Huge "empty" excel 97 file !!

I still have files of up to 4MB, after deleting the
contents of a 16MB excel 97 file then saving !!!

Details:-
(1)If I select the whole worksheet (by clicking on the
blank cell in the top left corner of the worksheet)
(2)then I click on EDIT and then on DELETE.
(3)repeat 1&2 for any other sheets
(4)Then click on FILE, then SAVE AS a new name
Windows explorer shows that the new file can be up to 4MB.

This is very frustrating if I am trying to reduce the size
a file so that it fits onto a floppy disc.
This problem occurs with a number of my excel files.
How can I get rid of this invisable "junk" ? and what
could be causing it?
0
Nick4562 (282)

Not sure if I really understand the problem, but,
Find the last used cell in the sheet eg HG826
In the name box, enter 827:65536
In the dark area, right click, Delete
Select column HH and scroll to cloumn IV
In the dark area, right click, Delete
Save, Exit and re-enter the file and see what size it is now,
Alan.

"Nick Fraser" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I still have files of up to 4MB, after deleting the
> contents of a 16MB excel 97 file then saving !!!
>
> Details:-
> (1)If I select the whole worksheet (by clicking on the
> blank cell in the top left corner of the worksheet)
> (2)then I click on EDIT and then on DELETE.
> (3)repeat 1&2 for any other sheets
> (4)Then click on FILE, then SAVE AS a new name
> Windows explorer shows that the new file can be up to 4MB.
>
> This is very frustrating if I am trying to reduce the size
> a file so that it fits onto a floppy disc.
> This problem occurs with a number of my excel files.
> How can I get rid of this invisable "junk" ? and what
> could be causing it?

0
alan111 (581)
10/16/2003 8:27:14 PM
Not sure if I really understand the problem, but,
Find the last used cell in the sheet eg HG826
In the name box, enter 827:65536
In the dark area, right click, Delete
Select column HH and scroll to cloumn IV
In the dark area, right click, Delete
Save, Exit and re-enter the file and see what size it is now,
Alan.
"Nick Fraser" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I still have files of up to 4MB, after deleting the
> contents of a 16MB excel 97 file then saving !!!
>
> Details:-
> (1)If I select the whole worksheet (by clicking on the
> blank cell in the top left corner of the worksheet)
> (2)then I click on EDIT and then on DELETE.
> (3)repeat 1&2 for any other sheets
> (4)Then click on FILE, then SAVE AS a new name
> Windows explorer shows that the new file can be up to 4MB.
>
> This is very frustrating if I am trying to reduce the size
> a file so that it fits onto a floppy disc.
> This problem occurs with a number of my excel files.
> How can I get rid of this invisable "junk" ? and what
> could be causing it?

0
alan111 (581)
10/16/2003 8:28:32 PM
repeat step 1

(2) click on Edit-->Clear-->All
if that doesn't work
(3) click on Insert-->Name-->define and delete any named
ranges.
if that doesn't work
(4) press F5-->click on special-->Objects and then hit
the delete key.
(5) File-->Print Area-->Clear Print Area
(6) Tools-->Macro and delete all macros

If this doesn't fix it, pour water on your computer. ;-)

0
anonymous (74722)
10/16/2003 8:40:19 PM
If you type Ctl End to you find that it brings you far
below the area that is actually being used?  When this
happens I find that if I go into VBA (Alt F11) and type
Activesheet.Usedrange in the immediate window (you may
need to go to View to make this visible) then hit enter
the end cell is reset to reflect the true end of the used
area.  If this works you may want to use this macro to do
all your sheets.

Sub UsedRange()

For Each s In Worksheets
    s.UsedRange
Next

End Sub

0
anonymous (74722)
10/16/2003 8:44:48 PM
Can you delete the sheets that are empty?

Are you sure that there are not sheets that are hidden?

The sheets with data/formulas may have extra formatted
cells.  If you hit ctrl-end, this goes to the last cell
thath has data / formatting.  Is there data?
Highlight ALL the rows that don't have information and
delete them, then all the columns that don't have data and
delete them, then save and hit ctrl-end.

