Insert Functions

Hello,

I need to insert the current time and date into excel when a barcode is 
scanned from an ID card. It requires the [ "ctrl" + "shift" + ";"  ] for 
which I can't find an ansii code for the latter or how to input the 
combination.. Any ideas how I can put this into the code so it will output 
to excel when the card is scanned. Also, it would be nice at the end of the 
code to get the focus to go to the next row, first column after a scan, to 
be ready for the next card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

David A. Powell 


0
reset (2)
12/20/2004 9:26:54 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
560 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

Hi
in VBA why not use something like
activecell.value = now

-- 
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"reset" <reset@portsphere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:vsHxd.6$4h.0@okepread03...
> Hello,
>
> I need to insert the current time and date into excel when a barcode is 
> scanned from an ID card. It requires the [ "ctrl" + "shift" + ";"  ] for 
> which I can't find an ansii code for the latter or how to input the 
> combination.. Any ideas how I can put this into the code so it will output 
> to excel when the card is scanned. Also, it would be nice at the end of 
> the code to get the focus to go to the next row, first column after a 
> scan, to be ready for the next card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> David A. Powell
> 


0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/20/2004 9:29:09 PM
Hi David,
I've never used a bar code reader, but it should be like keying
in the data and as such an Event macro would should work.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#datetimestamp

However since you are coding a macro anyway for the barcode
reader, which Frank picked up better simply use his suggestion
and for the second part of your request.
    cells(activecell.row+1,  1).select

should not apply to you, but after a manual entry you might have
dropped down to the next row, in which case:
    cells(activecell.row,  1).select
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message news:eARoyrt5EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> in VBA why not use something like
> activecell.value = now
>
> -- 
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
> "reset" <reset@portsphere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:vsHxd.6$4h.0@okepread03...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to insert the current time and date into excel when a barcode is
> > scanned from an ID card. It requires the [ "ctrl" + "shift" + ";"  ] for
> > which I can't find an ansii code for the latter or how to input the
> > combination.. Any ideas how I can put this into the code so it will output
> > to excel when the card is scanned. Also, it would be nice at the end of
> > the code to get the focus to go to the next row, first column after a
> > scan, to be ready for the next card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > David A. Powell
> >
>
>


0
dmcritchie (2586)
12/20/2004 10:59:29 PM
Thanks, Frank and David...I hope to be able to test this soon. I will be 
using a static time to be able to have scan in and scan out times, which I 
found in David's links. Now I will work on writing a macro in VBA. First 
time always has me nervous.

David A. Powell


"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:e76XEgu5EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi David,
> I've never used a bar code reader, but it should be like keying
> in the data and as such an Event macro would should work.
>   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#datetimestamp
>
> However since you are coding a macro anyway for the barcode
> reader, which Frank picked up better simply use his suggestion
> and for the second part of your request.
>    cells(activecell.row+1,  1).select
>
> should not apply to you, but after a manual entry you might have
> dropped down to the next row, in which case:
>    cells(activecell.row,  1).select
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
>
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message 
> news:eARoyrt5EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> in VBA why not use something like
>> activecell.value = now
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>> "reset" <reset@portsphere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:vsHxd.6$4h.0@okepread03...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I need to insert the current time and date into excel when a barcode is
>> > scanned from an ID card. It requires the [ "ctrl" + "shift" + ";"  ] 
>> > for
>> > which I can't find an ansii code for the latter or how to input the
>> > combination.. Any ideas how I can put this into the code so it will 
>> > output
>> > to excel when the card is scanned. Also, it would be nice at the end of
>> > the code to get the focus to go to the next row, first column after a
>> > scan, to be ready for the next card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > David A. Powell
>> >
>>
>>
>
> 


0
reset (2)
12/21/2004 12:37:47 AM
Hi David,
Frank gave you VBA for a  date and time timestamp
in VBA you are using  the VBA function NOW to create
a constant in a cell.   Use of NOW()  in a worksheet formula
would change upon recalculation.  Note the difference between
creating a constant in code and using a formula in a worksheet.

