Indirect function help

Please help - I followed the directions at the site below to set up data
validation where the second list is based on the selection of the first list.
 The first list works fine but the second list doens't have anything in the
dropdown, even though there are items on the list.  The name box for the
dependent list matches one of the items on the first list.  For the dependent
list, the data validation is set to List with the Source as =INDIRECT(A2).  I
set all of column A with data validation for the 1st list and all of column B
for the second list.  What other information do you need to help me figure
out where I went wrong?

Thank you,
Jim

Hmm...
First, I'd make sure there aren't any extra spaces anywhere causing an
error.

Second, I'd goto Insert - Name - Define, and then click on the named ranges,
first the independent, and then the dependent (whatever is listed in A2)
Make sure they are referring to the correct things. You might also check to
make sure your have absolut reference (the little $ symbol) in the correct
spots.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help - I followed the directions at the site below to set up data
> validation where the second list is based on the selection of the first
> list.
> The first list works fine but the second list doens't have anything in the
> dropdown, even though there are items on the list.  The name box for the
> dependent list matches one of the items on the first list.  For the
> dependent
> list, the data validation is set to List with the Source as =INDIRECT(A2).
> set all of column A with data validation for the 1st list and all of
> column B
> for the second list.  What other information do you need to help me figure
> out where I went wrong?
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
>
> Thank you,
> Jim

0
Luke
5/13/2010 4:28:25 PM
I got this to work by just setting up row 2 and then dragging it down...

"Jim" wrote:

> Please help - I followed the directions at the site below to set up data
> validation where the second list is based on the selection of the first list.
>  The first list works fine but the second list doens't have anything in the
> dropdown, even though there are items on the list.  The name box for the
> dependent list matches one of the items on the first list.  For the dependent
> list, the data validation is set to List with the Source as =INDIRECT(A2).  I
> set all of column A with data validation for the 1st list and all of column B
> for the second list.  What other information do you need to help me figure
> out where I went wrong?
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
>
> Thank you,
> Jim

Help on external process invokation in VC++
Hi, I have an existing VB program that invokes an external VC++ program using Shell command. The VC++ program uses ParseCommandLine() and ProcessShellCommand() MFC APIs to execute the request from VB. Now I need to go the other way, i.e. have a VC++ program to invoke an external VB program with command line arguments. Could any one please tell me what's the API in VC++ to invoke an exernal program and what's the APIs in VB to parse the command line arguments and execute the command? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chaw-Chi Yu On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:53:36 -0800, Chaw...

creating excel docs on web server
i need to create complex excel docs for download by users. on MS site however it is recommended against excel/office on server environments. http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q257/7/57.asp fine, but then what is the way out? TIA ...

help date and sum
maybe somebody can help me with my problem; im new in this field S O R R Y _________________________________________________________________________________ code___/__Description____________/___OrderQty_/__OrderIssue/ __Date_______/__OrdNo___ 0001 Pen Blue 05 05 09-10-2007 01 0002 Pen Black 03 03 10-10-2007 02 0001 Pen Blue 07 07 10-10-2007 02 0003 Pen Red 02 02 10-12-2007 03 ANSWER WILL BE LIKE THIS ...

PLEASE HELP #2
Can someone please tell me why my images in my publishers files are not showing? It is showing a X in the image box instead of the image. Please help. Please reply to my email address zidnasz@adelphia.net Thank You On the toolbar, view, pictures, tick detailed display -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sandi" <zidnasz@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:022701c3d17b$7cb9f490$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone please tell me why my images in my publishers > files are n...

Help with microsoft access template
Hi I have downloaded the free access 2003 classroom management database from the templates area of the Microsoft office site. But I have a problem, how to I add classes and assignments to students I am assuming that each student can have different classes in the database. I am assuming it requires data being added in either a form or table in the database. I am sorry for what will be a simple question but as you can guess I am somewhat challenged when it comes to databases. Best Regards John "John Luc" <websolutions@NOSPAMclara.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23BInJxFfHHA....

POP Table Help
Hello, Great Plains 8.0 on SQL2000 with POP module. I'm trying to run a report to show what purchase orders were issued last month and how much they were for at the line item detail. I can find POP10100 and POP10110. However, it seems the 'QTYORDER' field is really the quantity remaining, not the quantity originally ordered. Also, the unit cost values drop to 0 once the item is received. How can I find a list of the purchase orders issued without regard to whether or not they've been received? -Trevor So, from the silence can I assume this is not possible? Or, ...

