importing data using a macro

hi
i wish to import 300 fields of data into a spreadsheet
from a text file, but since spreadsheets are only 250
fields wide. i was wondering if there was anyway of
writing a macro that could import the data vertically, so
its all in one column or transpose it during
importation.  the cut and paste method is possible but i
have 200 of these text files to import into this
spreasheet and don't think this method would be best.
thank you time and any effort that you spend on this
matter its been much appreciated
Jo
0
Jo

I suggest you use Access to do this kind of job.  With Access, you can
easily select any of the 300 fields for report or export to Excel worksheet.

"Jo" <joany@02.ie> ????? news:0b3a01c366f9$0d401820$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> hi
> i wish to import 300 fields of data into a spreadsheet
> from a text file, but since spreadsheets are only 250
> fields wide. i was wondering if there was anyway of
> writing a macro that could import the data vertically, so
> its all in one column or transpose it during
> importation.  the cut and paste method is possible but i
> have 200 of these text files to import into this
> spreasheet and don't think this method would be best.
> thank you time and any effort that you spend on this
> matter its been much appreciated
> Jo

0
jharvest (8)
8/20/2003 9:08:51 AM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:08:51 +0800, "Eddy" <jharvest@ctimail.com>
wrote:

>I suggest you use Access to do this kind of job.  With Access, you can
>easily select any of the 300 fields for report or export to Excel worksheet.

Ummm... no. An Access table has a maximum of 255 fields. See the
on-line help topic "Access Specifications". Access can be used to get
around Excel's rows limitation, but not its column one.

As for Jo's question, it's possible... but before starting on this
path can you be certain that the number of records in each file is
<=256?

>"Jo" <joany@02.ie> ????? news:0b3a01c366f9$0d401820$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> hi
>> i wish to import 300 fields of data into a spreadsheet
>> from a text file, but since spreadsheets are only 250
>> fields wide. i was wondering if there was anyway of
>> writing a macro that could import the data vertically, so
>> its all in one column or transpose it during
>> importation.  the cut and paste method is possible but i
>> have 200 of these text files to import into this
>> spreasheet and don't think this method would be best.
>> thank you time and any effort that you spend on this
>> matter its been much appreciated
>> Jo

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)

copying workbooks with charts and changing data
As I've got to process several data of same kind, I create several copies of one workbook (1) that contains several charts When I use a copy of workbook 1 (2) with new values, the charts always refers to data in (1)...how can I do to use the values of (2)....?? How are you copying the original chart? If the chart is in the same workbook as the data, you should have no problem if you do Save As with the entire workbook, or if you make a copy of the file in Windows Explorer. When you start copying charts separately from copying their data, the charts always point to the data you don&#...

If Statement in a macro
I want to put the following formula into a macro, what commands do use? If Z1=1, goto A1, if z1=100 goto A100. Can someone help please? Thank you -- colinfraser@prosealuk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- colinfraser@prosealuk.com's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=523 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=127235 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i If Range("Z1").Value = 1 Then Application.Goto Range("A1") ElseIf Range("Z1").Value = 100 Then Appli...

Pivot Table result isn't displaying all the data that it should
I have a pivot table that I use to list invoices paid on a certain date. I fill in this field in the spreadsheet, refresh the pivot table and select the date I want from the dropdown list but it doesn't always list all the invoices. Then I'll refresh it again and it displays an extra invoice or two but not all the ones it should. I've verified that I entered all the info correctly and try to refresh multiple times but it doesn't display all the data. If I delete the pivot table and recreate it then it finds all the invoices. Later, it happens again. Has this happen...

Data entry form opens up as blank page Access 2007
Hi - I am so eager to get feedback on this. I have a simple little data entry form (Detail) that appears as a button on a switchboard form (Manager). The only other choices on the switchboard are Exit and Review Records Entered (runs a macro that runs a query that displays only the records entered so far by that staff person). I set the database so that it opens default to the switchboard. I split it then and copied the front end individually for each user. All records are going into a "back end" with 4 tables, one containing the records they are entering and the other 3 prov...