In Excel and in PC usage in general   a date is measured in
days past a certain date and time is measured as fractional
days so they both exist in a floating point number and take
no more room than if only one is present.  You can read more
about date and time at
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

"reset" <reset@portsphere.com> wrote in message news:yfKxd.11$4h.0@okepread03...
> Thanks, Frank and David...I hope to be able to test this soon. I will be
> using a static time to be able to have scan in and scan out times, which I
> found in David's links. Now I will work on writing a macro in VBA. First
> time always has me nervous.
>
> David A. Powell
>
>
> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:e76XEgu5EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi David,
> > I've never used a bar code reader, but it should be like keying
> > in the data and as such an Event macro would should work.
> >   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#datetimestamp
> >
> > However since you are coding a macro anyway for the barcode
> > reader, which Frank picked up better simply use his suggestion
> > and for the second part of your request.
> >    cells(activecell.row+1,  1).select
> >
> > should not apply to you, but after a manual entry you might have
> > dropped down to the next row, in which case:
> >    cells(activecell.row,  1).select
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > news:eARoyrt5EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi
> >> in VBA why not use something like
> >> activecell.value = now
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Regards
> >> Frank Kabel
> >> Frankfurt, Germany
> >> "reset" <reset@portsphere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >> news:vsHxd.6$4h.0@okepread03...
> >> > Hello,
> >> >
> >> > I need to insert the current time and date into excel when a barcode is
> >> > scanned from an ID card. It requires the [ "ctrl" + "shift" + ";"  ]
> >> > for
> >> > which I can't find an ansii code for the latter or how to input the
> >> > combination.. Any ideas how I can put this into the code so it will
> >> > output
> >> > to excel when the card is scanned. Also, it would be nice at the end of
> >> > the code to get the focus to go to the next row, first column after a
> >> > scan, to be ready for the next card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >> >
> >> > David A. Powell
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>


0
dmcritchie (2586)
12/21/2004 3:21:24 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Get PCI Bus/Function/Device Number
Hi All, Is there a way to get the PCI bus, function and device number on which my current driver is installed. I could only find bus number in DEVICE_REGISTRY_PROPERTY. I had used WdfDeviceQueryProperty to retrieve this data. How can I get the function and device number? Thank You. Regards, Sushma Sushma <sushma.yella@gmail.com> wrote: > >Is there a way to get the PCI bus, function and device number on which >my current driver is installed. Why? That information is not very useful. >I could only find bus number in >DEVICE_REGISTRY_PROPERTY. I h...

CRM 3.0 - Web UI
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem occur with their install of CRM 3.0. When you try to access the WorkPlace >> Calender page within the web application, i always get an error message when it tries to open the aspx page (home_calender.aspx). The error states "Unexpected error - an error has occured contact your system administrator" Any ideas as to why i would not be able to open this page ?? The user trying to open it has all roles assigned to it within CRM, and is a domain admins (Windows 2003 server, running Sql 2005, Exchange 2003) I am experienci...

Inserting a picture on a label
I am trying to insert a picture on a name badge label and when I insert it it does not show up. I can insert into other publications but not a label. What is up with that? Do you have detailed display enabled? View, pictures... If you do read the third FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "stew" <stew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23E0A05E-EBBE-4E0C-8B1E-A966EE185107@microsoft.com... >I am trying to insert a picture on a name ...

Function to find largest number from a series of numbers?
Is there a function to go across several columns of numbers and pick out the largest one? If not, how would I write that function? thanks to all Rick =MAX(A1:Z1) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "rs" <r_schiller@REMOVEcomcast.net> wrote in message news:2p-dnW3P0f...

How do I insert a frame in publisher 2003?
(It's kinda empty and echoey in this big space - try filling it with descriptions of what you're after) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher i am attempting to make a web site, when i use front page i can easily add frames to my page, i find publisher easier to use with graphics and clip art and want to use publisher as my web builder, but i am unable to figure out how to add a frame in publisher, got an ideas? thanks, "Ed Bennett" wrote: > (It's kinda empty and echoey in this big space - try filling it with > descriptions of what you're afte...

Excell IF Function
I am trying to use the IF function to total a row, if the sum is greater than 40 then the answer given back would be 40. This for a payroll workbook. Any help is appreciated. =IF(SUM(A1:Z1)>40,40,SUM(A1:Z1)) because you requested an IF function. Better is: =MIN(40,SUM(A1:Z1)) For whole row substitute IV1 for Z1. ----- Marc wrote: ----- I am trying to use the IF function to total a row, if the sum is greater than 40 then the answer given back would be 40. This for a payroll workbook. Any help is appreciated. Marc, how about something like this =IF(SUM(A1:J1)>4...

