Is it possible to record a number with a leading zero in Excel?

I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading zero
eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero. Is
there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind of
important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!
0
hb (32)

Jonathan,

Format the cells as Text.

HTH,
Nikos

"Jonathan HB" <Jonathan HB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading
zero
> eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero.
Is
> there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind
of
> important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!

Take a look at this and see if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q8151

--
ehnt
ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1586

Many thanks - problem solved! Jonathan

"ehntd" wrote:

> Take a look at this and see if it helps:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q81518
>

> --
> ehntd
> ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15865
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276190

Thanks Nicos - however that solution didn't work. I got the answer in the end
from another post at this address for your future interest
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q81518

Jonathan
"Nikos Yannacopoulos" wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Format the cells as Text.
>
> HTH,
> Nikos
>
> "Jonathan HB" <Jonathan HB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading
> zero
> > eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero.
> Is
> > there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind
> of
> > important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!

Help with Excel
I have windows xp on my new computer and it don't support excel, i have file on my old computer with excel how can i get excel to work with my xp version You will need to put Excel on your new machine - it is NOT part of Windows. If you have the Excel or MS Office disk from the old machine you can use that to install the applications on the new PC. Of course, once you have it running you must uninstall the apps for the old PC. You can install Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002 or Excel 2003 on the new PC. If you do not have the disks then you are in for a shopping spree. Best wishes Berna...

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

how do I add numbers in list of columns
entered numbers in columns of excel and want to total them going horizontal and vertical to get grand total for each column. Can you explain how to do this? For e.g. You enter 1-10 in A1-A10 You enter 11-20 in B1-B10 So, in A11, you type SUM(A1:A10) to get Column Grand total and copy it to B11 to get Grand column total for B And, you type SUM(A1:B1) in C1, to get Row Grand Total and copy it to C2 to C10 to get all Row Grand total Hope this helps. "Amadauss" wrote: > entered numbers in columns of excel and want to total them going horizontal > and vertical to get gr...

Excel and Windows Live Mail
Hi all I update my Mail add-in and VBA code examples to avoid the error if you use Windows Live Mail as your default mail program. More information in the blog post : http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2010/04/25/windows-live-mail-wlm-and-excel-problem-part-two/ If you have problems let me know so I can update the code/add-in if needed Thanks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

ODBC server changed
Hi I have some Excel 97 files that used to pull in data from a Unix box using an ODBC driver (U/SQL from Transoft). We have upgraded to a new server which has a different IP address and now the embedded queries have stopped working. Is there any way to change the data source in the Excel 97 file? I noticed by opening the file with a text editor that the old IP address is buried in there but I can't change it as it corrupts the file. The query was created with Data > Get External Data > Create New Query. It has not been saved as a separate MS Query file. If I do manage to edi...

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

Recording Section 529 Plan
I'm establishing a section 529 plan for my granddaughter. Any suggestions of how to record in Money 2003? I record mine as tax-deferred/tax-free investment accounts (specified either during setup or in the account details). Derrick <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:620401c3e60f$78b5bca0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm establishing a section 529 plan for my > granddaughter. Any suggestions of how to record in Money > 2003? ...

find record using combo box
I want to use combo box to locate a name. After update, the combo box shows the name but the form does not move to the record of combobox. Here is my code: Private Sub cboLook_AfterUpdate() Dim rs As DAO.Recordset 'Search in the clone set. Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone rs.FindFirst "[name]= """ & Me.cboLook & """" 'Display the found record in the form. Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark frmFlexSubform.SetFocus Set rs = Nothing End Sub You have a field named Name? Access ...

Adding and subtracting hours in Excel 2000 worksheet
I'm having some success with the addition part but not with the subtracting part! I have an Excel spreadsheet that is used to keep track of time worked by staff on a weekly basis and I need to keep track of the overtime worked. For example, one staff member has worked 40 hours, 54 minutes and 25 seconds in a week (displayed in a cell as 40:54:25 with the cell formatted as Category: --> Time and Type:--> 37:30:55). I then went to subtract 40 hours from the total hours worked to get the overtime displayed and thats where I'm having the problem. I tried the format of "=F9 -...

Microsoft Excel #2
Why can't I close my Excel application by clicking the x button in the upper right hand corner of the application. This is Excel 2002. Is there a way to do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Seum Is the "x" button grayed out and unavailable? Are using using Groupwise? If that's the problem. See this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions. It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove the Groupwise add-i...

table of contents in excel
Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel (similar to Words TOC). Or alternatively how to insert the current page number into a cell so that it can be cross-referenced. Thanks Nick Hi Nick, See David McRitchies TOC page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman "nickH" <nickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28FEEDC1-6091-4FC4-BD5C-5CE2A6116A5E@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel > (similar > to Words TOC). Or alternatively ho...

excell formula needed
Hi, In Excell, I'm trying to match a cell (eg H21,with a num value (eg 2530) to a column of figures (M34:M99) that has one match in it and produce a grading A, B, C, D from a column (N34:N99). Anyone have any ideas? Rob. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =Vlookup(H21,$M$34:$N$99,2,false) Bernard "terrificRob" <terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > In Ex...

opening excel document with shell as read only
Hello, I am presently using access to open an excel file by using the shell command. Is it possible by some command e.g. \readonly to open the excel file as read only? Cheers If you're automating excel from another program, you may be able to just create an instance of excel and open your workbook readonly: This worked for me from MSWord: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myXL As Object On Error Resume Next Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") If Err.Number = 429 Then Set myXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") End If On Error GoTo 0 myXL.Visible =...

