Inserting a string of text in front of existing text in excel

How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text
cells on a multiple cell basis ?
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
try something like the following macro (works on your
selection):
sub foo()
dim rng as range
dim cell as range
dim str_part
set rng=selection
str_part="precede_"
for each cell in rng
if cell.value<>"" then
cell.value=str_part & cell.value
end if
next
end sub

0
frank.kabel (11126)
6/11/2004 12:30:17 PM
If a formula will do, try something like this (with the existing text in A1):

="Test to be inserted "&A1

You can copy te formula down. Then if you need the text to be just text, you can copy and paste special, values.

"pol" wrote:

> How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text
> cells on a multiple cell basis ?

0
Vaughan (64)

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

Excel toolbar button
Is it possible to add a toolbar button to MS Excel programatiacally?, without opening excel?. Is it possible to add a toolbar button to MS Excel programatiacally?, without opening excel?, and link it to a macro that already exists in a file? ...

Excel VB-Copy formula down until adjacent cell (left) is blank?
Here is exactly what I am trying to do through VB in Excel: Weekly data pull fills colums A:G. Row count is always different. I am modifying the data pull through VB, and I have a VLOOKUP formula in cell H2. What I want VB to do is copy that formula down column H to the last row (with data) each week. I guess I want it to be dynamic so that as rows decrease/increase the formula is only copied down to the final row/record. I know someone out of this smart group will know how to do this! Thanks in advance! Tony (pseudo code) in a macro .... dim lngLastrow as long dim rngTarget...

Inserting photos in the MS Exel
Hello, I almoast complete my application that includes inserting photos in the document. Som photos happens to be large that makes Excel file too fat and Excel eventualy copaps. Below is rutine I use to insert photo. I wonder if there may be any modifications that insereted photo will be reduced to 200 dpi when inserted. This is possible when photo is inserted manualy. I do not know how to make this automatically... I mean in the code. Another solution may be to check size of phto that is about to be inserted and to denay users to insrert larger photos than 150 Kb?? Any help is much...

select case to replace text with different text
I'm trying to use a Select Case in a Private Sub Worksheet_Change event to do the following: if I type w in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with WIDGETS if I type g in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with GIDGETS seems like it should be simple but I can't come up with the code. On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:28:54 -0600, "John" <nodak457@yahoo.com> wrote: >I'm trying to use a Select Case in a Private Sub Worksheet_Change event to >do the following: > >if I type w in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with WIDGETS >if ...

Faulting application error in excel
I have a PC that keeps getting a crash in excel. It repeats with the same error each time in the event viewer: Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, debug? 0, fault address 0x000b035a. I have tried a repair install. A remove and reinstall. Along with steps to remove the excel profile. The crash happens about every other day and sometimes a couple times or more each day. Any ideas? Thank you, Jason This is a guess and may not work, but ... I've read (somewhere) that most causes of crash...

Writing text to a CMDIFrameWnd
Hi All I'm trying to display some information about my main window in the control bar, specifically the magnification and the x & y coordinates of the mouse. After some work I got the Combo Box that displays the magnification working but I'm stumped on the coordinates. First thing is the VC++ class wizard doesn't seem to generate a DoDataExchange function for CMDIFrameWnds so I had to write it myself, but once I did, the ComboBox was happy. I've defined the mouse coordinates as static text, IDC_XVAL and ICD_YVAL, in the Dialog bar, though they don't show up as the ...

Excel VBA
Hi again, I have enclosed a timesheet which i want to break down the day activities by a percentage, so if my sheet says an activity took a hour then the day column would tell you percentage of a seven hou day. Also i want the date column date to change each day. Currently it work for one day but then the next day it changes all the above cells to th current date. I have attached the file Cheers Stev Attachment filename: book2.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=56396 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Rich Text control formatted as bold??
I have a control field on my form that is setup as textformat = rich text. In the memo field on the form I need specific parts of the text to show up as bold. Upon form load I am populating the field with string data such as: Me.MyTextBox = "This is a test string generation." I need to set bold only one or two words of this string. The way I understood it was that if I was using Rich Text format it would convert the formatting to HTML style. But I don't see and havent found examples HTML formatting like [b] [/b] working in VBA. What is the correct way I can do t...

Excel 2002 Template Wizard
Doe anyone know if the Excel 2002 Template Wizard add-in will work in Excel 2003? I don't use xl2003, but I've seen posts that say that it does. John Fox wrote: > > Doe anyone know if the Excel 2002 Template Wizard add-in > will work in Excel 2003? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

How to represent a column in Excel
Hi, everyone I currently have a formula. {=SUM(IF((Data!G2:G75="Verified")*(Data!K2:K75<=7),1,0))} However, the length of both column G and K are not fixed. The data is retrieved from a remote database. Is there any other way to represent it ? Thanks One quick-and-dirty way is to just do the whole column, x`like: > {=SUM(IF((Data!G2:G65536="Verified")*(Data!K2:K65536<=7),1,0))} It won't be appropriate for Excel 2007, but is there any chance at all you'll actually fill the sheet to row 65536? It's also considered somewhat sloppy, but you'...

Print or Print Preview not showing text
Print or Print Preview not showing text using PP2007 just released SP2 for office Now when we try to use print or print preview only see some of the text headers. None of the text is showing or the background or images, using built in templates. Worked bofore After testing, I found I have to set the color/greyscale - to colour to actually use the print preview. But it previews in grey scale, can't even see the preview in color. Unless I also go into printer settings and change that to color then get colour in preview. If I set it to grey scale and my printer is a ...

