how to protect appointed rows or columns to use the mouse and keyboard

hzh,

You could include some text in your post.
Maybe then we could figure out what you mean by "appointed"??
"To use the mouse and keyboard" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Maybe you're a new poster???

If so, take a look here before reposting:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Most anything that could be asked in the newsgroups has already been
answered.
Take a look here and you may just find what you're looking for (whatever
that is)??
http://tinyurl.com/29pby

John

"hzh" <hzh62@163.com> wrote in message

0
jwilson (359)
1/5/2004 4:20:17 AM
If you mean to proect some cells from entering data, you can do the
following.

remove the protection from the cells you want to ALLOW entering.
(Format - cells - protection - then uncheck the 'LOCKED'). Then protect
the sheet (Tools-protection-protect sheet).

By default all the cells are locked and when you protect the sheet, you
are not allowed to enter data. So you need to unlock the cells which
you need to allow the user to enter before protecting sheet.

regards
gt

---

Protection error
Someone shared and protected a workbook that I created. I went to Tools>Sharing and unshared the workbook. Now when I try to make changes and save them I get an error that says "You must first unprotect the document". When I try to do this, however, the unprotect option on the Tools>Protection menu is not available. I have noticed that it says [Group] in the title bar. How do i turn that option off? If Tools|Protection|Unprotect Sheet is greyed out, you have to ungroup first. [Group] in the title bar means that you have multiple sheets selected. You can rightclick on ...

One column with different widths
I want to make Column A with rows 1-29 one width and rows 30 and above another width. -- Calpitor Excel does not allow varying widths of cells within a column (or heights within rows). You could used 'Merged' cells to accomodate the wider column needs. HTH -- swatsp0p ------------------------------------------------------------------------ swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476150 ...

Using MS Access information in Outlook
I have an MS Access DBase that contains our companies contact information. I want to be able to use that information in an Outlook contact folder. I do not want to import the information into Outlook. I want it to be automatically synchronized. Is this possible? Mikeal ...

Strike-through an entire row.
OK... I need to know if there is a way I can strike through the text on a row by highlighting the row with the defunkt information and activating a macro. Let's see if I can give an example. Say I'm entering data in, row by row... Each row's data is SIMILAR but not the same. Now let's say that apon review I notice that one of the row is incorrect. I need to be able to highlight the row (Presumably by selecting the corresponding number on the left hand side {1,2,3 etc}) then I need to run a macro (that will eventually be tied to a button) and then be done the macro would tur...

How to generate XML file as follow, using XmlDocument
Hello, I have to generate XML file as follow, using XmlDocument. <Company> < Employee EID=3D=94111=94 Description=3D=94 xyz=94> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D10=94> <FirstName> Abhijit </FirstName> <LastName> Babar </LastName> </Dept> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D20=94> <FirstName> Sahine </FirstName> <LastName> Ghavane </LastName> </Dept> </Employee> < Employee EID=3D=94222=94 Description=3D=94 abc=94> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D10=94> <FirstName> Swapnil </FirstName> ...

Sorting rows out of order after all rows are numbered in sequence
Data is in 4 columns with Headers described below: Col A - Line# (rows are numbered in original order in worksheet) Col B - Acct# (property number) Col C - Category (code for the type of information in the rows ie: E, V, X, T) Col D - Label (description of the data or values in the row) There is one row of Expenses (all begin with "LOE - ") that is numbered out of sequence from the other "LOE -" items. I need to Move it up with the other "LOE -" items and if possible Re-sort all the "LOE -" items BUT only the "LOE -" rows within e...

How to represent a column in Excel
Hi, everyone I currently have a formula. {=SUM(IF((Data!G2:G75="Verified")*(Data!K2:K75<=7),1,0))} However, the length of both column G and K are not fixed. The data is retrieved from a remote database. Is there any other way to represent it ? Thanks One quick-and-dirty way is to just do the whole column, x`like: > {=SUM(IF((Data!G2:G65536="Verified")*(Data!K2:K65536<=7),1,0))} It won't be appropriate for Excel 2007, but is there any chance at all you'll actually fill the sheet to row 65536? It's also considered somewhat sloppy, but you'...

