How to remove a wildcard character from text column?

How does one remove a wildcard character from a text string?
In this case the text contains an asterisk followed by a slash. */
0
scameron (3)

If you're talking about "Edit - Replace",
Precede the asterisk with the tilde ( ~* ) in the "FindWhat" box.
--

HTH,

RD

"Stace Cameron" <scameron@siumed.edu> wrote in message
How does one remove a wildcard character from a text string?
In this case the text contains an asterisk followed by a slash. */

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
10/8/2004 7:42:20 PM
Use the Substitute Function in another cell, select the text, type in "*/"
for the text to be replaced and "" for the new text.  Copy and paste value
back into the original cell.

"Stace Cameron" wrote:

> How does one remove a wildcard character from a text string?
> In this case the text contains an asterisk followed by a slash. */

0
Michael5492 (655)
10/8/2004 7:49:04 PM
Replace * with nothing (blank REPLACE WITH field), with wildcards disabled.

"Stace Cameron" wrote:

> How does one remove a wildcard character from a text string?
> In this case the text contains an asterisk followed by a slash. */

0
MartinP (78)
10/8/2004 7:57:02 PM
In Excel, there's no option in the Find/Replace dialogs to disable wildcards.
Maybe you are thinking of Word?

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:57:02 -0700, "Martin P"
<MartinP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Replace * with nothing (blank REPLACE WITH field), with wildcards disabled.
>
>"Stace Cameron" wrote:
>
>> How does one remove a wildcard character from a text string?
>> In this case the text contains an asterisk followed by a slash. */

0
anonymous (74722)

what command shifts all cells in a column up or down?
Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes to reverse what I did and shift all cells in the column up. select the inserted cell Edit>Delete when asked, click "Shift cells up" -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "marco" <marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0CAFF80-291E-4A62-9D52-980D94F74378@microsoft.com... > Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a > particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes...

Removing OrderBy from Tables and Queries in VBA
I have an issue where people are in my access database and they look at data through a table, sort it, and when they close the table, they are asked if they want to save their changes, they invariably say yes. This is slowing down my database. I want to write code that goes through all tables, queries, forms, and reports, and turns off the orderby or filters. forms and reports are no problem since I can open them and close them, but querydefs and tabledefs seems to be a different beast. I found the OrderByOn property which is dug into the object, and I have code to change...

average of percentages between 1% and 100% in a column
Hello, I am trying to get the average of percentages within a column, but would like to exclude 0% and 100% from the formula. This is the formula I thought would work: {=AVERAGE(IF(AND(L1:L988>0,L1:988<100)))} (I read in an earlier post to hit ctrl+shift+enter to apply this type of formula) Thanks! Here is a way using sumproduct that does NOT need array entering =SUMPRODUCT((E1:E100>0)*(E1:E100<1)*E1:E100)/SUMPRODUCT((E1:E100>0)*(E1:E100 <1)) or array enter this =AVERAGE(IF((E1:E100>0)*(E1:E100<1),E1:E100)) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com &qu...

CCTV text insertion??
Is there anyone using text insertion from RMS? I need a way to insert text most times this is done off receipt printer or off a com port. The reason i dont like using a receipt funtion is rms dumps all the info at the end of the transaction i would rather have it while the cashier is ringing up that item. I would use it as a pole display but not everything is sent to the pole display. JUst wondering if anyone else was using text insertion on a rms system. thanks for the help Nope right now only way is printer. "Doug Pic-N-Pac" <DougPicNPac@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?
How do I rename columns in Excel 2003? Columns are either assigned letters: column A or numbers: column 1 You can make a meaningful name in two ways: 1. use the first row as a column header and put your names in there 2. assign a Defined Name to the column - this will allow you to used =SUM(costs) instead of =SUM(A:A) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200825 "chimala" wrote: > How do I rename columns in Excel 2003? What do you mean rename them? They are assigned column letters (or numbers if R1C1 style) by Excel. You could turn off column headings and put your preferred...

