How to stop: Microsoft XLS is locked for editing in 2003 Excel

Help on Office / Excel 2003 to stop the "Microsoft XLS is Locked for Editing"
and then keeps showing "Read" or "Notify" from coming up almost every time
Excel 2003 is opened.
Thanks / shorns

Are you opening files from external media like a CD?

Or more likely this problem

When you are working on an Excel workbook(file) Excel will create a
temporary copy of that file.

Generally when you close the file the temporary is deleted.

Sometimes it is not.

Then you will get the "this file is locked for editing by username".

Most times a re-boot will clear it up but sometimes you must clear your Temp
folder and/or the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

If on a network, the server may have to rebooted.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:52:03 -0800, shorns
<shorns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Help on Office / Excel 2003 to stop the "Microsoft XLS is Locked for Editing"
>and then keeps showing "Read" or "Notify" from coming up almost every time
>Excel 2003 is opened.
>Thanks / shorns

0
Gord

Cannot Edit Checked Out Documents
We are using Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, and our site (of which I am administrator) has Word 2007 documents on it. When I check out a document and then open it, it opens in Word with the following message bar at the top: "Server document: A newer version is available. To modify this workbook, open the latest version or save a copy." And I am unable to make any edits in the document. There is a button to save the document, but of course it only saves it unchanged. I checked that the date & time is correct on the server and my own computer. I h...

edit Punlisher version in multiple documents
I have a publisher folder that contains several other folders. In these "sub folders" are publisher documents for departments to revise for a City-wide publication. My problem: documents are saved in Publisher 2003 and not all departments have the latest version. I want to convert all of the documents into Publisher 2000 so they can be opened and modified by departments. How do I "save as" Publisher 2000 without opening each foler and then each document. Do advanced attributes work? How? Many thanks for any help. You don't want to hear the answer. You alrea...

Synchronise Outlook 2003

how do i enable dde in excel?
i am posting a DDE link into an excel cell from an external program and getting the message ' DDE Not enabled' in the cell once the link is pasted in. how do i enable DDE? ...

excel file can't be opened #2

Install of Student and Teacher Edition
I purchased this software for my Daughter who will be attending University over in England next fall. If I install it on her iBook and on her iMac and one other household Mac, will she still be able to use the software when she moves to England? The statement "Rights to install on three computers in your household." is what I have a question about. Does household mean physicall location as in my home or does the three istalls include a laptop that is nolonger in the US? Thanks, Soon to be a poorer dad :-) Pete You'd have to read the small print in the EULA, but I'm guess...

How to transpose in excel file

Outlook 2003 cuts off lines

Microsoft Money 2003
When I try to print a chart or report, I get the message "This program has caused a default, etc." and it shuts down. Can you give me some hints on how to correct this? Thanks Is this all reports or a particular one? If it's only one, try resetting the report. If that doesn't help, try it in a new file. If it does it in multiple files, you may need to try updating your printer driver or removing and reinstalling Money. "Mary J" <mjohns04@mail.win.org> wrote in message news:035001c377cc$e2e77840$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to print a chart or re...

Headers in Excel #3
Can you tell me if it's possible and if so, how I can change the header cells, i.e. A B C D E ... etc? Thanks. Andrea (508) 842-3880 Hi Andrea no this is not possible. The best workaround you can achieve is: - use row 1 as header - goto cell A2 and to the menu 'Windows - Freeze Panes' to always show row 1 - in 'Tools - Options - view' you can hide the row and column headers -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrea" <shrews.receptionist@nitco-lift.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:12ff301c44354$b88982b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can you tell ...

Report Designer on Visual Studio 2005: Is it possible without 2003?
Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2003 to design new reports on CRM? I can't publish them on CRM when I have only the Visual Studio 2005 installed on my machine. When I install the SRS Designer, the Wizard tells me that I do not have the Visual Studio 2003. Thanks in advance! You need VS to create report rdl file. Visual Studio 2005 should work. To publish report you can log into CRM to upload your report file. "Juliano" <tom@jager.com> wrote in message news:B5808A28-946C-4F78-92DF-1C965F74448A@microsoft.com... > Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 Migration Question #3
Hello, We are currently migrating users to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. The 5.5 server is located here and the new 2003 server is located in a different office. One user (who we have moved already) is trying to access and user's calendar, but that user is still on 5.5. They are getting the following error: unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened Any ideas on how to make the user on 2003 (running Outlook 2003) connect to the user's calendar on the 5.5 server? The user has the "Owner" permission on the 5.5 calendar. Thanks! ...

Excel -> Access Import Bizarreness

Importing Outlook 2003 to Win 98 Outlook

Is this possible within Excel 2000?
Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups which I didn't know existed previously. I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently. Thanks in advance for any assistance. J.J. To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a litt...

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

Outlook 2003: export accounts settings