inserting text

I have a sheet that lists the sales tax of different cities.  I want to be
able to inport the specific rate into a cell on another sheet so that it
states

Sales Tax (7.0%)

Is there any way that I can link the percentage to the other sheet so that I
don't have to change it when I change the city in an above cell.

Thanks for any help
0
Jon1205 (9)

Yes!  Check out the VLOOKUP() function in Help.

0
CycleZen (674)
7/27/2005 9:19:46 PM
Although it'd be more helpful if you were more specific, how about a
vlookup combined with a concatenation.  This will take a little setup.
For this suggestion you'll have to have the workbook with the tax rates
have the city in column A and the rate in B.  For this example, we'll
presume the cities and rates occupy cells A1:B50 on that sheet.

So, supposing that's done and the city is in column A and the tax in
column B on your main sheet:

In cell B2:

="Sales Tax ("&vlookup(A2,'[TheOtherBook]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$50,2,0)&"%)"

You can omit the % symbol if you already have it on the rates in the
other workbook.

--
carg1
carg1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15271

I tried that.  The equation that I used was:

="Sales Tax (vlookup(tax,indirect('&$C$1&'!A2:B17),2,False))"

It just prints everything in quotation marks.  If I just use the vlookup
function it will return the 7%, but I would like it to return "Sales Tax (7%)"

Is That possible?
Thanks

"Dave O" wrote:

> Yes!  Check out the VLOOKUP() function in Help.

0
Jon1205 (9)
7/27/2005 9:56:02 PM
Try this.........  ="Sales Tax
("&vlookup(tax,indirect('&$C$1&'!A2:B17),2,False)&")"

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jon1205" <Jon1205@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried that.  The equation that I used was:
>
> ="Sales Tax (vlookup(tax,indirect('&$C$1&'!A2:B17),2,False))"
>
> It just prints everything in quotation marks.  If I just use the vlookup
> function it will return the 7%, but I would like it to return "Sales Tax
(7%)"

> Is That possible?
> Thanks
>
> "Dave O" wrote:
>
> > Yes!  Check out the VLOOKUP() function in Help.

0
croberts (1377)
7/27/2005 10:14:11 PM
Thanks carg1.  That is exactly what I wanted.

"carg1" wrote:

> Although it'd be more helpful if you were more specific, how about a
> vlookup combined with a concatenation.  This will take a little setup.
> For this suggestion you'll have to have the workbook with the tax rates
> have the city in column A and the rate in B.  For this example, we'll
> presume the cities and rates occupy cells A1:B50 on that sheet.
>
> So, supposing that's done and the city is in column A and the tax in
> column B on your main sheet:
>
> In cell B2:
>
> ="Sales Tax ("&vlookup(A2,'[TheOtherBook]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$50,2,0)&"%)"
>
> You can omit the % symbol if you already have it on the rates in the
> other workbook.
>

> --
> carg1
> carg1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15271
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390748

0
Jon1205 (9)
7/27/2005 10:19:01 PM
No prob, glad to help :)

--
carg1
carg1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15271
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390748

reply format is plain text
When replying to or forwarding a message in outlook 2002, it keeps defaulting to "plain Text" eventhough the original message is not in plain text, but html. is there a way to change it to default to HTML >When replying to or forwarding a message in outlook 2002, >it keeps defaulting to "plain Text" eventhough the >original message is not in plain text, but html. is there >a way to change it to default to HTML Yes. "Tools">"Options...". Select the "Mail Format" tab and select "HTML" in the "Compose in this f...

Inserting cells then ranking
Hi, I am trying to create a ‘to-do job’ spreadsheet that will automatically insert new ‘tasks’ according to their priority. For example, on the sheet I currently have 10 tasks - entered manually. However, the more tasks I have, the longer I spend re-assigning rank order numbers. I would like the sheet to: • insert a new task e.g., Pick up TV. let’s say, into position number 5. This would result in “Sweep Drive” moving down to number 6 and all the other jobs would subsequently be moved down one cell. • Allow me to keep adding jobs if necessary. I think I may need an ‘Update ...

Need a macro to insert a row in the row above a button
I'm trying to create a macro that inserts a row above a row that would have a button (telling the user "click here to add a new row"). I want to create many of these buttons at different points in the worsheet. The problem with the approach I used is that the active cell doesn't change to the button location when the button is clicked. Any ideas would be appreciated. David David, Why bother having many buttons, why not just one that inserts a row above the active cell, whichever one that might be? -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

OUTLOOK 2007
In Outlook 2007, my problem is the Plain Text Direction appearing as RIGHT to LEFT. Email outgoing and incoming emails, read receipt and delivery report in Plain Text appearing as RIGHT to LEFT. I need to set defualt as LEFT TO RIGHT for all emails in Plain text. There is no problem in HTML and Rich Text direction as this is Left to Right. I have purchased notebook from Dubai, UAE, problem seems with Arbaic or Urdu languages which are interferring in Plain Text format. My window is Vista Home, Microsoft Office 2007, set template as left, language in Vista as English, Keyboard as US, Mi...

Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access ads text to the top of each message I send
Hi, I have a problem with Outlook Web Access (in Premium mode). Every time I send a new email or reply to an email, OWA writes a "?" to the top of the message. I know that it is not my Signature, because that works fine. The problem is that this happens on all the user accounts that logs into OWA using premium mode. I thought that it might have been profile related, but I then tried logging in with a new account, and the same thing still happens. Any ideas on what it might be? Regards Rynardt <Repost> On the client computer that is using IE, the cause is another applica...

Hide a text box
On sheet 3 of my workbook I have created a button (button 62) and a text box (textbox 63). What I want to do is use the button to toggle the text box on and off. By that I want to be able to show the box or hide the box. I have tried to copy code from the MS Visual Basic Help but it did not work, basically because I have no idea what I am doing. Can someone lease help? Orf Bartrop Under my Excel - 2000 I don't think you can hide a text box But I hope Im wrong it would be a good idea Steve On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 05:45:55 +0100, Orf Bartrop <orf@southcom.com.au> = wrote: > On...

How can I search/replace weird command in text imported from Summation database?
I am exporting data from Summation (legal database program) to a delimited text file, and then importing it into Excel to create a report. In fields where there is text separated by internal hard returns, the returns appear in Excel as little boxes. I can't figure out how to search/replace those commands with hard returns (or even a character like a semicolon) within those fields. Thanks in advance! Try turning on Cell wrap Ctrl+A, Format, cells, alignment, wrap- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritch...

Record-specific calculated text box
I have a text box in the detail section of a form, whose control source is a hidden combo-box that queries a table not included in the form's record source. It queries that table using the primary key from the form's record set which is linked to that table. Requerying cboHidden requeries ALL instances of cboHidden, and then the text box for ALL records updates to an identical value, I assume because cboHidden refers to every instance of it on the form, not just the one specific to that record. How do I change the behavior such that these behave locally to that record? Thanks,...

IF Function with multiple text entries
hi, i've had a go at creating an IF funtion that will display one of a number of phrases based on a particular value, however it comes up with some kind of name error, what i'm after is i want it to display one piece of text if the value is less than zero, another piece of text if the value is between zero and 0.05 and so on, with the last IF function being if the value is less than 1 and greater than 0.75 display text7 and greater than 1 display text 8, does somebody know how to fix it? below is what i've got, i've swapped the actual text out for ease of use ...

detecting text file
Hi is it simple way to detect that file is in plain text format or binary? Regards, SunFire SunFire wrote: > Hi > is it simple way to detect that file is in plain text format or binary? > > Regards, SunFire > > the most common algorithm is to hunt for unprintable characters (most notably 0) within the file. I know of no API offhand that can do this. -kz Just don't forget Unicode/UTF encodings, if you do consider this to be plain text. This text can easily includes 0 on every second position - which, in turn, can be used for recognition (in addition to EF...

text to numbers
Suppose i have numbers in a column with datatype as text. But when i change it to number it does not change until i press F2 in that cell. Any help Copy ANY blank cell. Select your *bad* cells. Hit Edit-Paste special, Add. ________________________ **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat www.VBAExpress.com/forum ************************ "student" <agarwalp@eeism.com> wrote in message news:usRlvPVcEHA.2504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Suppose i have numbers in a column with datatype as text. But when i change > it to number it does not change until i press F2 in that cell...

How do I get vertical text scrolling in a dialog edit box to work
I have an Edit Box in my dialog that I write text into. When the text is larger than the Edit Box I want it to scroll. I added "vertical scrolling" to the properties, and "want return" and the bar appears and resizes when I output text to the window but it is totally non-functional (I cannot move it). Also when the text goes past the Edit Box size it does not scroll down. How can I get scrolling to work ?? I am using a very basic WinCE project with coredll.lib and not including afxwin.h. I use GetDlgItemTxt() to copy the exisiting text from the Edit Box, add new text to ...

how can we copy cells comments text and paste to cells
How can I copy comments text and paste into cells (for a full column of thousands of rows, with hundreds of comments) -- Shai email: barnaor@barnaor.com http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Edit/11076.html "?? ???" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B959EFE7-91BA-499E-9C2D-0E89BE4BE73E@microsoft.com... > How can I copy comments text and paste into cells (for a full column of > thousands of rows, with hundreds of comments) > -- > Shai > email: barnaor@barnaor.com Saved from a previous post: You can retrieve the text from a comment with a user...

