Insert hyperlink with another application

I have a excel spreadhseet containing a hyperlink column, showing the
path to a jpeg file. When I click on the hyperlink I would like it to
open the jpeg file using an imaging application. I would like to repear
this for a vast amount of data so that I don't have to insert objects
for each individual record.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks

snr.veksn (1)

You can use the  HYPERLINK Worksheet Function
if your   .jpg   file extension is registered to the software you want
to open it.
---
HTH,

"snr" <snr.veksn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:snr.veksn@excelforum-nospam.com...
> I have a excel spreadhseet containing a hyperlink column, showing the
> path to a jpeg file. When I click on the hyperlink I would like it to
> open the jpeg file using an imaging application. I would like to repear [repeat???]
> this for a vast amount of data so that I don't have to insert objects
> for each individual record.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
10/16/2003 10:03:56 PM
How about using a worksheet formula?

If column A held the full name of the .jpg file (including drive, path), then a
formula like this might work ok:

	=hyperlink(a1)
or
	=hyperlink(a1,"click to open")

But this will open the windows program that is associated with .jpg.

And you didn't ask, but there's a neat freeware program that might make your
foray into excel for graphics moot.

http://www.irfanview.com/

snr wrote:

> I have a excel spreadhseet containing a hyperlink column, showing the
> path to a jpeg file. When I click on the hyperlink I would like it to
> open the jpeg file using an imaging application. I would like to repear
> this for a vast amount of data so that I don't have to insert objects
> for each individual record.
>
> Any response would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Another MDI or SDI question
I would like to convert my VB app to VC++, but I am unsure as to which framework to use. The application will interface to a hardware device to monitor, record and analyze data. There will only be one set of data, but I would like to view it in various formats (spreadsheet, graph, etc.). Because of the multiple views, am I correct to assume I should choose MDI? Any advice would be appreciated. This sounds definitely like MDI. I have built, in all my apps, two SDI apps, and regretted both of them (I had to rewrite them as MDI). The rest of my apps are dialog apps, and one of those uses tabbed ...

Copy a currency value from one control to another
I have a text box (called ExtendedCost), that has a sum statement in it. I want to copy the value on the exit control event to another text box control (called WithdrawlAmount) on the same form and write the value into WithdrawlAmount box on the Enter Event for the control box, so people don't have to input the same number into the control box. Is there an easy way to do this? If it's the same calculated value, just use the same expression. Generally, don't store calculated values. Just perform the calculation as needed. If you need more help with this, describ...

Trace precedents from another worksheet
I'm trying to trace precedents from another worksheets. However, when I do this, I just get an arrow leading to a worksheet icon. Clicking on the icon just gives me a formula, and worksheet that contains the precedents shows no arrows or anything. I remember that this used to work fine in earlier versons of Excel. (I have Excel 2002). Do you know what's going wrong? Thanks, Katie -- ModelerGirl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ModelerGirl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6364 View this thre...

Further Info on changing text in one cell to to criteria of another.
I have a workbook that charts the progress of my clients. One of m cells automatically determines their age, and when they become olde than six, I need another cell's text to automatically change to "AO (standing for "Aged Out" of my program). I cannot us the functio =IF(A1>6,"AO"," ") because I already have the clients status imputed i that cell. I need it to be a type of conditional formatting or VB cod so that it will automatically change once the reach 6. I have attache an example of my workbook. It has a VB code that changes the row colo based on ...

How do I associate task list with another calendar?
I have an extensive task list that shows in one calendar view. I would like it to show in another. Can I associate it, or does it have to all be reentered? "holyharvester" <holyharvester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A0249B2-3A52-43ED-9509-E65851724BD9@microsoft.com... >I have an extensive task list that shows in one calendar view. I would like > it to show in another. Can I associate it, or does it have to all be > reentered? You first: state your Outlook version. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Only the default task list dis...