How do i set up a budget with self totalling column
I have made a basic budget with columns Date, Money in, Money out, Balance what I want to know is if there is a way for me to put a formula in the Balance column which will recognise if there is a number in the in r out column and if it is in the IN to add it to te previous balance and if it is in the OUT to minus it from the previus balance Thanks I hope someone can help Kristie I also have a buget with the same basic column as you do. Here is what you need to do. At the very top of the balance column, put a BAL FORWARD. This amount can be zero, but can also be equal to the last bala...

Removing reference to CRM
I have a small application that does not expose crm functionality but uses the framework. I would like to change the title bar in IE to not display - Microsoft CRM 3.0 in the title bar. Does anyone know if this is possible. I want to hide the fact that I am using CRM in the initial stages of a presentation. You can change the title in the loader.aspx file, which is loacated in c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. Find the following line: <title><loc:Text ResourceId="Web.default.aspx_16" runat="server"/></title> and replace it with <title>Your...

Excel text to Word text
How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed English I don't believe you can copy and paste without the gridlines. However, in Word, select the data and Table>Convert>Table to Text. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Ed" <ee15803@att.net> wrote in message news:3f7e21e9.53324199@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying > over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks &g...

Streaming rich text
I have finally been able to stream rich text to the monitor and have noticed a problem. When I stream rich text like this <CString line = _T("\\par\\b Tommy");> it works fine, I get a bold Tommy displayed but if I format that string like <CString name = pDoc->name;> // which is a CString name from a form <CString line = (_T("\\par\\b %s"),name);> the rich codes don't do anything. Is there something that I am missing? -- Just Al The examples are not syntactically correct, and the explanation is not coherent. What you are saying is that if you hav...

5000 character limit in data fields
Is there any way to extend the 5000 character limit for data fields? I have one field that will be at least 10000 characters regularly. It appears that I cannot make a custom field larger then 5000 characters though even with the ntext format. Just wanted you to know that we have just created a 5000 character ntext field in the Leads entity and get an error going offline with that data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this, but in the meantime we're stuck. Can you use the Notes Entity? "fbell@itstrategists.com" wrote: > Is there any way to extend the 5000 character...

make column lists for select query.
sheet1 table1 col1_1 table1 col1_2 table1 col1_3 table1 col1_4 table1 col1_5 table1 col1_6 table2 col2_1 table2 col2_2 table2 col2_3 table2 col2_4 .... .... sheet2 table1 col1_1,col1_2,col1_3,col1_4,col1_5,col1_6, table2 col2_1,col2_2,col2_3,col2_4, .... .... I want to make column lists for some table listed in sheet1. for example, select column_lists from table1 without vba is it possible? thanks. I think you may want some dependent lists. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html HTH, Barb Reinhardt "kang" wrote: > sheet1 > table1 col1_1 > table1 col1_2 >...

Reading a text file
Help! :( Is there a way to automate the importation of a text file in to Excel, with out having to use the import text wizard every time? Below is a sample the the file and the inofrmation I need. ( the file is actually much larger then this) but this will give you an idea. The actual numbers will change from day to day,and so will the amount of rows. But the file format and the number of columns will always be the same. and the information I need will always be the same columns. I've read books, tutorials and even information on dos batch files. :( I'm stuck, I have my whole sprea...

Creating XML Text
Hello, I need to create some well formed XML text live in memory. What I really want is to use the XmlTextWriter object applied to some location in memory (Stream or something?), because it does a nice job of formatting/identing, etc. But I can't figure out how to instantiate the XmlTextWriter object correctly w/o a filespec. I'm not allowed to directly instantiate a Stream & therefore a StreamWriter for that matter since there's no filespec involved. Can someone show me some code to make this work? TIA, -- John C. Bowman Software Engineer Thermo Electron Scientific I...

Replace data in a column
Okay, I have a column that has text in it. I want to change all these to the Identifying number that is found in a different table. So how do I do this? Example: Current table has: A 1 First name 2 New first name 3 Another first name Need to change the A column in first table to the correspoding column in this table: A B 1 12 First name 2 15 New first name 3 22 Another first name So after the switch either I need a new column in the current table so it look like the second column (there might be more then one match in the current t...

