Hyperlnk to a cd-rom folder

How but a exel file that has hyper links to the folders on that cd rom with out naming a drive letter since everyone has a different drive letter for their cd rom???

Thanks
0
Ginger (20)

The excel workbook is stored on that same CD?

If yes, this worked ok for me in xl2002 and using my harddrive (not CDROM).

File|properties
Hyperlink Base:
\
(just the backslash)

Then I could insert hyperlinks via Insert|Hyperlink and just leave the drive
letter off.

If the workbook is not on the same cd, you could have a file on the cd to look
for, search the CDdrives and determine the drive letter.  Then have your macro
loop through your hyperlinks and change the drive letter.

This picked out the CDDrive with the file "readme.txt" in the root directory.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

'    Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
'    Dim myDrive As Scripting.Drive
    Dim FSO As Object
    Dim myDrive As Object

    Dim myDriveLetters() As String
    Dim myDriveLetter As String
    Dim dCtr As Long
    Dim iCtr As Long
    Dim resp As Long

    Dim TestStr As String

    'Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

    dCtr = 0
    For Each myDrive In FSO.Drives
        'If myDrive.drivetype = CDRom Then
        If myDrive.drivetype = 4 Then
            dCtr = dCtr + 1
            ReDim Preserve myDriveLetters(1 To dCtr)
            myDriveLetters(dCtr) = myDrive.DriveLetter
        End If
    Next myDrive

    If dCtr = 0 Then
        MsgBox "Couldn't find the CDROM Drive--quitting!"
        MsgBox "ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    myDriveLetter = ""
    Do
        For iCtr = LBound(myDriveLetters) To UBound(myDriveLetters)
            'I wanted to use this, but it tried to access my
            'CDROM with nothing in it
            'If FSO.Drives(myDriveLetters(iCtr)).IsReady Then

            'so I used this.
            TestStr = ""
            On Error Resume Next
            TestStr = Dir(myDriveLetters(iCtr) & ":\readme.txt")
            On Error GoTo 0
            If TestStr = "" Then
                'do nothing
            Else
                myDriveLetter = myDriveLetters(iCtr)
                Exit For
            End If
        Next iCtr

        If myDriveLetter <> "" Then
            'found it
            Exit Do
        Else
            resp = MsgBox(prompt:="Put in the CDROM or Cancel", _
                       Buttons:=vbOKCancel)
            If resp = vbCancel Then
                MsgBox "ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False"
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
    Loop

    'now do something to point at the link using that drive letter.
    MsgBox myDriveLetter

End Sub

Those lines that look like:
MsgBox "ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False"

should really look like:
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

But it's a pain to have the workbook close without saving during testing!

(I read your message incorrectly the first time.  But since I did all that
!%!@#ing work, I'm gonna post it!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Importing data into public folders
I am trying to get my old calendar data into a public folder i can copy the items one by one but that is taking to long is there anyway to get a pst or data file into a public folder I know i can copy the calendar folder into public folder but then it has a folder inside of a folder just trying to create one calendar folder "TOG2005" wrote: > I am trying to get my old calendar data into a public folder i can copy the > items one by one but that is taking to long is there anyway to get a pst or > data file into a public folder In news:0797FD35-C581-48A4-9E15-D5AEFB...

Exchange OWA question
All, Two questions on OWA: 1. Do I need a Front End server to enable OWA from outside for my users? I only have one Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003. 2. When I access OWA from inside my network, the public folders are view on a different screen. I am not able to use the move items option to move or copy items from my inbox to a public folder as they are not available in the Pick Folder list. Can this be changed? Thanks, Rafael 1. No; OWA can run on that server - but be cautious in allowing connections to the server. I'd be sure to use SSL connections only. 2. I thin...

Undelete emails & folders in a PST file
Hello, is there any tool or any feature that would allow me to undelete emails & folders I deleted in a PST file ? I was looking at a folder and I moved this folder by mistake to the recycle bin of my PST file. Then right away, I've made the bin empty before I understood my mistake !!! Any hint would be greatly appreciated as I'm really in a bad shape. I've lost hundreds of critical emails ... Olivier / Thank you I'm using Outlook 2003 Haven't tried this, but see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm Olivier wrote: > Hello, is there any tool o...

Auto Archive into a Public Folder
Can Outlook 2007 be configured so that auto archiving is done into a folder within the Public Folder system? No. Autoarchive uses pst files only. I think Auto-mate (http://www.pergenex.com/auto-mate/index.shtml) would be able to move to a public folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT....

