if statement with text

I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
total in text leave blank

help
0
jerry (163)

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total", A1)),"",-yourCalculation-)

FIND returns #VALUE if "Total" is not in A1
Therefore, ISERROR returns False if "Total" is in A1 (i.e., it was found, no
error)

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
> total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
> total in text leave blank
>
> help

0
JunkGeorgeN (154)
6/23/2005 10:23:47 PM
George,

I was so close! Thanks !

have a great afternoon/eve

"George Nicholson" wrote:

> =IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total", A1)),"",-yourCalculation-)
>
> FIND returns #VALUE if "Total" is not in A1
> Therefore, ISERROR returns False if "Total" is in A1 (i.e., it was found, no
> error)
>
> HTH,
> --
> George Nicholson
>
> Remove 'Junk' from return address.
>

> "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
> > total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
> > total in text leave blank
> >
> > help

0
jerry (163)

append a string of text to all cells in a column?
Excel 2003 Is there a way to do this? The cells that I want to append to all contaio plain text. Thanks! ....Lisa Lisa Assuming column of text is A In B1 enter =A1 & "textstring" Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:37:14 -0500, "Lisa Hetherington" <gerry.lisa@sympatico.ca> wrote: >Excel 2003 >Is there a way to do this? >The cells that I want to append to all contaio plain text. > >Thanks! > >...Lisa > Thank you!! ....Lisa "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbA...

is it possible to write macro to convert tables to text
Is possible to write a macro for word to select and convert tables to text? Do you mean like Dim oRng As Range Dim oTable As Table For Each oTable In ActiveDocument.Tables oTable.ConvertToText ", " Next oTable -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> &...

Word 2007
Hi, I have a problem with this annoyance. As soon as I start typing Word will justify the text. So, for example, if I want to write "I like red apples." I will first type "I " and then after I type "l" the cursor will jump to the rightmost position: |I l_| I will then have fully justified "I like". The same will be with all following words, the cursor will stay close to the right margin justifying text all the time: |I like r_| .... |I like red ...

Sending pictures with text and then another picture with text.
I receive some e-mails with text and then a picture with more text and again a picture. Some of these will have 8 to 10 pictures with text under each picture. But when I send it out it is received with all of the text in a group and the pictures are all sent as attachments. How do I get my e-mails to send the pictures and text the way I receive them? Thanks for any help you can give me. Bob ...

Cell Formatting of a Conditional Statement
I want to be able to change the background of a cell colour if a second condition is met - but for the background to remain unchanged if the first condition is met. So in the formula below, the background would be yellow if the 'c2' condition is satisfied. =if(c1>0,c1,c2) My actual formulae are much more complex but if someone can point me in the right direction in terms of principles that would be great 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell wil...

allow all text to be seen in a cell in microsoft excel
im tryin to format a cell so that it automatically gets bigger if i type a large amount of text. can ne1 help?? thanx a lot There is a limit on how much is displayed and a limit on how much can be copied. For Excel 2003, the display limit is 1024 characters. Cell can hold 32,767 characters. Formula bar will display up to 32,767 characters. Quantro Pro? is Excel's rival. It might be more flexible. "s.gun" wrote: > im tryin to format a cell so that it automatically gets bigger if i type a > large amount of text. > can ne1 help?? thanx a lot S, You'll need ...

Add new element in the text of another element
Hi, I have an xml file which looks sort of like this: <Drugs> <Drug> <Name>Losartan Potassium</Name> <Indications>Antihypertensive</Indications> <SideEffects>BP Change, GI Distress, etc</SideEffects> <Warninigs>Dizziness, insomnia, cough, URI, anemia</Warnings> <Drug> </Drugs> What I need to do is to search for specific text strings (from a glossary) within a few of the elements and convert it to something like this: <Drugs> <Drug> <Name>Losartan Pot...