Excel 2003 - VBA
I have been using Macro Recording as a means of creating and understanding macros. Now when I want to add a function to a macro I record a separate macro, then edit it into my existing macro. Is there a way to start record steps within a macro already created. Thanks, Craig Craig, Older versions (how old?) of Excel had the record at mark capability. You could record a new macro starting at specific position in an existing macro. Excel was then "improved" and that feature eliminated. -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins...

Logic Formula using colors in the formula?
Hi: I am using Office (Excel) 2007, and for some reason I thought that a change was made in this version of Excel, that allows for formulas which take into account the font color. Here is what I'm trying to accomplish: In Columns L & M I have dates that identify a beginning and end date for a class that a student has signed up for. If the student hasn't paid in full, the class dates are in bold red font. Once payment has been made, I change the font to black (and unbold it). The two issues I'd love to do with formula (to make things easier) are the following: ...

Customizing a Control Using OnLButtonDown, OnMouseMove, etc.
I'm subclassing a CRichEditCtrl, and I need to override OnLButtonDown, OnMouseMove, etc. handlers so that I can customize the actions that happen upon those event however I'm not really sure what all the default implementations do and how they do it. Is there any way I could find out? I've tried stepping through, but it doesn't seem to provide much info. I get to the point where it calls the Default procedure. Any hints you all could pass on? Thanks! > I'm subclassing a CRichEditCtrl, and I need to override OnLButtonDown, > OnMouseMove, etc. handlers so that ...

Data Label Frequency
Hello, I have a data series with many data points (100s or 1000s) in a scatter plot. I would like to plot data points with data labels, but if I plot all data labels it just looks like a big thick smear of a line. Is there a way to select data label frequency plotted so that I the plot skips some of the data? Thanks, Pete. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

Grouping data query
Hi, I've got grouped sql sitting in an excel sheet as follows: Cat Supplier Amount A A 1 A B 12 A D 7 B B 23 B C 9 B E 30 I'm trying to create grouped bars on Category, with bars in the groups representing the amounts per supplier. I've tried getting the Chart wizard to do this to no avail, as each line becomes a bar Excel 2003. What am I missing? Thanks, Alex Hi Alex, You want to look into PivotTables and PivotCharts for grouping. Microsoft.com and the internet have lots of info ...

where is the select all check box that used to be on outlook 03?
I just got outlook 07 and i can't find the select all check box to select all the emails like you can on outlook 03 or hotmail. Is it hidden somewhere? where did you see it in outlook 2003? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to E...

Use of Outlook as sales contact and prospecting database similar to ACT
We have used ACT and would like to use Outlook in the same fashion as Outlook is the standard for our company. Is there an addon or program that sets Outlook up to mimic the features of ACT? The next release of outlook or outlook 2003 gives you some of the features of a tool like act "Tom Brink" <tbrink@clarian.org> wrote in message news:113e701c383a0$d84914e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > We have used ACT and would like to use Outlook in the same > fashion as Outlook is the standard for our company. Is > there an addon or program that sets Outlook up to mimic > t...

Converting QIF data
I notice there is an Excel macro that converts flat data into the QIF format, suitable for importing into Money. The macro is at http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/UtilityIndex.htm , and is called wm1248.exe Is there any tool/utility that will read a Money QIF file (money 95 version), and convert the QIF data to a 'flat' file. There's MoneyLink that will read all transactions for a specific account or all accounts directly into Excel. There are a hoard of Excel and QIF tools. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=9 for links to some of them. "Peter" <someone@my-dej...

Need an HTML replacement Macro

How can i use CTime?
I have a function that i want to be executed at a specified time. The user enters time in a modal dialog box and the time is stored as an integer value. So far everyone is happy. The problem is that i have to actualy make the function work at the time the user entered. So i figure it out that the best solution is to set a timer every 1 min and when that minute is over, the OnTimer function to do something like this CTime localTime; //CTime object int m_hour = 15; //user defined hour int m_Min = 35; // user defined minute localTime.GetCurrentTime(); if (( localTime.GetHour == m_...