PatchFactory 2.0 Released. Professional and easy-to-use patch building tool for Win9x/Me/NT/2000/XP.
Description: Professional and easy-to-use patch building environment that can help you to create instant patch packages for software and file updating. Generated patch packages are small size self-extracting executable update programs in a famous installer style with adjustable user-friendly interface and multilingual support. Enhanced with features like easy-to-use interface including a Wizard mode, powerful patch engine, integrated compression technology, adjustable multilingual user-friendly interface of the update program, this program will most definitely become a valuable asset for softw...

Search and Replace, or Add New Row
I am using Excel 2003. Worksheet1 contains columns (A) Invoice (B) Name (C) Address (D) P.O.# ... and others. I need to perform a search of column A using an invoice number and if it IS FOUND, then replace the entire row with new data. If the invoice number IS NOT FOUND, then I need to add a new row. Is there a simple way to do this? Check your other post.. "GEdwards" wrote: > I am using Excel 2003. > > Worksheet1 contains columns > (A) Invoice > (B) Name > (C) Address > (D) P.O.# ... and others. > > I need to...

Why doesn't indirect work with a dynamic range created using offse
Hi Has anyone else experienced this issue or I am doing something wrong. I have a series of dynamic range names defined using offset. For example the name USCities is defined as =offset(AA1,0,0,Counta(AA:AA),1) and the name Europeancities is defined as =offset(AB1,0,0,counta(AB:AB),1) In column A, dataentry into the cells is limited to USCities or Europeancities. In column B, I want to limit data entry to the range name appearing in column A. For example if USCities is selected in A1, data entry in cell B1 is to be limited to those cells forming the USCities range name. I have tri...

Create Outlook 2003 Rule using 'Or' operator in 'Sent to' condition
How do I create a rule that uses the 'or' operator in the 'sent to' condition? I actually have a rule like this, but don't know how I created it. In other rules, when I try to add more that one email address or group in 'sent to,' Outlook inserts the 'and' operator. What is the exact rule in full? In general you'd create additional rules but it depends a bit on the condition or action that you are using. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins ...

parent/child row relationships
I have a database that contains several rows for one record. (I didn't set this up) Anyway, there is a header row that has one or more detailed row, using the same ID number. There are unique keys that are in sequential order for each row. I need to be able to bring up the header row on the top of the form, and all detail at the bottom of the form -- VB@work You gonna need form and subform with Master/Child link on the Record field (ID number). Use these queries -- Van_Work_Header --- SELECT Van_Work.Record, Van_Work.Sequential, Van_Work.Text1, Van_Work.Text2 FROM Van_Work ...

getting info from a pull down menu and looking up column to get co
Sorry I don't know all the jargon, but basically i have made a list called employee and used it to make pulldown menus in multiple worksheets to enable me to select an employee for labor costs. Now I want to lookup(from the pull down menu,another list I made Called name, another list i made call rate) to be entered in the rate column. The "name" list='Employee records'!$A$3,'Employee records'!$A$4,'Employee records'!$A$5,etc... The "rate" list='Employee records'!$C$3,'Employee records'!$C$4,'Employee recor...

Permission to use object denied.
I have a user on a Windows 2000 machine with user rights. The user is also running office 97. When he opens a excel speedsheet and Enable's Macros, he gets the following message; "Permission to use object denied". Hi Shannon............ It sounds like there is some sort of link to another workbook that a macro is calling and your user does not have rights to it. I think I would open the book without enabling the macros, and then take a look at them to see if one is trying to do such a thing. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Shannon" <Shannon507@aol.com>...

How can I retrieve rows from 11 to 20 ( Selete TOP 10 gives first 10)
Using 'Select Top 10' gives me first 10 rows of my table. I need to retrieve the next 10 records. I am writing to an excel spreadsheet where I need to write top 10 rows starting from B2 and next 10 records starting from I2. So how can I split them? Every time I have to split into 10rows each. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201004/1 Something like this will get the job done. I don't know your table/ field names... SELECT TOP 10 primaryKey FROM myTable WHERE primaryKey NOT IN (SELECT TOP...