Value of List Box in Text fields on Form
I have a multiple select List box that the user will potentially click on 10 items from the List Box. I want to be able to drop the results of each item clicked in a text field on the form.. so the first item clicked would go in the first text box, second would go in the second text box.. is this possible? Thanks. Lisa Lisa You've described a "how" ... how you want to accomplish something. If you'll provide a bit more information about what the underlying data looks like (i.e., structure), and what business need having a screen full of filled text boxes will serve (i...

IF conditional statements
Hi, It's my understanding that I can nest up to seven levels of the IF functions within one formula. My question is how does one nest over seven levels? Below is the actual code without adding the additional IF statements. =IF(D8=" "," ",IF(D8=$L$81 Then +Insured!$G$38-Worksheets!D45,IF(D8=$L$82,+Insured!$G$40-Worksheets!D45,IF(D8=$L$83,+Insured!$G$42-Worksheets!D45,IF(D8=$L$84,+Insured!$G$44-Worksheets!D45))))) Here's is an example of over sevel levels where I like to add to the cell, but again I cannot because Excel only nest up to seven levels. =IF(D...

Importing Text into Excel
I have a text document that has special French characters, or special German characters, etc. When I import the document into Excel the text changes, and the special characters are not imported. How can we get the text to import with the special characters? Peggy ...

Access 2007 Rich Text Deficiencies?
I posted a few days ago that it seems to me that the Access 2007 rich text feature does not support: a) full text justification; b) programmatic manipulation. I was hoping that someone might know one way or the other whether that was true or not, or could point me to an article or help text that would. What I have seen so far online and in Access 2007 help seems to confirm the above. But that (or at least (b)) seems incredible that it would be so. I need to make a decision regarding implementing rich text features, and I need to decide whether to go with Access 2007 or use a third-part...

If then statements #2
Hi, I've rarely used the if then statements and am not sure is what I need to do is possible. A1 is a list box with 12 options. Its made up of 3 groups consisting of 4 different rates per group for a total list box of 12 options. B1 is a charge based on A1 which is pulled from a separate worksheet using vlookup. C1 is a yes or no list box. D1 needs to see yes in C1 and then look at A1 and its corresponding rate sheet to enter an applicable credit rate based on one of the groups. I'll try to give an example. A1 is a list box with Single a, Single b, Single C, double a, doub...

Why do my labels come out with green text?
When i print address labels the text comes out green, how do I change it? ...

using 2 different IF statements
I have a macro that, after the user fills in 2 different areas of a form, the data in those areas are appended to an Excel list. If either area is not completely filled out, I want a message to appear indicating where the problem is, and the sub exited. I used the following code: If Range("c3") = "" Or Range("c4") = "" Or Range("C5") = "" Or Range("C6") = "" Or _ Range("C7") = "" Or Range("C8") = "" Then answer = MsgBox("Incomplete Header Information", vbInf...

Formating formulas in text strings
I am trying to write a piece of text in excel and within the text have references to cells on a stats sheet. I have been able to that but I am unable to format the value. For example: ="Total Spend in FY04 is $"&'Sub Select Stats'!F10&"" which appears like this Total Spend in FY04 is $11878420.87 I would like to make this easier to read by applying the US Dollar Currency Format. Is this possible as the value is part of a text string. I would also like to format % values as they are appearing as "% value is 0.0534351145038168" ...

Insert text box into many pages
Hi using 2007 I am creating an A5 booklet with many pages, adding as necessary Is it possible to add text boxes to my margin guides automatically with existing pages and to new pages as they are added? -- Martin ���� The option is in the Insert, Page. Create one text box on each page. I don't think you can automatically create a text box on an existing page. You can copy the empty box and paste as you go along. Or double-click the text box icon and create many boxes at once. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Martin ���� @nohere.net" wrote in message news:s5vf259mfgh...

Microsoft Excel text
I have a few cells once in a while for the project I am doing at work that do not show all of my data. The cell wraps the text to a certain point and then it looks like it just goes into nowhere. If I click on the cell though, all of data is showing in the formula bar. This is driving me crazy, can someone please help me????? probably means that there is data in the adjacent cell. Maybe spaces. You could also wrap the text, Format>Cells>Alignment check the Wrap Text box and make the row deeper. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "despe...

