Importing Text File #3

Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to
replicate?

I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later, when
I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and
would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
were retained.

I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
functionality.

Can someone help?

Thanks
0
Bean123r (9)

Bean,

It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads in
the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like
> replicate?
>
> I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
> when
> I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
> and
> would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
> were retained.
>
> I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
> functionality.
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks

0
someone798 (944)
7/20/2005 7:37:15 PM
I finally figured it out.  I used Data - Import External Data - Import Data &
went through all the typical wizard replies.  The key seems to be that after
I clicked "Finish" and was prompted to input where I wanted the data imported
to on the worksheet...Before clicking "ok", I clicked on "Properties" then
clicked "OK".  It doesn't seem to matter if I've made any changes to the
properties or not. I'm not sure why, but Abracadabra, now I can use "Refresh"
to update the import my data.

Thanks for your response.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> Bean,
>
> It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
> paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads in
> the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
>
> "Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like
> > replicate?
> >
> > I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
> > when
> > I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
> > and
> > would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
> > were retained.
> >
> > I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
> > functionality.
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Bean123r (9)
7/20/2005 7:55:03 PM
Bean,

Good.  When I said "Get external data," I should have said "Import external
data."  I think it's Access that has get.  Anyway, you got it.  It has lots
of options -- just right-click the data range, select "Properties, " and
look at and change all kinds of stuff.
--

>I finally figured it out.  I used Data - Import External Data - Import Data
>&
> went through all the typical wizard replies.  The key seems to be that
> after
> I clicked "Finish" and was prompted to input where I wanted the data
> imported
> to on the worksheet...Before clicking "ok", I clicked on "Properties" then
> clicked "OK".  It doesn't seem to matter if I've made any changes to the
> properties or not. I'm not sure why, but Abracadabra, now I can use
> "Refresh"
> to update the import my data.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> Bean,
>>
>> It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
>> paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads
>> in
>> the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>>
>> "Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would
>> > like
>> > replicate?
>> >
>> > I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
>> > when
>> > I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
>> > and
>> > would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import
>> > specs
>> > were retained.
>> >
>> > I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
>> > functionality.
>> >
>> > Can someone help?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
someone798 (944)

isv.config file
We have altered the isv.config file to show additional tabs and buttons in the CRM forms. These tabs and buttons show and work fine in the web client but are not available to the sales for outlook client. They do not show in Outlook. Should this customisation show in the sales for outlook client? Thanks, Brett if you look in your _resources directory under wwwroot on the crm web server you will see a file called OutlookClient_sample.xml you use this file for the outlook client config file. so you duplicate anything in isv.config to this file and call it i think OutlookClient.config -- ...

Highlighting Texts
can you highlight text in publisher the way you can in word Hi tom (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || can you highlight text in publisher the way you can in || word No Tom, you cannot. The work around involves creating a small rectangle, filling the rectangle with the desired highlight color and place behind the text. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. >-----Original Message----- >Hi tom (anonymous@disc...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file on computer?
[url=http://www.backup-iphone-sms.com/how-to-copy-iphone-sms-to-txt-file.html][b]How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file with iPhone SMS Backup software on computer?[/b][/url]What is .txt file: .txt is a filename extension for files consisting of text usually contain very little formatting (ex: no bolding or italics). Files with the .txt extension can easily be read or opened by any program that reads text and, for that reason, are considered universal (or platform independent).With Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS, you can [b]backup iPhone SMS to PC as a txt[/b] file and keep them safe. [b]Guide of how ...

Renaming Files
I have a great number of files labeled with a first name followed by a last name and a date. I need to switch the file names and save them as Last Name First Name followed by the date? Any suggestion on how to do this? Is there a character which separates the names, like space or underscore? Maybe.... If your file names are 3 parts each separated by a space: John Smith 12022005.xls Something like this might work: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wkbk As Workbook Dim myFileNames As Variant Dim NewFileName As String Dim iCtr As Long Dim lCtr As Long Dim myName A...

Deleting characters in text fields
I have a table of data where the quantity is stored as a text value. Before I convert it to a number value I need to delete some of the characters. Most of the values appear like this: 25.000- but some appear as 5- with no decimal points. Is there a way to to strip out all characters to the left of the decimal point so that 25.000- ends up as 25? Or is there a way just to strip out the " - " character to get 25.000? Thanks, Sean Sean, You can strip out the "-" by using the Replace command: Replace("25.000-", "-", "") Taking every...

