i lost my menu bar in excel

I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file, toolbars,
or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
anything to it.  Can anyone help?
Brian
0
bgertig (1)

hi,
Go to View>toolbars
Click the toolbars you want. this will get your tool bars
back but i don't know what made them disappear.
Regards
Frank

0
anonymous (74722)
10/26/2004 4:57:11 PM
Hi Brian,
In case if Frank's solution doesn't work because you can't get to the menu
bars at all try this earlier post by Dave Peterson:

Close excel
windows start button|search/find
look for *.xlb
rename all of them *.xlbOLD

then reopen excel and test it out.

If it worked ok, search for *.xlbOLD and delete them.

If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb.

"bgertig" wrote:

> I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file, toolbars,
> or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
> anything to it.  Can anyone help?
> Brian
0
mzehr1 (59)
10/26/2004 5:19:07 PM
Thanks for the try.  Neither one worked.  I have no menu bar, so no file tab.
 I did the search, and it came up with one match at Excel, but no individual
files.  When I open that I get a grey screen that says "Microsoft Excel" at
the top; everything else is blank.  ????

"mzehr" wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> In case if Frank's solution doesn't work because you can't get to the menu
> bars at all try this earlier post by Dave Peterson:
>
> Close excel
> windows start button|search/find
> look for *.xlb
> rename all of them *.xlbOLD
>
> then reopen excel and test it out.
>
> If it worked ok, search for *.xlbOLD and delete them.
>
> If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb.
>

> "bgertig" wrote:
>
> > I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file, toolbars,
> > or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
> > anything to it.  Can anyone help?
> > Brian
0
Brian8214 (439)
10/26/2004 6:13:04 PM
Just one more step: if it didn't work, you may have to delete the new XLB file
that Excel created before you can rename.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:19:07 -0700, "mzehr" <mzehr@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi Brian,
>In case if Frank's solution doesn't work because you can't get to the menu
>bars at all try this earlier post by Dave Peterson:
>
>Close excel
>windows start button|search/find
>look for *.xlb
>rename all of them *.xlbOLD
>
>then reopen excel and test it out.
>
>If it worked ok, search for *.xlbOLD and delete them.
>
>If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb.
>

>"bgertig" wrote:
>
>> I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file,
toolbars,
>> or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
>> anything to it.  Can anyone help?
>> Brian

0
anonymous (74722)
10/26/2004 6:18:10 PM
Brian,
Sorry to hear it isn't working.
You might want to try to follow this lin
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=missing+menu+bar+group:*Excel*&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=26&as_minm=10&as_miny=2002&as_maxd=26&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2004&selm=410246CE.A7224861%40msn.com&rnum=25

Beyond that I am at a loss as to how to further direct you.  Maybe someone
else has run into this.  Perhaps it is a registry issue??

Best wishes.

"brian" wrote:

> Thanks for the try.  Neither one worked.  I have no menu bar, so no file tab.
>  I did the search, and it came up with one match at Excel, but no individual
> files.  When I open that I get a grey screen that says "Microsoft Excel" at
> the top; everything else is blank.  ????
>

> "mzehr" wrote:
>
> > Hi Brian,
> > In case if Frank's solution doesn't work because you can't get to the menu
> > bars at all try this earlier post by Dave Peterson:
> >
> > Close excel
> > windows start button|search/find
> > look for *.xlb
> > rename all of them *.xlbOLD
> >
> > then reopen excel and test it out.
> >
> > If it worked ok, search for *.xlbOLD and delete them.
> >
> > If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb.
> >

> > "bgertig" wrote:
> >
> > > I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file, toolbars,
> > > or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
> > > anything to it.  Can anyone help?
> > > Brian
0
mzehr1 (59)
10/26/2004 6:37:08 PM
Actually if you just lost the toolbars, and immediately are aware of the
fact,  you would not close excel but
open your   .*.xlb    file with Excel still open to replace what you are
using with what you had when you previously used Excel.(when Excel last opened/closed)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toobars.htm#emergency

Once you've closed Excel,  you would want to try to find out what you had
done and correct that, if possible,  before resorting to renaming your
*.xlb file and having Excel create a new one.   All of your toolbar customizations
and your own icons, and menus are stored in that file.   You should be
including it in your backups.
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

But from what you describe possibly you are in  Full Screen mode
    View,   click on Full Screen mode    to turn on or off
---
HTH,

"mzehr" <mzehr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3444D5C-618D-4062-B337-C5BF16829080@microsoft.com...
> Hi Brian,
> In case if Frank's solution doesn't work because you can't get to the menu
> bars at all try this earlier post by Dave Peterson:
>
> Close excel
> windows start button|search/find
> look for *.xlb
> rename all of them *.xlbOLD
>
> then reopen excel and test it out.
>
> If it worked ok, search for *.xlbOLD and delete them.
>
> If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb.
>

> "bgertig" wrote:
>
> > I have lost everything at the top of my excel page.  No edit, file, toolbars,
> > or anything.  The shortcut keys seem to work.  I don't remember doing
> > anything to it.  Can anyone help?
> > Brian

0
dmcritchie (2586)

lost history
I did not back up Microsoft Money for about 5 months. When I backed it up this month I lost all my history. I don't have the past 4 months, nor the most of last year. I only have this month, May '04 and November '03. I know I was foolish not to back it up, but does any one know how to find the history I lost????? Sean Are you sure you did a backup and not an archive? BTW what Money version? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.m...

