Is there a way I can enter a letter to proceed text a column of ce

I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I have
listed in a column.  Example:  All of column C has text... MPV001, MPV002,
MPV003, ETC.  I need to put a "W" in front of all the text. i.e. WMPV001,
WMPV002, WMPV003, ETC.  Is there a way to do this without manually typing W
in all the cells?  The spreadsheet has 1500 rows...
0
MelanieWW (3)

MelanieWW wrote:
> I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I
> have listed in a column.  Example:  All of column C has text...
> MPV001, MPV002, MPV003, ETC.  I need to put a "W" in front of all the
> text. i.e. WMPV001, WMPV002, WMPV003, ETC.  Is there a way to do this
> without manually typing W in all the cells?  The spreadsheet has 1500
> rows...

If all the cells begin with, say, "M" then go to Find and Replace and
replace M with WM

0
GordonBP1 (262)
12/13/2004 6:52:51 PM
Choose: 1) Do you want "W" to be an actual part of the cell value? or 2) do
you just want it to look like it's there but have the data remain as is?

1) In an empty column next to the original data, enter the formula

>> ="W"&A1

where A1 is the adjacent cell with the original data.  Copy the formula down
the rest of the way to apply it to the rest of the original column.  Cut
that new column and "Paste Special, Values" over the top of the original
column.

<or>

2) Creat a custom Format.

Select the column
Format>Cells
Category = Custom
Type = "W"@ (enter this on that line and it will be added to the list below)
Click "OK"

Hope that helps.

"MelanieWW" <MelanieWW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I have
> listed in a column.  Example:  All of column C has text... MPV001, MPV002,
> MPV003, ETC.  I need to put a "W" in front of all the text. i.e. WMPV001,
> WMPV002, WMPV003, ETC.  Is there a way to do this without manually typing
> in all the cells?  The spreadsheet has 1500 rows...

Thanks Gordon!  This solves the issue.  Much appreciated!

"Gordon" wrote:

> MelanieWW wrote:
> > I need to enter a source code (letter W) before all the text that I
> > have listed in a column.  Example:  All of column C has text...
> > MPV001, MPV002, MPV003, ETC.  I need to put a "W" in front of all the
> > text. i.e. WMPV001, WMPV002, WMPV003, ETC.  Is there a way to do this
> > without manually typing W in all the cells?  The spreadsheet has 1500
> > rows...
>
> If all the cells begin with, say, "M" then go to Find and Replace and
> replace M with WM

0
MelanieWW (3)

splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think
i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns be added to the worksheet ... i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results" cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ... so: if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle. "text to column" is ...

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

Can't use Merge feature
If I have a postcard file I've already made on the screen, when I try to pull up the "Merge" feature under Tools, it is shaded grey and I can't open it. It insists that I either form a new database list of addresses or edit the one that I want to merge. I don't want to edit the one I want to merge. I just want to MERGE it. If, however, I have just a postcard template on the screen (without it having been made into anything), I CAN pull up the "merge" feature under Tools. It is not shaded out. How do I un-shade the "merge" feature? To merg...

Finding duplicates in column
Hi, I have Excel 2002 and have 6000 emails addresses in a column. How can I find if there are any duplicates in that column? Thanks rock Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,$A1)>1,"Duplicate","") Cpy that down, then you can filter column B for Duplicate Sorry to be so newby Bob, but when you say 'copy' down, what exactly do you mean? I have entered the formula in B1 but.. Thanks rock Bob Phillips wrote: > Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of > > =IF(COUNTI...

can you tell me what an error 920 is?
I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is appreciated You can go to the following link and it explains the issue you are having and how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295691 "Julie" wrote: > I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep > getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is > appreciated > > > ...

can you see what i am writting?

Help ! formatting data to text

How can I choose alternate rows in a column?
My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can choose alternate elements and create 2 new columns then I can just subtract the 2 columns easily. Huh? "pnair" <pnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D47AD012-084B-49C6-8672-5067E8455D9E@microsoft.com... > My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of > difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can > choose alternate elements and create 2 new colum...

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

Column styles doesn't appear on the worksheet
Hello, one of my customers has changed the windows xp designs to its own. From this moment excel doesn't show the font color and the background color of a cell in the worksheet. Only in the print preview you can see the color settings of the cells. I'm not shure if this problem belongs to the changing of the windows xp designs, but from this moment it did occur. This occurs on new excel-documents and on existing ones. With another user account on the same machine the problem doesn't occur. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and even deleted user registry entries for Office...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

Upper Case Letters
Hi, I have *=DATE(2006,1+1,0)* in cell A1, formatted as mmmm yyyy, which appears as *January 2006*. How can I have it appear as *JANUARY 2006*? (I tried UPPER(DATE(2006,1+1,0)) but it didn't do it.) Thanks, Gos-C -- Gos-C ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gos-C's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14518 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508695 try =UPPER(TEXT(DATE(2006,1+1,0),"MMMM YYYY")) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "G...

Can't Stop External Hard Drive
I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port. I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them. I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer. But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped. It used to be that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive. But that's stopped working. Here are two questions: 1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?; 2. What is the worst that can happe...

Is this a correct way of doing an optimistic update
Imagine two different users executing this code at the same time. I can not use the CRecordset Update Delete methods for this. // Check to see if version number has been incremented since this view read in // the client data CClientRecordSet rs(mConn); rs.m_strFilter = "ID = "; rs.m_strFilter += client->GetKey(); rs.m_strFilter +=" AND "; rs.m_strFilter += "Version = "; rs.m_strFilter += client->GetVersion(); // Assuming here, this is acting as a lock on tables referenced mConn->BeginTrans(); rs.Open(CRecordset::snapshot, NULL, CRecordset::re...

Enter multiple cash receipt payment methods in Cashbook/BM.
When entering a receipt into cashbook/bank management, there is sometimes a need to receipt the amount as more than one payment type - e.g. cash and cheque. This process is accommodated well in SOP. It would be useful to have this type of procedure included in Bank Management. This is a user request from Pan Pac Forest Products. ...

Hide columns if there are no entry's in column
Hi everyone, I have a workbook with multiple sheets. One sheet is a overview from all the sheets and had all dates in it. Is there a VBA to hide columns when there are no entry's in it? The code has to work when I open the sheet "overview" Hope someone can help me with it! Thanks in advanced! Regards Berry Berry, If you have a row that when blank would indicate which columns to hide, you could use On Error Resume Next Rows("1:1").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireColumn.Hidden = True HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP <blommerse@saz.nl> wrote in message news:118...