Insert Row formatting

Can someone tell me the 'rules' that Excel is using in this situation? And an
impossible question: why?

I have a table that has a header row with AutoFilters turned on. If I select
the row following the header and select Right-click insert. A row is inserted
above the current one, but the row inherits the formatting and other
attributes from the row above.

Why the heck is it inheriting from the row above but inserting above the
selected row. I would more expect the inserted row to inherit from the
selected row.

Second question. Most columns are not inheriting the borders, but three
columns are. What would cause some columns to inherit the borders but not
others?

Thanks a bunch,
John S.

A more important problem is that the header row is locked and the sheet
protected. So the inserted row inherits the locked status. How can I prevent
inheriting the lock?

"DocBrown" wrote:

> Can someone tell me the 'rules' that Excel is using in this situation? And an
> impossible question: why?
>
> I have a table that has a header row with AutoFilters turned on. If I select
> the row following the header and select Right-click insert. A row is inserted
> above the current one, but the row inherits the formatting and other
> attributes from the row above.
>
> Why the heck is it inheriting from the row above but inserting above the
> selected row. I would more expect the inserted row to inherit from the
> selected row.
>
> Second question. Most columns are not inheriting the borders, but three
> columns are. What would cause some columns to inherit the borders but not
> others?
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> John S.

"Are there designs for invoice formats"
i AM LOOKING FOR 2 OR 3 DESIGN FORMATS FOR INVOICING AND FAX COVER SHEETS. DOES PUBLISHER OFFER THESE? THANKS. What version Publisher? Look at Business Forms in the template area. There are FAX covers here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=fax&sc=4&av=ZPB -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "1978DOLCE" <1978DOLCE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF789C6D-CC46-44BC-B3B9-F6B2D7CC9962@microsoft.com... >i AM LOOKING FOR 2 OR 3 DESIGN FORMATS FOR INVOICING AND FAX COVER SHEETS. > DOES PUBLISHER ...

Inserting symbol
I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for the correct total. Do I need to change my SUM fx in some way to correct this? Hi, Do it with a format. Right click your cell - Format - Number tab -select Custom enter this custom format alter to include the symbol you wannt 0.0" Your Symbol" OK Mike "judyl" wrote: > I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. > When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for th...

Matching names and inserting spaces
I hope someone can help me out with this. Say I have column A filled with like 500 names, and column B filled with 300 of the same names. Is there a way or a formula to match the names in column B to the corresponding names in column A, move the name in B to be in the same row as the name in A, and to insert blank cells into B where there are no names to match A? Example: A B Abe Abe Brad Brian Brian Chris Chris changed to: A B Abe Abe Brad Brian...

Excel Number Format Codes
I can't figure out how to format numbers so that when you type 3220 it will look like 32.20 kinda like how you can enter numbers on an adding machine. I would greatly appreciate this number format code. Thank you. -- 1:~ Hi, I think you want to go Tools | Options | Edit | Fixed Decimals - 2. That will divide all the numbers you enter by 100. You will also have to format the row or column to display 2 decimals. Select the cells or range, right mouse click, format cells, numbers, 2 decimals. Hope that helps. Best regards, Kevin "MBB" <MBB@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Save custom formats independantly of workbooks?
Hi, Is there a way to save several custom formats (say, numbers in $000's, in $ millions, etc) which I would use for a variety of workbooks (including workbooks where those formats do not exist yet), with a name, and make them accessible from the toolbars? Earlier today someone kindly suggested to assign a name to the format using Format -> Style, but the formats I had saved have disappeared from the style menu once I closed a spreadhseet and used a different one. Any suggestion? Many thanks, Joss Delage ...

Input mask & Format question
Greetings I use the input mask \(999") "999\-9999 in the Phone field of my table. I wanted the brackets, space and dash stored in the table because the data is imported into other applications. 1234567890 is stored as (123) 456-7890. On one of my forms there is a combobox with fields CustID, CustName, Phone. My problem is how to format the phone number in the cbo. It shows up as 1234567890. Thanks in advance Becky Hi - Set the input mask to \(999") "999\-9999:0 (adding semicolon - zero). This forces the literals to be stored along with the other characters...

underline in row not repeating
It seems as if my bottom of the cell outline is not repeating on subsequent pages. I have a few header rows on a sheet. The bottom row has a bottom line. I'm talking about cell outlines, not underlining of words in the cell. Anyway, I've told the print option to repeat the first 3 rows on following pages but the bottom outline does not seem to repeat. How can I fix this? Thanks, Keith Never mind. This seems to be working. Not sure what was going on the first time. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OM82rj8rIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >...

