In cell drop down button disappeared

I have a column with a data validation list.
My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
It has been working for a year with no problem.
Where did it go?
I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
good.
Any ideas?
Joe
Excel 2003

If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
dropdown still there (and checked)?

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a column with a data validation list.
> My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
> It has been working for a year with no problem.
> Where did it go?
> I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
> good.
> Any ideas?
> Joe
> Excel 2003

0
terre081 (3244)
2/24/2005 4:12:58 PM
Yes they are still there and checked.
joe

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
> dropdown still there (and checked)?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a column with a data validation list.
>> My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>> It has been working for a year with no problem.
>> Where did it go?
>> I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
>> good.
>> Any ideas?
>> Joe
>> Excel 2003

<Tools> <Options> <View> tab,

And under "Objects",

*CHECK* - "ShowAll"
--

HTH,

RD

Yes they are still there and checked.
joe

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
> dropdown still there (and checked)?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a column with a data validation list.
>> My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>> It has been working for a year with no problem.
>> Where did it go?
>> I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
>> good.
>> Any ideas?
>> Joe
>> Excel 2003

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/24/2005 4:41:50 PM
Show all is checked.
Still doesn't work.
Is it possible the box is there, but was somehow edited to a sliver in
width.
Can the size of the drop down be edited at all?
Joe

"RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> <Tools> <Options> <View> tab,
>
> And under "Objects",
>
> *CHECK* - "ShowAll"
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes they are still there and checked.
> joe
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
>> dropdown still there (and checked)?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>

>> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a column with a data validation list.
>>> My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>>> It has been working for a year with no problem.
>>> Where did it go?
>>> I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all
>>> looks
>>> good.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Joe
>>> Excel 2003

I created a new file and put in a data validation drop down, and it works,
so I think it is the file itself with the problem-not Excel's settings.
Joe

> Show all is checked.
> Still doesn't work.
> Is it possible the box is there, but was somehow edited to a sliver in
> width.
> Can the size of the drop down be edited at all?
> Joe
>
> "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
>> <Tools> <Options> <View> tab,
>>
>> And under "Objects",
>>
>> *CHECK* - "ShowAll"
>> --
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD
>> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
>>

>> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes they are still there and checked.
>> joe
>>
>> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
>>> dropdown still there (and checked)?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peo Sjoblom
>>>

>>> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You sure you looked at everything in Tools>Options?

How about Tools>Options>View>Objects "hide all"?

Checked or unchecked?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:10:24 -0500, "lunker55"
<this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a column with a data validation list.
>My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>It has been working for a year with no problem.
>Where did it go?
>I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
>good.
>Any ideas?
>Joe
>Excel 2003

0
Gord
2/24/2005 5:57:15 PM
Hide all is unchecked.
Show all is checked.
I think all my options are right because I opened a new file and I can get
it to work fine.

Joe

> You sure you looked at everything in Tools>Options?
>
> How about Tools>Options>View>Objects "hide all"?
>
> Checked or unchecked?
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:10:24 -0500, "lunker55"
> <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a column with a data validation list.
>>My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>>It has been working for a year with no problem.
>>Where did it go?
>>I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
>>good.
>>Any ideas?
>>Joe
>>Excel 2003

Appreciate the feed-back.
--

Regards,

RD

I created a new file and put in a data validation drop down, and it works,
so I think it is the file itself with the problem-not Excel's settings.
Joe

"lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Show all is checked.
> Still doesn't work.
> Is it possible the box is there, but was somehow edited to a sliver in
> width.
> Can the size of the drop down be edited at all?
> Joe
>
> "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
>> <Tools> <Options> <View> tab,
>>
>> And under "Objects",
>>
>> *CHECK* - "ShowAll"
>> --
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD
>> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
>>

>> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes they are still there and checked.
>> joe
>>
>> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> If you select the cell and do data>validation is allow list and in-cell
>>> dropdown still there (and checked)?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peo Sjoblom
>>>

>>> "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/24/2005 8:10:55 PM
Does anyone else have any ideas??
Joe

> Hide all is unchecked.
> Show all is checked.
> I think all my options are right because I opened a new file and I can get
> it to work fine.
>
> Joe
>
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> You sure you looked at everything in Tools>Options?
>>
>> How about Tools>Options>View>Objects "hide all"?
>>
>> Checked or unchecked?
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:10:24 -0500, "lunker55"
>> <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a column with a data validation list.
>>>My drop down arrow doesn't show up anymore when I select the cell.
>>>It has been working for a year with no problem.
>>>Where did it go?
>>>I looked in Tools-Options to see if anything was unchecked, but all looks
>>>good.
>>>Any ideas?
>>>Joe
>>>Excel 2003

There was a problem with xl97 and cells with data|validation that were above the
freeze panes row.

