Hyperlink Problem #6

Hi all,
Maybe someone can help me with a hyperlink problem we have.
We have an index spreadsheet with links to all our main documents etc. These
documents can be Pdfs, gifs Jpegs etc. I would have expected that when you
click on the hyperlink the document would open with the program associated
with the file type.
On my particular box, the image file ( gif, jpeg) open in internet explorer
although the association to the file should use irfranview, on other machine
the file opens in Irfranview.
I am not understanding why the file should open in different programs
although the file association is the same on different machine. Hope this
makes sence, thanks in advance
Murray
0
Murray (19)

When you use a hyperlink in Excel you are invoking your default browser
which will recognize    your image files mentioned.

You would not want your browser to not recognize those image files.

On the other hand you could eliminate the  Adobe Acrobat plugin from
your browser and the pdf file would be opened by the Acrobat Reader,
which would be a lot faster and provide a much better interface to a
PDF file than through your browser's view with a plugin to the Adobe
Acrobat Reader.

      =HYPERLINK("http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/icons/charmap.jpg","charmap")
      =HYPERLINK("http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mouse.txt"," mouse")
      =HYPERLINK("http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/nonesuch.nag"," nonesuch")

you will notice that all three of the above will open or attempt to open in your browser.
..jpg  defaults to IrfanView if you open from Windows Explorer
..txt    defalts to  NotePad if you open from Windows Explorer
..nag    there is no such extension registered for browser and file does not exist
---
HTH,

"Murray" <Murray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E93CA4F-3E87-4F1D-B992-FE61108E9FDB@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
> Maybe someone can help me with a hyperlink problem we have.
> We have an index spreadsheet with links to all our main documents etc. These
> documents can be Pdfs, gifs Jpegs etc. I would have expected that when you
> click on the hyperlink the document would open with the program associated
> with the file type.
> On my particular box, the image file ( gif, jpeg) open in internet explorer
> although the association to the file should use irfranview, on other machine
> the file opens in Irfranview.
> I am not understanding why the file should open in different programs
> although the file association is the same on different machine. Hope this
> makes sence, thanks in advance
> Murray

0
dmcritchie (2586)