Outlook reminders #3
I have a client who is still recieving outlook reminders from several weeks ago, also, when opening outlook it opens every reminder she setup. Another users reminders are not working according to schedules he has setup, reminders are popping up late. I ran the command outlook /cleanreminders but this did not resolve these issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated. ...

importing statements #2
I'm getting an error when trying to import my bank statement. It reads "A transaction in the QIF file has a date that could not be resolved and therefore was not recorded into your Money file. Check your Regional Settings in the Windows Control Panel to make sure they match the date format of the QIF file, and then try importing the file again." Please help! Thanks ...

sent items #3
when i click on my sent items all emails appear to be sent to myself instead of the recipent. please help ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

RE: Check out this important package from M$
--ymlnvvfgmuljc Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dojsubxijhqfgbi"; type="multipart/alternative" --dojsubxijhqfgbi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="baxgpvgkfadysvrwp" --baxgpvgkfadysvrwp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help protect your computer from thes...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

no text on subform when there are no child records
Your help is appreciated. I'm relatively new to Access with no VBA training. My form calls GrantID and Grant# from tblGrant. The subform shows current records from a query of tblQuestion and tblQuestionDescription (tblGrant has a 1-to-many relationship with tblQuestion). When I created the subform, I chose to have the subform fields related to GrantID. The challenge...if a Grant# doesn't currently have any related records on tblQuestion, the labels and fields on the subform do not show - the subform is blank. I want the user to be able to add records to the subform that populate tblQ...

Text Overflow into Different Row
Excel allow text to overflow into an adjacent cell as long as it is empty and it is in the same row. How can I make it overflow if it si in a different row? Thank you ...

Time #3
I hope this is an easy question, even though I can't figure it out. :-) If I have time in the format of: 24:13:03 HH:MM:SS and I need it in minutes only. How can I convert that? I have Excel 2003. Hi see you post in Excel.worksheet.functions -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Here@There.com wrote: > I hope this is an easy question, even though I can't figure it out. > :-) > > If I have time in the format of: > > 24:13:03 HH:MM:SS > > and I need it in minutes only. > > How can I convert that? I have Excel 2003. Custom format [m...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

Theme Files
I am attempting to make a theme file that will work on any computer that I want it to. So far I have made it work on my computer. When opened on other computers it only does some of what I want it to do. Anything anyone could suggest would be great. Themes are not part of Access, they are part of Windows. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Nathan Ri...

Outlook Express creates a File on my desktop
ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my desktop named "~". it has done this since new, and ive seen it on one other computer as well. is there a way to stop this from happening?? cause deleting the file everytime is getting tiresome...if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. ty Shawn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but > when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my > desktop named "~". ...

How to format number with mixed number and text?
I put the following formula into a cell: =6.65+0.15&" lb". It did what I intended, namely: add the numbers and display the result with the tag, i.e. "6.8 lb". However, the Number format seems to have no effect on the displayed result. For example, if Decimal Places is 2, the above result is still "6.8 lb", not "6.80 lb". I get more decimal places only if they are "needed". For example, =6.65+0.1511&" lb" displays 4 decimal places, even if the Number format is 2 decimal places. How can I control the format of the numeric ...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

OWA running on 3 Exchange servers... not redirecting externally
Sorry for the vague subject. Here is what I have going on. I have three Exchange 2000/2003 servers, we'll see ServerA, ServerB, and ServerC. ServerA is located at the main branch and all incoming mail is received here. ServerB and ServerC are branch offices connected via a s2s vpn. My issue is when access OWA externally... I use our FQDN, http://mail.fqdn.com. Well, if the destination mailbox resides on ServerB or ServerC... ServerA attemps to redirect using internal DNS names (ie. http://serverb.domain.local). How can I configure OWA so that it will properly redirect externally? I ...

Deleting Files
Was treasurer for an organization; term has ended; want to delete that file entirely; can find no way to do it. I would appreciate any help in that area. TY -- HerbFry Go find the file and delete it. I'm probably missing something here like what "can find no way to do it" means. How do you delete Word files? Excel files? Notepad files? "HerbFry" <HerbFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A841D96-66F5-4734-84A8-F5634FC09272@microsoft.com... > Was treasurer for an organization; term has ended; want to delete that > file > entirely...

Database File Size
Hello All, A quick question regarding the Database size: We had an old Access database file protected by Security Wizard, We created a new database file and import everything from the old file, however the size is not exactly the same, the new database file is way smaller than the old one. Does that mean any data lost in the import process? Or is there any other reason such as we used the Security Wizard on the old one not the new one so that overhead was added...anyone could explain this? Also is there a way to compare the two database file to see if they are the same or not? Thanks a lot!...

can't save files in subfolders using Word #2
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor In article <1163740041.258317.226140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, taylorgriffin@gmail.com wrote: > I'm sure this is something obvious I'...

using find and replace it's making me look in another file to upd
I have used the find and replace function several times in the spreadsheet to update the fromulas monthly. For some reason when I use it this month it wants me to look in another file to "update values"? There is not another file and there is no way for me to use the find and replace. ...