How to Paste Link a cell with color

I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but the
original cell has a color background and when it is paste linked, the color
is lost.  Can anyone help with why this happens?

dah
0
PasteLink (2)

That is the way it works, a link never contains the format, the user needs
to do it twice, first paste the link and then paste the format

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Paste Link" <PasteLink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but
the
> original cell has a color background and when it is paste linked, the
color
> is lost.  Can anyone help with why this happens?
>
> dah

0
terre081 (3244)
11/22/2005 8:06:58 PM
Formulas return values--not formats.

Maybe you could use format|conditional formatting to mimic the colors?

Or just copy|paste (no longer a formula, though)

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> That is the way it works, a link never contains the format, the user needs
> to do it twice, first paste the link and then paste the format
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Paste Link" <PasteLink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but
> the
> > original cell has a color background and when it is paste linked, the
> color
> > is lost.  Can anyone help with why this happens?
> >
> > dah

0
PasteLink (2)

get the active color of a cell
I got cells that had there color chaging automatically using a format condition (cond#1:red if B4<10 cond#2:green if C5>100 for example...). Now, I would like to automatically change the color to blue if the active color is red (condition #1 true in my example). I can get the ColorIndex of the cell: -when no condition applied = .Font.ColorIndex -when condition #1 applied = .FormatConditions(1).Font.ColorIndex -when condition #2 applied = .FormatConditions(2).Font.ColorIndex But impossible to retrieve the actual cell color... any idea? Another way to solve my problem would be to be able ...

Increment a number based on four adjoing cells
I am using an xlsx spreadsheet for indexing metadata for file folders. Based on the metadata selected from dropdowns in columns H, I & J, the spreadsheet builds a file number in the format AA-AA-NN-nnnnn (A=alpha; N=predetermined number; nnnnn= sequential number). I'm using the following formulas: Col B =VLOOKUP(H577,FUNCTIONLU,2) Col C =VLOOKUP(I577,CATEGORYLU,2) Col D =VLOOKUP(J577,TYPELU,2) Col E =IF(D576="","",IF(COUNTIF($D$2:$D576,$D576)=1,TEXT(0,"00001")+0,IF(COUNTIF($D$2:$D576,D576)>1,INDEX($E$2:$E576,MATCH($D576,$D$2:$...

VLOOKUP formula displays in cell, will not return data
I had an older version of Excel (97 maybe?) and our office updated to 2007. Now my vlookup will not return data. The vlookup formula appears in the cell or I get the NA#. I've formatted my lookup cells and table to General but still get the same result. After formatting the cell as General, re-enter it (F2/Enter) - if you're still seeing the formula, press Ctrl/~ -- you're looking at the formula layer instead of the value layer. "Chaps" wrote: > I had an older version of Excel (97 maybe?) and our office updated to 2007. > > Now my vloo...

format to see bottom of cell
I want to find out if there is a way to format a cell so I can view the bottom half of the cell because there are more text then the height of the cell. I don't want to increase the height of the cell. Thanks in advance Maybe an indirect way would be to write the text in the cells into their own comment boxes ? Then, hovering the mouse over the cell will display the desired full text in the cell w/o having to increase the row height. You might wish to check out Dave M's page at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm Look for: Sub AddComments() The sub will popula...

cell does not auto-stretch when too much text in one cell
I have text of multiple lines in a cell. It seems after it reaching to an amount, it stops auto-stretching so I can see all text in the cell. I have manually drag it down so I can see the complete content. Is there a way to have it auto-stretched to show all text again? Thanks for the help, Use Format/Row/Autofit -- you'll only have to do it once. From then on it should "auto stretch". Bob Umlas "cpliu" <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6be268e8-601e-4ac5-9046-c31e152fbc58@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I have text of multiple lines in a cel...

I want to format a number cell without the decimal and without ro.
I need to format the number cell so that it will still show the numbers after the decimal, but not show the decimal point at all. It must also display leading zeros, which is not a problem. I just need a way to strip the decimal from the number. If if needs to stay a number with the same value, I don't think you can do it. If you can change the value Just multiple the number by ten to the number of decimal places. If it can be text set up a new column and use =substitute(a1,".',"") "LAM" wrote: > I need to format the number cell so that it will sti...

