how to use excel to do random sampling

I have a data set of 30 numbers.  I need to use excel to draw 50 random
samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample.  How do I do
this?
0
Stats (3)

if your sample is between a1:a30 and your sample between 0 & 1.
in B1 type =Rand(a1) and copy and paste the formula to B30. if your numbers
are larger than 1 then use =Rand(a1)*100. Rand() gives you random sample.

Nikki

"stats" wrote:

> I have a data set of 30 numbers.  I need to use excel to draw 50 random
> samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample.  How do I do
> this?
0
Nikki (101)
11/7/2005 8:59:59 AM
With, or without, replacement? And do you insist on using Microsoft's poor
prng, or be willing to settle for a much better one? (I'm thinking along the
lines of PopTools, a free add-in).

Finally, if you are looking for the distribution of the means, why not just
calculate it directly instead of using simulation? Your population size is
tiny; or are you just throwing out some numbers (5 of 30, 50 samples) for
the sake of concreteness?

DaveB

"stats" <stats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a data set of 30 numbers.  I need to use excel to draw 50 random
> samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample.  How do I do
> this?

Which web.config and machine.config file to use?
Hello, The CRM Performance White Paper (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6B32E0B3-5520-48A7-B3CD-D8477D084821&displaylang=en) suggested modifications to the web.config and machine.config files to lift the HTTP 2 connections limitation and fixes to other threads. The problem is there are more than one location for this file. So my question is, which web.config and machine.config file to use? 1) WEB.CONFIG file locations C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\MSCRMServices C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Rep...

excel wont open file #2
I am trying to open a excel file, but a message comes up saying th file is corrupt ,is there anyway i can open i -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Money 2007
Howdy, I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them. Can I store the main MNY file on a network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time obviously)? Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if I'd run into any problems doing it that way. Anyone know for sure? In microsoft.public.money, Mr B wrote: > > >I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them. Can I store the main MNY file on a >network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time >obviously)? Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if I...

Using an update query to update amount in stock automatically
I have created a database to keep a track of orders. In the stock table I have a field called amount in stock. In order table I have a field called order quantity. I have created an update query to update amount in stock to [amount in stock]-[order quantity]. I wish to create a macro to run the update query on my order form once the sale is confirmed. My problem is that I want to just update the single record on the order form, and not all items of stock from all existing orders. I know I can add a parameter criteria to my update query (i.e. enter order number) so that only stock relating ...

how to use excel to do random sampling
I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do this? if your sample is between a1:a30 and your sample between 0 & 1. in B1 type =Rand(a1) and copy and paste the formula to B30. if your numbers are larger than 1 then use =Rand(a1)*100. Rand() gives you random sample. Nikki "stats" wrote: > I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random > samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do > this? With, or without, ...

use picture as a button
is it possible to have a picture as a button to take the user to another page? (using a macro)? You could even assign it a hyperlink! ash wrote: > > is it possible to have a picture as a button to take the > user to another page? (using a macro)? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Hello Ash This won't turn your picture into a button, someone with more experience can help you with that but below is what I generated with the macro recoreder. HTH Mark (InWales) Sub Picture_Press() ' Picture_Press Macro recorded 14/09/04 'unprotect worksheet it doesn't appear to wo...

Sorting in excel charts
I have a chart in excel 2007 I want to sort rows 1-5 decending and rows 6-11 decending but when I select just that much and click to sort it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart I cannot reproduce the problem. When I select 5 cells out of 11 in a column Excel 2007 does not automatically change the selection. -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu ...

Excel caused an invalid page fault in module EXCEL:EXE at 0137:300
w'95 obtain this error message when opening Excel. However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? Thanks dgb Hi do you get this error in all cases?. If yes probably a re-install could help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dgb wrote: > w'95 > obtain this error message when opening Excel. > However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a > problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? > Thanks > dgb ...

Excel password #3
I forgot the password for my excel file. I have tried some programs such as Accent Excel password recovery, advance office password recovery. Neither did work. Sang. Well, your options are to either remember the password or find a recovery program that works for you. No guarantees - if you picked a really good password it will be tough to break it. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Sang-Wook...

Question on Excel 2002
I am attempting to use objects from the control toolbox (e.g. chec boxes), but I do not appear to have the "format control" option when right click on the object (an option available on the previous versio of Excel). Does anyone know if this can be added or alternate way t select this, or if such functionality now requires VBA code. Thank for you help -- case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- caser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1652 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thr...

Excel VBA Macro
Hello, I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" Please advise. Thanks Sheela Sheela, It appears correct. Although personally I would use & instead of + when concatenating. Sheela wrote: > Hello, > > I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: > > Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" > > Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" > > Please advise. Thanks > > Sheela -- Cheers Andy...

how do i add a quadratic trendline to excel
i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? im using windows XP home edition Chart|Add Trendline select a polynomial of order 2 then click on the Options tab and request that Excel display the formula. Alternately =LINEST(ydata,xdata^{1,2}) will give you the quadratic coefficients in a worksheet. Jerry moseichuk007 wrote: > i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it > seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? > im...

Import information to Excel
I have a link to transfer data from an internet resource into my excel sheet. I can only grab block of information from the webpage. Is there a way to specify the inforation I want instead of having to link the whole block of data? The reason I'm asking is when I link a block, several column of data will be imported to Excel in one column. I use "Text to Columns", but that won't help next time I refresh the data. Thanks. Jason in <get external data> if you want the tables only you can specify. If you want only one table then also you can specify. Only proble...

