Interactive Chart Data?

Is it possible to select a group of data on a graph/cross-plot and then
"zoom" to or "highlight" that data in the spreadsheet?  I hope it's possible
and I am just not smart enough to figure it out.  Thanks for your time.
Justin
0
Justin7863 (92)

Hi Justin-

I believe what you are asking would be somewhat complicated to do and
require writing code.

You might try one of these options instead:

1- If your chart is on a separate Chart Sheet, rt-click the white space
(Chart Area) and choose Chart Options. On the Data Table tab put a check in
the box for Show Data Table to have a copy of the data displayed on the same
sheet, or

2- Insert you chart on the same sheet as your data & when you click a bar or
column in the chart there will be a 'bounding box' created around the values
represented by that series of data.

HTH |:>)

"Justin" wrote:

> Is it possible to select a group of data on a graph/cross-plot and then
> "zoom" to or "highlight" that data in the spreadsheet?  I hope it's possible
> and I am just not smart enough to figure it out.  Thanks for your time.
> Justin
0
CyberTaz (411)

truncate the yaxis if one data point is MUCH higher than the rest
How do I truncate the y-axis of a bar graph if in the event that one data point is VERY high, and the others are very small? I would like to see the top of all the bars in my graph, but not the entire bar for the large data point. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ steve wrote: > How do I truncate the y-axis of a bar graph if in the event that one data > point is VERY high, and the others are very small? I would like to see t...

lines in line chart do not show up
I used this chart the last 2 years and it worked fine. This year, I made a new chart based off the old chart and now the lines don't show up. The markers are there, but the lines are not. Anyone else have this problem?> -- martinson portland Are there blanks in your data range? Select the chart, go to Tools menu > Options > Chart tab, and check Interpolated for how you want blank cells to be treated. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "martinson" <m...

Finding the end of Data
I have a data set that has a sorted column filled with either numbers or "#N/A" (which are all found above the numbers) I want to select the rows that have "#N/A" in them. How to I find the last row, please? Jim Berglund Maybe it's not important to find the last row. If you don't have any other errors in that column and these errors are constants (not formulas), you could do the equivalent of: Selecting the column Then hit F5 (edit|goto)|special|constants|and select only errors In code, it would look like: Option Explicit Sub testme() ...

Active chart refreshes slower in 2007
I create active charts with a spin button (Form control) to flip through many sets of y data (by incrementing the y-series row-references using an index controlled by the button). When I used Excel 2000, I used to place the button inside of the chart. (That is where you can only drag it as far as the edge of the chart area, much like placing a text box inside of a chart). By placing it inside, data series refreshed much faster than if it were outside (in the worksheet area itself). In the former case, I was able to flip through all series by holding down the mouse the spin button ar...

merge pivot charts?
I have 3 seperate charts created from 3 pivot tables. each table has a filter office#. user has to go to each table to select office# to get the charts update. Is there any way to merge 3 tables together, that way user can select only one time and get the different info for each table? pivot_table_1 office# answers pivot_table_2 office# answers pivot_table_3 office# answers You can use programming to change the selections in the related pivot tables. There's a sample file here: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under PivotTables, look for 'PT0021 - Chang...

Limiting Chart Series with a Macro
Good Day, Does anyone know how to change the max limit on the x-axis of a chart with a macro? In other words say I have data of rainfall vs time for different countries. Some may have for 10 yrs and other may have for 50. How can I use a macro so that the x-axiswould end on the last date for all graphs? Any Ideas Many Thanks Llednar Randell - This macro finds the largest X max on all of the charts on the active sheet, then applies this to all of these charts. Sub SameXMax() Dim ChtOb As ChartObject Dim dXMax As Double For Each ChtOb In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects ' Find large...

Sorting Grouped Data?
Hi, I have a sales spreadsheet that is grouped by vendor with customer sales info under each vendor. Is there a way to sort the vendor groups keeping the customer data in each groups as is? TIA, Dan This may work Dan. To sort in Excel all the lines need to have same columns to sort on. So a heading line and a space between Vendor Groups would be be a problem You could add 2 columns (In the Example below columns A and B) with sort data criteria so that the Heading and Space positions could be preserved. Column A defines the Vendor Group Column B defines the sort priority Then Sort b...