Spot Color Separations
What type of graphic files will work in Publisher 2002 for spot color separations? I've had trouble in the past. I need to be able to print hard copy (laser) for a mom and pop print shop for offset printing. I've had some problems with various files in the past...and a guy is getting a graphic ready for me to use and I want to be sure to tell him what type of file will work and what will not. Thanks. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00C4_01C47909.C62470C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

Clndr wk/mnth view: How to make "today" a differnet color?
Hello It is very difficult to visually see "today" since all dates have same background colour, especially in month view & week view. Is there any way of making "today's" box have a different background colour from the rest of the days shown? I have tried every search string I could to find this out, but could find nothing for outlook XP in Knowledge Base or on-line help Thank you for your help Tom ...

Can Excel autosize merged cells yet?
Begging everyone's indulgence with an old Q: I'm using a somewhat dated version of Excel. (Where it says "Tools" on the menu, it means "polished stones".) In the past, Excel couldn't autosize merged cells--thereby preventing, oh, that small segment of Earth's population that is actually literate from writing prose in Excel, without having to eyeball and manually adjust the height of every miserable row thruout your entire workbook containing prose wrapped across merged cells. A quick search of microsoft.public.excel.* shows that many ancestors of Homo fen...

Link Tables
I am currently building a Customer database, which comprises of 2 parts, namely the the Customer List detailing customer information and Customer Visit Log detailing dates and times of visits to their site. This will be in two separate forms. Just wondering how I can link up the field in both tables together. Because I wanna show the Company Name and Plant Location in both forms but wants it to be inter-connected. Not really familiar with Access functions and stuff. Thanks in advance In order to do this correctly and avoid future problems you should have a Primary Key Field in each ta...

Multi users and linking to Access
I use an Access program in my work environment. I want to link one of my combo boxes in the Access program to an Excel spreadsheet created by another department. The Access database is in constant use and I would like to know what effect this would have on the Excel spreadsheet in terms other departments ability to make changes to the spreadsheet. ie- if Access is using the spreadsheet to populate the values of the combo box, can the other department still make changes to their spreadsheet at anytime?? ...

The links in emails do not work in outlook 2000 ? Any Ideas ?
Can anyone suggest how i fix this problem. Basically when i open an email with a link in it either to open another website or whatever when i clivk the link nothing happends. Do you know how i activate the links ???? try IE's tools, options, programs - reset weblinks. -- "ddanmale" <ddanmale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:837E8B87-10FA-4DF0-9ECB-41A5129E8DCC@microsoft.com... > Can anyone suggest how i fix this problem. Basically when i open an email > with a link in it either to open another website or whatever when i clivk > the > link...

store external db password in a linked table
Hi All, I have an access file which linked with an orcale database. Each time when i query the file, I need to enter the id, pw & server name. Is there a way to store my login information into access so that I dont need to login everytime? Thank you very much!! ...

Cell Formatting with a macro...
Related to a previous topic. I have a worksheet that uses conditional formatting. However, I need to add a 4th condition. I need to code a macro that checks the content of a cell, and then changes the formating (color) of a range of cells if the condition is met. For example if cell M1 is populated with an 'X', then I want excel to change the color of the cells (pattern) for the range A1:M1. Basically, the macro will check for values in the M column and highlight all the cells in the intersecting row. I used conditional formating to perform other tasks, but since Excel only supp...

Different formatting in a cell with a concatenated formula? #2
Yes, if a1 = blue, and b1 = red, and the formula in cell c1 is =a1&b1, want the result to look like this: bluere -- andy281 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andy2812's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1596 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27440 Formulas don't support this character by character formatting. If you can convert the results of the formula to values, you can do it though--but that destroys the formula. andy2812 wrote: > > Yes, if a1 = blue, and...

