How to set trial?

If some one is selling Excel Add-Ins and offer a trial version, how
are they doing that?  If I create an Add-In, how to I set it for a
trial? Meaning at some point, it locks the person out until they
register it.

Thanks,
Brett
0
account (146)

You can check the current date of today (using the VBA Date function
against a coded date or cell content

Will hiding and locking the cell with the expire date then password
protecting the sheet be enough to keep some one from invalidating the
trial?  Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Brett

BrianB <<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in message news:<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>...
> You can check the current date of today (using the VBA Date function)
> against a coded date or cell content.
>

> ---
account (146)
4/6/2004 9:06:06 PM
 Brett,

No there is no secure way in Excel and/or VBA to do this. All of the locking
mechanisms are easy to break.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
> Will hiding and locking the cell with the expire date then password
> protecting the sheet be enough to keep some one from invalidating the
> trial?  Is there a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett
>
> BrianB <<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in message
> > You can check the current date of today (using the VBA Date function)
> > against a coded date or cell content.
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/6/2004 9:57:57 PM
If the sheet is protected by password, how does some one unlock it
without having the password?

Why does the sheet protection exist if it doesn't supply security?

Brett

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<#FYz3ICHEHA.640@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Brett,
>
> No there is no secure way in Excel and/or VBA to do this. All of the locking
> mechanisms are easy to break.
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
>
> "Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
> > Will hiding and locking the cell with the expire date then password
> > protecting the sheet be enough to keep some one from invalidating the
> > trial?  Is there a better way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brett
> >
> > BrianB <<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in message
> > > You can check the current date of today (using the VBA Date function)
> > > against a coded date or cell content.
> > >

> > > ---
> > > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
0
account (146)
4/7/2004 3:16:07 AM
Why are 15 yo boys able to hack into NASA and move satellites around in
space?

XL is as protected as <cough> it's makers made it. But there exists very
intelligent programmers out there who can do wonders (Hi Mom!). I class MS
security as BASIC. It keeps the no-brainer worker out of mischief but if
someone is dedicated, then they should get in!

--

Julian Milano

> If the sheet is protected by password, how does some one unlock it
> without having the password?
>
> Why does the sheet protection exist if it doesn't supply security?
>
> Brett
>
> "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Brett,
> >
> > No there is no secure way in Excel and/or VBA to do this. All of the
locking
> > mechanisms are easy to break.
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
> >
> > "Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
> > > Will hiding and locking the cell with the expire date then password
> > > protecting the sheet be enough to keep some one from invalidating the
> > > trial?  Is there a better way?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brett
> > >
> > > BrianB <<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in message

Workbook and worksheet passwords are easy to break. Even if someone doesn't
have the skills themselves, a quick search of Google throws up many
solutions.

Add-ins are a bit more difficult, but not too much so, still breakable
relatively easily.

Next step is a dll, but this is heavier programming, and real hackers will
crack this as well if they really want to.

Afraid Excel and VBA protection will only stop the casual snooper, or those
too lazy to take it any further.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
> If the sheet is protected by password, how does some one unlock it
> without having the password?
>
> Why does the sheet protection exist if it doesn't supply security?
>
> Brett
>
> "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Brett,
> >
> > No there is no secure way in Excel and/or VBA to do this. All of the
locking
> > mechanisms are easy to break.
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
> >
> > "Brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message
> > > Will hiding and locking the cell with the expire date then password
> > > protecting the sheet be enough to keep some one from invalidating the
> > > trial?  Is there a better way?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brett
> > >
> > > BrianB <<BrianB.14ahwc@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in message

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Computer proxy settings
I need to fiqure out how a user that logs on in two different offices can be assigned the correct proxy settings for that location. When they log on in the main building, GP gives them the proxy settings for the other building. Should both buildings just use the same settings? I didnt find a GP that can set the proxy for computers like can be set for users, or I must not be seeing it. Do I create another group and add only computers to it? I am out of ideas. 2000 domain with 2000 and xp desktops. Xp machine does our GP editing if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance. GP doesn...

setting left and top at runtime
hi there i have been working with VB for some time, and just started with VC++ i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position of a Static Text control also some help on online VC++ and MFC resources regards >i have been working with VB for some time, and just started >with VC++ > >i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position >of a Static Text control Use MoveWindow or SetWindowPos Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Look into SetWindowPos function in MSDN...You should be able to change position of any window at run-time. - Parhar ...

Server 2008 R2 trial question
I've downloaded & installed Server 2008 R2 to use for study purposes but it has expired after 10 days (auto shuts down after an hour). I have reset the evaluation period using slmgr.vbs in system32 but it has only given me another 10 days. The MS web site states 180 day trial which I'm sure is 60 days trial renewable twice, any ideas how I can get the full trial so I can study for the 70-640 exam? TIA, Jason Hello Jazsnap, You have to activate it to overcome the 10 days. Without activation this is expected. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This post...