Extract some fields from a Row to a column #2
Hi! Frank Thanks for your help, Follows a sample of my database, as you'll see try to get the info in row 2 to column B and row 3 to Column C. Thanks Again Column A Column B ColumnC Column D Colum E Row 1 GEORGE CLAUDIA Row 2 Row 3 SARASOTA F 34237 Row 2 2750 RINGLING BLVD Row 3 Phone: (941) 954-5536 Row 1 GEORGE DESPINA CPA APALACHICOLA FL 32320 Row 2 99 MARKET ST Row 3 Phone: (850) 653-2770 Row 1 GEORGE F CPA PA TALLAHASSEE FL 32308 Row 2 170...

format cell #4

Create individual files from a row

unicode format files for Outlook 2002
I use Outlook 2002. I would like to use Unicode files (for larger size). I see references to using it with Outlook 2003, but none for 2002. can unicode files be used with Outlook 2002? If so, how? thanks, Huck No OL 2003 & 2007 only "Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message news:epYUYAl4IHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I use Outlook 2002. I would like to use Unicode files (for larger size). >I see references to using it with Outlook 2003, but none for 2002. can >unicode files be used with Outlook 2002? If so, how? > > than...

Does anyone have a format or template for a Education Cover Letter
Does anyone have a format or template for a Education Cover Letter? To Whom It May Concern: Enclosed please find an education. Sincerely, eb -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "eb" <eb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CEF7B84-6F7A-4D07-97B3-F349F3B11E54@microsoft.com... > Does anyone have a format or template for a Education Cover Letter? > "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message news:O3aNFsq2KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.g...

time formats #3
I have an Excel sheet with a long list of times spent on various projects. The times should all be in minutes and seconds. The first time reads 2:29 and I know that is accurate, for 2 min, 29 seconds. In the formula bar, it reads, 2:29:00 AM. Another...the cell displays 0:40 and I know that is right, for 40 seconds. But in the formula bar, I see 12:40:00 AM I want numbers, but apparently I am looking at times. I tried changing the format. When I check the format for 2:29, it comes up Custom and says it is hh:mm, not mm:ss. I tried changing it to mm:ss, but that changes the displa...

Conditional Formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen? Thanks, Greg 1. Place the cursor in A1 cell and select the Range 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and paste the below formula =LEFT(A1,1)="-" 4. Click Format Button>Font>Color select your desired font & Background Color pattern and then give ok Change the cell reference of A1 to your desired cell, if required. But keep in mind that when applying the conditional formatting the Active cell should be in the ce...

an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format
Hello, This is the error I get on Windows 7. I tried going to the project screen in vb.net Studio 2008, and changing the target cpu to x64. This did not work. Do I have to build the program on Windows 7? I'm sure this must be a common problem for programs going to Windows 7. Thanks for any help. Scott On May 22, 2:17=A0am, "Scott Baxter" <sc...@websearchstore.com> wrote: > Hello, > > This is the error I get on Windows 7. > > I tried going to the project screen in vb.net Studio 2008, and changing t= he > target cpu to x64....

how to insert borders on flyer within Microsoft publisher?
Please help, I'm trying to insert a border around a flyer...I'm using Microsoft Publisher. Thanks, Harriet Is it a clipart border, Borderart or a simple rectangle? What problems are you having? What version Publisher? Any border you insert should be sent to the back so it does not interfere with your main design. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Harriet" <Harriet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E2ED4D8-CC09-497F-A17C-44AE41F951C9@microsoft.com... > Please help, I'm ...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Conferting File format
One of my users stored 250 photos on CD in a pdf format. The person that will work with them wants them in a raw format. Is there any way to convert the entire disk at one time to a raw format, rather than opening each file and saving in the new format? Thank you. vsp deborah <vspdeborah@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > One of my users stored 250 photos on CD in a pdf format. The person > that will work with them wants them in a raw format. Is there any way > to convert the entire disk at one time to a raw format, rather than > opening each f...

Too many different cell formats #6

date/time formatting

Determine number of rows with data

Date Formatting when Concantenating