I'm a newbie please help with my function
I have an excel spreadsheet that has 2 columns of numbers side by side. I want a formula that counts the number of times the number in colum one are larger than the number that is right beside it in column two. After it counts it I want to display the total number that are large in a seperate cell. Is this possible. I cruised around the forum an I did not see what I was looking for so any help would be appreciated -- colincanno ----------------------------------------------------------------------- colincannon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26...

Function "IF"
Hi all, was wondering if it is possible to write the logical test of th function "IF" in words. For eg., usually the test function is i numbers, IF (E4 =< 3,G3,G4). But what if I want a cell to return th word "open" when the previous cell has no date entered and "close" whe a date is entered, what do I have to do? I tried IF (G4=AN NUMBer,Close, Open) but of course it doesn't work. So what can I do? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: =IF(ISNUMBER(G4),"Close","Open") In article <Rae.19o8ah@exce...

Looking for API Function for Overlaying two Icons,...
Hi, if i am right, i rememer a Windows API function, that could take a icon handle as input and draw a Exclamation icon on its lower-right surface. I remember these function as a very simple function, that could take a source icon handle, and/or a target icon handle and/or some additional flags, but i cant find these function. I am pretty sure that there was such a function in the windows API/Shell/GDI or wherever but i am relly sure, i just cant find it! Maybe i am wrong,... Does someone know these function? Regards Kerem -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre b...

Save as web page, but still have spreadsheet functionality
how do i do this. whe i go to save as web page, there is no box i can click but interactivity and the software im using (certiport mous practice test) tells me it is wrong ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ no one knows how to do this. I know someone does ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

what is the function in ms access like ""sumif""in ms excel?
what is the function in ms access like ""sumif""in ms excel? islam labib <islam labib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >what is the function in ms access like ""sumif""in ms excel? =Sum(IIf(condition, value, 0)) -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

How do I insert: A {a symbol (member of)} B
I'm try to write an equation where A is a "subset" of Ω using the horizontal member with an equals line under it. I've look at math symbols and Word 2007 equation writer, but I don't see the symbol. Is there one? Are you looking for Unicode 2286, "subset or equal to"? (I don't know what you mean by "horizontal member.") Type 2286 on the regular keyboard, then Alt-X. Cambria Math, Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans, and Lucida Sans Unicode are fonts that include that character. On Jan 27, 11:52=C2=A0am, Phil <P...@discussions.micr...

Using Function to call Woorbook Sheet
I would like to use WEEKDAY() to call a particular Sheet in a Wookbook. The Sheets are called Sunday - Saturday and I have an IF statement that needs to check for particular information on that sheet depending on what day it is. Have it currently functioning but it is taking up way to much space. I am unable to update my code with other functions that I need it to calculate until I can figure this part out. Code =IF(OR(AND((TEXT(TODAY(),"dddd")="Monday"),(HLOOKUP(MOD(NOW(),1),Monday!$B$1:$BA$40,2))>0),AND((TEXT(TODAY(),"dddd")="Tuesday"),(HLOOKU...

Processing Functions in a Table
Hi, I'm running Access 2003. I have a table that contains the following information: Item Count --- --- Postings =DCount("*","tblDocBoat","[ToPost]=True") Floating Copies =DCount("*","tblFloatingCopy","[Approved] = False") Releases =DCount("*","tblReleaseReq","[Processed] = False") Is there a way when I can get the functions to process, rather than showing the code, when viewing the table through a form or simply viewing the table? i.e: Item Count --- --- Po...

how do I add rows on excell using the =sum function
i have 100 200 300 about 7 numbers and I would like to know how to add them. =sum (g1-15)? If your numbers are in the range G1 to G15 try it like this: =SUM(G1:G15) When you need to reference a range of cells think of the colon as the word "to". G1 to G15 = G1:G15. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "mona" <mona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02681B49-0A08-4CCA-A6B5-A33BCAEEBDBF@microsoft.com... >i have 100 > 200 > 300 > about 7 numbers and I would like to know how to add them. > =sum (g1-15)? ...

Insert Image with name and filepath
I have three columns formatted as below. I want to read the value in column B and insert the image in column C. All images are located in a specific folder and I need all the images to be inserted into a standard cell size. Is there a way to cascade down thru the list and insert them programatically? OR if I provide this file with a part number, description and a hyperlink to somehow then pull an image of the part when clicked from an opposing worksheet - is this possible? I guess I am not only looking the execution but also idea's from people who have more expertise....

