if statement with text

I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
total in text leave blank

help
0
jerry (163)

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total", A1)),"",-yourCalculation-)

FIND returns #VALUE if "Total" is not in A1
Therefore, ISERROR returns False if "Total" is in A1 (i.e., it was found, no
error)

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
> total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
> total in text leave blank
>
> help

0
JunkGeorgeN (154)
6/23/2005 10:23:47 PM
George,

I was so close! Thanks !

have a great afternoon/eve

"George Nicholson" wrote:

> =IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total", A1)),"",-yourCalculation-)
>
> FIND returns #VALUE if "Total" is not in A1
> Therefore, ISERROR returns False if "Total" is in A1 (i.e., it was found, no
> error)
>
> HTH,
> --
> George Nicholson
>
> Remove 'Junk' from return address.
>

> "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create an if statement where the string of text contains
> > total, if yes then perform calculation base on that row and column. if no
> > total in text leave blank
> >
> > help

0
jerry (163)

Autofit/Text Wrap
I have two sentences typed in a cell which has been formatted to autofit row height, and wrap text, and yet the cell will not adjust to two rows of typing, a total of 32 words, or a total of 146 characters including spaces. I don't think that's too much to type in a cell in Excel. Any ideas? One can only guess what the problem is. But I suspect the spreadsheet might be protected. >-----Original Message----- >I have two sentences typed in a cell which has been >formatted to autofit row height, and wrap text, and yet >the cell will not adjust to two rows of typing...

TEXT Function: please help
I have a sheet that keeps track of MAC to IP adresses. I've created a formula that will output the required format for DHCP server import. The formula was quite long and it was suggested to use the TEXT function . Thanks to Bob Phillips and my friend LavaDude my rather legthy formula has been reduced to the folowing, but it doesnt work correctly. =IF(D2="","","host"&L2&IF(C2="","",".")&IF(OR(B2="",B2>30,),"",B2&"-")&C2&"{ hardware ethernet "&TEXT(D2,"...

Counting text in a column
I used to think I was good at Excel until this stumped me. I have a column with a variety of text in each cell. Example: A1 bob bob ted ted ted charley charley charley charley, etc. Is there a formula or way I can take the whole column of data and hav it come back with something similar to: bob = 2 ted=3 charley=4 etc. for all the variables in the column? Please help, I am dying over here -- prom4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prom4x's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2901 View this thread: http://www...

Formatting text and date together
How can I format a cell to hold text ("Last update:") and a date whic is obtained from another cell? The Formula reads something like +"Las update: "&f2. The date comes out as its numerical value. Is it possible. Thank -- Brisbane Ro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Brisbane Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2509 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49227 Use the text function to format the numeric component to suit your needs, along the lines of ...

getting editbox text
Hello, Is there easy way to get address url entry from that edit box in IE? I can get current url displayed but don't know how to get what user type in before navigation. thanks ...

Printing Statements?
I'm a new user. Printing my first statements. How Do I get rid of the Minimum Payment field or change the amount to show the current balance? -- JD Hi JD - Thanks for your note. In order to modify the account statement, you will need to modify the XML file. The file name and path can be found in Store Operations Administrator, in the Configuration dialog, Templates tab. Typically, the file is Statement.XML and is located in c:\program files\microsoft retail management system\store operations\receipt templates folder. Once you find the file used for your account statements, locate...

a long thread of if-then statements
Hi. I'm using MS Excel Xp. Here's my problem: :confused: I have a large flatfile of our sales people and I need to do a pivot table on them. but before that, I need to create a new column which contains certain tiering of their earnings. For example: Name: Earnings Tier Person A $5000 $0 - $10,000 Person B $34,500 $30,001 - $40,000 Person C $1M $990,000 - $1,000,000 Person D $2.5M $2,490,001 - $2,500,000 The column "Tier" is the one I need to create. How do I create a long IF-TH...

Problem when converting handwriting to text
Hi, I have a tablet, Motion Computing LE1700, with Windows 7 Professional 32 bits English. I installed Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 in Spanish. I take notes sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. I thought that OneNote could convert handwriting to text in English and Spanish but it is only working in English. When I try to convert handwriting in Spanish (choosing Spanish as main language) OneNote does nothing. No error, no messages, absolutely nothing. The same behavior happens with OneNote 2010 Beta Spanish. Is it correct? How could I convert Spanish handwriting to te...

highlighting text box if...
Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date is past due? If so, how? Thanks for the help, Scot -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn, WA Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200712/1 Never mind... I have tunnel vision right now. I figured it out. Thanks spcscooter wrote: >Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date >is past due? If so, how? > >Thanks for the help, > >Scot > -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn...

In Excel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text?
In Exel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text? Select the cell you want to format. Then, go to the Format menu, choose Cells, then the Font tab. There, check the "Strikethrough" checkbox. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "E.Walsh" <E.Walsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BD0B20E-DE93-4F5F-90F8-83CF908C622C@microsoft.com... > In Exel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text? ...

Sorting by Text field of numbers
I am using Access 2003. I have created a database to help me files by "Lot#'s". Our lot numbers for one of our products is all over the place so I created the Lot # field as a text field. Ex: 02-01-01, 10000272925, 10-06-02-04-06 and 1503011 A1-02. Why does access put - 1000272925 before 10-06-02-03-05? Does this look right to anyone? My thinking is that "10" comes before "1000272925". What affect does the "-" have in sorting the numbers. Would I be better off to put a space instead of the "-"? Can anyone help me ...