Set Increment on Spin Button to 0.1
I'm using a spin button from the control toolbar to increase the value in a cell. the min value i want is 0 the maximum is 2 but i want it to increase by 0.1 in the properties this doesn't seem to be allowed help!!!! Thanx Mark Mark, Here is one way. Link your spinbutton to an unused cell (I use) A15. Set the max to 20. Then in code, set the real cell's value like so Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinUp() Range("A16").Value = Range("A15").Value / 10 End Sub Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinDown() Range("A16").Value = Range("A15").Valu...

outlook xp account settings
in outlook 2000 there was a way to back up account information via the tools>accounts, i often have to switch computers and am looking for a way to do the same thing in outlook xp ...

Changing Outlook (2003) modify reply settings
I'd like modify Outlook so that when I reply (not forward, ideally) the original text is made gray and my new text is say, black. Currently the old text remains the same and my text becomes blue. I thought there were some settings that made such things easy, but all I can find are settings that change the amount of indent and the left bar. Is this stored in a template somewhere? If anyone has any pointers, I'd be grateful. -- ------------ Michael Bierman You can only set the color change for your reply. Tools, options, mail format, Fonts, When replying... "Michael ...

Setting up e-mail without Exchange Server
Need some help here.... I want everytime a lead or an oppurtunity is created, an e-mail to be sent to a user... The problem is that i am not using an exchange e-mail server but an the e-mail server of my isp... I have created a rule in the Process Manager but where should i state the e-mail's server address? My best Regards Chris Hi Chris, You will be using SMTP to send mails out from the CRM server. You can configure the SMTP settings during the installation of the server. If you have already installed the server and want to specify the SMTP settings now, refer to http://sup...

Create set based on column items feature in Pivot Tables 2010
I have a pivot table created in 2010 that I would like to use the 'create sets' feature in. However it is not enabled. The three 'sets' features are disabled as are the OLAP tools / What if analysis options on the Pivot Table options ribbon. What am i missing??? Cheers Julie Okay, found the problem - for 2010 the sets are only allowable for OLAP based Pivot Tables. :( On Nov 23, 10:16=A0am, jigsaw <jul...@consultant.com> wrote: > I have a pivot table created in 2010 that I would like to use the > 'create sets' feature in. =A0However it is not enabled....

Help Please! Need to set up query
I have set up a query that tells me how many mediations my office has each week. I have a field for "status" of the mediation. I'd like to be able to calculate the percentage of mediations I have in any given month has a "status" of "settled". I can't figure out how to calculate the percentage. Please help. Thanks. Field and table names sure help. In its simplest form, you seem to be asking for the following query. SELECT Abs(Sum(Status = "Settled"))/Count(MeditationDate) as PercentSettled FROM SomeTable WHERE MediationDate Between #...

How to set the print file to repeat a row on every page
How do I set the print file so row 2 will repeat on every page? Easiest way is to go to the Page Set-up Properties. Go to your "File" Menu Select "Page Set-up" Select "Sheets" There are several features: There will be a line asking you "Rows to repeat at top" with a rang selector, use that and you should be set -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com File > Page Setup > Sheet tab. Click inside the box marked "Rows to repeat at top" and select row 2 on the sheet. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >...

How do I set the size of a publication in pixels?
I need to make the size of my publication 1062 x 615 pixels and I was wondering how I can set the size of the publication in pixels instead of inches. Thanks. On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:54:04 +0100, FunkyJunk wrote (in article <C614CB47-29C5-4879-A273-BC24645BAC1A@microsoft.com>): > I need to make the size of my publication 1062 x 615 pixels and I was > wondering how I can set the size of the publication in pixels instead of > inches. Thanks. Why do you need to make it such an odd size...? Generally speaking, there are 72 pixels to an inch (that's roughly 28.8 to a centim...

Settings (Territories, Products)
There doesn't appear to be a settings folder in the navigation pane, therefore i am unable to set up any territories or product info. I suspect that you do not have the security settings in CRM to view the settings. Try using an account that has access to this, the Systems Administrator should work fine. -- David Wasserman www.grandconsult.com "Medhurst" wrote: > There doesn't appear to be a settings folder in the navigation pane, > therefore i am unable to set up any territories or product info. Hi Medhurst, If Outllook client and web client is running on t...

Serialization with XmlSerializer: how to set the XML root node to something different from <ArrayOfClassname>????
Hello, when serializing an array of elements of a class Classname using XmlSerializer.Serialize() I get an XML like the following: <?xml version="1.0"> <ArrayOfClassname> ....... ....... </ArrayOfClassname> I'd like to be able to set the XML root node to something different from <ArrayOfClassname> .... for example something like <Classnames>. As an alternative when deserilizing an XML such as the following: <?xml version="1.0"> <Classnames> ....... ....... </Classnames> I'd like to be able to "load" it i...

