Importind data from several files

Hi,

I need to import data from several files into a single
worksheet every month. I wish I could do this in the most
automatic way possible (I didn't want to repeat the
import process for each file).

Is this possible?

Thanks

Look into the Data, Consolidate feature.

--
David Hager
Excel MVP

"Jo" <joana.fernandes@aceplus.pt> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to import data from several files into a single
> worksheet every month. I wish I could do this in the most
> automatic way possible (I didn't want to repeat the
> import process for each file).
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks

0
dhager (10)
10/17/2003 5:18:37 PM
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:13:41 -0700, "Jo" <joana.fernandes@aceplus.pt>
wrote:
How about trying on the Excel menu...... Data/ Get External Data/ New
Database Query...
Then choose a workbook and start a query using Excel files* as the
data source . Combine the different workbooks. You have to look into
defining names in the workbooks and initially you may have to do a lot
of fussing with this but MSQuery will let you pull this off. I only
suggest that at some point when you get the query the way you like
save it as an external query from the worksheet so that if anything
happens you can use it again in a new workbook.
Scott

>Hi,
>
>I need to import data from several files into a single
>worksheet every month. I wish I could do this in the most
>automatic way possible (I didn't want to repeat the
>import process for each file).
>
>Is this possible?
>
>Thanks

0
yogurt (5)

help with log file
Got a database in SQL2005 that is basically a download of a daily flat text files and creating tables from them. The log.ldf file is frikkin huge. It's over 146GB and I don't need this, I have storage issues. How do I shorten down this file and keep it small forever? Hi Rocketman Have you read about managing the transaction log in the Books Online? How big is your database? What recovery model are you in? What kinds of backups are you doing, and how frequently? If you are not in SIMPLE recovery, and you don't back up your log, it will continue to grow. Even...

Email not working when called from IE or a directory file
When I right click on a file in a directory (such as a photo) I get a menu that includes 'Send to' and an option to 'Mail recipient'. When I click on that it used to launch an email composition window from Outlook and the file is an attachment. For some reason, that function has stopped working. I checked my Outlook preferences and the box designating Outlook as the default email client is checked. I am using Outlook 2003 SP1 and this problem has just started in the last week. My OS is XP Home 5.1.2600. In addition, if I am using Internet Explorer (IE) and try to email a ...

Getting Data Shapes to Work with Custom Stencils
I imported a picture and saved it as a shape. Then I linked data from a SQL database. I can get the data to show up in the Shape Date, but I can't get a Data Graphic to appear. Note that I can get Data Graphics to work with out of the box shapes in the same drawing - just not the custom picture. Tried in both Visio 2007 and 2010 Beta. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. ...

Folders disappearing after compacting file cabinet
Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different folders because I've compacted my file cabinet. Anything with a file folder named with E or beyond gets dumped. A through D only remains. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks! Karen C. Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before this happened? "Karen C." <kcunningham @ iglou.com> wrote in message news:...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

How to Arrange Data for Chart
I charted the following data in a clustered column chart. Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 FY07 - Total 167 23 20 43 81 FY08 - Total 178 22 40 26 90 These are total department errors segregated by levels for each fiscal year. There are 3 different departments involved. What I did was just total the errors for each FY and each level. Now my boss wants to see how many errors were performed within each level by Dept A, Dept B and Dept C and compare the 2 fiscal years. I hope I’m explaining...

Dump file corrupt
************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ Unable to read PsLoadedModuleList ************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ KdDebuggerData.KernBase < SystemRangeStart Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 ...

Network File lock not detected
We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and out of all day. I have a problem with one user's excel not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with other users not detecting the file is in use and displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read only or wait. Is there anything I can do in execel to fix that or is it a network issue. Running XP pro, office xp pro, and 2k server. From my experience, it is a network issue. They need to unlock the file because Excel cannot. Fixed it, Windows didn't have sp1 on it. For some reason it fixed the pr...

How to update contacts in WLM via csv file?
I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list. I managed to get WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing. Now, I want to update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I exported from OE. However, the contacts import program just hangs and doesn't take. Do I need to delete the existing list first? If so, how do I do that? I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7 Are you logging in to Live services? It will say your profile name under the close X. -- Ron Sommer "Bumper21248" wrote in message news...

pst file might be corrupted
Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I tried to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway through the process and said that an error occured without specifying which error. Is there any other way to recover this pst file? Thks in advance. How big is the PST file? "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB884E0-7C9F-4064-936F-5065E257BB5B@microsoft.com... > Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I > tried > to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway ...

Users and Asset Data linked on Form
Hello everyone, I have two tables, one a Staff list and the other an Asset list extracted from seperate databases, the information in the tables has absolutely no common data, I have a form with the user name and other bits and pieces on from the staff list and also a drop down list of all asset numbers which I can then select the appropiate asset number from then, that asset number and other details I would like to be associated to that user. I have tried, I have done this in the past about 4 years ago but I cannot remember any of it! Any help would most appreciated Cheers David David, T...