Which Function(s) should I use?
Hi All, I want to generate 5 lists using the preference column from raw data which is in the following format: Preference Name Club 1 A Smith NY 2 G Murphy WN 3 S Rogers MA 4 B Wall CN 5 C Hill DW 1 D Thomas ON 2 W Shatner CA 3 E Jones MS 4 L Long SC 5 J Downe NC Can you please advise which functions I should use to collate the data, also allowing me to cha...

Use critical patch from the M$ Corp.
--dkbzpudcjka Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="cowurgxnr"; type="multipart/alternative" --cowurgxnr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wcmnuvgvn" --wcmnuvgvn Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping your...

Word 2007 hangs when using VPN
We use Cisco VPN to connect to our company network. When I'm online thru VPN and start Word 2007, Word hangs due to some strange printer issue. If my default printer is network printer, Word hangs. If I change my default printer to e.g. Cute PDF writer, then Word starts ok. Any ideas what is causing this? Other Office programs work fine. On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 05:28:01 -0800, Heikki Salminen <Heikki Salminen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We use Cisco VPN to connect to our company network. When I'm online thru VPN >and start Word 2007, Word hangs due to some...

Excel import problems
How do you get Excel 2003 to import more han 16,351 lines ...

Taste this important pack for Microsoft Internet Explorer
--feaupngf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="jhzyqxcsiy"; type="multipart/alternative" --jhzyqxcsiy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="gqfabfuh" --gqfabfuh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities, ...

macro #15
Thank you for the previos response it worked. I need to copy a whole spreadsheet and paste as value. , and then in column A replace all the values that is not "Header" with "Detail" Thanks ...

importing personal settings after reformatting hard drive
I reformatted my hard driva and re-installed Outlook 2003. I imported all folders in my old .pst file, but cannot import my toolbar settings, rules, custom contact forms etc. Can someone help? Spiv Spiv, The *.pst only includes Personal Folder data (any emails or folders you had in your personal folder). You would have had to use the Office "Save My Settings" wizard prior to reformatting your hard drive. "Spiv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1099801c44023$36f18f10$a001280a@phx.gbl... >I reformatted my hard driva and re-installe...

Time "and" Date for data points
I have date and time in my first column for my x axis, but I can't get both date and time to display in the chart. My data spans two weeks and now displays as I want it, but the data is useless without showing the relevant date/time for the data points (across the bottom of the chart). Is there a work around for this. I've tried different date/time cell formats which will display as I want it in the cell, but can't get the same display in the chart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help. Diana Cowtoon wrote: > I have date and time in my...

Access to MS CRM data by non-licensed users
What is the best way for a non-licensed user to access MS CRM data? Has anyone from Microsoft ever stated that you can access the MS CRM SQL database directly with a SELECT statement and not break the licence agreement? Can anyone copy the MS CRM data into another database and access that data without a license? Can anyone use the MS CRM filtered views to either access the MS CRM database directly or to make copies of the data? Has anyone written an MS CRM add-on application that pass the certification test which directly reads MS CRM data? If the MS CRM license is only for the software, ...

RE: See this important patch which comes from Microsoft
--sqkpfyvscgmckiapl Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mfchqpphah"; type="multipart/alternative" --mfchqpphah Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wcoixwadzooksh" --wcoixwadzooksh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install n...

Macro to add value if cell has a color :-s
I don't know if this exists, but is it possible to check if a certain cell has a color? Normally a cell is blank, but someone asked me to see if it is possible to check if a cell is colored.. Any suggestions? Thanks!!! Is this sufficient? Sub ifcolor() If Range("b2").Interior.ColorIndex > 0 Then MsgBox "yep" End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <test@testnospam.nl> wrote in message news:obht5456aq6ur5gbqmasacqke9p2g13o7i@4ax.com... >I don't know if this exists, but is it possible to check if a cer...