i want to open a second workbook automatically when i open the fir

both work books are in C:\
the master workbook name is test
the slave workbook name is data

--You can open multiple workbooks and save as workspace .xlw. Opening this
workspace would open all linked workbooks.

--VBA method...Set the security level to low/medium in
(Tools|Macro|Security). Open master workbook. Press Alt+F11 to launch VBE
(Visual Basic Editor). From the left treeview search for the workbook name
and click on + to expand it. Within that you should see the following

VBAProject(Your_Filename)
Microsoft Excel Objects
Sheet1(Sheet1)
Sheet2(Sheet2)
Sheet3(Sheet3)
This Workbook

Double click 'This WorkBook' and paste the below code to the right code pane.
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Workbooks.Open Me.Path & "\data.xls"
End Sub

Save>Close and re-open master file..which should open the data.xls from the
same folder

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"swain.s@blueyonder.co uk" wrote:

> both work books are in C:\
> the master workbook name is test
> the slave workbook name is data
Include the following event macro in the workbook code area of the test
workbook:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Workbooks.Open ("C:\data.xls")
End Sub

Because it is workbook code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tiny Excel icon just to the left of File on the Menu Bar
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (workbook code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"swain.s@blueyonder.co uk" wrote:

> both work books are in C:\
> the master workbook name is test
> the slave workbook name is data
'run-time error 1004' comes up

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> Include the following event macro in the workbook code area of the test
> workbook:
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> Workbooks.Open ("C:\data.xls")
> End Sub
>
> Because it is workbook code, it is very easy to install and use:
>
> 1. right-click the tiny Excel icon just to the left of File on the Menu Bar
> 2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
> 3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window
>
> If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.
>
> To remove the macro:
>
> 1. bring up the VBE windows as above
> 2. clear the code out
> 3. close the VBE window
>
> To learn more about macros in general, see:

> To learn more about Event Macros (workbook code), see:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm
>
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu200909
>

> "swain.s@blueyonder.co uk" wrote:
>
> > both work books are in C:\
> > the master workbook name is test
> > the slave workbook name is data
You didn't post a response to the last suggestion at your other post.

swain.s@blueyonder.co uk wrote:

> both work books are in C:\
> the master workbook name is test
> the slave workbook name is data

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You didn't post a response to the last suggestion at your other post.
>
> swain.s@blueyonder.co uk wrote:
> >
> > both work books are in C:\
> > the master workbook name is test
> > the slave workbook name is data
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .

That wasn't the last response.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
      Workbooks.Open Filename:="D:\lorne stewart\timesheet\2008\data.xls"
End Sub

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> That wasn't the last response.
>
> swain.s@blueyonder.co uk wrote:
> >
> > 'run-time error 1004' comes up
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > You didn't post a response to the last suggestion at your other post.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > > .
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .

Did you try recording a new macro when you do it manually?

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you try recording a new macro when you do it manually?
>
> swain.s@blueyonder.co uk wrote:
> >
> > this code worked before but now it dosn't i found it in a previous timesheet
> > vba
> >
> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> >       Workbooks.Open Filename:="D:\lorne stewart\timesheet\2008\data.xls"
> > End Sub
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > That wasn't the last response.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > > .
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .

Help...........record a macro

Note the part about adding the Developer Tab to the Ribbon.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:08:02 -0800, swain.s@blueyonder.co uk
<swainsblueyondercouk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>how do i record a new macro msoffice excel 2007
>

>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> Did you try recording a new macro when you do it manually?
>>
>> swain.s@blueyonder.co uk wrote:
>> >
>> > this code worked before but now it dosn't i found it in a previous timesheet
>> > vba
>> >
>> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
>> >       Workbooks.Open Filename:="D:\lorne stewart\timesheet\2008\data.xls"

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson
>> .

0
Gord
11/30/2009 11:34:21 PM
i am giving up on this project as i can't seem to get the answer that i need
to get it to work

"Gord Dibben " wrote:

> Help...........record a macro
>
> Note the part about adding the Developer Tab to the Ribbon.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:08:02 -0800, swain.s@blueyonder.co uk
> <swainsblueyondercouk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >how do i record a new macro msoffice excel 2007
> >

> >"Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try recording a new macro when you do it manually?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Peterson
> >> .
> >>

> .

Opening Word
When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a header - on the page. I want it to open with a completely blank page with my default margins and type style. Thank you See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:46:01 -0800, heread <heread@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a hea...

No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook??
I Created a spreadsheet with over 200 Worksheets inside and I wrote a macro that basically formats each worksheet after I'm done put all the info that I need (text, number, and graphs) I'm like half way through and I an error telling me "No More New Fonts May Be Applied in this Workbook" is there a way to ignore this message cause it's cause my macro to stop and debug... -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200701/1 See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/215573 -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps f...

Automatically finishes entering email into TO box
How do I tell MS Outlook to automatically finish entering into the TO box (sending email)when I begin typing the person to whom I am sending mail? thanks! What version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gem asked: | How do I tell MS Outlook to automatically finish entering | into the TO box (sending email)when I begin typing the | person to whom I am sending mail? | t...