Formula copying from one workbook to another...
Hello Excel community friends. Here's my problem: I trying to copy a formula from a worksheet in one workbook to a worksheet (of the same name and same cell location) in another workbook. Say the formula from workbook1/worksheet1 is =sum(1+1) and the name of workbook1 is "Me" and the name of the worksheet1 is "Sheet1" and located in cell A1. Of course, when you copy the formula from "Me" to another workbook (named, say, "You") and to the same location (A1) and on the same named worksheet, "Sheet1", the preface of the formula is s...

set a value to another cell
how to set(not get) a cell value to another cell? is it possible? A cell formula can get, but only a macro can set. Some exceptions (manually): Scenarios, Goal Seek, Subtotals, Text to Columns and Advanced Filter, none of which is applicable to your situation. -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "news.microsoft.com" <whoknows@microsft.com> wrote in message news:%23kjDDZRoIHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > how to set(not get) a cell value to another cell? > is it pos...

Copying records from one (sub)form to another subform using Append
I have a mainform with products (and thier details) from a products table and a subform showing ingredients (from an ingredients table). I wish to select existing ingredient records from one subform and copy them to so that they appear as ingredients in a new Mainform. I have a selection box next to each of the ingredients to enable selection but how do I "copy" these selections to the new record on the new mainform. Do I use an append query to do this? Any guidance on doing this would be great (not too experienced in this area). Many Thanks On Tue, 9 Feb 2010...

Does anyone know of a software application for Pivot tables other. #2
We have some very complex pivot tables in Excel that unfortunately are not very stable or flexible when you make changes. The data list is used to generate multiple pivot tables in the same workbook but the data and the number of records can change frequently. One time we might have 18000 records and the next time we might have 2500 records. So far it seems that everytime we have to change the data we have to reset the data source range for each pivot table. I believe each pivot table was copied via Edit, Move or Copy, rather than being generated as anew pivot table or based on anot...

Error message with copying sheet to another workbook
I always encounter an error message when i copy a sheet from one workbook to another workbook. The error message is as below: ================ A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '____123graph_A', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? - to use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes - to rename the range referred to the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box. ================ I have tried to click No and enter a new Name, but afterward...

Excel---Copying text from one cell a a sheet to another cell on a
I know this will sound stupid but, I cannot get TEXT that I type in one cell on sheet 1 to show up in a cell on sheet 15. Aby help?? If the cell on the 1st sheet is A1, in the cell on Sheet15, you put the formula =Sheet1!A1 On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:33:01 -0700, "Reeezzzy" <Reeezzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know this will sound stupid but, I cannot get TEXT that I type in one cell >on sheet 1 to show up in a cell on sheet 15. Aby help?? ...

unwanted hyperlinks
at work a shared excel file frequently opens with unwanted hyperlinks to shared folders. no hyperlinks were ever created in this file, and no hyperlinks ever pointed to this file. hyperlinks in excel have been used in the past on a computer that accesses the file, but was unrelated. the hyperlinks are not active, and we have to remove each one manually which is quite exhausting. any help would be appreciated. thanks, chris ...

A macro that copies entire worksheet to another
Hi- Can anybody help me with a macro that copies an entire worksheet to another (or creates a new worksheet named by a value in a cell)? I plan to use a push button to copy this data. I'd appreciate any help - Jim Ayers Hi Jim, Why don't you revert the easiest and the most illustrative method of writing a macro (and learning how to write a macro) by using the macro recording facility? There may be slight changes depending on your Excel version, but generally you click Tools --> Macro --> Record New Macro, then mimic exactly what you want to happen, stopping recording a...

SBS as a DC but CRM on another Server
Hi everyone, I just have few questions which I hope someone out there will be able to answer for me. We have an SBS 2003 Server which is our DC and we are running SQL Server, Exchange Server and Microsoft CRM on a non-raided server. 1. Is it possible to have an SBS Server 2003/8 running as a DC with SQL Server & Exchange on it but run Microsoft CRM on another server running Windows 2003/2008 Server. We just want to spread the workload on the DC. 2. Bar the obvious reasons for using raid, would you recommend having SBS running of a raided machine? What about CRM if it can be run from an...

viewing another users calendar
Hi All, When attempting to view one certain users calendar the message "unable to display the folder. the calendar folder could not be found" is displayed, this is also the same for the inbox etc. This is only happening for one user. All other users can view this calendar and i can view all other users calendars. Does any one have any suggestions? ...

Set control AfterUpdate event to procedure in another module
Hi, i know i can set a controls AfterUpdate event to a user defined procedure if it is in the same module as the code, however is it possible to set it to a procedure in a different module? i.e. By setting in the OnFormLoad() event: cbo.AfterUpdate = "=Module1.Translate()" I cant get it to work, it just says "the expression you entered has a function name that microsoft office access cannot find". The Translate procedure is public. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris If Module1 is a standard module (not a class module, and not the module of a form...

