Interesting TIF file problem

At the company I work for, we have someone that exports AutoCAD drawings to a
TIF file, then inserts the TIF file into an Excel spreadsheet. We have quite
a few of these.

Other users can open this spreadsheet, view it, do a print preview, but when
they try to print the file the inserted picture does not show up. All that
prints is a box with the broken url red x document image.

It seems that the problem is with Office XP. The Excel files are created
with Office 2000, and they print fine from Excel 2000. On Office XP and
Office 2003, the file won't print properly (all systems are running Windows
XP SP2).

Thinking the problem was with going from Office 2000 to Office XP, I took
one of the TIF files and inserted it in an Excel file under Office 2003. Same
result, the file does not print properly from the system where I made it.

The printers are HP LaserJet network printers, and I tried printing to
different printers, with the same results.

Has anyone else come across this?
0
TBird1 (4)

Try Tools -> Options -> View -> Objects -> Show All.

I've not seen this problem, so this is a guess on my part.

"TBird" wrote:

> At the company I work for, we have someone that exports AutoCAD drawings to a
> TIF file, then inserts the TIF file into an Excel spreadsheet. We have quite
> a few of these.
>
> Other users can open this spreadsheet, view it, do a print preview, but when
> they try to print the file the inserted picture does not show up. All that
> prints is a box with the broken url red x document image.
>
> It seems that the problem is with Office XP. The Excel files are created
> with Office 2000, and they print fine from Excel 2000. On Office XP and
> Office 2003, the file won't print properly (all systems are running Windows
> XP SP2).
>
> Thinking the problem was with going from Office 2000 to Office XP, I took
> one of the TIF files and inserted it in an Excel file under Office 2003. Same
> result, the file does not print properly from the system where I made it.
>
> The printers are HP LaserJet network printers, and I tried printing to
> different printers, with the same results.
>
> Has anyone else come across this?
0
BarbR (262)
7/5/2005 6:51:02 PM
Hey, thanks.
This option was already selected. I forgot to add that when right-clicking
on the image in the Excel workbook, going to Format Picture -> properties,
the option "Print Object" is check marked as well.

"Barb R." wrote:

> Try Tools -> Options -> View -> Objects -> Show All.
>
> I've not seen this problem, so this is a guess on my part.
>
> "TBird" wrote:
>
> > At the company I work for, we have someone that exports AutoCAD drawings to a
> > TIF file, then inserts the TIF file into an Excel spreadsheet. We have quite
> > a few of these.
> >
> > Other users can open this spreadsheet, view it, do a print preview, but when
> > they try to print the file the inserted picture does not show up. All that
> > prints is a box with the broken url red x document image.
> >
> > It seems that the problem is with Office XP. The Excel files are created
> > with Office 2000, and they print fine from Excel 2000. On Office XP and
> > Office 2003, the file won't print properly (all systems are running Windows
> > XP SP2).
> >
> > Thinking the problem was with going from Office 2000 to Office XP, I took
> > one of the TIF files and inserted it in an Excel file under Office 2003. Same
> > result, the file does not print properly from the system where I made it.
> >
> > The printers are HP LaserJet network printers, and I tried printing to
> > different printers, with the same results.
> >
> > Has anyone else come across this?
0
TBird1 (4)
7/5/2005 7:01:03 PM
If you add a much smaller TIF file (as a test) to a brand new worksheet in a
brand new workbook, does it print ok?

My guess is that it's a printer/windows problem.  (I don't have a reason why
xl2k worked and xl2002+ didn't, though.  Maybe a different rendering algorithm
between versions???)

As a standard response, I would visit the printer's web site and get a
fresher/newer version of the printer driver.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I did get a smaller TIF file, and that printed fine. The print drivers are
the newest ones, I did check that but forgot to mention above.

I'm going to try to shrink down a CAD generated TIF, to see if it's just a
size issue, or still something more.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If you add a much smaller TIF file (as a test) to a brand new worksheet in a
> brand new workbook, does it print ok?
>
> My guess is that it's a printer/windows problem.  (I don't have a reason why
> xl2k worked and xl2002+ didn't, though.  Maybe a different rendering algorithm
> between versions???)
>
> As a standard response, I would visit the printer's web site and get a
> fresher/newer version of the printer driver.
>
> TBird wrote:
> >
> > At the company I work for, we have someone that exports AutoCAD drawings to a
> > TIF file, then inserts the TIF file into an Excel spreadsheet. We have quite
> > a few of these.
> >
> > Other users can open this spreadsheet, view it, do a print preview, but when
> > they try to print the file the inserted picture does not show up. All that
> > prints is a box with the broken url red x document image.
> >
> > It seems that the problem is with Office XP. The Excel files are created
> > with Office 2000, and they print fine from Excel 2000. On Office XP and
> > Office 2003, the file won't print properly (all systems are running Windows
> > XP SP2).
> >
> > Thinking the problem was with going from Office 2000 to Office XP, I took
> > one of the TIF files and inserted it in an Excel file under Office 2003. Same
> > result, the file does not print properly from the system where I made it.
> >
> > The printers are HP LaserJet network printers, and I tried printing to
> > different printers, with the same results.
> >
> > Has anyone else come across this?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
TBird1 (4)
7/5/2005 8:26:02 PM
Can you convert the .tif to .jpg and see if that helps?

(I have no idea!)

I use Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) to do this kind of conversion (and
it's very nice for just viewing, too.)

--