Scroll Bars Do Not Appear in Excel XP
One of our Office XP for Small Business users (running Win XP Pro SP 2) is no longer able to see the horizontal scroll bar in any of his Excel files -- files that used to display correctly a few days ago. He also can no longer see the three colored buttons in the top right of the screen (for Minimize, Zoom, Close). The scroll bars are set to display in the Prefs and we haven't changed any settings on our monitor -- any idea what we should do? Are the windows just not maximized? Try double clicking on the title bar at the top of the file and see if it snaps back into place. Lee &g...

Error reassigning leads following upgrade to version 4
Hi, We are experiencing an issue when trying to reassign a lead to another user. Whenever we do we get the following error : CrmException: More than one user queue was found for the given object.] at Microsoft.Crm.CrmException.Assert(Boolean condition, String message) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.QueueServiceInternal`1.GetUserQueueWithObject(BusinessEntityMoniker moniker, Guid userId, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.QueueItemService.RouteToUser(BusinessEntityMoniker objectMoniker, Guid userIdOfCurrentObjectOwner, Guid primaryUserIdOfQueueToRouteTo, Execut...

Macro Not Loading XLSART excel
I have created a macro and placed into the xlstart folder and the macro will load at first. At some point, the macro stops loading, yet the macro is still in the xlstart folder. Any thoughts? S Macros don't load from the XLSTART folder. Workbooks load from the XLSTART folder. The macro must be in workbook. Is your macro stored in a file named Personal.xls or in another workbook? Is the macro in a general module or Thisworkbook module or Worksheet module. Show us your macro code. More information please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:05:49 -0700, "S Crowel...

Sorting numbered system that relies on decimals
eg. This is the result I am looking for: TS-501.9.8 TS-501.9.9 TS-501.9.10 TS-501.9.11 TS-501.10.1 TS-501.10.2 TS-501.11.1 This is the result I am getting: TS-501.10.1 TS-501.10.2 TS-501.11.1 TS-501.9.10 TS-501.9.11 TS-501.9.8 TS-501.9.9 As you can see the numbers between the dots ascend from 1, however excel takes them as decimals (eg 0.1 = 0.10 = 0.100). Suggestions appreciated! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi It's possible to do using helping column, and a huge formula in it. But why not to convert your column into form TS-501.09.08 etc. Then you haven'...

Getting data from Access to Excel?
How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like weekly reports) Troy, Data|Get External Data|New Database Query Select MS Access Database The Wizard should take you through the remaining steps of selecting the data you want to import and the criteria (if any) that you wish to use. PC "Troy" <corptkm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nLDXa.3726$Jk5.3138269@feed2.centurytel.net... > How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like > weekly reports) > > You can also push-it-out of Access to Excel by (While...

still can't use Entourage, PowerPoint, Excel
I posted here several weeks ago and this problem couldn't be resolved then -- not entirely, anyway. I'm trying again because I haven't been able to find anything more anywhere else, and there WAS one thing I did right that I would like to duplicate -- plus, I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint when this problem started. When it started, I'm fairly certain, was when I downloaded the last Software Update of Office for Mac. This had to have been right around April 18, because I remember having downloaded the update late at night while I was working on something else, then rather th...

format numbers #2
I have a list of audio books in an excel 2003 spreadsheet. One column should show the duration of the book in this format: 8 hrs 23 mins. But what shows in the column is a 5 digit number, such as 54463 as an example. I cannot figure out how to format this column to translate this number into the hrs and mins of the actual book. Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks for your help Joanne Joanne Where does this number come from? It does not seem to relate to 8 hours 23 minutes at all (eg it isn't the total minutes for example or seconds). What is the source of this informa...

replacement for favorites command in Excel 2007
In excel 2003 there was available web toolbar with favorites command. That allowed quickly to find files. For some reason web toolbar is not available in excel 2007. Is there any alternative for the favorites command or is this possibility of saving files locations just disappeared? Hi Kv, > In excel 2003 there was available web toolbar with favorites command. That > allowed quickly to find files. For some reason web toolbar is not available > in excel 2007. Is there any alternative for the favorites command or is this > possibility of saving files locations just d...

Arabic/Farsi in Office 2004 (Word and Excel)
How do you setup Word 2004 and Excel 2004 to type right to left in arabic or farsi. I have enabled Farsi and arabic in the international pane of the System Preferences and I am able to type perfectly ok in TextEdit. However when I type Arabic or Farsi in Word 2004 the characters appear but they do not connect to one another as they do in TextEdit. Any ideas on how to fix this?? You can not type right to left in Office:Mac yet. This is certainly something to expect from the next version of Office:Mac... With Office:2004 dating from mid 2004, I can expect that the next Office might come out ...

How to open Excel docs default with Excel 2007?
I had Office 2003 installed, then installed Office 2007 as well. The system was automatically configured then to open all Excel files (2003 or 2007) in Excel 2007. However, here at work they just did some Office 2003 update, and now XLS files are opening with Office 2003. If I go into Windows explorer and to file types and find XLS, when I browse to the office 12 directory and select EXCEL.EXE as the file used to open, it simply selects the "Microsoft Excel" that's already in the "Recommended Programs" section (at the top) of the "Which program to open the file wi...

marketing lists or leads?
Hello: I work in an industry which allows us to know all of our potential customer base. We have about 7,000 potential target customers and we have a purchased list of all that information. Should I take all those customers and place them in different marketing lists or should we important them all as Leads into CRM 3.0? Since this is a list that contains all potential customers in our industry, some are already our customers. bring them into a list. you can then market to them and then convert the reponses to an opportunity record. However if you do not want to bulk mail or marke...