hyperlinks from a list? using excel 2000

     jacob

      Okay, I'll get right to the issue.

      I'm using the List feature of Data Validation in A1, with a range of
      names on the Z file. The list contains a name and telephone number and
      email address. What I'm trying to do is insert an email hyperlink in
      that same cell so when a List item is chosen from the drop down list,
      you can click on A1 to send an email address. The email hyperlink
would
      need to change along with the name.
      I don't think this will work, so what about creating a clickable link
      in A2 that changes with the data that is displayed in A1?

      My last resort would be to create a pivot table, which I am TERRIBLY
      inexperienced at doing.

      Please help!

      -Jacob

begin 666 dot_clear.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

0
jfarino1 (38)

You could use a formula to display the hyperlink in an adjacent cell.
For example, with the data validation list in cell E2:

   ="Mailto:"&HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(E2,$A$1:$B$100,2,0),E2)

where the list of names and email addresses is in A1:B100

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/17/2005 11:17:26 AM
Your formula created a link for me, but it didn't look like a link
(blue/underline).

This does the same thing and looks like a link:

=HYPERLINK("Mailto:"&VLOOKUP(E2,$A$1:$B$100,2,0),E2)

Actually, the "mailto:" portion shows up in Debra's formula, but not in that
second version.

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> You could use a formula to display the hyperlink in an adjacent cell.
> For example, with the data validation list in cell E2:
>
>    ="Mailto:"&HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(E2,$A$1:$B$100,2,0),E2)
>
> where the list of names and email addresses is in A1:B100
>
> jacob wrote:
> >      jacob
> >
> >       Okay, I'll get right to the issue.
> >
> >       I'm using the List feature of Data Validation in A1, with a range of
> >       names on the Z file. The list contains a name and telephone number and
> >       email address. What I'm trying to do is insert an email hyperlink in
> >       that same cell so when a List item is chosen from the drop down list,
> >       you can click on A1 to send an email address. The email hyperlink
> > would
> >       need to change along with the name.
> >       I don't think this will work, so what about creating a clickable link
> >       in A2 that changes with the data that is displayed in A1?
> >

> >       My last resort would be to create a pivot table, which I am TERRIBLY
> >       inexperienced at doing.
> >

> >       Please help!
> >

> >       -Jacob
> >

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
4/17/2005 1:15:54 PM
I got the blue underline with my formula (Excel 2002), but yours, with
the hidden MailTo, is better.
(Pre-caffeine. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Your formula created a link for me, but it didn't look like a link
> (blue/underline).
>
> This does the same thing and looks like a link:
>
> =HYPERLINK("Mailto:"&VLOOKUP(E2,$A$1:$B$100,2,0),E2)
>
> Actually, the "mailto:" portion shows up in Debra's formula, but not in that
> second version.
>
> Debra Dalgleish wrote:
>
>>You could use a formula to display the hyperlink in an adjacent cell.
>>For example, with the data validation list in cell E2:
>>
>>   ="Mailto:"&HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(E2,$A$1:$B$100,2,0),E2)
>>
>>where the list of names and email addresses is in A1:B100
>>
>>jacob wrote:
>>
>>>     jacob
>>>
>>>      Okay, I'll get right to the issue.
>>>
>>>      I'm using the List feature of Data Validation in A1, with a range of
>>>      names on the Z file. The list contains a name and telephone number and
>>>      email address. What I'm trying to do is insert an email hyperlink in
>>>      that same cell so when a List item is chosen from the drop down list,
>>>      you can click on A1 to send an email address. The email hyperlink
>>>would
>>>      need to change along with the name.
>>>      I don't think this will work, so what about creating a clickable link
>>>      in A2 that changes with the data that is displayed in A1?
>>>

>>>      My last resort would be to create a pivot table, which I am TERRIBLY
>>>      inexperienced at doing.
>>>

>>>      Please help!
>>>

>>>      -Jacob
>>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

how to find an item in a list control?

contact list #13

learning Excel #3

using the journal on outlook

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook