if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.

I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity.  Then I have a
summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month.
Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual
average for each entity, just one line per entity.

My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A.  I have a formula averaging the
numbers from worksheet A.  Jan-Mar is done.  But the rest of the year hasn't
happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!".  I have already put in
all the formulas for the year to be done with it.  But I don't want all these
"#DIV/0!" to appear on the spreadsheet, it makes it look bad.  I want those
cells to appear blank until there are actual numbers to be averaged, so the
formula can show a real result, not some goofy looking err-type message that
junks up the spreadsheet.

dividing by something that isn't there IS an error, and Excel shows it as
such, regardless of what you think about it.

You need to change all the formulas to check for 0.  =IF(A1=0, "", B1/A1)
something like that.

"JudyK" wrote:

> I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity.  Then I have a
> summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month.
> Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual
> average for each entity, just one line per entity.
>
> My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A.  I have a formula averaging the
> numbers from worksheet A.  Jan-Mar is done.  But the rest of the year hasn't
> happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!".  I have already put in
> all the formulas for the year to be done with it.  But I don't want all these
> "#DIV/0!" to appear on the spreadsheet, it makes it look bad.  I want those
> cells to appear blank until there are actual numbers to be averaged, so the
> formula can show a real result, not some goofy looking err-type message that
> junks up the spreadsheet.

Seperating worksheets
I have a workbook with about 15 worksheets in it. Is there a quick way to automatically seperate all 15 into single workbooks. or do I have to go 1 by 1? Thanks, Steve Hi Steve Try this macro It will save each sheet in a seperte wornook in C:\ Sub test() Dim a As Integer Dim wb As Workbook Application.ScreenUpdating = False For a = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Count ThisWorkbook.Sheets(a).Copy Set wb = ActiveWorkbook wb.SaveAs "C:\" & wb.Sheets(1).Name & ".xls" wb.Close False Set wb = Nothing Next a ...

too many different formatting cells
I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too many different formatting cells. How to resolve this and open this document? Maybe... XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up version. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD jo wrote: > > I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too >...

Use cell value as cell address
Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I have added. The second sheet, "Names" in the book contains a single column - A - of 7,500 names. I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3. How do I do this please? Richard --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi tr...

How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.
Hi all. I am a noob when it comes to Excel, so I hope there is some of yo gurus who can help me out with a probably trivial problem. Thing is, I have a program that automatically logs data to a CSV file All the data is added sequentally to the file. If I open it with Excel it looks like this: Code ------------------- VarName TimeString VarValue Test_tag_00 20-10-2005 13:41 1 Test_tag_01 20-10-2005 13:41 2 Test_tag_02 20-10-2005 13:41 3 Test_tag_03 20-10-2005 13:41 4 Test_tag_00 20-10-2005 13:48 1 Test_tag_01 20-10-2005 13:48 2 Test_ta...

Preventing extra Worksheets when drilling down in Pivots?
Is there a way to prevent the creation of a new worksheet for a drill down, unless I want it to stay in my workbook? it drives me nuts deleting all those extra worksheets that get automatically created everytime I double click on the data when I just to take a look. Thanks so much. Maybe you should use a Userrform with a combobox to store your lists. http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway "STILLA" wrote: > Is there a way to prevent the creation of a new worksheet for a drill down, > unless I want it to stay in my workbook? > > it drives me nuts deleti...

Formulas showing in cell???
I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit i (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. How can I make the formula go awaw and simply show the results whic when edited the results shows correctly? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi probably the cell is formated as 'Text' change the cell format to 'General' and re-enter your formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit it > (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. >...

data entry on multiple worksheets
I have a book with one master worksheet and then several other worksheets with data from the master. Is it possible to have the data I enter or update on the master to automatically populate the correct information into the other worksheets, even though the other worksheets store the data on different rows than the master? Hi you could use cell links such as ='master sheet'!A1 in your target cells -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "diosdias" <diosdias@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A674ACB3-C5F7-477D-954E-561B85FF705E@microsoft.co...

How to get total "conditional sum of cells" in a column?
Hi all, I have dollar amounts in one col, and status in another. I want the sum of those dollar amounts where the corresponding status cell is empty (blank). How do I do this? Thanks for any hints, cdj Status in Column A and dollar amounts in Column B: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="")*B2:B100) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruitfly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc08584b-1338-4b3f-8ab3-cc3e1602e581@n1g2000prb.go...

How to only "paste values" of cells that are not "hidden"?
Hello, In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, and I need to copy columns A and C and paste values into another Excel document. How can I do that? When I select columns A and C, copy and paste values, the other document contains columns A,B and C, instead of just columns A and C. Thank you! Don't drag-select, control-click A and then C, for scattered-selection. Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:33:01 -0700, Sam <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, &g...

how do i copy a formula when cell references r not together
in cell reference H5 i have a formula H4*H3, I have copied this formula through to DG5. In cell reference H7 I have a formula H6*H3 which i have also copied through to DG7.I have formulas right down to cell reference H299 (H298*H3) Is there a quick way to repeat the copy bearing in mind the cell references are not together ie H5, H7, H9 and so on. Jon, Copy cells H6:H7, then select H6:H299 and pastespecial formulas. Just make sure your formula is =H6*$H$3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "jon104" <jon104@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDAB488A-5CDA-47A2-AD...

Scrolling through cells
I'm having trouble scrolling through the cells using the arrows. When I was typing in a cell I used to be able to press one of the arrow keys and it would automatically go to the next cell. Now when I press the arrow key is sticks the next cell in as part of a formula. I'm not sure what's happened to change this. Can anyone help???? thanks :) You are probably in Extend mode. This happens when you press F8. It shows "EXT" in the Status bar (to the right) Press F8 again to deactivate this. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "alice" &l...