I'm stumped, Please Help!
Setup: FES: Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 BES: 2 Node A/P Cluster Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 Problem: Outgoing mail is successfully sent from the BES to the FES and out to the internet. But incoming mail gets to the FES and gets stuck there in the BES SMTP queue. The FES knows the mail should be routed to the BES but it looks like it can't send it. ESM on the FES: The Queue information for the BES SMTP virtual server says "Destination server does not exist". ESM on the BES can't retrieve queue information on the FES SMTP virtual s...

Trying to get CDO to Work
Trying to use CDO to send mail from a classic ASP page running on Win Small Business Server 2008 (with IIS 7.0 and Exchange 2007 on the same box). I get the following error 006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~8002801d from the following code set oMail = server.createobject("CDO.Message") if err <> 0 then response.write err.number & " - " & err.description response.end end if The script is running under the IUSR_Machine account (determined by printing request.servervariables("LOGON_USER") and gtting back a blank). I ca...

Blank Out Function Totals
I have the following function in cell E7 in a spreadsheet: =D7-C7 Now, if there is no data in D7 and C7, then 00:00 appears in cell E7 as it has no data to work against. What I want to do is to blank out the cells with functions in them so that they appear empty, unless initial data is entered. So in the above case, I don't want anything to appear in cell E7 until cells D7 and C7 have been populated. Any ideas? Tools>Options>View, uncheck Zero values -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Neil Greenough" <scrivomc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:mFiif.82137$...

why doesn't countif function?
I typed: =countif(AND(C:C="BSM11",D:D>0,2)) why I keep getting messages like, you have not entered sufficient items or error in formula? THanks >I typed: > =countif(AND(C:C="BSM11",D:D>0,2)) > why I keep getting messages like, you have not entered sufficient > items or error in formula? COUNTIF is looking for two arguments... AND returns a single value... a Boolean (either TRUE or FALSE). Since you have two different conditions to meet, try using two COUNTIF functions (one for each condition) and add them together. Rick =SUMPRODUCT((C1:C100=&qu...

mutiple regression help
When doing a multiple regression in excel, what are the meaning of thes out puts (that's are all in the same table) the fist column has my dependent variable which is labeled her "Intercept" and the independent variables, X2, X3, X4, X5 the second columns labeled "Coefficients" i think this column has th slope values of each independent variable; X2, X3, X4, and X5. Thes slope variables are in relation to all the other variables, so th slope of X2 is effected by by X3, X4 and X5. These slope values are th measure of how each independent variable effects the depen...

How to call Web service function using MFC
Hi to all http://localhost/cadpublisher/Publisher.asmx is the web service http://localhost/cadpublisher/Publisher.asmx?op=Publish is the Publish function. I want to call a web service function Publish( CString szcadfile, CString sz3Dfile). I dont want to use soap sdk. Does any one help me to solve the problem? Thanks in advance Vaibhav ...

Reference function from an out of sort table
I'm looking for a reference function to pull the result from an out of sort table (see table example below). The result should always come from the reference value LT A14. The table is always a whole number 0,1000,2000,3000, etc. I've tried the following functions, but they all require data in ascending order and/or exact match of the value in A14. =VLOOKUP($A$14,A$2:B$10,TRUE) =INDEX(A$2:B$10,MATCH($A$14,A$2:A$10,1),2) =LOOKUP($A$14,A$2:A$10,B$2:B$10) Table example: A B 2 1000 0.525 3 6000 0.946 4 3000 0.675 5 0 0.457 6 4000 0.746 7 2000 0.606 8 8000 1.29 9...

HELP
Previously using outlook with network as workgroup. Went to main office and joined domain.. got new persona. How do I import my mail from the other persona? I exported to a .pst and logged into the domain, I tried to import but it says I do not have permission to import. Any ideas? Make sure the PST file is located on a drive where you have read/write/modify/exclusive access rights. "Mike Gregg" <mgregg@emamarketing.com> wrote in message news:efmVNaWGHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Previously using outlook with network as workgroup. > > Went to main off...

help #32
Unable to update free/busy data. ...

Active Directory Help
Hi, Guys i deployed domain controller in an environment of approx 300 pcs, when i start to join users in domain. i come across some errors, which are as follows: 1) some times when joining domain, the error "the domain controller does not exist or could not be contacted" comes and pc is unable to join domain. 2) after joining domain, when i try to change the user password, then the user hangs and password changes after taking a lot of time. usually 15 to 20 minutes. The computer is taking all the policies i applied in default domain policy. Kindly give me suggesti...