Line graphs; excel 2007
I have a simple line graph - and I'd like to shade in the area btwn the two lines only (not the whole background of the graph). Any suggestions? Apply Fill Color Between Lines in a Chart http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=590 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ MK09 wrote: > I have a simple line graph - and I'd like to shade in the area btwn the two > lines only (not the whole background of the graph). Any suggestions? ...

Excel 97 #11
How can I change a spreadsheet , so that it opens on sheet 1 every tim someone goes into it , when working on the spreadsheet, it will ope the last page that a save was done on. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Your 1st question. Save at the sheet desired or use an auto_open macro in a regular module or a workbook_open event in the ThisWorkbook module that uses sheets("yoursheetname").select -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "EADesktop >" <<EADesktop.163m60@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:EADesktop.163m6...

100% Stacked Bar chart, two bars, want percent as well as real value
I am attempting to chart the following: Series 1 - Values over the prior 30 days Series 2 - Values over the prior 12 months I would like to show both data series as 100% bar charts, so users of the information can compare percentage of the last 30 days with percentage of the same piece of data over the last 12 months. So, for example the two data series might look like this: Series 1 20 25 45 65 Series 2 211 324 403 822 I want to display both the actual value, and the percentage of the total, for each series, in the labels. For some reason, showing percentage is not an option. Why is th...

Adding a column in Excel 2007
Have a column with letters in it. Want to sum up how many of one letter I have in the column. What is a formula to do this please To count the number of cells that equal X =countif(a:a,"X") To count the number of cells that have at least one X in them: =countif(a:a,"*X*") nip wrote: > > Have a column with letters in it. Want to sum up how many of one > letter I have in the column. What is a formula to do this please -- Dave Peterson On Dec 10, 10:44=A0am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote: > To count the number of cells that eq...

excel process in the background
I'm trying to find a way of updating the excel spreadsheet without the excel application coming up on the users PC. We are getting input from the WEB and using that input to run a model and capture the data in an excel spreadsheet. Then manipulate the spreadsheet and create a summary Word document that will be emailed to the user. Then the user will be emailed with the summary data from the excel document. The thing is that this will be running on some server and I don't want the excel spreadsheet or application to actually come up on the PC. How can I suppress the applicati...

Is is me? Or is Excel 2007 Charting Lame?
Maybe I'm missing something. If so, let me know. The process of creating a chart is unintuitive and cumbersome. A big step backwards from 2003. The manual says to just select your data and insert the chart. What I find is that 95% of the time, I have to re-do the data selection. If I highlight two columns and insert the graph, Excel thinks both columns are two different series instead of x and y axis. I create two columns, label one of them "X", one of them "Y". Put some numbers below that. Now insert an XY chart. One would think that it could figure out "...

EXCEL 2003
hi Im performing Logical boolean operations using MS Excel. The only problem is that its displaying result set as "TRUE/FALSE" and I want to have the result in binary. Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? please tell me ASAP. thank "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? =--(A1>A2) returns 1 for TRUE and 0 for FALSE. Similarly for =1*(A1>A2) "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Shared use of excel work books
Hi, Can anyone tell me "if I have an excel workbook (with multiple worksheets that report to the first worksheet) on a shared drive whether it can be set up for multiple users to access it and use it at the same time?" These users will be accessing their single worksheet to update it periodically with the first worksheet being the project leaders sheet where he gets to see all the other worksheets on his one sheet. -- Ian Hi Ian, You can do this by selcting "shareworkbook" from the tools menu and checking the 'allow changes by more than one use'. Beware th...

Microsoft Excel ASC II Text Files
How do I convert an Excel spreadsheet into this type of file in order to import to another program such as "MaiList & AddressBook" Hi Bill try saving as 'CSV' file in the Save As dialog. This is a comma separated text (ASCII) file HTH Frank Bill Cadwallader wrote: > How do I convert an Excel spreadsheet into this type of > file in order to import to another program such > as "MaiList & AddressBook" ...

excel #136
I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they won't popen I'm not familiar with Quantrum Pro. What does it do? "Liz R" wrote: > I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they > won't popen ...

Excel worksheet merge
Hello all, I have searched google, but to no avail. Here goes. I have one set of excel worksheets (one is an exact link to the other) that I copied four times for a total of five. I moved the 1st worksheet of each to an individual folder. So what I am left with are the 5 link worksheets. Can I merge the links together? I have an Access db that I will use to process the info. I have linked the links to an Access db and it works. Except I have 5 dbs instead of the one that I really need. The fields are the same in all linked dbs. My question is- should or can I merge before access and i...