Need some assistance with a function
Hi, I'm a complete newbie, with no formal training trying to learn from a bunch of books. Unfortunately, there is much not in those basic books. First, I'm programming a WIN32 app which is an add-on. I do need to include windows.h, and it would seem this prevents me from using any MFC stuff. Is the CByteArray class an MFC thing? Can I do something like this: CByteArray mac; mac.SetSize(MAC_DIM); for( int i = 0; i < MAC_DIM; i++ ) { macAddress[i] = guid.Data4[i+2]; } meaning access the elements with array syntax? Finally, I'm completely lost on how to write a f...

can i automatically insert the filepath on a word doc?
I seem to remember getting handouts from people that had their fielpath printed on them. Is this possible in Word 2007? Yes. http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak/blog/index.php/247/word-2007-diy-insert-a-footer-with-file-name-path-in-two-clicks.html -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "OlgaBennett" <OlgaBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47B842B2-76A8-428A-A86A-C020B204EC94@microsoft.com... >I seem to remember getting handouts from people that had their fielpa...

March 11th Windows Update and VBA (dis)functionality in Access
Folks, I've programmed an AccessXP database that makes extensive use of VBA module code called via Macro in response to form object events. Since yesterday's Office Security updates (multiple), a particular module function called via macro has begun to throw Microsoft Visual Basic Run-time error 2427 - You entered an expression that has no value. On debug, it jumps to the second in a series of about 6 If/Else statement in which the [Object].Value is tested for content. The first appears to work correctly, but commenting out the following 5 items one at a time causes the func...

Inserting Rows
Hi All, I have created a table with Columns A-M. Columns F K L and M have formulas in them I am trying to insert some additional ROWS, but keep getting an error message stating that to protect the loss of data, Exel will not permit this function. This happens if I attempt to insert a row in a row that is blank or in a row with content. What am I doing wrong ? Hi It sounds like Excel has lost track of your used data area. Have a look here for info on how to reset it: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Andy. "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Display cell formula by function
Hi. Is there a way to perform a function which display the formula of the target cell (NOT the value of the cell)? {Fictitious function} ShowFormula(TargetCell) Eg: A1 = sum(3, 4) A2 = ShowFormula(A1) Answer of A2: sum(3, 4) -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP You could copy the equation to the cell and then put " in front of it (short term) "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:%23OeHX84sFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi. > Is there a way to perform a function which display the formula of the >...

can't use print area function Excel 2002
Hi, I have a table document that has [group] beside the name. I did not put that there when I saved it. It will not let me set or clear the print area, which is greyed out. And in page break view, I set the document to 5 pages and I do the same in "page setup," and it consistently shows that there are 72 pages in the document. "Troubleshooting printing" has nothing about this problem. Help! thanks, Bonnie Right click on one of the tabs for the file and select Ungroup "Bonnie" <bshepard@hsph.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:027301c381ea$b...

Script to insert Row
How would I write a scrtip to insert a row under the number in A that holds a "NS" or "MT"? I would also like it to copy the row that has "NS" or "MT" in it and paste it in the row that was inserted underneith. When it copies the row it will copy the whole row except what is in A. Example Before A B 1 MT 12 2 D 14 3 x 15 Example After 1 2 1 MT 12 2 12 3 D 14 4 X 15 Thanks Sub CopyInsert() 'Find the last cell in column A ...

Function names from addins stored in XL files
I am fighting with names of functions stored in addins. In xls and xlsx files in most cases the name of the addin file (xla or xlax) is not displayed if the addin is installed. Saving as .xml files allows one to see the full names of the addins. I have seen cases where the usual name is used similar to 'C:\Program files\the addin dir\theaddin'!theaddin.xla but in some other cases the 8+3 version of the directory is used 'C:\PROGRA~1\the addin dir\theaddin'!theaddin.xla It is really that strange, the initial part of the directory is the short version, but for the subdirectories ...

Insert and Copy Data to new Workbook Row
I need to insert a new row into a workbook where a character in Column "A" = "D" and then copy the row which is two rows above into the new inserted row. I can insert the row ok with the following code; Sub Add_Rows() Dim lastrow As Long, i As Long lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row For i = lastrow To 2 Step -1 If Cells(i, 1) = "D" Then Rows(i).Insert End If Next End Sub but what I can't do is copy the cells in 2 rows above this newly inserted row? .. I have been searching and reading n...