If your file is still too large for a floppy, what about a
CD?  Or maybe its time to winzip it (you can find that on
the internet for free, if its not already on your machine)?

0
anonymous (74722)
10/16/2003 8:48:37 PM
Debra Dalgleish has some techniques for resetting this last used cell at:

And just a word of warning--use that floppy disk for transportation only.  Copy
it to a harddisk/LAN Drive before you open it.

(Files opened directly from the floppy have been known to get corrupted by
office programs (and probably other programs as well).)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

If there is a chart in the worksheet and I perform my
steps (1) & (2), the charts dissappear but are NOT
deleted. They are still there with all the data
intact!!! , hence the file size problems I was having.

I'm not very impressed with Microsoft and their knowledge
base.
I'm sure lots people must have had this problem before!!

0
anonymous (74722)

Sorting and empty cells
I want to sort by a number of columns without the result grouping those rows with empty cells. The empty cells are spread over a number of rows and columns. Terry, > I want to sort by a number of columns without the result > grouping those rows with empty cells. Then you will either need to sort by smaller groups or come up with some logic of how to deal with the empty cells. Usually, in cases like that, you can use a formula in another column, and sort based on the formula. Or, you can change which column is your primary/secondary/tertiary sort key. HTH, Bernie Excel MVP "T...

find a non-empty cell
Dear experts, what is the quickest VBA way to determine in a big cells range if at least one of them is non empty? Many thanks for your help! Best regards -- Valeria Does this help.. Set varRange = Selection.Find("*") If Not varRange Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Data exist in this range" -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Valeria" wrote: > Dear experts, > what is the quickest VBA way to determine in a big cells range if at least > one of them is non empty? > Many thanks for your help! > Best regards > > -- > Valer...

Numeric empty fields (System Configuration)
Hello, When installed CRM we got number configuration different from the one that we use in our systems. So, we tried changing that configuration but when we did it CRM just undo the change and got back to the wrong configuration. Looking at support.microsoft.com I found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921547/en-us. We applied the solution described there and we changed the number configuration successfully. However, after that change, we are unable to enter values in numeric fields on any crm form. When we enter any numeric value CRM just clean the field in...

Empty rows
When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the report (the last typed row)? Connie Hi clear your used range first: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Connie Martin" <Connie Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:61708D1A-8D45-4213-A35A-54953A8C90E5@microsoft.com... > When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes > to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the re...

Reports and empty lines
How do I manage to not leave an empty line if the field is empty. For example I have : Name Address Apartment City Province Now if the Apartment filed is empty I do not want an empty line. I want the City line at it's place or to move up. How do I do that ? Thank you -- eric Set the Can Shrink property to Yes. -- Build a little, test a little. "ericb" wrote: > How do I manage to not leave an empty line if the field is empty. > > For example I have : > Name > Address > Apartment > City > Province > > Now i...

Empty cell 0
Mental block. Isn't there any easy way to fill all empty cells with "0"'s? -- DQ1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DQ1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26841 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401137 DQ1, Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = 0 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "DQ1" <DQ1.1uoqyg_1125587111.4633@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:DQ1.1uoqyg_1125587111.4633@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Mental block. Isn...

Exchange 2003 in Empty Root forest scenario
Hi, If anyone could help answer a couple of questions I have that would be great. Our company is going to deploy an empty root scenario for our AD/Exchange implementation. We will use "company.inc" as the empty root, and each branch office/location will be "branch.company.inc". Each Exchange server in their respective domain will send/receive their external domain email. What I would like to know is how the Exchange installation will work in this scenario. Do we need to install Exchange on a server that is joined to the empty root and then install each seperate E...

Converting Empty Table to Zeros
I have an one line subreport based on a table that will on ocassion, not have a row. I wish to place a 0 in the fields if there is no row returned. What's the most direct way to accomplish this? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200708/1 ...

Excel file is too large even after it's empty
I deleted all sheets from my excel file. There are no VB codes associated with the excel file. I only have one sheet, with no data. However, the size of my file is still 2M. When I open an empty excel file, it's size is usually 80K Bytes. Why is my empty file too large? Why would you be concerned about the size of a Supposedly empty workbook. Delete the workbook and start a new one. >-----Original Message----- >I deleted all sheets from my excel file. >There are no VB codes associated with the excel file. >I only have one sheet, with no data. >However, the size of my f...

