Importing Text File #3

Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to
replicate?

I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later, when
I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and
would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
were retained.

I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
functionality.

Can someone help?

Thanks
0
Bean123r (9)

Bean,

It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads in
the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like
> replicate?
>
> I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
> when
> I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
> and
> would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
> were retained.
>
> I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
> functionality.
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks

0
someone798 (944)
7/20/2005 7:37:15 PM
I finally figured it out.  I used Data - Import External Data - Import Data &
went through all the typical wizard replies.  The key seems to be that after
I clicked "Finish" and was prompted to input where I wanted the data imported
to on the worksheet...Before clicking "ok", I clicked on "Properties" then
clicked "OK".  It doesn't seem to matter if I've made any changes to the
properties or not. I'm not sure why, but Abracadabra, now I can use "Refresh"
to update the import my data.

Thanks for your response.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> Bean,
>
> It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
> paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads in
> the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
>
> "Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like
> > replicate?
> >
> > I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
> > when
> > I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
> > and
> > would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import specs
> > were retained.
> >
> > I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
> > functionality.
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Bean123r (9)
7/20/2005 7:55:03 PM
Bean,

Good.  When I said "Get external data," I should have said "Import external
data."  I think it's Access that has get.  Anyway, you got it.  It has lots
of options -- just right-click the data range, select "Properties, " and
look at and change all kinds of stuff.
--

>I finally figured it out.  I used Data - Import External Data - Import Data
>&
> went through all the typical wizard replies.  The key seems to be that
> after
> I clicked "Finish" and was prompted to input where I wanted the data
> imported
> to on the worksheet...Before clicking "ok", I clicked on "Properties" then
> clicked "OK".  It doesn't seem to matter if I've made any changes to the
> properties or not. I'm not sure why, but Abracadabra, now I can use
> "Refresh"
> to update the import my data.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> Bean,
>>
>> It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data.  It remembers all the
>> paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, and it reads
>> in
>> the data again.  Quite indistinguishable from magic.
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>>
>> "Bean123r" <Bean123r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would
>> > like
>> > replicate?
>> >
>> > I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data.  Later,
>> > when
>> > I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated
>> > and
>> > would auto import when I clicked.  The best part is that the import
>> > specs
>> > were retained.
>> >
>> > I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the
>> > functionality.
>> >
>> > Can someone help?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
someone798 (944)

RMS v1.2 and v1.3
I am operating on Headquarters v1.2 and Store Operations v1.3 however when I upload items the information does not transfer. Do both need to be the same version? Headquarters and Store Operations always have to be the same version for the uploads/downloads to work. -- Regards Michael (Brisbane, Australia) "NMC" <NMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193149AE-8F18-49F4-A98D-91B801C7CC6F@microsoft.com... >I am operating on Headquarters v1.2 and Store Operations v1.3 however when >I > upload items the information does not transfer. Do both need to...

Concatenate text from columns
How can I concatenate text in colB? ColA has 2 markers C and * Whenever C is followed by * I need to unite the text fields in ColB So, for the data below I want ColA ColB C Text1 Text1a C Text2 Text2a Text2b Text2c ColA ColB C Text1 * Text1a cont'd C Text2 * Text2a cont'd * Text2b cont'd * Text2c cont'd C Text3 Hope this makes sense! Thbe easy method is to use a fromula in the worksheet. Something like this in cell C1 =if(A2="*",B1&B2,"") Then copy formula down column C Next Copy colum...

Duplicate folders #3
I seem to have duplicate folders in Outlook XP. SOme of the content is the same, but there are 2 seperate Inbox folders. How can this be or what have I done? ...

Mailbox Cleanup #3
Why do I get this every week? This is a new exchange server with about 15 users. (0 mailboxes) The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2007-01-14 00:11:03 Completed at: 2007-01-14 00:11:03 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB Did I set something up wrong? I thought this was a periodic cleanup routine.. Do you have a Recipient Policy with Mailbox Manager settings that has a LDAP filter that doesn't pick up any users? -- Bharat Sun...

Now that CRM 3.0 RTM is out on MSDN...
Now that CRM 3.0 RTM is out on MSDN are we allowed to talk about it in this NG? Or are we still supposed to keep quiet about it?! Cheers Tom ...