How to parse message automatically
I want to use a rule to parse the information in emails from a specific email address, convert the content into a MS Word template format, and then email the document as an attachment to an email address that will be one of the "fields" in the received email. Anyone who has had experience with anything like this? Thanks You may need to use VBA, but take a look at www.ornic.com - exlife might do what you need. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www...

Automatically fill down formulas when adding a record
I have a data entry sheet which receives one record per row. Some of th columns contain calculated fields and will be hidden. Is there a way t have the formulas automatically fill down when new records are added Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use Excels built-in dataform. data>form -- John johnf 202 at hotmail dot com "steveski >" <<steveski.11dx8c@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:steveski.11dx8c@excelforum-nospam.com... | I have a data entry sheet which receives one record per row. Some of the | columns con...

Applying same macro to all worksheets in workbook
HI, I am trying to find an easy way to apply a macro that changes the absolute value of a couple of cells and changes some plot formatting to all sheets in a workbook. All sheets are the same and need the same macro applied to them, I have recorded the macro such that I can click on a worksheet and hit a keyboard command to execute this, but I have to individually select each worksheet and repeat this throughout, how can this be automated? Thanks, Josh Rewrite the macro so it takes a worksheet as an argument. Then write a second macro that iterates your worksheets and passes them one at...

Outlook Not responding when I open it despite reboots
My outlook 2002 on my laptop with XP will not start. The window opens and it tries to get my mail but locks up and says this program is not responding. On the error message that it wants you to send to microsoft the following is listed: szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0. szModName: hungapp szModVer: 0.0.0.0. offset: 0000000 I have shut down the network, rebooted multiple times, virus scanned, etc. and it still won't work. Was working fine when I went to bed last night. HELPPPPP!!! Pleaseee!!!! Can't do my business without my email. THanks Holly ...

I haven't opened it
Somehow all messages hitting my Inbox are showing as opened. I am running on Exchange 2003 and also use Good Software to push email to my phone. Also shows as opend on my phone. As far as I know I am the only person in the organization that this is happening to. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:29:08 -0700, "NOBI" <NOBI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Somehow all messages hitting my Inbox are showing as opened. I am running on >Exchange 2003 and also use Good Software to push email to my phone. Also >shows as opend on my p...

Toggling "Shutter Bar Open-Close Button"
I have looked but can't find a way to control Toggling "Shutter Bar Open/Close Button" within a module. Any ideas? Additionally, I would be interested in expanding and contracting what is visible in the Shutter Bar (Navigation Bar). ...

Files will not open.
I loaded Pub 2003 but cannot open previous Pub 98 files. Noton Virus is not the problem as the prevoius Pub 98 files as Norton was not installed. Greetings, I wanted to provide a bit more information on my problem. I have 2 computers, one with Publisher 98 and one with Publisher 2003. I have a bunch of files made in Publisher 98 that won't open in Publisher 2003. When I try and click on a publisher file or open the file from within Publisher 2003, I get the error "Publisher cannot open the file". The files are not corrupted during the copy process, because if I copy them ba...

more rows highlight than I want
2010 Excel version. I sometimes am working on the spreadsheet and all of a sudden I click one row on the side and three or four rows are highlighted and the highlighted rows will not go away. If I press another row there are still the other highlighted rows. Hi, Two suggestions. First tap F8 and see if the problem goes away. Second there is a know bug in E2007 and this 'may' also be in 2010 but I not seen it posted. In E2007 for no apparent reason multiple cells get selected instead of a single cell, if you alter the zoom level up and then back to normal the problem...

Open Office and Microsoft Works
How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office instead of Microsoft Works' when trying to open an XLS file? As it stands the latter automatically opens it. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and IE 8. The reason: the file doesn't open properly as is, IOW a calendar shows up in sections of four and incomplete as such. TIA, Harry. "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OU2jlY#lKHA.4148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office > instead of Mic...

Resizing "comments" boxes in a workbook all at once
I do not know how I did it but all my comments (about 200 of them) defaulted to a size that makes them almost invisible with only the tails showing. The only way I can resize them is by going into each one and change the shape. I gave up after about 50 and I am now desperate for the information contained in all comments boxes. Is there a way of making all the boxes the same size in one go? How did I manage to screw up and how do I avoid doing it again. Thanks Rita You could resize them programmatically. There's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Re...

