Initial WorkBook Name

Normally, when Excel starts, the first workbook is
named "Book1".  If you run a second instance of Excel, you
get "Book2" and so on.  If you stop the first instance and
start a new one, you get "Book1" again.

We have a situation where when Excel starts, and there are
no other instances running based upon Task Manager, we get
things such as Book61, Book4, Book?.

How is this initial value determined?  Is there
something "left" behind from other instances of Excel that
could be causing it?  Eventually, the system just goes
plain crazy and we have to reboot.

Thanks,
Joe
0
joe.duke (2)

Hi Joe!

When you ask Excel to open a new workbook it opens Book + the first
available number.

It sounds like someone is saving the Book1 etc under the same name in
the default file saving location.

Use Tools > Options > General
Note down the "Default File location"
OK

In Explorer, take a look in that default file location and check out
those Book named xls files.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"Joe" <joe.duke@sungard.com> wrote in message
> Normally, when Excel starts, the first workbook is
> named "Book1".  If you run a second instance of Excel, you
> get "Book2" and so on.  If you stop the first instance and
> start a new one, you get "Book1" again.
>
> We have a situation where when Excel starts, and there are
> no other instances running based upon Task Manager, we get
> things such as Book61, Book4, Book?.
>
> How is this initial value determined?  Is there
> something "left" behind from other instances of Excel that
> could be causing it?  Eventually, the system just goes
> plain crazy and we have to reboot.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

0
njharker (1646)
3/5/2004 8:29:09 PM
Hi Norman,
Thanks for the information, however, it was a bust.  There
are no files in the folder specified.

I was thinking that maybe there was some DLL loaded that
got left behind that perhaps was the keeper of this
information.

Joe

and Arguments)
>available free to good homes.
>"Joe" <joe.duke@sungard.com> wrote in message
>> Normally, when Excel starts, the first workbook is
>> named "Book1".  If you run a second instance of Excel,
you
>> get "Book2" and so on.  If you stop the first instance
and
>> start a new one, you get "Book1" again.
>>
>> We have a situation where when Excel starts, and there
are
>> no other instances running based upon Task Manager, we
get
>> things such as Book61, Book4, Book?.
>>
>> How is this initial value determined?  Is there
>> something "left" behind from other instances of Excel
that
>> could be causing it?  Eventually, the system just goes
>> plain crazy and we have to reboot.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>

>.

0
joe.duke (2)
3/5/2004 10:49:42 PM
I've never seen this, but there have been a few posts that describe the same
problem.

If I recall correctly, the problem came on suddenly.  And then disappeared just
as suddenly (for at least one poster).

Maybe you'll get lucky, too.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Have you tried a search for book*.*

--
> Hi Norman,
> Thanks for the information, however, it was a bust.  There
> are no files in the folder specified.
>
> I was thinking that maybe there was some DLL loaded that
> got left behind that perhaps was the keeper of this
> information.
>
> Joe

0
njharker (1646)