MSCRM 3.0 importing Chinese character problem
Hi, I use MSCRM 3.0, when importing, found the original Chinese character be changed to odd code, how can I solve this problem? ...

Import Problems in Feb 2010
I am using Money 2006, I have 4 accounts that I import transactions to. Two regulary banking accounts work fine. Two credit accounts will no longer import transactions. Actually they import and the account shows there are items to review but the transactions are not visible in the account. I tried deleting the account and re-importing jan/feb but after importing jan, the feb items import ok and 19 items are listed for review but none of them are visible again. I tried deleting again and just imported Feb. A few items came in but not everything and then I could not import J...

text box #7
I have created a text box, but when I type in something, and hit enter, I get the error message "REFERENCE NOT VALID". Please help. Thank you We require some more details. Where have you created the textbox, in the sheet or a userform. Are you using the control from the Control Toolbox menu. Are there any macros you are using. Mangesh "Marlis" <Marlis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C6C6F42-E6CB-4DEB-BB46-C8F923A343C0@microsoft.com... > I have created a text box, but when I type in something, and hit enter, I get > the error message "...

Upload of file containing images hyperlinked to web page. #2
Hi there. I am using Publisher 2003 with internet explorer using XP SP3. I have prepared my web page and I have kept the images that are hyperlinked to the page in a separate foler from the publication file (which I have not yet published to a web site format). I already know that the FTP protocol from my host does not work and I have to load the files one at a time. I create the directory and within that directory I upload my individual files. My question is: Almost all of the pictures are linked to larger pictures or descriptions. During the creation of the web site I have kept...

Corrupt pst file #5
I was using Outlook 2000 and two days ago it stopped working, saying I have a corrupt pst file. I have used PST2GB and then Inbox Repair tool about a million times but Inbox Repair tool gets an error at the end. I have tried a program called Kernel for Outlook but that didn't work very good. A bunch of stuff was missing and then Outlook 2000 wouldn't start any more. So I went and bought Office 2007 and I still can't import, open or do anything else with my old files. I can't begin to explain how important it is that I get my Contacts and Calendar back. I know that...

More than one profile in Outlook. #3
Hi I have a e-mail user that needs to open more than one e- mail account at a time, using Outlook 2002. If I click, File, Open, Others User's Folder, it works and he can get the mail for that e-mail account. When I try to put all the mailboxes in the folder list by clicking Tools, Email Accounts, View or change existing e-mail account, next, Change, More Settings, Advanced and then Add it gives me this message: The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed. I use Exchange 5.5 Can anyone help? ...

Power Point Viewer 2007 won't open ".pps" files
Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 32 bit. No Office 2007 installed. Using Microsoft Works. Have experienced several issues with Office PPT Viewer 2007. Cleared them, but additionally each time I try to open a .pps file, either from the Desktop or Windows Mail, I receive the following: "C:\Users|AMD\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\content.IE5\E7D22GOW\Gathering of Mustangs and Legends2007.pps is not a valid Win32 application". I have opened this file many times on another computer, so don't think it is an issue with the file. The software has be...

Equations and Text in same Cell
I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate text within the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the number of decimal places that the output displays. I've tried using the Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes. Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are combining text with the results of an equation? yes. you could incorperate the round() funciton. post your formula regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate...

ON as a file container
ON has become my sole work place., I now keep many important PDF files on ON pages. But I am scared of doing this. I am afraid one day ON will loose these files. For example because I change the location of the page which contains PDF files. How reasonable is it to keep PDF files embedded in ON? Now you will advise me to keep backups of PDF files in separate windows folders but this I don't want to do. The reason is that this is cumbersome. Each time I inset a PDF on a ON page I need to create a windows folder that should have a logical name and location. But ON is there exac...

Can't view template file in Tools>Options>File Locations
I have created a template and saved it to a shared folder. When users who have access to this folder try to add this template to their 'On my computer...' template list by selecting Tools>Options>File Locations>Workgroup templates>Modify, the template is not visible in the 'Modify Location' window. The template is visible in Windows Explorer, and when users navigate to its location in Word using File>New. Why would the template not appear in the 'Modify Location' window? Any ideas for how I can make it appear? In that dialog, you will no...

