import many text files

I have to import text files in Excel. I'd like to bypass
the procedure of "lines to skip" and "Delimiter
Selection" since it's always the same.

Is there a way to tell Excel how to import a certain type
of file (regarding the extention) and to do it without
asking questions ?

Thank you
0
methodbud (1)

If your text files are comma delimitered, then changing
the file extension to .csv rather that .txt will cause
Excel to open your text file without going through the
import wizard.

0
markem411 (20)

suggested ways to manipulate XML files in .Net?
Hi everyone, I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and if not, what the differences are and who's missing what. I'll also be comparing values between nodes in the two files, for when both documents do have the same named nodes. What .Net classes should I be looking at to accomplish these tasks? Thanks a bunch. Steve Hershoff wrote: > I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through > the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and...

Quicken Import #2
I've been using Quicken for about 10 years. I have all my checking, investment, retirement and loan accounts in Quicken. I have never used MS Money. I am considering buying MS Money 2004 Deluxe. My questions are: (1) When importing from Quicken into Money, how accurate will the data and accounts come across? (2) How does Money compare with Quicken? (3) When importing into Money, do I use an import function and/or restore? I have a considerable amount of data in Quicken and I would hate to edit data in the Money accounts to agree with my Quicken accounts. Thanks, Marty In microsoft.pub...

Importing data #5
Hello, I have a workbook in Excel 2003 that I need some advice on please. The data used in the spreadsheet is collected online into a CSV file, this CSV file is imported into Excel onto a "Raw Data" worksheet. From this raw data several other worksheets need to access this raw data to prepare the reports required. I have the first report sheet designed and it picks up the data from the Raw Data sheet. The problem I need help with is updating the raw data; when I download a new file from our web site and refresh the data import the report worksheet does not update correctly. Fo...

Can't display all text in cell
I'm trying to display text in a cell. I've got Wrap Text on, and I hav several paragraphs of text. All of it appears in the formula bar, bu not in the cell displayed on the screen. And yes, I increased the ro height, but it still doesn't show. Any ideas? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am having the same problem. Apparantly there is a 1024 character limitation per cel in excel. The only advice I have received so far, which does work, is to press alt+enter to create a line break. If you find another work around, I would be interested. Hi besid...

Excel to publisher import
How can I import an excel spreadsheet to publisher doc.? If you want to insert the actual spreadsheet, you can go to Insert > Object > Create from file and browse to the Excel file. If you want to merge the contents of the cells, you can use the Mail Merge feature in Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80F32E78-1710-40E9-8922-CE4EBD69F5C2@microsoft.com... > How can I imp...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

Integration Manager--log file name?
Is there any way to know the name of the log file (we're writing our logs to text file) from within one of the "After" integration events? If we're successful, we need to send the user an email telling them that the event is successful. We're currently cycling through the whole folder to find the latest one, but if there were a variable in the Integration Manager VBScripts that I could use, that would be much better. Thanks. PSC: If I recall correctly, IM has a Document Error and Integration Error event in the integration properties. Rather than looking at the...

Saving chart as an image file
I want to create a pie chart in Microsoft Excel, then save it as an image file (.jpg or .gif) so I can put it on a website. How do I do this? Secondly, as I create my pie chart, how do I set my data labels? I want to change them from the default (numbers) to my own description for each slice. Jon Peltier has some instructions in his Excel Charting FAQ article for exporting a chart in gif format: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon008 To add your own labels to the chart, you can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. It's a free add-in that yo...

File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home
I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help. 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I interpreting this correctly? 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3 computers need limited access. If I purchase X...

Importing
How do you cut and past photos into Publisher 2003 without them coming in huge rather than the original size? This is an irritating feature that was not present in Publisher 2000. You sure you know the original size? They go on the document page "as is". Thereafter you can resize it on the page. -- David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Peggy" wrote: > How do you cut and past photos into Publisher 2003 without them coming in > huge rather than the original size? This is an irritating feature that was > not...

PDF file #5

Importing with Multiple delimiters
I am trying to import some very large flat files which use |~| as the delimter. Does anyone know how to import this data into excel or access? Or have VB code which will model importing and parsing this large file. Starting with 30,000 to 600,000 lines in each text file--only need 3-10 items in the whole.... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ This is very easy to do, not in EXCEL, but ACCESS. Create a new database. When you see the new database windo...