But I think the arrow still showed up--it just didn't work.  (any chance that
you have that configuration).

And as a workaround, can you remove the data|validation and add it back?  Maybe
it'll work there.

(or maybe just toggling that in-cell dropdown checkbox.  Turn it off, close up
the dialog and turn it back on--maybe????)

--

Dave Peterson
0

   http://groups.google.ca/groups?&threadm=40E2291B.E62A1A15@msn.com

Or it could be a corrupted worksheet.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/25/2005 5:29:57 PM
"Hi Joe - The workbook has corrupted, and the error repair facility
specifically lists Data Validation as having been lost.  What version Excel
do you have?"

Excel 2003

"File / Open - select workbook - on the 'open' button bottom right on the
dialog box you will see a dropdown arrow - click and choose 'open and
repair'"

Success!
Thanks so much Ken,
Joe

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Or maybe a macro was used to clear shapes on the worksheet?
>
>   http://groups.google.ca/groups?&threadm=40E2291B.E62A1A15@msn.com
>
> Or it could be a corrupted worksheet.
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
>> There was a problem with xl97 and cells with data|validation that were
>> above the
>> freeze panes row.
>>
>> But I think the arrow still showed up--it just didn't work.  (any chance
>> that
>> you have that configuration).
>>
>> And as a workaround, can you remove the data|validation and add it back?
>> Maybe
>> it'll work there.
>>
>> (or maybe just toggling that in-cell dropdown checkbox.  Turn it off,
>> close up
>> the dialog and turn it back on--maybe????)
>>
>> lunker55 wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone else have any ideas??
>>>Joe
>>>
>>>"lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Invalid cell reference
I am writing an Excel 2002 template, and wish to convert a large range of imported data. All of my formulae have been written in row A on a ‘Reformatted Data’ sheet. For example cell A1 contains =TEXT('Imported Data '!B3,"00"). The many formulae work successfully, but I need to delete the entire contents of the ‘Imported Data’ sheet. As a template it needs to be empty. Obviously the formulae in my example cell is now =TEXT('Imported Data '!#REF!,"00") because of the invalid cell reference. My question is, how do I retain the formulae in...

When saving add automatically contents of a specified cell in document properties
Hello, Looking for help on the following: When I save my worksheet, I would like the contents of a specified cel to be copied in the document properties. More specifically in the fiel 'key words' in the properties. I tried to create a macro but it does not record to copy text from cell in the field 'key words' in the document properties. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Nadi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Nadia You can try this Sub Fill_in_DocProperties() With ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties ..Item("Title") = ActiveW...

Alarm reminder disappears if set as recurring
I'm using Outlook 2003 w/BCM, just noticed that a VALENTINE'S DAY entry was made for 2/14/06, (X) All day event, recurring yearly, with a reminder of 3 days. Problem is... the REMINDER alarm doesn't work...doesn't appear in the reminders list or beep or anything. If I remove the "recurrence", THEN it works great, pops up on the reminders list. Wondered what could be the problem? Why is 'recurring' knocking it out. I've checked and re-checked everything I already make sure it says "Start: Tues 2/14/06" ...not some future year. Also tried delet...

separating data in cells
I have a very long excel spreadsheet with data like this in each cell: Alaska Native Medical Center 4315 Diplomacy Drive Anchorage,��AK��99508 Phone: (907) 563-2662 Medicare provider code: 020026 Number of beds: 140 Is there any way to break up this data into columns, such as "name, address, phone, etc etc? ����The purpose of this is to import all the information into an address book or act. Any help would be appreciated. ~Chris Chris, No help from here yet, but... Are the entire five lines that you posted in one cell? or Are the five lines in separate row...

Excel cell formatting
Sometimes a cell in a worksheet won't allow me to format. If I select "format cells" by right-clicking or from the "Format" menu nothing happens, even though I can edit the format of an adjacent cell. This happens in many different worksheets. Any ideas about why this happens? ...

fix cell contents before deleting column from which formula's are based
I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the calculated results and deleting the column from which the formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell contents) before but can't remember how and am obviously not wording my query correctly for the help function. Thanks. Erica Copy, paste special, values? then delete the column? >-----Original Message----- >I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the >calculated results and deleting the column from which the >formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell >cont...