Lost word document: Word crashed and my auto recovery folder is empty
Version: 2008 Processor: Intel My friend has e-mailed me a document from an older version of Word (from another mac.). After modifying the document on my mac. in Word and making significant changes (2 hours of work) Word crashed and retrieved the document as I had saved it from her e-mail....with NONE of the changes that I had made. I looked in my auto-recovery folder because it was set to save every 10 minutes but there is absolutely nothing in the auto-recovery folder. Is there any chance of me recovering my document? and if so HOW???? Why was my auto recovery folder empty when it was ...

How To Delete the Empty Rows
X .. .. Y .. .. .. Z .. .. .. A .. .. B Dear Sir or Madam Could you show me how to delete the empty rows and keep the colum in the same order(As below)using the Excel Function? X Y Z A B Thanks for your help! If the cells are really empty, you could: Select the column Edit|goto (in xl2003 menus) or F5 or ctrl-g Click Special Then Blanks Then rightclick on one of the selected cells and choose Delete (and entire row--I think that's what you want). On 09/02/2010 16:27, Han wrote: > X > . > . > Y > . > . > . > Z > . > . > . > A > . > . > B &g...

Populate empty fields with a number
I have a a column which has 3 possibilites, 1,2 or 3. I have already populated fields with either a 1 or 2 based on another query. I wish to populate the remainder of fields which have no content with 3. I have tried to write the query as UPDATE dbase SET dbase.[field] = 3 WHERE dbase.[field] <> 1 AND <> 2. But this doesn't work, and have tried UPDATE dbase SET dbase.[field] = 3 WHERE dbase.[field] = "", and this doesn't work either. Data type mismatch occurs on last query. Any help would be great? Cheers -- Paul Wilson Paul, You might try: UPDATE dbas...

Cells that "appear" empty plot as zero. Do not want cells to plot.
I read thru some of the posts about plotting empty cells and can't seem to find the right answer to my problem. I have a bar chart (Jan thru Dec) which I currently show data running through June. All cells contain the same formula (therefore none are "really" empty). My formula uses the " " to make the cells for July thru Dec "appear" empty, therefore the graph is plotting these cells as zero. I know that I could use 'NA()' and force a #NA error, but I don't want that error message to appear in my cells. Is there a way to not get the ...

ImageFrame Problem with Empty Reports
I am getting this "type mismatch" error when I try to open a report that has no records. The report normally displays a picture of the client if they have one or more records in the report. If they don't, it should be able to still open the report but just show no records. I have traced the source of the error to the following code in the pageheader of my report. ImageCyclist.picture=[picpath] The [picpath] is a field inserted in the pageheader that contains the pathname or link where the picture of the person is retrieved from. How can I prevent this error from appearing?? ...

Retrieve Records if a Value is Null/Empty in SQl Server 2005
select Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4, Field5, Field6 from Mytable I need to retrieve records if any of the listed filed value is empty/null. Try (assuming empty means blank string): SELECT col1, col2, col3 FROM Foo WHERE col1 IS NULL OR col1 = '' OR col2 IS NULL OR col2 = '' OR col3 IS NULL OR col3 = ''; -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4, Field5, Field6 FROM Mytable WHERE ISNULL(Field1, '') = '' OR ISNULL(Field1, '') = '' OR ISNULL(Field1, '') = '&...

Unknown error deleted mail box is empty but shows it has mail
It says I have over 800 deleted messages, but when I open the deleted folder it is empty. When I right click and empty, it gives me the unknown error. I reinstalled Live, but that did not help. "...reinstalled Live..." Not sure which email program you are talking about, but the forum to which you posted is dedicated to supporting the Windows Mail program. You will get more help by posting that issue in the Windows Live Mail forum: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?d= g=3Dmicrosoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop Note: The abov...