How do I change the size of Value Axis Title box for an Excel Cha.
The title box cannot be sized. I must reduce the font to very small to prevent truncating the title. I would have thought I could drag the box to the size I wanted but I do not get the chance to do so. Instead of a Title, you can use a Text Box: Select the Chart Type the text you want in the Title Press the Enter key A text box will appear in the centre of the chart Drag it to the location you want it, and format/resize as desired. If you prefer, you can link the text box to a worksheet cell, and display its text: Select the chart Type an equal sign Click on the cell you want to link Pr...

Help! Excel freeze the whole thing when start.
Excel problem in my office has been constantly bugging me. Now that one of the computer can even start Excel, when we try to start it, it gives something like "resource is not enough" message and then just dies there. We can even fix it by removing it and reinstall it. Any one has idea deal with this? Many thanks in advance. Pete Try cleaning up your windows temp folder. And if that didn't help, try searching for your *.xlb file. It's where excel stores your customized toolbars. Windows Start button|Find|files check out the size of that file. If it's huge, try r...

Excel guru's Urgent help
I have a bunch of charts created in Excel97 that are driven from pivot tables on another sheet. When the workbook is opened in Excel 2000 everything works fine except when you change criteria causing a macro to change the pivot tables, the source data range does not automatically reset as it does in 97. I have to manually click on Source Data, click in the pivot table, and the range is reset, fixing the chart. I don't know much VBA and I would like to hang a sub at the end of the macro that would automatically reset the source range. Can someone help with the script? I cr...

Any MSDN sample
I am currently studying MSDN samples - Driller in VC++ 6. Is there any C# version of Driller so I can download? ...

XPathNavigator not working when schema used
PLEASE HELP! I'm writing a function to populate DropDownLists from and xml file. I am having a problem getting my XPathNavigator to select any nodes when I attach a schema to my xml document. Xml Doc: Dropdown.xml XML Schema: Dropdown.xsd Here is my XML Document... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <DropDownLists xmlns="http://tempuri.org/DropDown.xsd"> <DropDownList name="DataSource"> <Option name="SqlServer" value="SqlServer" /> <Option name="Oracle" value="Oracle" /&...

Can you create a check box or radio button in Excel?
Yep. Try showing the Forms toolbar. There's a checkbox and option button on that toolbar. The control toolbox toolbar also has its own versions of these, too. sf49ers wrote: -- Dave Peterson Dave, Thank you very much for your help. "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Yep. > > Try showing the Forms toolbar. There's a checkbox and option button on that > toolbar. > > The control toolbox toolbar also has its own versions of these, too. > > sf49ers wrote: > > -- > > Dave Peterson > ...

Create an XLIFF editor using C# and .Net 3.5 technologies.
can any one please tell me how to do this one even any example or links to do will be appreciated Create an XLIFF editor using C# and .Net 3.5 technologies. Requirements: The tool should be able to perform the following: * Open an existing XLIFF file * Save the modified XLIFF file * Display the Id (read only) * Display the un-translated text (read only) * Display and edit the translated text (read/write) o Changing the text should automatically change the state to translated * Display and edit the translation state as a Boolean (is translate...

using linear / non linear graphs to extract results
Hi, A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to extract data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in a cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a graph ? If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link Thx Hi, If there is a linear relationship between X and Y use the function FORECAST It a power series is needed use LINEST - see examp...

multi formulas in excel
Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the formula I am using example: =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but what I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives me -66.7% I need the answser to be positive, example 66.7 =1-C4/C3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "the_catster" <the_catster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0710DB8F-C669-4BFF-99F2-93E46850ACEA@microsoft.com... > Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the > formula I am using e...

Excel Files Won't Open From Shortcut
The title's misleading but I couldn't find a way to express it succinctly. If I have 2 Excel windows open, with one or more workbooks within each window, and I click on an Excel file-name in Windows Explorer or on a shortcut to an Excel file-name, nothing happens. If I close both Excel windows and try it, the file will open. Or if I go to Files, Open, and Browse to the file name it will open. This is both new and a pain in the rear. As recently as 3 months ago I could open six or eight Excel files at the blink of an eye, from Windows Explorer or from shortcuts. What change...

Problem using CPropertySheet over CFormView
Hi! I have three views in an MFC SDI application, split using CSplitterWnd. And in one of the views we have some edit controls and gird controls. In the same view, on selection of a menuitem, I create a modeless CPropertySheet with two pages and place it over the edit controls. Now on clicking the property sheet, I am getting the overlapped display of editcontrols in the view. How can I avoid this. Please help. Thanking you in anticipation. Best Regards! Babu PSM Babu wrote: > Hi! > > I have three views in an MFC SDI application, split using > CSplitterWnd. > And in one ...

Office 2011 Excel Beta 3+ cell right-click context menu won't work
I've been running the beta versions of Mac Office 2011. Up until Beta 3, I could right-click in an Excel cell and get the context menu as expected. Now, starting with Beta 3 and into Beta 4, I have lost that functionality. Has anyone experienced this? I can't find a preference/setting that would bring this feature back. This is very frustrating and I can't figure out what may have changed to cause this. On 7/14/10 10:17 AM, in article 8980e35e-864d-491e-a5d9-d11a494da5aa@u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com, "Michael Barry" <4mjbarry@gmail.com> wrote: > I've be...