Moving attachments automatically to a file folder
Hi, Is there an easy way to configure Outlook 2000 to move attachments from certain messages automatically to a file folder. I mean a normal file folder in Windows, outside Exchange/Outlook environment. I would like to create an archive for attachments, and this archive would have to be accessible by several users, at the same time - so a .pst file is not a good option. It seems that I cannot use a rule or auto archive function to perform this, as they do not allow me to specify a target folder outside the Exchange environment. I do not have permissions to change the configuration o...

Charting with concatenated numbers and text
I am scatter charting from columns of data (text and numbers) that I concatanate into a long string so that I can use the validate drop down list feature in Excel, which only supports one column. I use Mid, Left and Right functions to then pick the relevant charting data from the string. Unfortunately although the numbers look good, Excel does not treat them the same way that it does with directly entered numbers - and my charts do not display accurately. Any ideas to to fix this problem or suggest a modified workflow. I am not an advanced user but would like to use the drop down li...

Link File
Hi, I have a file which shows a link of another file, but actually it did not. How can I delete the link ? I don't want it to show a linking message everytime when I open the file. Thanks in advance for your help. Eling Hi goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findlink.zip (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip) "et" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a file which shows a link of another file, but actually it did not. > How can I delete the link ? I don't want it to show a linking message > everytime when I open the fi...

New 2006 trial won't work with 2005 file
Hi - I've just downloaded the new trial 2006 - by mistake actually - because i was having problems with the 2005 trial that was available just last week so I thgt I would re-d/load. Now Money is saying that it cannot convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was created in a different version. I don't have a problem paying for the software, but there's not point in my buying MS Money 06 if my 05 file won't work and has 12 months worth of data in it. Does anyone know why it won't convert my 2005 file? I don't want to loose all that information, and I would r...

Utilities for Importing Data into O2003
Anyone have suggestions for utilities that allow importing into custom fields in Outlook from Excel and other formats? Shawn See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "srm" <srm@primatech.com> wrote in message = news:1139309174.143782.221290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Anyo...

Formatted Text in Autocorrect, Word 2008 for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I want to set up an autocorrect entry where I replace something with =formatted= as opposed to =plain= text. Specifically, I want to replace "qqq" with "QQQQQ" formatted in 14 pt Britannic Bold. However, I cnanot change the signal button from "plain' to "formatted" text. is there a way to do this? Type the word you want to use to replace "qqq" and format it inside your document. Select it, then click on Tools>AutoCorrect. You can now click the "formatted text&...

deleting rows after 3
basically i need some help deleting rows, i want a button click to delete all the rows after 3. the ones before 3 have text that i would like to stay, but the rows after three need to be deleted. there is no fixed end to the list as people add more rows - so the delet function would need to delete ALL rows greater than 3. thanks you could use a macro like: Rows("4:65536").Delete Shift:=xlUp "kishan" wrote: > basically i need some help deleting rows, > i want a button click to delete all the rows after 3. the > ones before 3 have text that i would ...

Automatic Reply #3
I was wondering if there is any way to automatically reply to people to let them know that I am out of the office without a server? ie There is no "out of office" option in my tool bar. You can create a message rule for this. "Genevieve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4f3b01c3e469$f34a7cf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I was wondering if there is any way to automatically reply > to people to let them know that I am out of the office > without a server? ie There is no "out of office" option in > my tool bar. Yes, you c...

Security for Xml File
Hello world, How to protect Xml Files in a We Site Directory ? Is it possible to protect Xml file like Sql Security ? Nico * Nicolas Joly wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >How to protect Xml Files in a We Site Directory ? >Is it possible to protect Xml file like Sql Security ? Hi Nicolas, I am not sure which kind of "protection" you are looking for, if you just worry about access from unauthorized users to an XML document on a web server, you could simply use HTTP facilities to deny access or request for authorization. If you worry about the integrity of the document...

Locating a downloaded file....
I am downloading a file from a website (Janome - sewing machine related) -- and it shows on the list of the downloads pop up window -- but I can't find it on my hard drive. How can I locate the file? It's not in the download folder. If I search for the file name - nothing comes up (I sure miss the old search process). I need to copy this file and move it to a flash drive -- in order to move it to an older laptop that no longer has Internet access - but runs my embroidery sewing machine. But I can't find the file. If I double click on the downloads pop-up -...