Navigation Pane Buttons
I'm using 2003 SP3. When I click the Tasks button in the navigation pane, the display does not change. This is not an issue with the other buttons - Mail displays mail items OK etc. Anyone know the solution? Howard Try using the /resetnavpane command line switch as described here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012185891033.aspx "Howard" <man_o_law@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#hjQ2jyGKHA.4552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I'm using 2003 SP3. > > When I click the Tasks button in the navigation pane, the display does not > change. T...

Cell Comment--Not!
I just downloaded a spreadsheet that has something I've never seen before. When I select one of several possible cells, a yellow box with documentation about the cell pops up beneath the cell. Right-clicking on the box does nothing. The box is *not* a cell Comment (as in Insert Comment), for these reasons... ....It doesn't have a line connecting it to the cell. ....It doesn't have a little triangle in the top-right corner of the cell. ....Unlike a cell Comment, it automatically displays when the cell is selected and closes when another cell is selected. ....I **also** can assign ...

Insert acrobat capability has disappeared on MS Publisher
MS Publisher 2003. I used to be able to insert a pdf file as an object. This capability has vanished from the "insert object" menu. This may be because my original Publisher has had an automatic update from version 11.5525.5606 to V 11.8212.8221. I have removed and reinstalled Publisher but the version level remains the same and the capability is still not there. My machine also has Acrobat V7 installeed but this has not changed. Have you tried Office Diagnostics in the Help menu? Right-click a toolbar, click customize, Options tab, see if Resetting menu and toolbar usage data...

Can I set an audio alert that triggers as Excel cell value chgs?
I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes to a specific value? Can this be done? ....I'm not familiar with any audio alerts but, you can use conditional formatting to the cell's format change when it value changes. Go to Format...Conditional Formatting. You can then either set a value or use a formula and set the format (what it will look like when the cell is the value that you set). "SellUnHi" wrote: > I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes > to a specific value? Can this be done? L...

Outlook 2007: Deleted files are disappearing
I am using Outlook 2007. When I delete an e-mail it just disappears instead of showing up in the deleted files folder (personal folder) or trash folder (IMAP). I have checked for these files in my IMAP deleted files, IMAP trash and personal deleted files. Can anyone tell me where these files have gone? Thank you . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Do you press by chance the shift key when you delete a message? Or look whether there's a filter set for the Deleted Items folder. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook : Outlook Categories? Categ...

E-mail is delivered, then disappears, then reappears 2 minutes later
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Very odd issue. I am using Entourage Web Services Edition 13.0.3 (091002) and connecting to an Exchanges server 2007 at work. I have several folder created and rules written to deliver the mail into specific folders. <br><br>When mail arrives I get the notification, then I see the new e-mail, open the new e-mail, mid way through reading the new e-mail it will disappear. I try to refresh, nothing happens. I send and receive, nothing happens. About 2 minutes later the e-mail rea...

Button still highlighted after losing focus
I have a dialog box which has a combobox and two buttons. When i click on the button the MessageMap function for the button gets invoked which sets the focus to the combobox. Even though the focus gets set to the combo box the button which was clicked is highlighted (dark rectangle, BS_PUSHBUTTON property). Can anyone explain how i can overcome this problem. "chandan" <chandanlinux@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8ea735ac.0410080408.1a64ba4b@posting.google.com... > I have a dialog box which has a combobox and two buttons. When i click > on the button the MessageMap fu...

Converting a Cell Value to Cell Reference...
Here's the deal: I've set up a MAX formula that displays resultant value, and I need to figure out how to "tell" a particular function what cell that value is located in. I am working with the OFFSET function, and I need a cell reference as the first parameter, and all that I can provide right now is the value for a MAX from a chosen range. Any advice is greatly appreciated. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** I suppose what I'm asking is... Is there ...

Validation Boxes and dependant cells
Here is the problem... I have a list on sheet 2: THis is not the complete list, the actual i 400 names long. the range is called "Names" A B Derek | 575 Bob | 500 Jonny| 200 Doug | 300 On sheet 1 i have a validation box in row A that applies to the rang of "names" in sheet two I would like to have the number that coresponds with the name come u in cell B when the validation box is filled in A. Thanks, Dere -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi use can use VLOOKUP for this in cell B on sheet 1 type =VLOOKUP(A1,Names,2,0) where A1 ...