Excel Services Publish
I have a 64 bit client (Windows Server 2008) and my colleague has Windows 7 64 bit client. We are trying to publish an Excel 2007 document to MOSS, which is running under https, and is sitting on a 64 bit operating system. We keep getting the "File Not Saved" error when we try to publish from our clients. However, a 3rd colleague has Windows XP 32 bit and can publish the same exact Excel files just fine up to the very same MOSS location we tried on the 64 bit clients. Can someone from MSFT confirm that this is an issue with 64 bit clients? Can you present a solut...

Excel pivot tbl
Brand new laptop w/Windows XP. Has Office 97 installed (first), than complete install of Office XP(second). Than install of PTSfull.exe (pivot table services that come w/ sql server analysis services service pack 2). Go to data manu - PivotTable and Pivot Chart report - External data source/Pivot table - Get Data - OLAP cubes - new data source - select an olap provider for the database you want to access - blank dropdown (no Microsoft OLEDB Provider for OLAP Services or Microsoft OLEDB Provider for OLAP Services 8.0). Tried removing Office 97 & Office XP than installing PTS - sa...

Date formatting in Excel #2
How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. Hi When no year is typed, excel would assume it is the current year. You would ahve to type the full date (including 2004) for it to display as Oct 2004. Use Format - cells - date and then select the particular format you want from the options there. >-----Original Message----- >How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I >type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. >. > ...

retaining fonts when placing excel worksheet into pagemaker?
I am currently placing excel worksheets into Pagemaker software. I am having particular trouble with retaining the fonts in the text cells. When it appears in pagemaker the spacing is wierd and the numbers eg.(12/8) are crammed together. I used excel 2003. I am not a pagemaker wizard soooooooooo please help. Cindy I think PageMaker will let you Edit-->Paste special-->as a picture, won't it? Sorry, it's been a long time... ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "parrydise" <parrydise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Templates Excel XP
Where can I find templates to download to Excel XP. I'm looking for templates for both business and personal use http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "sfrich1" <sfrich1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7C932BB-3DE7-440C-B4E0-511EC8527F07@microsoft.com... > Where can I find templates to download to Excel XP. I'm looking for > templates for both business and personal use If you forget the address in the future, go to Excel's menu, and select Help | Microsoft Office Onl...

Excel macros page breaks but not on row 1 and column value in footer
Hi, I have seen some posts that are similar, but no one seems to have the problem that I am having. I will post my macro in this, for anyone that is interested. My users get a csv file every month, and we have to clean it up. This macro does that. My last issues are this: 1) having the spreadsheet create page breaks whenever the value in column B changes. Below is just that code. Code: col = 2 LastRw = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count For X = 2 To LastRw If Cells(X, col) <> Cells(X - 1, col) And Cells(X, col) <> Range("B1") Then ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks...

When Excel Opens it Starts with Book2
Anyone know why excel would open to book2 and not book1. Hi Tracey! This means that a file with the Book1 name has already been saved. Find it using Start > Search > For Files and Folders Check the contents and either rename or delete. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. ...

Does Pocket Excel run VBAs?
I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? Hi F Chuck! Sorry but Pocket Excel does not support VBA. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "F Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:076601c3c44f$78706c40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work > in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? ...

Override Paste menu in CEdit
How do I override the Paste command in a CEdit control? Basically I want to look at the clipboard and if it is a certain format, paste it in a special way, otherwise I just want to call the normal paste. I have subclassed the CEdit, and tried to hook it in place of the regular CEdit, but my OnEditPaste method doesn't seem to be getting called. Jonathan Arnold "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold_online@insors_comm.com> wrote in message news:%23czgzh$REHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How do I override the Paste command in a CEdit control? Basically > I want to look at the c...

Using Excel error #N/A in a formula
I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the correct syntax to capture the #N/A error message and display "OK" instead of #N/A? =IF(ISNA(MATCH(C1,Range,0)),"OK","STOP") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement. > >Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the...

"freeze panes" in excel '97?
A colleague of mine has the Excel version '97 on his computer and would like to know if you can also freeze panes in his version (he has a Dutch version) at home. My English excel 97 certainly has a Freeze Panes option under the Windows menu. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Jolanda van Tuijl" <Jolanda van Tuijl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A7A47F-2054-4FB7-BA3F-9800947C332F@microsoft.com... > A colleague of mine has the Excel version '97 on his computer and would like > to know i...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

tab order lost on disabled button
Hi, I have set the tab order for al controls I have in the dialog. The problem appears when tabbing into a button which gets disabled as soon as you clicked on it. The focus doesn't show up on the next button how it was specified by tab order. How can I set focus on the next button, after I have lost it on that disabled button? Thank in advance for your suggestions, Aurora "Aurora I" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:eWO4A4r3DHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have set the tab order for al controls I have in the dialog. The problem > appears when ...