Import 10-03-03
I am having a problem importing leads. I have a simple lead file: Topic, Fname, & Lname. it is a CSV file. When I try to import, I get a system error in IE. I've imported leads before without a problem. The only thing that has changed is the addtion of 1 custom field in the lead form. I don't have access to customersource because we got the software for free at a seminar on CRM. Any help would be appreciated. kevin@ecomppo.com what is the error kevin? also when you added the custom field to the form etc i assume you published the change through deployment manager and res...

Too Many Excel Apps running
I recently installed Excel 2010. My operating system is XP Pro. Ever since I installed Excel 2010 I find that every time I open an Excel file it opens a new Excel. It is not unusual for me to have 5 different Excels open even after I close a file. My bottom ribbon is full of Excels! I previously used Excel 2003 and did not have this problem. I know these are different Excels operating because I am unable to open a split window to show two different files. Note - I usually open my files via Explorer. Is there a setting that I can use to require that my single open Excel can open any new Exce...

Hotkeys for text & background coloring
Hi. Does anyone know the hotkeys for text coloring (font color) & background coloring (fill color)? Eg: First you need to select the font color & fill color in the related toolbar incons. - When I highlight "I am great", then press "Ctrl+O" for example, the text will be colored as what it's displayed in the "font color" toolbr icon. - The simliar way applies to background coloring If the above is not available, any workaround is still apreciated. -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP You could use a sma...

linked files
When I open a file it says it is linked to another file. When I check the links it is linked to a file I no longer have. How do I find where the link is coming from and get rid of it. Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to get rid of the file. Charlie C Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility .. It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Retrieve .pst files
My PC at work is upgraded from windows NT to Windows 2000. Before upgrade I backed up all the outlook 2000 .pst files. Now I have outlook 2003. I unable to retreive .pst files. viji.pst file is available under C:\Documents and Settings\jviji\Local settings\Applicationdata/microsoft/outlook. From outlook menu file -> data file management ->add -> outlook 97-2002 personal folder.pst -> viji.pst prompts to enter passwd. Please reply how do I retrieve the passwd protected .pst file. This are very important emails. Please reply. Thanks Viji Viji Jayaraman <jviji@ems.att.co...

How can I access a file in Outlook Public Folder by VBscript
It does not have to be VBscript.. I need sync the file with my local harddrive... Thanks. Nix wrote: > It does not have to be VBscript.. > I need sync the file with my local harddrive... > > Thanks. Why does it need to be a script at all? You can add your public folder to your PF\Favorites (drag it there) and include it in your send/receive settings for offline use with your OST file. ...

counting same text from different cells
Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. It will be really helpful if u could send me the solution thank you om Hi =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"p") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "om" <om@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96B25715-6B88-40F8-8360-9602A05E3B30@microsoft.com... > Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in > excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. > > It will be rea...

data import and word templates missing from CRM
Hi. I'm working with a new install of CRM and there are some icons missing in the setttings area such as the import function on the data management page and word templates under templates. Any ideas about why this is? Thanks. ...

moving files
How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are installed separately. If you are talking about the documents you created, you wouldn't have to. But if you wanted to - copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "dunefarm" <dune@discus.micro.com> wrote in message news:3854FB0D-CB6B-4D3A-A922-0A982890D3FD@microsoft.com... > How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are > installed separately. ...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

Can OnPrint output be saved to a file?
Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a file? I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it is more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint. Thanks. How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file option in the Print dialog box? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits.com Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Can OnPrint output (icludin...

Arrears Help Files
Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears transactions. I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it in the main GP 10 help file. We have GP 10 SP 4. I looked in KB see no reference to that particular problem anywhere. TIA Anyone? On Feb 10, 8:12=A0am, Brian <nixtoo...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears > transactions. =A0I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it > in the main GP 10 help file. =A0We have GP 10 SP 4. =A0I looked in KB see= no...

Message-Data file not properly closed???
Upon boot of Outlook, EVERYTIME, I get this message--Data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected by the check in progress. When I leave Outlook, I have made sure to close all files and exit properly. Is there some reason this happens? I even go back to my main screen now. Is there something more I should be doing. Did the file checking finish before you closed Outlook? If not, it will continue/restart the next time you start Outlook. If it still does this after the checking has completed, the...