Sheet tab text color

Ignoring text in a cell with a formula
I have several cells which I want tobe able to have text and numbers in, but for a formula to ignore the text. The text is not the same in each cell. ...

Adding columns automatically based on worksheets
MVPs In a workbook, I have initially 2 sheets. Sheet1 contains information about sheet2 which is reflected in Column B. How can I automatically add a column (column C, D, etc..) of information if I add another sheet3, Sheet4, etc.. Meaning, I want to be able to freely add sheet3, sheet4 and in sheet1 columns would be automatically be created based on these new sheets. ...

Removal of lines
I am just a self taught beginner, so could someone please explain to me how can I remove the lines separating the columns e.g. between columns A B & C, in lines 1 and 2, so that if I have a heading on a worksheet, which is meant to incorporate more than one column, e.g. 2006, so that I could then insert the months in the next line 3. How do I retain the year 2005 numerals in the middle of the line? Thank you. Hi You could mark your range of cells, A1:C1 and Format>Cells>Alignment>Merge then choose Alignment>Horizontal>Center. Personally, I avoid merged cells where ...

Adding columns to item table
Are there any incompatibility issues I would need to worry about in adding additional columns to tables in the database? I'm already using most of the available fields in the item table and I would like a place to store each items ASIN assigned from amazon. I don't need to be able to read or write this in either the POS or the Manager, I just need to be able to access it through SQL queries. I would like to know the same thing. Has anybody done that without problems? <tfitts@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ce05743c-7ca2-49cc-89da-815d91c77e4d@1g2000prd.googlegroups.com......

Remove lines from Group Box
I've found an answer to group boxes that instructs how to remove the borders from group boxes by using a macro to hide them. Is this the only way? -- Lori Lori - The macro works by setting the .visible property of the group box to false. You could also draw a plain white rectangle with no border, put the group box behind it and the option boxes in front of it, and get the same effect, except the cells behind the rectangle would have to be hidden. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______...

How to skip cells with text strings.
What should I add to the code below to cause it to skip a cell tha contains a text string in the cell above it? I need it to only work o numbers in the cell above it. If ActiveCell.Offset(rowoffset:=-1) <> "" Then ActiveCell = ActiveCell.Offset(rowoffset:=-1) + 1 Application.SendKeys ("{Enter}") End If Thanks so much. mikebur -- mikebur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thread...

alignment of text in unbound listbox
what makes the text in an unbound listbox align left or center since there is no 'align' property? Some of mine are left-justified and some are centered and I cannot figure out why ??? =?Utf-8?B?bXNjZXJ0aWZpZWQ=?= <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in news:AADE7CBC-3E81-4526-B0BC-DCEB6DC6141A@microsoft.com: > what makes the text in an unbound listbox align left or center since > there is no 'align' property? Some of mine are left-justified and some > are centered and I cannot figure out why ??? > There is, it's called 'text align' -- Posted vi...

Font set for reading plain text
I've set Courier as the font to read and compose plain text message. However, I don't have idea why my Outlook showed with Arial rather than Courier. The message was from Yahoo account. It seems no difference where messages came from. Can Outlook show plain text message with the font that I set? Thanks, Charles OL2003 SP2 on XP Pro SP2 ...

Convert Incoming Plain Text to HTML
Is there a way to have Outlook (2003) automatically convert incoming Plain Text messages to HTML without manually changing the formatting option? Thanks in advance, Jody As far as I know, no. You can go from HTML to Plain Text but not the other way. "J. Owens" wrote: > Is there a way to have Outlook (2003) automatically convert incoming Plain > Text messages to HTML without manually changing the formatting option? ...

OWA missing text on reply or forward
Group, We have several users who use OWA for their e-mail and just recently it has stopped showing the body of a forwarded message. It only forwards the message header. And I believe Reply does the same thing. It used to work normally, and I haven't changed anything. And Outlook still works normally, the problem is only OWA, but it is on all workstations, internal and external. So I am assuming the setting for this behavior is in Exchange, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know it's probably some little thing that I've looked right at several times and just didn't se...