time format but it wasn't working. So I formatted the field as a text file. I have tried converting this to 20/01/1975 in a query but it comes out with errors and wierd dates. I've had a look at the other messages and had a go but no go. thanks Regardless of how your dates are displayed either by formatting or based on regional settings, all date functions exppect a month day year format. To convert your string to a date field: strTextDate = "20011975" SomeDate = DateSer...

Linking formulas to text boxes in VBA
Hi, I just posted this to the programmers section, but I think those folks are into more serious things than this! I'm newly experimenting with VBA, so apologies if this is a stupid question. Any help much appreciated! I have a For - Next loop that creates a formula linking a cell in an 'input sheet' ("Key") to a cell in any one of 200 sheets. For cells, this is no problem, using: For i = 1 to 200 Worksheets(i).Range("c2").Formula = "=Key!B" & i Next i My problem comes when I try to do the same with some text boxes that are in each of the 200 s...

If cell= a value then highlight a color?
Is there a way to have a cell auto highlight if it equals a value? For example if the cell says "Expired" then highlight red and if the cell equals "Expires soon" then highlight yellow. IF the cell equals "Current then no fill for that cell. The cells value is determined by an IF THEN statement. Thanks, Chance ...

How to set a range of cells in Excell to export to Outlook
I can't set a range of cells in an Excell Spreadsheet so I can export the wedding guest list to Outlook. What am I doing wrong? What have you tried? If you select the data and in the name box (Just to the left of the formula bar, that normally contains the cell address), type Database (Excel seems to like that one) and then press enter, you should be able to bring that into Outlook. (You might also have it as the only or left most sheet, I find that helps also -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS ...

How can I get cell reference
How can I automatically get the cell reference for the last cel containing text in a particular column that changes regulary? Any hel appreciated! *Thanks. :) -- Duncan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- DuncanG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1639 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27769 Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "DuncanG" <DuncanG.1fm25a@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitr...

how do I connect cells on two pages?
How do I connect a cell from a masterpage to another cell on a second page? The code that I was using, =Master!B4 , works, but shows a number zero on the second page. I do not want it to do that. Any suggestions? -- marketing123 Excel isn't very elegant about referencing blank cells. Try something like this: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2003, WinXP "marketing123" wrote: > How do I connect a cell from a masterpage to another cell on a second page? > The code that I was using, =Master!B4 , works, ...

How to add text to all existing records in one column?
Hi Friends, I have another question to ask. I had this problem many times - and do not know how to solve it. Ok: I have a column with information on patients blood samples, such as: RA3453 ST RA4322 TA I have to add "OCT" to each record in this column in most simple way (there are 18.000 records). The result for these samples should be like this: OCT RA3453 ST OCT RA4322 TA Thanks in advance Daniel (usmleboy) If your data always starts with RA, then select the column Edit|Replace what: RA with: OCT RA replace all. If your prefix varies, I'd use another column and fill...

Any way to highlight rows without using macros?
I thought I used to be able to highlight rows containing certain text but I can't figure it out now. Conditional formatting will only wor on individual cells, right? I work a lot with filtered lists, and if there were some way to sho not only the filtered row but also the one above and maybe the on below that would also achieve my objective, which is to have a forumul in thefiltered row that uses data from the previous row, and then t show them both together without any other rows. Sorry for the newbie-like question, but sometimes I just draw a blan on how to do something in Excel. ...

Split cell ascii
Is there anyway to split up a cell with several words and numbers to automatically split before the number for a new column or comma ex: the are going 123/45 split up = the are going, 123/45 Hi, where can the number appear - always at the end?, how many numbers can be in a sentence, more than one set?, do you want commas between all of them? Could your data look like this: 123 red fox or like this 123 red fox 456 green grass 890 and what do you do if you have this 123 456 true 432 546 Cheers, Shane "dk" wrote: > Is there anyway to split up a cell with severa...

Numbered Lists in Text Box
I have Publisher 2003 and I am creating a newletter. In this newsletter I am making a numbered list in a text box and I need it to go to next level when I tab like it does in Word. For instance I have the number 1, and when I enter at the end of that item and hit tab I need it to go to a. instead of the number 2. Is that possible in Publisher? Thanks in advance. No, it is not possible in Publisher. You will have to manually do this operation. Might try doing it in Word, it might carry over in a copy/paste operation. Or import a Word document under file. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http...