Inserting extra info into a cell

I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used as
a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the
following:

**

Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my
English words. So, it looks something like this:-

**            Hola            Hello

Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it
requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second
column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in essence,
it will be

**            <Spanish>Hola            <English>Hello

I have over 3000 rows in some of my glossaries and it will take forever to
paste the words in front of the existing words.

Any ideas how I can do this quicker? So basically, I need to paste the word
<Spanish> in front of every word in the second column and the word <English>
in front of every word in the third.

Thanks in advance

0
scrivomc (52)

Hi!

You could try something like: ="<Spanish>"&B1
copy -> paste special -> values

Neil Greenough skrev:

> I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used as
> a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the
> following:
>
> **
>
> Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my
> English words. So, it looks something like this:-
>
> **            Hola            Hello
>
> Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it
> requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second
> column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in essence,
> it will be
>
> **            <Spanish>Hola            <English>Hello
>
> I have over 3000 rows in some of my glossaries and it will take forever to
> paste the words in front of the existing words.
>
> Any ideas how I can do this quicker? So basically, I need to paste the word
> <Spanish> in front of every word in the second column and the word <English>
> in front of every word in the third.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
NilsIvar (1)
8/5/2005 9:37:20 AM
Use col 4 and 5 to create
"Neil Greenough" <scrivomc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used
>as a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the
>following:
>
> **
>
> Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my
> English words. So, it looks something like this:-
>
> **            Hola            Hello
>
> Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it
> requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second
> column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in
> essence, it will be
>
> **            <Spanish>Hola            <English>Hello
>
> I have over 3000 rows in some of my glossaries and it will take forever to
> paste the words in front of the existing words.
>
> Any ideas how I can do this quicker? So basically, I need to paste the
> word <Spanish> in front of every word in the second column and the word
> <English> in front of every word in the third.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
jmay (696)
8/5/2005 11:16:35 AM
temporarily Use Col 4 (and 5 in the same way) to
in cell d2 enter formula   = "<Spainish>" & B2
and copy down.  Do the same for the english..
If it looks good afterwards Copy and Paste-Special
Values to "deformularize col 4 and 5;
Then Delete Col 2 and 3.
that's One way...

"Neil Greenough" <scrivomc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used
>as a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the
>following:
>
> **
>
> Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my
> English words. So, it looks something like this:-
>
> **            Hola            Hello
>
> Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it
> requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second
> column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in
> essence, it will be
>
> **            <Spanish>Hola            <English>Hello
>
> I have over 3000 rows in some of my glossaries and it will take forever to
> paste the words in front of the existing words.
>
> Any ideas how I can do this quicker? So basically, I need to paste the
> word <Spanish> in front of every word in the second column and the word
> <English> in front of every word in the third.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
jmay (696)
8/5/2005 11:21:47 AM
Thanks for the replies all!

"Jim May" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message
> temporarily Use Col 4 (and 5 in the same way) to
> in cell d2 enter formula   = "<Spainish>" & B2
> and copy down.  Do the same for the english..
> If it looks good afterwards Copy and Paste-Special
> Values to "deformularize col 4 and 5;
> Then Delete Col 2 and 3.
> that's One way...
>
> "Neil Greenough" <scrivomc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used
>>as a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the
>>following:
>>
>> **
>>
>> Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my
>> English words. So, it looks something like this:-
>>
>> **            Hola            Hello
>>
>> Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it
>> requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second
>> column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in
>> essence, it will be
>>
>> **            <Spanish>Hola            <English>Hello
>>
>> I have over 3000 rows in some of my glossaries and it will take forever
>> to paste the words in front of the existing words.
>>
>> Any ideas how I can do this quicker? So basically, I need to paste the
>> word <Spanish> in front of every word in the second column and the word
>> <English> in front of every word in the third.
>>
>> Thanks in advance

0
scrivomc (52)

how do i count text cells in excel based on variable criteria?
I need a formula that will recalculate when the variables are changed. For example, I will input the variables for date "1/26/2010" and BU "09" and I want a count of how many assets that meet those criterion. For Acctg Date: 1/26/2010 BU: 09 Asset Count:_____ BU Acctg Date 08 1/25/2010 06 1/26/2010 06 1/25/2010 09 1/25/2010 09 1/26/2010 09 1/26/2010 Assuming in your example the date is in B1, the BU is in B2 and your data is in A5 to B10, enter this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A5:A10=B2)*(B5:B10=B1)) "anmaka57" wrote: > I need a for...

Email header info
I'm starting to get spam from my own domain. That is, someone is spoofing the From to have the same domain as the To. In some messages, the From and To are identical; I'm receiving spam from myself. Is there any way in Outlook 2003 to identify these spoofed From addresses and automatically dump them into the Junk directory? By the way, I occasionally send messages to myself--particularly when I'm traveling. So I can't merely assume that messages that I send to myself are spam. Thanks. Charley No. There's no effective way to tell the difference - but maybe you should...