Empty full sheet charts
I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 on a Vista (32 bit) machine, however, I quickly discovered that in Excel when I use the "Move Chart" option to place a chart within a new sheet of its own the tab is created as expected but it appears to be entirely empty. The chart has disappeared from its original location though. In addition, any full sheet charts within my old excel files also do not appear. Needless to say this is a major bug which renders Excel entirely useless to me. I had heard that this was a known problem within the beta but was believed to have...

Connect an empty text box before text flow
Hi, When connecting text boxes, Publisher forces the second text box to be empty, so that you can only connect text boxes in a forward direction in the text flow. Now, what if I want to add a text box before, or even in the middle of a text flow, and still keep it connected with the rest of the text? Is there a workaround? Is there a way to split a text box at any given point to two connected text boxes? Thanks. Raph Assuming No. 1 text box is the beginning... Whenever you break your connection the text will revert to the first text box. All one has to do is create another text box, lin...

How to declare DefaultValue(type, string) for an Empty Array[0]
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlArray("MenuItems")] [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlArrayItem("MenuItem", typeof(MenuItem))] [DefaultValue(typeof(MenuItem[]), "new MenuItem[0]")] public MenuItem[] MenuItems = new MenuItem[0]; I am trying to get rid of all the <MenuItem /> tags when serializing Thanks... ...

Why is my empty Excel workbook 2/3 MB in size?
Excel 2002 seems to retain tons of hidden stuff you thought you deleted from your workbook or VBA project. Two symptoms: 1. I had a 5-megabyte workbook. I: - deleted all worksheets but one - deleted all data and formatting on that remaining sheet - removed all hundreds of range names (manually, due to Excel 2002=92s notorious lack of defined-name management--which I understand has been improved in Excel 2007) - deleted all VBA modules and code - killed the workbook password, etc. My workbook is now a single empty spreadsheet. The VBA editor has no content. (The Project Explorer shows ...

deleting empty spaces
Hi, I have the following problem: I have filtered my worksheet for dubble values and now I have all these empty cells. For quick lookup I do not want that so how can I delete all these empty cell and write my unique values under each other? Thanks Michiel -- vrijbergen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vrijbergen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27757 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472802 Hi Michiel, Not sure what you mean. If you have column headers and blank cel...

binding points in a line chart when having empty cells
Hi, I need to make a linechart, but I do not have values in every cell in columns I am using. I would like the values I have to be binded together. Now they are binded if there are no emty cells between 2 points. I can not put in values in the empty cells, they have to be empty.. Hi, You can select the chart and use menus Tool > Options > Chart > Plot empty cells: Interpolated. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Ksenija" <Ksenija@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87B9C258-2684-432E-A875-B26461016DCB@mi...

Force a value into an empty query
Hi, I have a need to group a set of 4 queries into a single query. They are all very simple, short queries, being combined into a single select query. Each of the 4 returns a value against a dataset name. Dataset Value1 a 15 Dataset Value2 a 20 Dataset Value3 a 7 Dataset Value 4 a 8 So, when I combine the queries, I get the following: Dataset Value1 Value2 Value3 Value4 a 15 20 7 8 Thats great, unless one ...

Automatic avoiding empty cell
Hi, I am making templates to draw chart (scatter charts and bar charts). Scatter charts also have trendlines in them. At times I dont have value for some of the items which are used to make these (scatter)charts. This doesnot give a correct trendline since it assumes value as zero. As such I have to manually change the data source and exclude items for which i donot have a value. Is there a solution such that the excel automaticallty doesnot take the item (which doesnot have a value) to draw the chart. e.g. Margin Company A 14% Company B 18% Company C 9% Company D N/A or 0...

Deleting an Empty Series in a Chart
Hello All, I�m trying to re-use a Chart Object to dynamically display differen sets of data, using VBA. To clear the chart of one data set, before generating the next, I� deleting each data series by looping through the SeriesCollectio object, ie: For i = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.Count To 1 Step -1 ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(i).Delete Next i However, I�m encountering a problem when a series is empty (ie contains all #NA values). When the delete method is called, I ge �Run-time error �1004�: Delete method of Series class failed.� Does anyone have a suggestion for deleting an empty s...