Setting a Recipient Container as the default for all clients.
Exch 5.5 on WinNT4 We have four Recipient Containers. The GAL is chockers and users are complaining that there are too many names in the list when they click the "TO:" button on their Outlook2K email. Is there a way to default each users' view to one of the Recipient Containers only instead of the GAL? Can this be done from the server instead of each workstation? I know all they have to do is choose the recipient container from the "Show Names From...." list, but users will be users!! Thanks. -- Julian Milano "Julian Milano" <jdmils_NOSPAM@hotmail.c...

Publisher 2007
I have older versions of publisher which open automatically as the A4 page size. This is great. I have Publisher 2007 at work and this opens with the default page size set at A4 I also have publisher at Home, but this annoyingly always opens set at the american page size. I have to repeatedly go into the page setup and alter the size for every publication and set it to A4. Please can anyone advise if there is a way to set the default page size in Publisher 2007 so that it will always default to opening or creating an A4 size document. I have the English version of Office 2007 Ultimate. Ma...

Email set up
I think I need help setting this up. I am trying to set it up ... but unsure if I am using pop or smtp. can someone please guid me in the right direction? Thanks Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Kids" <deon@longhorn-services.com> wrote in message news:upfpIR7nKHA.1928@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I think I need help setting this up. I am trying to set it u...

How do I set up having a letter = a value?
I want to know if there is a way to type a letter in a column and make it represent a value. For example. If I type the letter b in column e1 I want it to represent a formula in c1. I am setting up a spreadsheet for my co workers to use and want it to be user freindly so they can type either a or b in a column and have it calculate the correct formula. =IF(E1="a",formula1,IF(E1="b",formula2,"")) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "kfoix" wrote: > I want to know if there is a way to type a letter in a column and make it > represent a value. For exa...

FRx spec set import
I just imported a spec set for a client into my local FRx client 6.5 with service pack 7 (same as client version). For some reason, when I open the row formats, the hyphens in the account numbers are missing and it's time consuming to re-enter it in each account. I also tried an import into a 6.7 version of FRx and the same thing happens. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks, Donna Are the account formats the same for both companies? If one company has ?????-?? and the other has ?????, you can have problems if you are using the full account in the row format and copy from ????...

Outlook Mobile Access: Global Settings
We currently have a mixed mode Exchange Organization. We have just put our first Exhcange 2003 server in our Organzation but when we use the E2k3 System Manager we don't see Mobile Service Properties under Global Settings. The Forest Prep/Domain Prep and Exchange install all went fine. Any ideas? Regards, Brian ...

TAG value problem/SET Tag value
i get an error message: method or data member not found: Assessment is a combo box and field name in which the user is storing a diagnosis test description. maybe the problem is the AFTERupdate part of the code: Private Sub Combo_assessmt_AfterUpdate() Dim db As Database Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Dim strSQL As String Set db = CurrentDb strSQL = "SELECT diagcode " & _ "FROM diagnosis " & _ "WHERE diagname = '" & Me!assessment & "'" Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot) Me.assessment.Tag = Nz(rs!d...

How do I put a gap between 2 data sets on the x axis?
Rather than put an extra line in my table of data, which gives me a big gap on the x axis, is there a way of putting a narrow gap on the x axis between two data sets I have the last few sets displayed on the secondary y axis and want to differentiate between those and the ones plotted on the primary axis. Heids - If it's a line chart, ending one series and starting another give an obvious gap where there are no connecting lines. This is how the data would look: A B 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 25 5 30 6 35 But I expect you have a column chart, because the gap in the...

Office 2003 set up
I installed office 2003 from a laptop that crashed. When word set up began it asked for the key. I typed the key and the message popped up that the key is invalid. How do I get a valid key? Is office a retail version or supplied with your old PC? And if retail version did you first uninstall any Trial? "CMEDEN" <CMEDEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B13556FB-FB61-4C7B-BBAE-07067ECFB67D@microsoft.com... >I installed office 2003 from a laptop that crashed. When word set up began > it asked for the key. I typed the key and the message pop...

CVC Posting
Good Day! I am posting some Customer/Vendor Consolidation transactions, and the transactions are posting "To" the GL, and updating the Subledger. I would like to get the CVC transactions posting "Through" the GL in one step, avoiding having to post more batches in the Financials section. I can't find a setting in Dynamics GP that lets me make this distinction. Anyone have any ideas or had this issue before? Cheers! Rick ...

use same email address to set up new microsoft outlook email accou
I would like to keep my same email address (with RoadRunner) to open a Microsoft Outlook email account and not have to change it. Is that possible? Also, if it is, cannot figure out what to type in POP3, SMTP to set up that account. Is it because I am using another ISP? thanks. desperate to find out! ...

Outlook Failure notice 'doen't accept non-western character sets'
I get a failure notice when emailing certain people with Outlook. "The user does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets" Do I have something set wrong in Outlook? This does not happen with my older Outlook Express or my web based email. Please help! thank you. Recheck your View, Encoding in the message. "Pensacola Mike" wrote: > I get a failure notice when emailing certain people with Outlook. "The user > does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets" > > Do I have something set wrong in Outlook? ...