"30" in a cell becomes "50"
When I type in 30 or use 30 in an equation, Excel automatically reads it as 50 and displays it as 50. The keyboard has been changed a couple of times. This also happens in Word. Office has been removed and re-installed to no avail. Any idea as to why or how to fix it? Hi have you checked 'Tools - autocorrection'? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Melanie wrote: > When I type in 30 or use 30 in an equation, Excel automatically reads > it as 50 and displays it as 50. The keyboard has been changed a > couple of times. This also happens in Word. Office has bee...

Totaling rows & columns in the same cell
I need to ensure the total in specific rows add up to the total of column - so that the total for both, if equal, appear in the same cell For example I need the total in cell G19: to add certain rows such as =Sum(C19,E19,F19), if equal to the sum of =sum(G1:G18). If not equal I need to receive an error message. How do I do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could try =IF(SUM(C19,E19,F19)=SUM(G1:G18),"True","Error") You can replace the "True" with SUM(G1:G18) if you want the total t apper instead. =IF(SUM(C19,E19,F19)=SUM(G1:G18),SUM(...

Freezing Worksheet Cells
Is it possible to have different cell widths in the first two lines of a spreadsheet to the rest of the sheet? TIA, Ron. Hi no not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ronnie Davis" <local@host.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1w7ofyip4lgsd$.772zjc51d7bk$.dlg@40tude.net... > Is it possible to have different cell widths in the first two lines of a > spreadsheet to the rest of the sheet? > > TIA, > > Ron. On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:28:28 +0100, Frank Kabel wrote: > Hi > no not possible Thanks Frank. I didn't think so. I used Micr...

Business Card -- insert calendar in bac k
Is there a way to insert a year calendar on the back of a business card. I designed a business card but I want to insert a calendar image on the back, as an aide to clients. I've tried to insert the business calendar template by reducing it as a gif. Yet, it becomes illegible. Inserting a month would render the card useless by the next month. A six-month calendar would work. But, how can I resample it so it would fit in the business card? Thank you. How about just typing it out on business card template. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Roxy" <Roxy@discussions.microsoft.com&...

converting line-delimited text into cells
I have a text file with approximately 1000 lines of data, each line is 100 chars or less. The first 15 lines are column headers (some columns are unused), then every 12 subsequent lines is one record. What is the easiest way to get each record to appear in Excel (2007) on a single line, one field per column? Thank you If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line 3. You send a clear explanation of what you want ...

Drop-down calendar in a cell
Can a cell be setup with a drop-down calendar (month?) and the use can click a date to be inserted into the cell's value? See: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:eyKvUe$wDHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Can a cell be setup with a drop-down calendar (month?) and the use can click > a date to be inserted into the cell's value? > > ...

Creating a goto/anchor in excel based on a cell value
Hello, I am creating a financial worksheet for a client in which the user can choose options from a drop down menu. What I want to happen is, based on the option the user chooses, the model sends them to a certain cell on the same sheet. Ex: If user chooses 1 from the drop down, it sends them to cell A4. If the user chooses 2 from the drop down, it sends them to cell A5. Also, I would like to know how to trigger a macro based on a cell value Here is the code I thought might work =if(A1=1, Run_OLM(),"") Any advice on these topics is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tushar...

finding a cell from numerical coordinates
I am given coordinates like 10,100 and 125,200 - is there a way to tell Excel to find the corresponding cell? Can I change the top row letters to numbers? On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:38:01 -0700, Chip <Chip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I am given coordinates like 10,100 and 125,200 - is there a way to tell Excel >to find the corresponding cell? Can I change the top row letters to numbers? Try this =OFFSET(A1, 10-1, 100-1) and =OFFSET(A1, 125-1, 200-1) or, in general =OFFSET(A1, x-1, y-1) where x and y are your coordinates. Hope this helps / Lars-�ke Hi, Ch...

3 format cell tabs hidden in excel dialog box
When I right click on the cell and go to format cells instead of seeing 6 tabs as usual I see three tabs and the other three are on a lower level and covered by the information in the dialog box. I can only see the very top edge of the tabs. Any ideas what could be causing this? If you're using Excel 97, and making copies of copies of worksheets, you may hit a limit, because of the way the sheets are being numbered in the background. If that's the case, try copying one of the first sheets, instead of the last one. pjbjamison wrote: > When I right click on the cell and g...

How do I restore format cells menu?
I am working in Excel 2002, multi-page workbook. On some pages "format cell" is not operational - neither from the toolbar or by right-clicking mouse. Command is there but produces no result. On other pages in the same book all is well. There are no protected pages, and this is happening only in one particular workbook. Have tried reset to no avail. When copy and paste material to properly functioning page problem is carried as well. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated. ...

Chart Axes Linked to cell values
Hello Everyone. I have some sort of a problem with linking chart axe (min and max values) to cell values in a worksheet. I am using th macro that I found in Mr Peltier' site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html It worked just fine for a simple test I was doing.. BUT, I came up wit the idea of assigning to the cells (the cells that contain the scal params) some worksheet functions, to determine the values from a set o data. When I did this, the macro didn't work anymore. It didn't pop u any errors or such things, it just didn't adjust the chart anymo...

cell formatting problems
I installed Office 2000 onto my desktop before I reformatted the hard drive and everything worked fine. I reformatted and then got a laptop. For some reason certain functions are now refusing to work. Funtions such as: formatting individual cells and colouring individual cells (or lines). I can't change any of the cells properties...the window doesn't come up at all when I do Ctrl+1. Also, when I try to colourize some cells...nothing happens. Please, please help me. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled with no resolution to the problem. I've tried installing different fea...