Chart Wizard sorta broken.
Excel 2002(XP)sp3 running on XP Pro. Chart wizard appears to work until rendering the chart on the sheet. The resulting chart is drawn incorrectly. Line and Bar render only a thin vertical line without any data. Preview mode during the chart works ok. Pie charts render as a tiny dot vs a large circle. I have tried uninstalling Excel and re-installing. Insert Graph OLE object works fine. Can't re-install sp3 as it's already been installed. Would it help to completely remove Office as when I re-installed Excel all settigns were still in place, like tool bars and customizatio...

Data from 3 different sheets in the same workbook
We have to produce a pie chart on a new sheet which will show the percentage total of 3 different data that are in 3 different sheets but the cell's still the same (B14 in sheet1, B14 in sheet2, B14 in sheet3). I hold the CTRL button but it doesn't work. Is there a way to create this piechart without linking the 3 data in a fourth sheet? We tried in a lot of different ways but they give us errors (one of them is "reference is not valid") Thanks are there any limitations as to why you could not link to 4th sheet? "Marta" wrote: > We have to produce a pie ch...

Getting data from a closed wbook (adaptation of rondebruin's)
Hello, I tried to post this question a few days ago but did not get any answer. I am still stuck. So i try again Getting data from a closed wbook: it works very well with the CODE 1 below inspired from http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy7.htm However, I need to extract data from a cell which address varies per sheet and has not been named. So I would have expected to use an offset function from a named cell (see CODE 2 (below)but it does not work. It returns a #VALUE! any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks a million Caroline CODE 1: For i = 1 To N Dim Name As String Name =...

Exchange Cached Mode: Why Size Difference Between Local & Server Data?
If I compare the size of my mailbox between the local & server data (using the mailbox cleanup tool) there is about a 50 MB difference. I've noticed that on other users mailboxes. Is there a reason for this? Should I be concerned? You need to determine which folders are affected (look in the ost properties for folder sizes) - depending on the folders involved it may be a problem or not. The sync errors folder does not copy down in cached mode but all other folders should. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Ta...

How can I get data validation
I want to set up one cell (F41) to contain data validation that verifies that the entered contents are greater than the contents of another cell (F28). Since F41 needs to be greater than F28, I also want to make sure that F41 can't have input if F28 is blank. The first part of my validation formula works fine by itself but the second part doesn't work. Can I combine these two validation checks in one formula as follows? If not, how should it be set up if it can be done at all? =OR(F41>F28,CELL("type",F28)<>"b") Hi =AND((F41>F28);F28<>&...

Cell value as chart scale maximum
I have a chart on a worksheet and want to make the Y scale maximum value equal the value of cell Y3 (this is a merged cell range Y3:Y5), rounded up to the next “5” increment. For example, 101% in merged cell Y5 would be 105% in the chart Y scale maximum. How would I do this? Hi Phil - Use the approach I describe here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html but link to CEIL(Y3,0.05) instead of Y3. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > ...

Org Charts in Excel 2000
Are organizational charts an option for Excel 2000? If not standard, does Microsoft offer an add-in? You can use MS Organizational Chart right in Excel. Insert menu | Object | Create New tab, and browse in the list for MS Org Chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ FirstVette52 wrote: > I usually make them in another application, then copy/paste them onto > the spreadsheet. PowerPoint uses "MS Organizational Chart", it's > easy to use and EXCEL - friendly. ...

Data dissapears when reformatting a chart
When I create an Excel chart and reformat the X-Y axis data, the original line dissapears and I cannot get it back even by selecting the data field again. (Large data field) The chart is in the same file as the data to be accessed, so that is not the problem. Help! You have not defined your problem in detail. Will you please explain in detail. I think you i can help you. Suggestion: Select the axis which you want to format, then go to format data series, select patterns tab, give the desired color. I think this may help. If not please feel free to contact. Zak "Nateman" w...

Charts and Line Graphs comparing companies with different data
I am trying to create a chart that is a line graph in Excel 2000. I want to compare severao builders price and square feet with each company being a different color. Here is an example Company A has homes that are 2152 square feet at $162000, 2424 square feet at $169000, and 2691 square feet at $178000. Company B has homes that are 2095 square feet at $159000, 2292 square feet at $164000, and 2436 square feet at $173000. There will probably be Companys c thru H as well with different data. Can you help? I have searched the web and all this is greek to me - I need it to be in the...