need help parsing text to get xml
I have a string that contains the \", \t, \r, \n. I need to get the xml. sample below: "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\r\n<USERS xmlns:xsd=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema\" xmlns:xsi=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance\" xmlns=\"http://www.slcorp.com\\xml\\slcorp_dtd_schema.xml\">\r\n\t<ACCT>GameTek</ACCT>\r\n\t<USER>\r\n\t\t<USER_ID>Mike</USER_ID></USER>\r\n\t</USERS>\r\n" I have tried replacing as follows so I can get the xml. I have tried 2 approaches (1) str = str.Replac...

inserted pictures don't show on screen
When I insert a picture on publisher 2003 it does not appear on the screen. I only see the dots that represent where it should be, and I can only resize and move them. No picture in print preview either. In Word 2003 I don't have any problems My computer is an HP zd 8080 Video Card is ATI Radeon X600 RV53 wrote: > When I insert a picture on publisher 2003 it does not appear on the > screen. I only see the dots that represent where it should be, and I > can only resize and move them. No picture in print preview either. > > In Word 2003 I don't have any problems > ...

TEXT BOX HELP
I have office XP on my computer. When using text boxes, my computer locks up. Is there a fix? I have deleted the program and reinstalled and still have the problem Hi Karen (ksutton@edmurdocksuperstores.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I have office XP on my computer. When using text boxes, || my computer locks up. Is there a fix? I have deleted the || program and reinstalled and still have the problem Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about video drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix the problems you are encounterin...

Pivot table
The item i want in my data field is text (words). I do not want a count or a sum of this data. Is there any way to see text data in a pivot table? It is possible to show text fields as first, second, third... item in Rows or Columns. I never had them in Data section. -- Topola Not in the data fields--they're numeric summaries. You can put them in the row/column or page field, though. pum75 wrote: > > The item i want in my data field is text (words). I do not want a count or a > sum of this data. Is there any way to see text data in a pivot table? -- Dave Peterson ...

Auto insertion of date and time
I'm trying to build a spreadsheet to log support calls, all i need is a way of inserting the time & date in a column as soon as data is entered in another column. I have done this using the Now() function but the date & time keep updating, I want them to remain the same as when the first appeared. I have a bit of VB knowledge so am happy to do it this way if required. Any ideas? TIA, MC Hi See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to build a spreadsheet to log support calls, all i need is a way >of inserting t...

Why does text disappear from organization chart boxes?
I am trying to type many positions into the organization chart boxes in Visio 2003. I want the boxes to contain several lines of text; however, when I click outside the boxes, all the text disappears except for the title. How do I get all the text to stay? ...

Creating a text box link
I am having a problem creating a text box link. I am using the blank publication, book fold option. I have a document in Word with graphics set up in 2 column format. I copied and pasted just portions of the Word doc into a text boxt in the pub along with a couple of graphics. I now have an overflow situation as I knew I would. The overflow symbol is showing at the bottom. I selected the text box and the handle displayed but the "Create text box link" icon is grayed out. What am I doing wrong? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks -- David Frazier You have to create ...

when copy powerpnt file on other computer, text boxes won't shift right
Hello, I'd like you guys to help me , the problem is . . when i copied my powerpoint file to other computers, most of the text boxes were not in the position that it used to be. did anyone have that problem? how to fix it? thanks a lot! ...

Assign value to bound text box
On a command button event; am opening a hidden form bound to a table (and with Data Entry property Yes) - and writing a value to a text box via Forms!HiddenForm.TextboxName = me.AnotherTextBox in 07 this is triggering the run time error "You can't assign a value to this object". in 03 it works. 07 has trust center set up to this folder. Would welcome advice. There could be a number of things wrong. Most likely it's a permissions issue. We will need more information to help. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access h...

Library Slot Disappears after inserting Cleaning Tape
I have DPM 2010 RC + Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 installed The tape library is a Dell TL2000 After inserting the cleaning tape into the library, the slot in the library in which it was inserted into disappears from the DPM console. When I try to clean the drive through the DPM console it fails. Any suggestions would be great! TL2000 and TL4000 will self clean when needed using the dedicated cleaning slot if enabled. "techraider04" wrote: > I have DPM 2010 RC + Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 installed > > The tape library is a Dell TL2000 > > Af...

function to randomly insert text from a given list

Re: Get gray screen when try to insert clipart in Office 2008
When I try to insert clip art using Office 2008, I get a gray screen for the Clip Gallery. Does anyone know why and what I can do about this? I need access to the clip art. Thank you! Deb Can't tell too awfully much without knowing specifics of OS X & Office versions as well as in which program(s) this occurs, but in general... Make sure OS X & Office are update to the current levels, run disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions & restart your Mac. If that doesn't resolve it post back with complete descriptive details. Also, what happens if you use the ClipArt mode of ...