VBA to call file based on date
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with a VBA routine to check for the presence of a specific file. The file is saved on a dialy basis in the format "userfile_run_YYYYMMDD.xls" i am seeking help with a vb code that will check if today or any specified days report is generated. i guess excel can use the date format to read the specified location for the file. Thank you in advance for your help. .....Coming from Where I'm from. Dim sFile As String sFile = Dir("C:myPath\userfile_run_" & Format(Date,"yyyymmdd") & ".xls") If s...

"The image file ___ is valid but ...."
"The image file ________ is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine." What does this message dialog mean on Win XP x64? It means that the program you're trying to run is 16-bit. There is NO 16-bit support in any 64-bit version of Windows. You'll need to run the application in a virtual machine running some earlier version of Windows. -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel <johnsuth@nospam.com.au> wrote in message news:c1.2c.3KklK9$0TP@PC1.BIGPOND.COM... > > "The image file ________ is valid but is...

How do I put Excel data into a US map format?
I want to feed Excel data about population and trends into a map format instead of a bar graph or pie chart. Is there a plug-in or some such thing that I can use that works with Excel? Ultimately, I want to have each state depicted by a color code for a range of population or an amount of certain data. I am using Excel 2002 in a Windows XP environment. ...

how do I sum only visible data in a column
I have some rows manually hidden, Please is there a formula I can apply to return the sum of the unhidden data contain in a column? Hi Afolabi, If you don't want to use VBA (create a UDF), you could review the following pages: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames08.htm http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames09.htm In any case, there is a fundamental issue with both approaches: since hiding/unhiding rows doesn't trigger any event, such event will have to be forced from time to time, or maybe you can leave with the formulae updating their result in the next recalculation...

print mass Powerpoint certificates from Excel file
I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail merge? In article <BFBA41AC-26D1-4B30-8C54-425C2E8A50F0@microsoft.com>, Go to Girl wrote: > I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a > PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail > merge? Not out of the box, but we have a commercial PowerPoint add-in that does exactly this. You can try out a fully functional demo to see if it meets your needs. Mo...

Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003
My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook 2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why 2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance to anyone who knows the solution. Alan. The only pro...

Importing External Data
I keep trying to import data from an Access database and I continually get the same error. "ODBC Microsoft Access Driver The text file specification "Inserts" does not exist You cannot import., export or link using this specification." Well the spec does exist, the queries run just fine in Access. The data source are linked text files using the "Inserts" specification, which definitely does exist. Sumpens wrong, but danged if I know what it is. Any ideas? TIA Paul Hammond ...

Data Validation date field
I don't understand why this isn't working. I just want to make sure that they don't put a future date in the polydate field. Is me.polydate > now() an invalid expression? code: _________________________________________________________ Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) If Me.PolyDate > Now() Then Cancel = True Me.PolyDate.SetFocus MsgBox "Please enter a date that falls prior to today's date" Exit Sub End If End Sub It does not appear to be invalid. It is always helpful to post the error you are getting and if it is a runti...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

How to Update the Data in RichEditView
Hi every body, I am trying to split the RichEditView,its splitting,but i am not able to update the data in all views.If any body knows give a suggestion. Regards, Subbaiah. ...

Transpose Address Data
Is there any way to transpose a range of data automatically? I know about using the transpose function in Excel, but to use it I need to manually select what I want to transpose. I have about 13000 rows that I want to transpose (end result would be about 1000 rows of address details). The biggest problem I have is that I can't find any thing in the list of data that highlights where I would want to start a new range. It also looks like not everything is a set number of rows, so I can't even transpose every 10 rows. Is there anything I can do other than select, copy, paste speci...

Getting Data from another sheet? #3
WHere do I save it to -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26722 Hi bludovico The manual is not ready yet (First version of the Add-in) Save the file where you want on your PC. Then in Excel go to Tools>Add-ins.. Browse to the file..OK You see it in the list now (Select it) -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "bludovico" <bludovico.1dribg@excelforum-...

Sync Money Files
I have a laptop and desktop, both running Money 07. I have been away from home for three months and have been keeping my expenses in Money on my laptop. My wife has been keeping our records on the desktop. My problem is how to combine the two files so that I have one set of money files. When I cease travelling, the notebook will not be used for Money work; but the desktop will. So I need to combine the two files. Are there any solutions? Thanks, John Reid There is no easy way to do this. There aren't even many hard ones. Have you already done this or are you only pondering a re...

Can Windows client application read/write data to remote SQL Server database?
Can a Windows client application read/write data to a remote SQL Server database? > Can a Windows client application read/write data to a remote SQL > Server database? Certainly. SQL Server is a client-server DBMS and the service often runs remotely on a separate server. -- Hope this helps. Dan Guzman SQL Server MVP http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/ ...