Attn Publisher Users: Setting your Text Defaults!
Ok, wanna know how to save your text defaults for all future publications for Publisher 2002/2003. We have just discovered that you do NOT need the add-in that we developed. This feature has been there all along, since Publisher 2002 as a matter of fact. The Normal.pub feature (like the normal.dot feature in Microsoft Word) is actually present in these last two versions. Yes, it has been there all along! Thanks to Alex at Microsoft, as he was kind enough to point out after all these years that it truly does exist. I have created a tutorial, which is very simple: http://www.publishermvp...

Yahoo text has multiple deletions since '08 Word was installed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I've probably made some basic error with installing Office: mac 2008. Since doing so, I can't read much of anything on Yahoo. Many letters are missing; some are squished together. Is there are a problem with font compatibility? I'd welcome any suggestions on how to fix the problem. Otherwise, I'll need to uninstall and try again, which I suppose is not a bad initial strategy. Please help. Simply shut the computer down, turn it off, then restart. When you restart, you force a rebuilt of the font caches, ...

How do I prevent pictures form moving when adding text?
Right click the picture, format picture, Layout tab, Object position, change to exact. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA35218F-D1FA-4691-B01E-3D50B2AF3FA9@microsoft.com... > Is there a way when inserting pictures and clipart of have them all wrap the way you want when you bring them in. Some option or setup or something for when you insert pictures? Everytime I insert pictures I need to change the wrap. "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Right click the picture, format picture, Layout t...

Change of text or background color doesn't change on the screen.
In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen. Any ideas? An idea, yes: may be the conditional format. If for example the cell is supposed to become red when the value is null, and the value is null, then it will stay while the condition is true. Even if you change the "regular" color (it will appear only when the condition is false) Under Options, View, Colour is Colour set to 'Automatic' ? Does this happen on any specific sheet or in all sheets, in an specific ...

Text over a picture
I am trying to put text over a picture. The picture is in place, then I put a text frame over it. The " fill" covers up the picture and I can't figure out how to make the text over the picture, but still see all the picture . It is a black and white picture and the letters are going over a black part so I was the text white so it shows up, but I can't figure out how to do it. Basically in the end I am trying to make the picture look like a watermark behind the text. Help! What format is the picture? The text box can be made transparent, select the box, ctrl + t. ...

Advanced month deposit should be shown in the statement after PTR
Posting for Kenny Wu Of Professional Advantage PTY LTD. Details: After running PTR on a given cut-off date (e.g. 8/31/2007). Transaction's Apply date field like 9/31/2007 should still be shown in the RM statement eventhough you have posted them on or before the PTR's cut-off date. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-...

Sort numbers with text in ascending order
I am having a difficult time sorting the following list: MY List How Excel Sorts I Need 2148-00 1472-00 171B-00 1480C-00 1480B-00 171C-00 1480B-00 1480C-00 1472-00 1472-00 171B-00 2148-00 171C-00 171C-00 1480B-00 171B-00 2148-00 1480C-00 I have tried formatting numbers as text and other options. I am at my wits end now. Is this sort even possible? Please help. Tania TVOUK Where is the logic to your sort please? If you can identify that then a sort may be possible! ...

Locking a Text Box
Hi all, hope someone can help with a text box locking problem. I need to lock a text box on a switchboard so that it can not be deleted by someone else. I am designing a database for a friend's work but want my name and address in a text box as the designer on the switchboard to remain. I know that my friend will make changes and there is little I can do, but I don't want my name and phone number deleted from the switchboard. Is there anything that I can do. Thank you for any help you can give. Maurita Searcy I'm afraid there is no way to allow someone to change some aspects...

Highlighting text problem!!!
In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are ...

Get space between a checkbox and text in a CButton with BS_AUTOCHECKBOX
Hi, I have created a CButton with BS_AUTOCHECKBOX style and I would like to be able to resize my control to fit the text. So I know how to calculate the text width but how can I know the space taken by the checkbox + the space bewteen the checkbox and my text ? THe way I solved this was to create, on my dialog, a button which had no characters in it, just the space. This was a hidden, disabled control. Then I used this to get both the height and the width I needed for the basic button and added to the width the GetTextExtent value. This is the safest way to create buttons, because you c...

IF or SUMIF to bring back text?
I am trying to match departments which have two different titles. For example, there are 50 departments that are futher classified into 150 sub-departments. I do have the data showing departments and their corresponding sub-departments in two columns. On another sheet there are only sub-departments and I need to assign the corresponding department name. I have tried IF and SumIf but neither works. Basically, I need a formula to match the text and bring back the text for the sub-department. Thank you. sounds like you need VLOOKUP "Valerie" wrote: > I am...

If Statements #3
Hi all I am new to this, can someone, please help me with this. I wont to now how to evaluate two or more logical conditions if they are true or false using if functions for example. If total purchases in A2 are greater than $7000.00 deduct 15% from those purchases and if purchases are greater than $5000.00 deduct 10% of purchases otherwise purchases stay the same. How would I do this if funtion, Please, maybe use a or somehow? Cheers Mark -- burkey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ burkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

If Statements in Access
Hello I am currently using the following IF statement in Excel however i will need to convert it so that it will work for me in Access =IF(Expiry Date<>"",IF(Expiry Date <Todays Date,"Cease Working ",IF(todays date> Expiry Date -60,"Submit New Application"," ")),"") Can someone please help Thanks Longbeach LongBeach, I take it you're updating a text control with text according to the value of [Expiry Date] vs. the current system Date... And, you don't need the If [Expiry Date] <> "". If it's...

Pasteing In text into a current text box
When I cut text from a website and attempt to paste it into a current text box, Publisher 2003 defaults to create a new text box instead of inserting it into the preexisting one. How can I fixt this? Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. Secondly when you copy a webpage you are copying HTML. Use menu EDIT > Paste Special > Unformatted Text or paste into Notepad which will remove all the formatting and then re-copy and paste into Publisher. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: > Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. ========...