Printing EXCEL items in WORD
Excel seems to work better for tables than WORD's tables; yet when a table created in EXCEL is copied and pasted into a WORD document I caannot get the gridlines to print. Even thouigh in EXCEL the print gridlines instructions are checked. What should I do? I've always apply borders--either in Excel or in Word. In Word: select a cell in the table Table|Select|Table Format|borders and shading|borders tab check the All icon. The gridlines in Word don't print. Word's help says to use borders. (I just checked.) Old Red One wrote: > > Excel seems to work bett...

sum and times within text boxes
I want to multiply text boxs ie 4(1box)x $1.00(2box)=Total $4.00 (3box). I also want sum total (5 text boxes) for grand total. Is this feasible on form?? Thanks On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:58:01 -0800, He cries for help <Hecriesforhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Have you tried an expression like: =[1box] * [2box] (assuming your control names are 1box and 2box. This expression would go in 3box' Control Source property. -Tom. >I want to multiply text boxs ie 4(1box)x $1.00(2box)=Total $4.00 (3box). >I also want sum total (5 text boxes) for grand total. > >Is this ...

Getting date stored as text into real date?
A database query program outputs everything as a text string. One of the fields is a date, formatted as yyyymmdd. Is there a worksheet function that will change this to an Excel-recognized date? Or a macro? The error checking doesn't flag this. Ed With your text date in A1, try this in B1: =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),(RIGHT(A1,2)) Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 17, 1:12 pm, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote: > A database query program outputs everything as a text string. One of > the fields is a date, formatted as yyyymmdd. Is there a worksheet > function t...

Outlook
We are on Exchange 2007, Outlook 2007 and Excel 2007. A users sends a specific spreadsheet to multiple users 2-3 times a week. About once a week, one of the users tries to open the file and it is corrupted. The original file is 18K but after he attempts to open it, it reduces to 4K. If he tries to forward the message, it goes out corrupted. If he saves the file first, it is fine. But it still becomes corrupted if he tries to open from the attachment. We all use the same anti-virus and this is the only Excel document he has the problem with. He receives many from various source...

OWA problem on front-end server
I'm currently running Exchange 2003 over Windows 2000 SP4 with a front-end server handling all the OWA and SSL. I've foung that any email ending with ..EML as opposed to .EML (note the extra dot) gets a 404 page not found. However if I log into OWA on a backend server the same email with the ..EML opens no problem. If anyone has some insight into this problem I'd be greatly appreciated. Take a look at: 320089 XCCC: The URLScan Utility Does Not Allow You to Open Messages in OWA http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 Thanks, Richard Roddy Microsoft Exchange Support This...

How to Wrap Text
I have a 267 characters texts field. MS Excel 2007 will not show all the texts. It showed a bunch of ## symbols in the cell. I have tried several tutorials on how to wrap texts but it didn't work. I have tried these: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-wrap-excel-2007-data-to-see-all-the-text.html http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-wrap-text-in-ms-word-2007-and-ms-excel-2007/ http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Wrap-Really-Long-Text-in-Excel-110694838 And it didn't work. The cell still shows the ## symbols. Any help is appreciated. Format the cel...

Help with formula containing text
Hi I need some help on the following. I have a column of text, linked to other worksheets, that is continuously changing. I need to be alert if the same piece of text appears in the column more than twice, e.g. Tom Tom Jane Mary Mary Tom "ALERT" Thanks Mike -- mlhynes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mlhynes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12959 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401787 Mike Visit Chip Pearson's site for much help on duplicates. Fin...

insert xml element in a speicific location
let's say i have a xml file <root> <stuff id='1'> <stuff1> </stuff1> </stuff> </root> how do i insert new <stuff2>element and atrribute after stuff1 dotnetnoob wrote: > let's say i have a xml file > > <root> > <stuff id='1'> > <stuff1> > </stuff1> > </stuff> > </root> > > how do i insert new <stuff2>element and atrribute after stuff1 You can do that with the DOM e.g. (C#) XmlDocument xmlDocument = new XmlDocument(); xmlDocument.Load(...

CHANGING LEGEND TEXT
I wish to change the text in the legend box from say- (Series 1) to (MPG) or anything that has a relevance to the graph. This was done easily in Works Spreadsheet and previous versions of Excel. Using 2007 Student & Home version. Hi, Select the chart and use the ribbon Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data On the dialog select the appropriate series and Edit. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mareng" <mareng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDF2E10C-04F5-411E-94C0-2504B48C1900@microsoft.com... &...

Front end/Back end Dilema
Hello, I currently have 2 exchange servers. Site 1 is primary about 250 acc'ts Site 2 is the second server about 60 acc'ts. I currently like this setup as if one goes down I have redundancy for mail still being qued then delieved when the other box is backup. My dilema is at Site 1 there server is nearing capacity and the price to do any hardware upgrades is not worth it as I will buy a new one. I've been reading up and it would seem I could benefit from having a front-end exchange box for both these servers to offset OWA access, RPS over HTTPS and mobile SSL access from smart phon...

Excel Add-In loading
Under Windows XP and Office 2003, I have installed an Add-In (xla) and copied it to the XLStart folder. I can load the Add-In fine, but when I close Excel, the menu item disappears. Is there any way to load the Add-In so that I don't have to manually load it each time I close and restart Excel? I did not have this problem on Windows 2000. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "xlpuzzled" <xlpuzzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E300657-3184-4C41-A201-6D110E26D6C3@microsoft.com... > Under Windows XP and Of...