Insert Trigger to Update Value of Column in Inserted Row
I am trying to write a SQL Insert trigger which would populate the value of a column in the inserted row with the value of a column from another database table. The table into which the row is inserted does not have a primary key match with the other database table. The two tables can be related through a join to a third table. "CarlC" <CarlC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:834D03E6-84CA-4CF3-9781-12FA18713940@microsoft.com... >I am trying to write a SQL Insert trigger which would populate the value of >a > column in the inserted ...

row height #12
My default row height is set at 13.20 and it goes up and down in .6 increments. Everyone else in my office has the default as 12.75 and it goes up and down in .75 increments. Our fonts are exactly the same, and every other option we could think of is the same, where can I adjust this? Thanks Open a new workbook and make the desired change to row height, save the workbook in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart as Book.xlt (or wherever located on your system). Make sure you move and save the original Book.xlt first in case you decide to restore the original. I don't ...

How do I hide text beyond the last column in Excel?
In the last column of spreadsheet, if the text goes beyond the column boundary, how is the text truncated in the next cell. I know you can enter blanks in the next column, and that will achieve the desired effect, but that's not an optimal solution for us. Could you just hide all of the columns to the right of those cells? Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "GetVigilant-Jon" wrote: > In the last column of spreadsheet, if the text goes beyond the column > boundary, how is the text truncated in the next cell. I know you can enter > blanks in the next colum...

Accessing a linked file in a Word document using VBA
Hi - Basic question, in my Word template I have some linked images. I want to use VBA to change the path and filename of some of these links ... can anyone give me a clue as to how I should best do this? Thanks Robin Hi Robin, To see how to paths in Word using vba, check out the macro solution I've posted for implement relative paths at: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=670027 -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA2C548-7D01-4515-BCC8-2EF3210439C9@microsof...

COUNT /COUNTIF for Multiple Column Defined Dynamic Named Range
Hi, Would like to use Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" in Formula. The Dynami Named Range "RESULTS" spans 30 COLUMNS and many ROWS. Need help with Formula to COUNT specified criteria in each separat COLUMN of the Defined Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS". Looking for on Formula that can be adapted with an OFFSET / INDEX to work on the othe COLUMNS. Example Results required from Formula: COLUMN 1 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 2 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 30 in Dy...

Data validation causing problems when using a data form in Excel 2
I have an Excel 2007 workbook that includes data validation set on a number of cells. When using a data form to enter data and I enter an invalid value on the form field corresponding to one of those cells I receive the validation error dialogue that prompts me to retry. I enter the correct data into that field on the form then close the form. My worksheet only has the data relating to the corrected field entered. All other data entered via the form is not entered onto the worksheet. Is this a bug in Excel 2007? I previously was using Excel 2002 and found that when using a ...

Using Outlook on a MAC
Does anyone know why I can't forward HTML email with Outlook on my MAC? It is received ok but when I forward it, it goes out as text and all the formatting and images are gone. I'd appreciate the help. ...

Using Exmerge in batch-mode doesn't work
Hi there, I want to "backup" the mailboxes from my Exchangeserver to pst-files with Exmerge. I seem to have the same problem though as more people seem to have with the Exmerge utility but I haven't seen any solutions yet :-(. If I walk through the Exmerge steps using the GUI everything seems to go allright. I get a list of mailboxes, I pick the ones I want to export to .pst en Exmerge does it's thing creating a bunch of perfectly healthy .pst's. When I want to use it in batch-mode using MAILBOXES.TXT containing the mailboxes I want to export, Exmerge logs it can...

Formatting a column
Hey all. I am creating a report from a queury I built and for some reason it won't let me format one of the columns. There is nothing in the drop down box under Format. Here is the expression: Expr3: IIf([Expr2]/[SLA]=0," ",[Expr2]/[SLA]) It reflects the correct number, but I want to reflect it as a percent. For some reason the 'IIf' statement is not formatable? Is that correct? Any ideas? Love Buzz wrote: >Hey all. > >I am creating a report from a queury I built and for some reason it won't >let me format one of the columns. There is nothin...

SUm function and adding rows
Is there a way to get the SUM function to increase the range if a row is added right above the previous SUM range. FOr example to go from SUM(C3, C22) to SUM (C3, C23) when I insert a row directly above row 24 - wher the SUM function resides. You could use a formula like this in C23: =SUM(C2:OFFSET(C23,-1,0)) FredZack wrote: > > Is there a way to get the SUM function to increase the range if a row is > added right above the previous SUM range. FOr example to go from SUM(C3, C22) > to SUM (C3, C23) when I insert a row directly above row 24 - wher the SUM >...