Overwriting a cell with a formula without deleting the formula
Hello. I am creating an Expense Report worksheet and have created a simple formula that will calculate mileage based on total miles. Below is my worksheet data. A B C D 1 Expense Type Acct. Code Total Miles Amount 2 Airfare 11111 $250.00 3 Mileage 22222 20 $10.00 I am trying to figure out a way to create a conditional formula so that IF Expense...

Highlight changes within cell
Good morning! Using Excel 2003 I need to highlight the changes I’m making within a cell. For example: In cell B2, is the customer’s original order quantity of 200. I revise it to show 225 and I’d like the cell to be highlighted in yellow. I can then copy and paste the info into an email to show the customer which items have been revised. I’ve tried using Track Changes, but it seems that I have to click on the Track Changes button each time I open the workbook. It also doesn’t keep the revision highlighted for a copy and paste. I have 20+ worksheets within the workbook an...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

deleting duplicate cells
I am back again... Thanks to everyone's help here last time, I was able to finish all my work and do it correctly. Ken- I asked last time i was here about deleting duplicate cells. Some of the names(address, etc) are repeated in my sheet. I want to delete the extra cell of the people who are in here twice. Not jus the cell but their record, name, address, city, state zip when they are in their twice so that they will only be listed once. You told me how to do this once but i cant find where it is on the board. Thanks for all the help.... BR4 -----------------------------------------...

Bug? Multiple values in merged cells
I found that merged cells can contain multiple values. Steps to reproduce: Type 1,2,3,4 in a1:d1 type sum(a1:d1) in e1 Select a1:b1 and merge Warning : MultipleData, overwrite? Say yes to merge Select the merged a1:b1 cells Copy Select c1 PasteSpecial Formats No warning.. no overwrite. c1:d1 are now merged BUT d1 still contains a value... and the SUM of a1:d1 = 8 !! Also happens with FormatPainter etc Behaviour observed in xl97,xlXP and xl2003 Error checking will find no fault in the sheet... and you can spend ages to find out WHY your cross sums dont match! (although now that i fou...

Find Blank Cells
I wish to replace the blank cells in a large database with a zero (0). I cannot figure out how to find a blank cell using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu. Can anyone show me the way? Hi Peter, I always use CTRL+H to bring up the find and replace menu, leave the fine part empty, and put in what you want to replace it with....however, I do notice you say in a "database"? Do you mean in Access?? Dave M. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Exc...

COLOUR CHANGE IS A CELL
Cyber taz What I am trying to do is use say a red coulured cell but when text is added to the cell it changes colour to green. The other thing if possible a drop down menu in a cell so when clicked on it offers three of four selection For example today tomorow yesterday day after And once one wes highlighted it would show in the cell. Thankls for your help it is really apprereciated. You can use data validation to create a dropdown list in a cell. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Mav wrote: > Cyber taz > What I am...

conditional sums and multiple criteria
Please help: I'm working on an award tracking system for individual girl scouts and a summary sheet that lists if each scout earned an award and the date it was awarded. I'm trying to calculate how many awards to purchase and need to count the number of completed awards only if date awarded field is blank. I've tried COUNTA, SUMIF, and keep coming up with errors. Do I need to combine functions? If so, how do I do this on the function bar? I'm a newbie and am not yet ready to get into VBA. Thanks! EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com To...

CSV file with 13space characters in blank cells
In my office we've just received a recurring report which has been modified (by someone. Previously (a CSV file) the Data area (say A1:M30 ) had numbers or blank cells representing 0 (zero) values. Now, however the blank cells ARE NOT BLANK (although they appear blank) all cells without numbers have 13 hard-space values in them, which is causing #VALUE! problems; I temporarily added an intermediate sheet with formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MySheet!B2)),MySheet!B2,0) to eliminate the #Value! problem; Is there a better way? I'm sure there is, just not certain at this point in time. Any ...

Split worksheet?
Hi guys - I have a problem with Excel and I don't know what the feature is called so please stay with me whilst I describe it! In the very top left of the sheet (beneath the Name Box) are two numbers in boxes side by side. They are labelled one and two, and when I click on them it either hides every-other line or shows them. There is a new bar down the left of the screen with + signs that you can click on to expand individual lines, or minus signs that you can click to hide them again. This happens when I export from the database I'm using to excel, and the data on the "sub"...

Hidden Cells #2
I have user who has a spreadsheet and the cells on colum A appear to be empty. However when you click on a cell, the information appears above in the field where you can change text. That field has a lower case fx in front of it. Anyhow I think the user clicked a setting the hides the information in the cell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi Anthony Maybe the font is set to white -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91D96835-23ED-4985-BE65-45187475EE03@microsoft.com... > I ha...

Server list blank when launching GP Utilities
We just installed GP 9.0 on a new workstation. When we try to launch GP Utilities, we do not see our ODBC connection in the list of server names. The list is blank. We did create the System DSN correctly. Any ideas? Are you logged in as an administrator of that machine? Usually when you create a system DSN as a non-administrative user, for some strange reason Windows will let you continue with the procedure, but will not save the connection. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster a...

worksheets vs. templates
Hello, I am an excel newbie. I am using Excel 2000 and cannot find any templates installed on the system which I am using (which is a public system that I do not own). I would like to know what the difference is between an excel worksheet and an excel template. Thanks, John Goche A template is a workbook that you can use to create a certain look and feel for specific tasks, and when you open that template a new workbook is added with all of its attributes. -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "John Goche" <johngoche99@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:...