Linking a Message Box to a cell value
Okay, this is probably the worst way to do things, but I want to link cell value to a message box. I am basically going to use the messag box as a method of data validation. If the data value of the cel exceeds a certain data range, then the message box should pop up an alert the user that his input data is "out-of-range" I can't really use the data validation approach. I have a drop dow menu next to the input data cell to allow for different input units. This drop down menu is used along with conversion factors to a specifi unit that I want to use in my calculations. The ...

can I sort colored cells?
Hi, Can I sort a column that some cells are colored "red" and and some "yellow" in the nearby columns seperately via VBA?. Please provide a sample code that does the job. Thank you for your time. JACK Yes ! with this code (paste in a module VBA) Function MyColor(CkCell As Object) Application.Volatile True MyColor = Abs(CkCell.Interior.ColorIndex) ' not for the conditionnal color !!! End Function In a diff�rent colum, you type = mycolor(A1) and you sort by this nex column Bye -- ....Patrick Quoi que vous fassiez, faites le bien . Mail: http://cerbermail.com/...

downloading financial info
I thought money was supposed to figure my download information out better than it does. I enter my spending, download and get the accept box, now it also tosses in all these same ones in separate boxes. My database is a horror show because it is now double entering. What made you think that? Reading other postings in the newsgroup about problems with downloaded transaction data? "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18dde01c41be2$f6877d90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I thought money was supposed to figure my download > information out better t...

Celling formatting failing
Hi All, I am having an unsual behaviour and am trying to track the cause. In excel 2000 I am entering the date 17/12/1969 in a cell e.g. B2 then a new date 17/12/2004 below it in C2 then lastly third a date 17/12/2005 in D2. I then highlight the 3 cells which show the date exactly as entered above. I go to Format > Cells and change on the number tab the category from General to date. I then select the desired type (in my case being 17-Dec-69 in the first dates case). The behaviour I see is that the Sample preview above the types field does NOT change to match the selection. Nor does it ...

Inserting file in a header
Using Word 2007. I have an existing file that I use as the header on second and subsequent pages of letterhead paper. In Word 2003, I would just Insert / Filename in the header and be done (after choosing "different first page"). In Word 2007, I start with a blank Header, but when I go to insert the Filename (Insert/Text/Object/Text from File/Filename), nothing happens. What's wrong? Inserting a file into the header certainly works for me. Are you sure that the file you are inserting hasn't been damaged? Have you tried a different file? -- Stefan Blo...

Confine results of web query to one cell
How do you confine the results of a web query to one cell in Excel 2004? Under Excel 2004 a web query always seems to use up two cells in a given column no matter what data range properties I set. I never had a problem with this in Excel 2000. ...

CToolBarCtrl.Customize() dialog could delete button but not insert
CToolBarCtrl.Customize() dialog could delete button but not insert A CToolBar is created during FrameWindow::OnCreate(), In response to a Menu of Customize tool bar, Add handle to this Menu by GetToolBarCtrl plus ToolBarCtrl.Customize(). As you know if the Framewindow does not response to the WM_NOTIFY of TBN_QUERYINSERT message with result of TRUE, the Tool bar customize dialog screen will gone with a flash. So add two handle in Framewindow of TBN_QUERYINSERT and TBN_QUERYDELETE, now the tool bar customize dialog display correctly. You can delete the button, buttons deleted display in the B...

Format cell if cell is zero
I have Excel that show text after Calculating in the cell. I want the cell dosen't show the text before the cell is typing any value. How I do that ?? // sokoban ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If the value is typed in cell B3, and the text is in C3, enter the following formula in cell C3: =IF(B3=0,"","This is the text") or =IF(B3="","","This is the text") When you type in B3, the text wil...

blank cell #3
How do I usse conditional formatting to tell all the cells in a particular column to change one color if there is something in a cell, and another if it is blank? The column in question is the "Date Closed" column and I want the blank cells to stand out from the rest. Thanks Ross Select the column (I used E). And with E1 the active cell... Format|conditional formatting formula is: =E1="" choose a nice format Ross wrote: > > How do I usse conditional formatting to tell all the cells in a particular > column to change one color if there is something in ...

how can i select all the cells with same color on a sheet if there are multipale colors by vba code
how can i select all the cells with same color on a sheet if there are multipale colors by vba code Much better than the 1st post. try this Sub selectyellows() For Each cel In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If cel.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then mystr = mystr & cel.Address & "," End If Next cel mystr = Left(mystr, Len(mystr) - 1) Range(mystr).Select End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "uobt" <uobt@aol.com> wrote in message news:1103129633.880542.286200@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > how can i select all the cells with same color on a shee...

can i link a cell to a calendar so it will auto update
i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date Format > Conditional Formatting, Cell value is greater than [date] Select Format and change text color to desired color "paulyoung666" wrote: > i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date ...