Splitting cells in Excel 2007
Hello Microsoft, I've spent about an hour on various Internet sites and discussing this in forums. Many seem to know it's not possible, but nobody has told me why it's not possible. The question has been asked as far back as 1999, from what I've been seeing. How does one split a single cell either vertically or horizontally? I don't mean the data within the cell, but the cell itself. Many "solutions" seem to use techniques of adding new rows or columns and doing some creative merges to all the cells affected. The spreadsheet I want to change...

Login dialog box has disappeared in IE8
I've have been using IE8 under WinXP SP3 with no problems until just recently. Now, when I go to the Fidelity.com site which contains all of my investment stuff, I cannot log in because that dialog box has disappeared. Everything else on the page is normal, all the other dialog boxes are there, but the box under "LOG IN -- Customer ID" has vanished; there's the space for it but it's just blank grey with no box. There's a "Log in" title on the upper right of the page that can be clicked on, but that does nothing. When I called Fidelity about th...

Sync two drop down lists
Hi, could somebody please help me out with this problem. Let's say that I have two sheets and an identical drop box list on both of these sheets. That is, both drop boxes give the user the same/ identical choices of selectable alternatives. I want these boxes to be in sync: if the user selects "apples" on one sheet... the drop box on the other sheet should automatically change to "apples" as well. As the user may initialize the change on any of the two sheets, the sync needs to work both ways (always updating according to the latest change). Can this be done using lis...

How do you change the data type of a cell using VBA?
For instance, with VBA I am trying to place "February 2007" in a cell but it keeps showing up as Feb-07. I want it to show up as literal text. -- justme0010 Sub text_it() Range("A1").Value = Chr(39) & "February 2007" End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007c You could keep the value a date and just format the cell the way you like: with activecell .numberformat = "mmmm yyyy" .value = dateserial(2007,2,1) end with You could also format the cell as text first: with activecell .numberformat = "@" 'text .value...

how do i add a list to the existing drop down list?
Please inform me by replying to my email address. thanks. Asked here.........answered here. Simply add items to the current list then re-define the range in Insert>Name>Define. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:23:37 -0700, Lorelie <Lorelie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Please inform me by replying to my email address. thanks. ...

Displaying data based on Drop Down List Selection
Hello, hope someone can help. I have a list of records in Excel which are attributed to teams in my organisation. Say its a list of staff. What I need is to be able to send the file out so that a user can select from a drop down menu the team name and the list displays all the staff in that team. I know that they could just use a filter for this themselves but these these users are not even comfortable doing that!! I need to make is simple so wanted a big obvious drop down list with the teams in, they select it and see all the relevant records. Has anybody got any ideas? Would be ver...

Supressing a cell when printing
I have a range of cells that contain text. My question is how do I display the text on the spreadsheet but supress it when printing. You could use a macro that hides the particular rows/columns in a before print macro and then unhide them again Rows("3:3").EntireRow.Hidden = True ..PrintOut Copies:=1 Rows("3:3").EntireRow.Hidden = False the above will hide row number 3, print then unhide.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "slac65" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006501c3dc69$25fab510$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a range o...

Making a set value appear in a cell
Hi, I'm new to excel, I apologize if this question is too basic. I work for an accountant, and I have to enter an account purpose and the account number for that purpose in a cell right next to it. Is there any way to enter the purpose and make the set value of the account number appear next to it automatically? For example if I enter ABC for purpose, can I make a (fake) account number of 50-5025-02 appear next to it automatically? And the same goes for other purposes and their respective account numbers. You can do this using a VLOOKUP formula. First you would need to set up a...

how to add drop down menus
Check out Validation in XL Help In article <147c01c389bf$b18247d0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "razza" <sal.razza@jpmorgan.com> wrote: ...

How can I assign a data for one cell from another fixed cell?
I can assign data to one cell by put formular, for example: =H5. But if I add a row, my cell will get data from H6, Excel automatically modified my formular to: =H6 And now I want the data always come from =H5, no matter how many rows I add on top of it. PLease help me. I remember somebody did it, but I forget it. Thank you very much! If I understand your question correctly, you would use absolute references ($ signs to fix the row, column or both)... =$H$5 Rick "new Excel user" <new Excel user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCAE5E50-1EAF-4ADA-9F24...