How can i move the Winsxs folder
Hi all, We have a windows 2008 server (not a dc) running exchange 2007. All databases and log files are on the d and e drives. We have a 40 GB C parition with a windows folder of 18 GB, 3 Gb in Software Distribution and 9 GB in Winsxs. Is there a safe Microsoft approach for moving these folders to a different partition or reducing the size. I have found a few things on Google but none of them are approved by MS. thanks Stef Hello stef, No, you have leave the folder where it is. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" w...

sync. backup folders...
I am using exchange and outlook 2003. My boss is using her Treo phone which I was able to sync. with her outlook mail, calendar and contacts. Everything sinycs. fine except contacts sub folders. For some reason it sync. some of her sub folder backup contacts and not the original sub folder. Any idea? By the way, she is using another computer at home and connects through VPN to access outlook. "Dooma" <nowhere@noway.com> wrote in news:OYE8zfpUGHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl: > I am using exchange and outlook 2003. My boss is using her Treo phone > which I was able...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Public Folders Won't Replicate
I have two exchange 2003 servers running SP 2 and am trying to replicate the folder hierachy from one server to the other. I have all the folders setup to replicate to both servers (SERVER1 and SERVER2). I have turned on message tracking and diagnostic logging as specified in the troubleshooting articles in the knowledge base. The replication message is sent from SERVER1-IS@mydomain.com and received by SERVER2-IS@mydomain.com, however the diagnostic logging shows no events related to the messages. In essence, SERVER2-IS receives the message but never processes it. The original server ...

Delegate / Other Users Folder Problem
We are experiencing some problems trying to read another users email. Scenario: Bob has just been delegated access to user Steves Inbox, Calendar and Tasks by Steve (himself) adding Bob to the delegate list and granting him "Reviewer" access. From his own Outlook, Bob goes to File > Open > Other Users Folder > Steve (picked from the list) Bob can now see all Steves Inbox. He can even open some of the Email in Steves Inbox. But when he tries to open some email he gets the following message: "Cant open this item. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this ...

Public email folder foldername@ourdomain.com
I am trying to create a public mail folder that will accept mail addressed to foldername@ourdomain.com but so far have not been able to get it to work. The furthest it seems to get to being delivered in message tracking is "Message submitted to categoriser" I am sure I have had it working before but it is eluding me. What steps do I need to perform to set up this kind of folder? Ensure that the permissions on the PF are set with the appropriate permissions to allow for either anonymous if you want it to receive internet email or default for internal users. James Chong (MVP) MCSE ...

Finding, Comparing folder names then opening explorer
Hello i tried posting this earlier, but something seems to be wrong with either my browser or the site, so... i have a project where i have a field that stores the serial number of a product. i need to take the field, trim it to 5 characters and then use it to search a folder and all the subfolders, trimming thier names to the first 5 characters, and then capture the full name of the folder, and use that to open windows explorer at the found folder. so if i have a field with the value "08003" and i want to find that sub-sub-subfolder in the folder "c:\WO\" and then...

Disabling the open other user's folder feature
We are using Exchange 2003 and have notied that there is a "feature" that allows any user to open another user's folder without having to grant permissions for this. I mean any user can pull over any other user's inbox contents or calendar contents. For us, a financial institution, this is a huge security risk. Even after using an explicit deny permission on a user mailbox we are still able to access the inbox from the denied account. Microsoft has little on their knowledge base about this except to say that, for some insane reason, administrators are denied from ...

Global folder views in OL2002?
I'd like to set all my mail folders so that they have the same columns, same column widths, and same preview pane height. Is this possible? Thanks. Use View | Current View | Define Views to create a custom view for all mail folders, with your preferred settings -- you'll then be able to apply this view for each mail folder as you use it. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:03a801c3c59b$4d8ec1f0$a101280a@phx.gbl, meb wrote: > I'd l...

sharing inbox sub folders
Hi all, Is there a way to share all the sub-folders below my Inbox without having to go into each one? I have about a 100 sub-folders. I have given the user reviewer permission on my mailbox root and editor permission on my Inbox root. But she still cannot see my inbox sub folders. I have tried to use Delegates, but I get an error message regarding Delegates page not available, Exchange server cannot be contacted when i access that tab. I am online and connected to the server. Please help! ...

Temp file folder?
I'm using xp and OE6 I d/l'd aWHOLE bunch of encoded mp3files. During the compile and decode process my pc crashed. I suspect I have a WHOLE bunch of temp files somewhere. that I want to clean up. Any idea as to their location? Regards, Lawrence L Mossford <lmossford1@shaw.ca> wrote: > I'm using xp and OE6 Wrong newsgroup. > I d/l'd aWHOLE bunch of encoded mp3files. During the compile and > decode process my pc crashed. I suspect I have a WHOLE bunch of temp > files somewhere. that I want to clean up. Temporary Internet Files, perhaps? -- Brian...

