inserting totals on a column chart

hi
i have this spreadsheet that tracks indicators for a project and i display the results in a column char

there are 3 columns, but within each column it is made up of 3 groups i.e. for the hours worked column it is made up of the U.S, Europe and Africa showing the number of hours for each continent

i'm wondering if it is possible  to insert the total above or below the column to show the total number of hours worked by all the contents, which is the data changes it is automatically updated like the rest of the char

please hel
joan
0
anonymous (74722)

Answered in the Charting newsgroup.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Joan wrote:

> hi i have this spreadsheet that tracks indicators for a project and i
> display the results in a column chart
>
> there are 3 columns, but within each column it is made up of 3 groups
> i.e. for the hours worked column it is made up of the U.S, Europe and
> Africa showing the number of hours for each continent.
>
> i'm wondering if it is possible  to insert the total above or below
> the column to show the total number of hours worked by all the
> contents, which is the data changes it is automatically updated like
> the rest of the chart
>
> please help joan

0
jonNO1 (306)

Chart icons grayed out
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Starting new Excel for Mac 2008 workpage with column of data; clicking on Gallery to start makeing chart. Toolbar comes up but can not select a chart type (they are grayed out). Why? Where to go from here? ...

Column Report (Right to Left)
Good Evening. I have a report that I have finally managed to arrange such that I can print landscape on the front page and Portrait on the back. I have one problem left.... The back page has a columnar subreport in the lower fifths of the page. The subreport functions fine except i need it to fill from right to left. The data is in the proper order but the report fills from left to right? How can I fix this? Thank You Tirelle ...

Plotting a fixed level line on a chart
I have created a bar graph that shows responses to a survey. The survey is anonymous so the graph does not reveal the ID of repondants against the individual bars on the graph. However, when I print the graph in a customized survey report, I want the graph to show each respondant how they performed against the rest of the group by changing the colour of their individual data point. I can manually do this by simply selecting and changing the colour of a specific data point. Is there a way to do this dynamically? Hi, You could adapted the conditional charting approach. Create a colu...

Newbie wants to create a chart in an Access Report
I have been using Access 2003 for a year or so, and now I would like to create a chart, but am clueless how to do this using the Wizard I have conducted a survey - the results of which are presented in a spreadsheet (EXCEL) I imported it into an Access data base table, but now would like to have a bar chart that shows how many men and women (2 bars) took the survey (This is a field in the table) I would have thought this was easy, but I can't seem to even get close Can you help ?? Many Thanks JM There is a complete demo of a survey at http://www.rogersacce...

How do I specify column for named range of rows
I have a sheet on which new lines of data get added almost daily, the first column being a time and date stamp. To keep things organized, I name ranges of rows, describing the time interval they contain. For example, the range $10:$500 could be named "June". Now I want to chart different time intervals in a chart only by changing the name in the SERIES function. For example, if I am plotting column B against time, I would want to specify like SERIES(,June A, June B). I know this syntax is not accpeted, but is there any way it can be done, specifying only the column and ro...

Pasting into columns...
Hi. I've used Excel 97 for years. One of the things I did frequently was copy info from my bank accounts and paste (special/unformatted text) into a workbook. The data always pasted neatly into my preformatted columns, e.g., a line reading "02/28/2007 Check 2100 $500.00 $1500.00" went into columns headed Date, Transaction, Amount, Balance. Now I've upgraded to Excel 2003 (in Windows Vista) and when I paste the same data it all goes into the first column, meaning I have to cut "Check 2100", "$500.00", and "$1500.00" and paste each indivi...

Eliminate duplicates(values) in an Excel column !!
Hi Guys G'day. I have a long list of email values in a column in excel spreadsheet(windows 2000). I want to findout the duplicates and want to eliminate those. ie. If I have jo@cs.co.au 5 times in an excel column , I just want to keep only one(keep uniqueness). Can anybody help me how I can find the duplicates and eliminate those in an Excel column. In the end I want a column which contains unique email addresses. Thank you. Jo Jo, have a look at data, filter, advanced filter and unique records only and see if this will do what you want -- Paul B Always backup your data before tryin...

Issues Printing Bubble Chart on Canon Printer
We just installed a new Canon printer and when we printed Excel Bubble Charts on the printer, they are rendered as squares, with inscribed circles. The bubbles are formatted to be shaded, so the squares are shaded. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it? We PDF'd the document and found that the printing problem has disappeared in the PDF'd version. Now we're missing a font on the computer that has the Adobe Acrobat application. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm still interested in understanding why there's a problem however. "...

Acc2002: Crosstabs: Column header length limit?
Dear all, crosstabs in Access 2002 seem to have a limit for the length of column headers: 20 characters. Queries with headers that differ only after the first 20 characters do not work. Any suggestions to get it work? Is there, e.g., any registry parameter that could be adjusted? Thanks for every hint, JotKa I think you would find the same thing to be true for field names in a table or controls on a form. AFAIK, there is no workaround. Make sure the first 20 characters are unique. -- HTH, George "JotKa" <JotKa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B12...

Added data in columns
I am new to Excel. I have a project I am working on in which I have a column with a value from 1 to 5. Each number (and in some columns letters) represents a different answer. Is there a way to add the total number of each value? For instance I have over 2000 rows with data. In column "N", an answer can be either 1,2,3,4 or 5. How would I figure out how many answers are "1", how many are "2" an so on. Likewise there is a column with a yes/no answer. How can I see the total number of Yes's and how many No's there are? I appreciate any help. Hi ...