Excel sheet is missing in application
Hi I am not able to open my excel sheet by doubleclicking on it. The excel sheet is missing from the excel application (leaves a gaping hole in the center) with only the menu bar visible. But am able to do the same by running a instance first (from RUN) and then opening it from there. Any way out? Dey Are you sure it's not opening? Maybe it's just off the screen. Try clicking on Window on the toolbar. Do you see your workbook name at the bottom of the list? If yes, try Window|Arrange|Tiled and then resize by hand (and then save it). If it's not really there, do you get...

VBA to Open Hyperlink(Concatenate)
Hello All, I've found useful VBA on this forum for activating my Hyperlink in cell A1 of my Excel spreadsheet : ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Hyperlinks(1).Follow My Hyperlink in Cell A1 is made up of a Concatenate using cells from different worksheets. Such as below : =HYPERLINK((CONCATENATE(HoldPoints!$A$1,HoldPoints!A2),A3) If I click on it, it opens fine, however, if I try to open it with the vba code above, I get an error message "Subscript out of range". I've tried different combinations. It always works by clicking, but not by the vba code. However - If i...

Excel opening very slow after giving hyperlink
Hi all, I am trying to create an excel sheet with around 31K rows and have size of 12MB. It works fine opens in less then a sec everything is fine with that. But when I try to give hyperlink to one of the column to show product images from CD or any HDD folder, the sheets becomes very slow in opening. Sheet opening time jumps from 1 sec to around 90 sec after putting just few cells hyperlinks to CD or HDD files. Thanks in advance , -Neelesh ...

Sending an entire worksheet via a hyperlink / button
I have a worksheet with many drop down menus, etc, and i want people to be able to fill it in, and then send it on ..... but you know how lazy people are .... if they have to save it, then send it, they will gripe about it! Is there a way to just have a hyperlink style button on the sheet that once the guys have filled it out, it just sends the sheet to me? Thanks, Jim Suggest looking at Ron de Bruin's website http://www.rondebruin.nl/ -- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

What files need to be shipped with Visual Studio 2008 Application that uses MFC Feature Pack
What all files (MFC dlls etc) need to be shipped with such an application (as in the subject line)? I understand most of the users won't be having the latest system dlls. So i wanted them to reside besides the application exe. I am using many Feature Pack utilities like Ribbon Interface etc. I found that wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Microsoft_Foundation_Class_Library) mentions MFC 9.0.30411 (mfc90.dll). How do I identify this? warm regards, Divya Rathore When I build my applications, I prefer to statically link with MFC. Although this makes my EXE image larger, it simplifies di...

How to insert an email into excel
I am trying to insert an link in excel that directs you to an email in outlook express. Hi You can open a file from hyperlink, but mails in Outlook or Outlook Express inbox are parts of a specific file (container) - p.e. for Outlook it's an pst-file, I don't remember what type of file it is for OE - which you can open and browse only with specific programs (mail client). You can't create a hyperlink to specific file in container, it would be same as crate p.e. a hyperlink to some specific file packed in a zip-archive. Arvi Laanemets "Jeeves" <Jeeves@discussions....

Question about Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dear all In my excel file there are two sheets: A and B B is very hidden in my vba code I am in sheet A and I need to insert a value in Sheet B then: Application.ScreenUpdating =3D False Sheets("B").Visible =3D xlSheetVisible .. .. .. Sheets("B").Visible =3D xlSheetVeryHidden Application.ScreenUpdating =3D True But I can see the macro running (for one second I can see the sheet B visible...) How can I solve this problem? Thanks! Andr=E9. Why does it have to be visible to start with? Something in your code that does UN necessary selections? -- Don Guillett Micr...

Problems Insert wmv file into PowerPoint Presentation
I am trying to insert a wmv into my PowerPoint presentation. A blue round circle appears and spins as if it is trying to load but nothing ever happens. When I finally give up (after 60 minutes one time) then my PowerPoint is locked up and I have to use my task manager to end. I am using PowerPoint 2007 and it does load audio files successfully. I should try to encode again the film into wmv (yes, the same file type) with the program SUPER (free) and try again to insert it. "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: EFECD6E3-8F0...