Function to access custom fields in Properties
Is there a function that can retrieve the value of any particular custom field in the file's Properties? Word has this but I can't find it in Excel. Hall Copy/paste this User Defined Function to a module in your workbook. Function DocProps(prop As String) Application.Volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties _ (prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function =DOCPROPS("last author") or =DOCPROPS("last save time") Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:59:56 ...

Help with OleLoadPicture
After my call to HRESULT hr = OleLoadPicture(pstm, 0, FALSE, IID_IPicture, (void**)&m_spIPicture) hr = -2146827807 and m_splPicture = 0x00000000 pstm is a IStream* m_spPicture = IID_IPicture I am trying to load a oleobject from an access database into a CByteArray and then load it into an IStream object and then passing it to OleLoadPicture. If I load the picture in as a file and then serialize it to a stream it works. Any clues as to what I should be looking for? William, > HRESULT hr = OleLoadPicture(pstm, 0, FALSE, IID_IPicture, > (void**)&m_spIPicture) > hr = -21...

In need of instant help
I was writing in a word document that I had saved in a USB memory. Suddenly it crashed and the document weren't to be found on the USB memory.I found a emergency saved notepad.txt.file copy on my harddrive. I tried to read it, but I could just read some parts of the text. I tried to read it in notepad, wordpad and in words. It looks like this "?????????????????????????????oh, la, la????????????????????????????????? this things just happens to me????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????...

Some help, please with code
Would someone please help me turn the following psuedo code into visual basic? It involves two tables. One table will be imported and named by the person using the form. The other table is named Tableappend and it has a query attached to it to do its thing. The involved fields on the table, that will be used during this code's runtime are: Random.postedamount Random.reportname Random.sapcompanycode The code shoudl do two passes, each loop looking for a specific set of information. in order to build tableappend with the proper records. The user imports a spreadsheet from excel, and...

Need help with a formula 02-10-10
Here is my problem. I have to enter apt # on a spreadsheet for tracking material used. The problem is I am always finding duplicates. What I would like to be able to do is this. Enter the unit number ain a single cell. That will then move to a specific row in numeric order. If i enter a number that already been entered it will flag me. Does this make sense. Dear Ron, Is it should be highlited if you enter a Apt #, which is alredy entered? Then Conditional Format ("Format only unique or Duplicate values" in Excel 2007) may help you. Thanks & Regards "...

Help with a formula (Multiple lines to sum and return if)
Hello, Thank you in advance for the help. One sheet one I would like to return the sum of data from sheet two if the salesperson name matches. Here are the details: Sheet 1 In column A I have the names of sales people (listed by row) - header is "Name" In column B I have cells available to total the sales people numbers by month Sheet 2 In column A, the sales people are listed many times In column B, lists the Account name (not important for this help) In column C, is the total sold to that customer Now in the B column, I would like to match the name of the ...

Function is not availalbe in expressions in query expression error message (0/1)
I recently received this error message when opening the source DB in Access 2007. I have attached two jpg pics. Does this error message give enough details for someone to point me in the right direction for a fix? The last time I developed and worked in this DB everything worked fine. I get this error when clicking on a control that runs a query macro against a backend DB consisting of about 15 tables. I should mention the error comes into play when trying to run the frontend on a client W/S. I don't see the error while on my W/S which is my developer W/S and has Acce...

Help with hyperlink
Hi, Someone else posted a topic a while ago that is similiar to something I would like to do - but not quite! (Topic is now close by a moderator as it was in 2004). The original post was - " Is it there a formula, that if you click on a Cell, you automatically go to another Cell in that worksheet? (without using a macro?) And the reply suggested using - =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet t...

Chemistry data analysis and bar chart- LEGEND help
May i have your patience in exactly understanding what i wish to do with my excel barchart. I have barcharts (standard type) which is stacked column and hence compares the contribution of each value to a total across categories. I have several treatment samples,and thereby, i make four bar charts aligned together with an overlap 100 and gap width 0. This type of 4 more in the same graph. Hence in a total 16 bars in one graph (4x4 =16). However, further to complicate i need to change the pattern to show them as different different treatment samples. Hence i used "Format datapoint" to...