Document turn grey, covers text.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Lately, the entire document I working on will turn grey. I can only see the one white-line I'm typing -- the grey completely covers all words in the document. If I refresh the window (scroll down and up), they grey is gone, and I can continue to work -- for few minutes, when it all turns grey again. What's going on? Yeah, what the h is that? I'm guessing so you can focus on the line, but come on! What gives, Word? ...

Dlookup Problem Text VS Number type
Hello all- I have a form (in access) that has a section of code which fills in certain cells for an excel spread sheet. Code has worked perfectly for a while, but recently I changed the table's 'OrderNumber' field from a Number type to a Text type. Now my Dlookup doesn't work. I tried changing it back, and it works again. Why does it matter? I need/would really like it to be a text type field. All help/explinations would help a lot. Thanks! Zach Zach - Did you also update the DLookup statement? A text field requires the single-quote delimiter arou...

using a IF statement to return a value
trying to have my formula to either give me an account number or D9 is blank return a value of "blank" =IF(D9="040410",411000,IF(D9="040428",420026,IF(D9="040403",420011,IF(D9="040405",420028,IF(D9="040407",420013))))) -- Cindy Instead of having all that info in a formula where it's ahrder to audit/change, consider building a lookup table. Then your formula could be condensed to: =IF(D9="","",LOOKUP(D9,Table_Reference)) -- Best Regards, Luke M "Cindy M" <CindyM@discussio...

Wrapping Text Around A Picture
Can anyone tell me how to wrap text around a picture? For expample, I have a rectangular shaped picture~ I want to start a paragraph to the right of the picutre and have the text automatically wrap underneath once the space on the side is filled. Does that make sense? I've seen it done on some templates but can't figure it out. I've tried every possible combination in the "format text box" and "format picture" options but still no luck. -- Thank you, KDill Bring the picture to the front. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://m...

powerpoint text comes up all at once, i need it one line at a time
As i present i want the text lines to come up one at a time, but they are coming up as a complete slide, how do i solve this please? On 3/9/10 8:33 AM, EvoR wrote: > As i present i want the text lines to come up one at a time, but they are > coming up as a complete slide, how do i solve this please? Right click on the text box with your bullet points and go to Custom Animation and Add Entrance Effect. If you need more specifics than that, let us know what version of PowerPoint you are using. --David -- David M. Marcovitz Author of _Powerful PowerPoint for Educators_ ...

Cell.Text different from Cell.Value when dates are concerned...
A company I work for is using Excel to export and import data into other parts of the program. User A will export data into an Excel file and give it to User B who then imports that Excel file into their database. Since there are several Memo/Text fields in the data, the entire export is done doing automation writing each field's value cell by cell. Recently, we have discovered that in Excel 2007, although the Cell's Text field say 1/1/1900, when we query the Value property of that cell it reads as 12/31/1899 12:00:00 am. I could understand the date-time portion of this,...

How to redisplay the text field based on a stored ID field
I stored the ID of a lookup table for Salutation as a foreign key in my People table. I did the same thing with a suffix lookup table. I am trying to produce a concatenated Salutation Firstname MidName Lastname Suffix based on my people table, however, it will only show the stored ID Number. Could someone show me the proper way to query this. I have setup relationships from the Suffix and Salutation tables to the foreign keys in the People table, and I was able to get the salutation to display as text...when I look at the sql view, it seems to me that my problem is that the...

Date value in cell with text
I would like a cell in Excel 2000 to have some text plus today's date, like this: "Total orders as of 3/09" I was able to pull the current date with =NOW() and right clicking the cell and choosing the date to look like 3/09 I was thinking that my formula should look like ="Total orders as of "&NOW() Any thoughts? ="Total orders as of "& TEXT(TODAY(),"m/dd") -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <tonyrulesyall@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e37153e1-42c4-4dce-892f-ed1362033ec3@41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... >I...