Public Folders + Hiding
Hi Peeps, I have a bit of a problem with a Public folder I want to hide it the from all uses and then allow only certain users to see it in the list. To do this I would usually go on to the properties of the public folder in ESM, permissions, Client permissions. I would then proceed to set both the Default and Anonymos accounts no access and untick the folder visible box. This I can confirm hides the folder. However when I explicitally add a user to the client permissions and give them editor permissions and make sure the folder is set to visible they cannot see it. The only way around...

Saving presentation for CD
I have a presentation with pictures and music to run automatically. It operates just fine in the original file. When I attenpt to package fro burning unto a CD it doesn't save the same as it is in the original. Any ideas? "Angel" <Angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B12959A-FCFB-4A4E-BAC9-0BA9F168FB3C@microsoft.com... >I have a presentation with pictures and music to run automatically. It > operates just fine in the original file. When I attenpt to package fro > burning unto a CD it doesn't save the same as it is in the original...

Burning photos onto CD
When I burn photos onto CD the media player appears to finalise or close the disc so that when I try to burn more photos onto it, it ask me to insert a writable disc and I cannot add more photos, even though the disc is not full. How can I stop the media player finalising the disc? On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:30:01 -0800, Ricardo <Ricardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I burn photos onto CD the media player appears to finalise or close the >disc so that when I try to burn more photos onto it, it ask me to insert a >writable disc and I cannot add more photos...

How to restore a deleted Folder
Hi I have accedently deleted my receiving folder. Is it possible to restore it. If yes how can I restore it. Thank you -- Viper It should show up as a subfolder of your Deleted Items folder then unless you've already confirmed it to delete it permanently. Restoring methods completely depend on your version of Outlook and type of mail account that you are using. Restoring from backup will always work of course. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://ww...

How can I password protect a folder?
File--> Save As Tools--> General Options "NSharp" <NSharp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F35CB4CC-727D-4E00-B312-5620CE8D2C6F@microsoft.com... > Windows XP, like other sophisticated operating systems, does not provide permissions this way. Permissions are based on users and user groups. In XP Pro, make a new user group and call it something useful ("Sekrit") and assign users to that group. Don't forget to assign yourself! Then set permissions on the resource (folder) only allow members of the Sekrit group read/write or whate...

setting the same choice and order of the fields in all the folders
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C422DC.8D05E5E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do I set the same choice and order of the fields in all the folders? For the moment the View settings apply to a particular folder and I have = to set them manually in every folder. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C422DC.8D05E5E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <...

Log files in the srsdata folder
How can I clean out these .log files. They are taking up like 4 gigs and I dont think this should be happening. Is there a why to clean out these log files? LOCATION OF FILES C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\srsdata Thanks Hi, To purge all these log files you should take regular Online backup of your database... You can use ntbackup for the same.. Regards, Mukesh "Donnie Barnes" wrote: > How can I clean out these .log files. They are taking up like 4 gigs and I > dont think this should be happening. Is there a why to clean out these log > files? > > LOCATION ...

showing unread items in public folder
I setup some public folders on my exchange 2003 box. This folder has an email address associated with it, which accepts mail. I noticed in the properties for the folder there is an option to "show number of unread items" or "show number of total items". These two options are greyed out for me. Any idea how to enable these options? thanks! Sean ...

Vista keeps chainging my folder view
I go into a folder and get the following colums Album Artist, Genre, #, Rating. I don't want any of this rubbish. I only want date Modified which is missing. I remove this and put in Date Modified. Next time I go to my PC they are back again and Date Modified is gone WHY WHY WHY. Desmond. Des wrote: > I go into a folder and get the following colums > Album Artist, Genre, #, Rating. I don't want any of this rubbish. I > only want date Modified which is missing. I remove this and put in > Date Modified. Next time I go to my PC they are back again and Date > M...

Different standard folders for email delivery and calendar?
Hello, Outlook uses the standard folder for email delivery (e.g. a pst store or an Exchange account) also to keep the "Standard" calendar. I want to use different stores for these folders, e.g. an pst store for my standard calendar and an exchange store for my standard email delivery. Is there any way to achieve this? I am desperately looking for a solution since I only need one calendar but I have several Exchange accounts. It's a hassle to move all appointments around. Thanks Roland No, are these mailboxes all within the same organization? Then set permissions an...