Outlook 2000 slow at opening new emails
Hello... We have a WinXP Pro laptop on a NT network with Outlook 2000 on it, the laptop has a standard network conection and syncs emails when off-line. It also has a bluetooth connection, but the default connection is a standard network port. When a new email comes in and the user tries to open the email Outlook hangs. We did do a system restore which seemed to help but the problem comes back again. No new software had been added so I'm not sure why a system restore worked, initially. Could it be something to do with the network connection and email sync...or what? It's the company ...

custom color palette does not get transferred with the workbook. Excel 2003
Scenario:We use a custom color palette with predefined company colors, and excel 2003. Default workbook has also been modified to replicate colors to new workbooks - located at %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\workbook.xls NOw the problem: When users create a workbook based in the default and email it to outside users who does not have the custom color palette defined as default, the colors change - custom palette disappears and workbook shows excel default colors,sometimes making the document very difficult to read. Also, if we email the document back to the origina...

i want to mail merge 1 address per postcard 4 to a page,
I have postcards preprinted on one side. I have made a publication using mail merge to add addresses. But I have 4 postcards on a page when I do the mail merge I am getting 4 postcards with the same address. How do I get one address per card but do 4 to a page? What version Publisher? In some earlier versions the print preview showed all the addresses the same, it was/is a Publisher bug. In Publisher 2007, once you have your postcard created --- File, print merge, on this screen, select multiple copies per sheet and landscape. There is a print preview on this screen. -- Mary Sauer ...

External Links on open and Excel 2003
I am opening a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that contains links to external sources. This spreadsheet was created in Excel 97. When I open it, I am prompted to update or not update. I choose don't update, as I don't have the linked files. BUT, it seems that Excel tries to update anyway because it is the same result as if I hit update, and all of my values are gone. This seems to be a change from excel 97 as excel 97 left the values. Any ideas? I likely have a default setting incorrect somewhere. Thanks! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ khoff Wrote...

Enable automatic refresh
I do have an exel sheet with a automatic query. I changed to a new computer and when I open the file now, it always asking "Enable automatic refresh" or "disable automatic refresh". I already removed the "v" by the Options on the Edit-page by "Ask to update automatic links" and by Calculation, it did put a "V" by "Update remote references". Still it always ask to confirm to "Enable" or "Disble" when I open the file again. How can help me out? Thanks, Marc ...

Open Publisher 2003 in Publisher 2000
I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office where we have Publisher 2000 and find I can't open it. Is there anything I can do to open it? Save as... a 2000 document at home. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Nalp30" <Nalp30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4002B348-7FF3-4CB0-A53E-1115001605CE@microsoft.com... > I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office > where we have Publisher 2000 and fin...

Opening file from an item loses Word document properties
Hello, I have just discovered that when you double-click a Word file attached to an appointment item (although I imagine it will be the same for other items too), Outlook does not open the actual file, but takes a copy and puts it in the temp folder and opens that. This is a pain as it mucks up some of the automation coding I have done, but what's worse is that the copy doesn't seem to have the custom properties I have set. Is there any way of forcing Outlook to open the original, instead of a copy? Failing that, any ideas why the custom document property would have been lost...

Extract Final Row Mulitple Excel Files into Combined Workbook
Hi, Not sure if anyone can help on this, but I am completely struggling with VBA and have been looking through threads to try and find a solution. I'm trying to open multiple excel files by looking at a specific directiry file and then locate the final row and extract the data into one spreadsheet. I think I've managed to produce a VBA to look at multiple files but the rest.......help ! Can anyone help? Regards, Paul Holmes range("A65536").end(xlup).entirerow.copy destination:= activeworkbook.close get the next workbook "londonpaul" <paul.holmes@scottwilso...

Putting symbols automatically
I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? i.e. 123-23 to "*123-23*" Please help. Thank you. Maybe a helper column: ="*" & a1 & "*" And drag down. Ted S wrote: > > I have a spreadsheet I created with a thousands of number codes. Now I need > to put "* to the beginning and *" to end of the code. How can I do this? > > i.e. > 123-23 to "*123-23*" > > Please help. > > Thank yo...

Importing transactions from second money file?
I found a backup file of all my accounts in Money deluxe 2003 up until last year (probably 5 years worth of financial info). My present money deluxe file starts at about 6 months ago but includes all the same accounts-maybe under different names. How do I import the old information into my present account? Using the import function, I have to choose a specific account (like checking for instance) to import all the data into. How do I import all of my different old account transactions into all of the same accounts in my present file? I want the checking info in the old back up file to g...

I want to make a VBScript to control Windows Media Player
Hi all, I'm able to control WMP through the shell but I think is not the cleanest solution. Can anybody help me on how to make the VBScript to use the WMP Activex or COM automation? I've found some reference about Player object and WMPLib but so far I've been getting compile or run time errors. the actions I want to do are: 1. Open the file I want to play 2. Start play 3. wait 10 seconds. 4. Pause/Stop play 5. wait 10 seconds. 6. return to step no. 2. I would appreciate your help very much. Regards. -- God grants us all at the cost of effort. Il giorno Wed,...

help needed! can't open my pst file
hi.. need your expetise... :) im really desperate to open my pst files. im having a hard time to open it. i encountered errors when opening the file. like: this file is not a personal folders file. i already tried to run scanpst.exe, but no good. tried to import/export files but really cant get through. even tried the data file management option.. but still no luck! :( need help... please.. i can send you the file to try it on.. :) please advise.. thanks in advance, bambz Sorry, but the most basic information is missing - version of Outlook and where the .pst file is stored. --� Milly ...