How to set up pivot to show name of series item in bar chart
I have data on 30 issues. Each issue has multiple characteristics, e.g., magnitude, frequency, cost-to-fix, root cause, etc. I want the issues stacked in a bar chart to depict: 1) Issues by magnitude -with an ID for each issue ( I can get the hover to show the ID/name and other data. I want only the ID/name and want it fixed in the chart, not on hover only. I tried TM's hover macro, and though I had trouble installing it, it doesn't seeem to give me what I want. ) 2) Issues by magnitue by frequency - same story, I want to see the issue no. in the printed bar chart. Any advice wou...

how do i import multiple data sets at one time?
I'm importing a bunch of data and I'm using the import external data command in the data menu. I click on my file and choose delimited and then add a space in the next screen. It turns out to be two columns of data. I do this 10 times and was wondering if there is a way to import all the data at one time to simply save time. If anyone out there has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance. Assuuming that the files are all of the same two-column format, in a DOS Command Prompt window: Copy File1.txt + File2.txt + File3.txt + File4.txt + File5.txt File2Import.tx...

Getting message can't save all data in excel xls file
When I hit the save button on my excel database file, I get a message that says "couldn't save all the data & formatting you recently added". I hit ok, exit the program and immediately re-open. It seems that my changes are saved and I can hit the save key then and I do not receive the message at that time. This has not always happened, it is a recent problem and it is annoying to keep having to close and reopen every time I make a change. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.micros...

increase font size on vertical of chart without losing data
I am using Access to create a bar chart. The chart has over 50 namesin the vertical axis. How do I increase the font size so that I do notlose names? If I increase it past 6 font size I get only every otherbar labeled....

item engineering data
In what table does Revision Level from the Item Engineering Date window reside? We would like to add it to the PO print out so that the revision level of each item is included in the PO. Thanks, Wes Wes, The Item Engineering Data is stored in table "IV_Item_ENG" (Item Engineering File, IVR10015) with primary key "Item Number". The field you are looking for would be "Revision Level" (REVISIONLEVEL_I). This is not the revision level for the Bill Of Materials and these Revision Level fields are not synchronized. Thanks, RW -- This posting is provided &quo...

Avoid Printing the Combo Box with the Chart
I have a chart sheet with a combo box which I use to select the county I'm interesting in plotting. My question for the group - is there a way to keep the combo box from printing with the chart? Perhaps what I need to do is simply create the chart on a worksheet and print it from there. Just thought I would ask. Its not critical, but I thought it would look nicer if I could leave the combo box off. I wanted to use the chart sheet just to keep things "cleaner". Mike Hi, Right click the combo box and on the properties tab uncheck the Print Object. Cheers Andy mtonkovich...

chart #7
Hello, I'm trying to create a chart that will mimic the candlestick chart but it does not use a timeline. Instead of displaying the timeline along the X-axis, it will show the thickness of the sheet. Sample data available as follow : 1st data set: Thickness: 0.010 Min: 10 Max: 15 2nd data set: Thickness: 0.013 Min: 10 Max: 25 3rd data set: Thickness: 0.025 Min: 15 Max: 35 The chart will display the "Thickness" along the X-axis and the "Soak Range" (Min and Max) along the Y-axis. Microsoft Excel require several variable to create a stock chart, namely: Open, Hi...

How to reset HQ data files
I have an RMS system with HQ and two stores. They have been used extensively in testin, training, etc. We need to purge all this test data prior to go-live of the system. This would include transaction data, journal, historical financial data, orders, purchase orders, etc. Of course we wish to retain setup data like item records, HQ users, departments and categories, etc. I can find no reference to this information anywhere. Can you direct me to the appropriate source? Thanks in advance. ...

Match data uneven columns
Hi, I have values in A and I would like to compare that with a list of values in B. All of the values in B will be in A but the values in A may not be in B. What I would like to have happen is for the corresponding B value to line up on the same row as the A value. Does that make sense at all? Thanks Diddy In helper column C: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,B:B,0),A2,"") Copy down as needed, then either hide column B, or copy, paste special - values. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Diddy" wrote:...