Check links -item master
Hi there, Is there a way to set the record count in item master to the the real count of existing items in the database when you are going to do a Check link for Inventory|item master?. It keeps a complete list of items including those I have previously deleted. Working on GP10 Built 1319, SQL2008 SP2. Any help would be appreciated -- Gilberto Villegas IT Plus Inc. GP Business Solutions partner Not sure what you are asking. However, check links will cycle through all existing records. It cannot cycle through what you have previously deleted, unless you are keeping history of such i...

Paste from clipboard
What would the command be to paste the clipboards contents to a field on click on a command button please? Try this in the Click event procedure: Me.[NameOfYourTextBoxHere].SetFocus RunCommand acCmdPaste -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "RitchieJHicks" <RitchieJHicks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDAC1510-4948-426D-97F6-27B941510AA1@microsoft.com... > What would the command be to paste the clipboards cont...

cell outside range
Intermittently, a cell erroneously appears outside the range of cells in an active worksheet. This cell contains duplicate data from one of the other cells. I am not able to replicate the sequence of events that causes this cell outside the range of cells to magically appear. I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem. Thanks, Mrs. T Are there any macros in any open workbook? "Mrs. T." wrote: > Intermittently, a cell erroneously appears outside the range of cells in an > active worksheet. This cell contains duplicate data from one of the other > cells. I am ...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

how do i write a sentence in a cell?
im reli confused i dont no how to write a sentence in a exel cell without it running into the cell next to it n its buggin me cos im having to ut a good paragragh in a cell n its not workin Select the column, say col A Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab Check "Wrap text" > OK Now when you type in col A, the text will wrap around w/o running into the next cell. You could of course, increase the width of the column by dragging the right edge of the column header to the right, etc And if you need to break for a new line within the same cell, press Alt + ENTER -- Rgds Ma...

Text don't fit in a cell
Is there a limit to the text count in a cell? I have wrap text on and I even increased my height and width but I can only see up to a certain point of my entry. I even tried making my font smaller but all it does is give me the extra space but still end at the same spot of my entry. If there is a limit, is there a way to override that? Please help. Hi there's a limit of 1,024 characters per cell (in the formula you can see up to 32K). You can extened this limit by manually entering linebreaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Sue K" <anonym...

How to have TAB name to appear in a Excel cell?
How do I get the Worksheet name to appear in an Excel cell? See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH RP "TAB name to appear in a Excel cell?" <TAB name to appear in a Excel cell?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBC0B15-12FC-43FA-9D11-AFD1B4B286BF@microsoft.com... > How do I get the Worksheet name to appear in an Excel cell? Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "TAB name to appear in a Excel cell?" <TAB name to appear in a Excel cell?@discussions.micr...

what happened to[LINK] chart-wrksht,when not same page? (same Wrkb
I have a chart, on separate pg...same Wrkbk. Selcting a Series - does not 'outline' it's data returning to the Wrksht. How do you EDIT? hawk12@peoplepc.com Hi, Simply selecting the series will not change sheet to show you data as you have discovered. Try using the Source Data dialog, this will allow you to swap sheets and see and adjust the data used. Cheers Andy Boswell wrote: > I have a chart, on separate pg...same Wrkbk. Selcting a Series - does not > 'outline' it's data returning to the Wrksht. > How do you EDIT? > > hawk12@peoplepc.com &...

Locate Link Browser #6
When I click a Web link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003, the Web site opens in a browser window and the Locate Link Browser dialog box appears. I am using Windows XP. After research I was giving the following instructions 1. Double-click My Computer. 2. On the View menu, click Folder Options. 3. On the File Types tab, click URL:MailTo Protocol in the Registered File Types list, and then click Edit. 4. In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit. 5. Click to remove the Use DDE check box, and then click OK. 6. Click Close two times. I did thi...

Addition function of multiple cells
Does anyone know if there is a function that will take a list of numbers in different cells and run various addition combinations on the list to detemine which cells will add to a specific number? For example: A1 = 1 A2 = 2 A3 = 5 A4 = 7 I want to know which cells added to gether will give me 6...answer = A1 + A3 On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:11:01 -0700, DB74 <DB74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if there is a function that will take a list of numbers in >different cells and run various addition combinations on the list to detemine >which ce...