Inserting MS Word Doc?
Can one insert a MS Word Form into an outlook email so that when the recipient opens the email, the form would be available without having to double-click to open the document? Hope fully this makes sense~ Thanks! -Art Outlook 2002 XP Pro ...

How many worksheets can be inserted in one workbook?
I have just started using MS-Excel. I was wondering what is the maximum number of worksheets that can be inserted in 1 MS-Excel Workbook? If I remember correctly, I've seen folks report that they're been able to insert upwards of 1000 sheets (as a test). For practical purposes you're limited by the amount of memory your system has. Search Excel help for "specifications and limits". It says: Sheets in a workbook - Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Publisher 2002 won't open or insert any pic files
Got new computer...running XP professional...reloaded my publisher 2002 and now it won't import any of my .eps, jpeg, files, etc. Dialog box comes up and asks what to convert the file from. It never did this before. Any ideas??? Have you installed the Publisher 2002 Service Releases. Sounds like you have not. go to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from ���MS�Publisher��� <donotknock@nobodyhome.com>... > go to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com Or even to http://office.microsoft.com -- Ed Bennet...

Importing CSV
Hi All, I have to import CSV files into excel. A regular issue with this is that often the CSV files will contain data (in this case account codes) that excel interprets as dates (such as '3-8000' being converted to 1 Mar 8000). Nothing unusual so far, in that we handle that issue by importing manually (External Data - Text import), and specifying that the field in question is imported as TEXT not GENERAL. However, I have a file that, when I double click on it, it opens up perfectly (except with dates where it should be text as outlined above), but if I manually import that f...

Is there any way to atttach a callout to a point in a chart series?
I use the drawing toolbar, and put a callout into a chart, with the point of the callout touching a pointon the chart. But, if the chart re-scales, then the callout no longer points to the same series point that it used to. Is there a way to anchor that callout to a particular point in a chart series, so that the chart can rescale and the callout still refers to the same point? Thank you. Tom ...

How do I see the pictures I am inserting?
I am working in Microsoft Publisher at the time but the info is the same for all of my applications. When I attempt to insert a picture I'm able to follow all of the step I usually follow. The information is all there. However, I was previously able to actually see the pictures I'm inserting. Now I can only see the name of the files. For example, if I go into a file name "My Photos", I used to be able to click on it and be able to see the individual photos in there. Now I just see the names of the photos. How do I switch it back?????? Hello- When you get into the ...

Polar chart... how
Hello How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object yet virtually impossible in MS Excel.. any ideas...examples ... help Thank you Ralph Andy Pope has an add in here. http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm "Ralph2" <nonefound@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:obtdm1lp2vk077fs0lgdcvgnsbi8u9gtts@4ax.com... > Hello > > How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object > yet virtually impossible in MS Excel.. > > any ideas...examples ... help > Thank you > Ralph > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:12:20 -0500...

Line chart colors

Refreshing a chart via VBA
Hi, I've tried for one entire day to refresh properly a chart via VBA but couldn't make it .... here's the problem : i have a big spreadsheet with several cpu-intensive ranges and i refresh them via vba with range(...).select , selection.calculate to save precious cpu-time but this way, a chart that is attached to this range is not updated so i tried to do this via vba but all the solutions i tried sucked in at least one major way a hint from a pro ? ...

Can chart previews be turned off
I use excell for charts up to 30 series with as much as 28,000 data points per series, I know what selections I want and do not need previews, is there a way to turn them off so I don't have to contantly wait for the previews to finish everytime I make any change. ...

Help with looping thru columns
I trying to automate a report that is ran in Cognos, and extracted to an excel file. I am almost complete, but am having trouble with totaling coulmuns. Basically, There are 7 columns which are to be totaled. My limitation is this: IF column 'D' is = "G" then loop thru Rows and Columns to process G Totals Then IF column 'D' is = "N" then loop thru Rows & Columns to Process N Totals Then Total the Totals for "G" and "N"; Example: A B C D E F G H I J Total 2915R NOYR 131000 G 0.00 (470.28) 0.00...

insert a table in excel
how do I put a table into excel that stays on screen even when you scroll up or down i.e what you are scrolling scrolls behind or along side the table Phil Investigate the use of Window>New Window then Arrange>Vertical to have two windows side by each. Your table in one of them and whatever else in the other. Only other thing I could think of would be a Modeless UserForm or similar. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:43:09 -0800, "Phil1723" <Phil1723@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do I put a table into excel that stays on screen even when you s...

How to make a chart with a big range of data?
Hi I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have many rows with data (about 250) and it's going to be more .. How do I make this chart only once, without having to extend the chart source every time I add more data? Thanks a lot. Kroko I have just asked a very similar question, I will monitor your answers also. bobf >-----Original Message----- >Hi >I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as >data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have >many rows with data...

Lookup column
Hello Everyone, I have a lookup column in my database with two parts. One part lists the supplier's name with the supplier's ID number directly accross in the other part. i enter data via a form. What I would like to do is select the supplier field on the form but have the supplier's ID number auto populate in another field on the form. Is this possible or am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks. If by "lookup column" you mean a combo box, and if both the supplier name and supplier ID appear in the combo box list, then you can use the column method to accomp...

Requirement in Bar chart
Hi, I have a new requirement in Bar chart. I have 3 columns, one for X axis and other 2 in Y axis( both primary). Now I need to join the middle top of the data points in columns. How can I do this? When I tried using combined bar and line chart, by repeating the columns, the line is joing the corner of the bars. How can I join the top middle of the bar? Thanks in advance. Rajeshkumar S -- rajeshkumar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rajeshkumar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24672 View this thread: ht...