How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?

Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet (which
I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking Enable/Disable
macros appears.

Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
option to do it.

Thanks

Mauricio Silva

"Mauricio Silva" <MauricioSilva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?
>
> Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet
(which
> I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking
Enable/Disable
> macros appears.
>
> Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
> know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
> option to do it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mauricio Silva

Do you want the macros to be disabled without asking? I don't think so. I
mean, what if you suddenly want them to be enabled, how should that be done?

/fredrik

Mauricio,

All you have to do is before you open any workbooks go to the tools menu,
select options and then select the security tab. From there you can change
the Macro security, depending on which version of Excel you are using you may
have to click another button called "Macro Security" to adjust the settings.

Hope this helps

Jebaneesa

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

> "Mauricio Silva" <MauricioSilva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?
> >
> > Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet
> (which
> > I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking
> Enable/Disable
> > macros appears.
> >
> > Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
> > know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
> > option to do it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mauricio Silva
>
> Do you want the macros to be disabled without asking? I don't think so. I
> mean, what if you suddenly want them to be enabled, how should that be done?
>
> /fredrik

0
Jebaneesa (3)
3/23/2005 7:41:04 PM
Either set macro security to "High" or hold down the SHIFT key while the book
is opening.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:13:04 -0800, "Mauricio Silva"
<MauricioSilva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?
>
>Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet (which
>I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking Enable/Disable
>macros appears.
>
>Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
>know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
>option to do it.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mauricio Silva

0
Gord
> Either set macro security to "High" or hold down the SHIFT key while the
book
> is opening.

Isn't the macro security a global setting? If so, that would affect other
sheets which the user wants to open with macros enabled.

/Fredrik

Correct.

It would affect all workbooks with macros.

But can be used as a temporary method to get into the one workbook without
macros being enabled.

When done with this workbook, reset the security level.

To quote Abe Lincoln "you can't please all the people all the time"

Gord

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:07:43 +0100, "Fredrik Wahlgren"
<fredrik.p.wahlgren@mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote:

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Either set macro security to "High" or hold down the SHIFT key while the
>book
>> is opening.
>>

>Isn't the macro security a global setting? If so, that would affect other
>sheets which the user wants to open with macros enabled.
>
>/Fredrik

0
Gord
3/23/2005 10:40:05 PM
Actually,
I was hoping for an command line option Like:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe  "My file.xls"
\disablemacros

"Jebaneesa" wrote:

> Mauricio,
>
> All you have to do is before you open any workbooks go to the tools menu,
> select options and then select the security tab. From there you can change
> the Macro security, depending on which version of Excel you are using you may
> have to click another button called "Macro Security" to adjust the settings.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Jebaneesa
>
> "Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:
>

> > "Mauricio Silva" <MauricioSilva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?
> > >
> > > Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet
> > (which
> > > I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking
> > Enable/Disable
> > > macros appears.
> > >
> > > Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
> > > know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
> > > option to do it.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Mauricio Silva
> >
> > Do you want the macros to be disabled without asking? I don't think so. I
> > mean, what if you suddenly want them to be enabled, how should that be done?
> >
> > /fredrik

I do not have Excel on my computer. How do I open an attachment w.
How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have Excel installed on my computer? My model is Windows XP Home. You can use the free viewer available from microsoft web site that only allows viewing. Or, you can find a copy of open office/star office that allows you to import excel files. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF00A029-F488-4D1D-8257-B55F4E96A681@microsoft.com... > How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have > Excel ins...

open/save dialog title broken
The title bar of any Office 2003 program's open/save dialog has just a single letter. Any ideas what's broken? tbone ...

Macros for worksheet copy & paste?
I have 6 different excel files. How can I combine all 6 of them in one single excel file under individual worksheets (E.g. Worksheet1 for File1, worksheet2 for File2 ....etc)? I do not wish to copy & paste it manually. Can I use a macro to take care of it? If so, where can I find further info on how to go about it? THANKS!! Assuming (1) this is a one-time need, and (2) your workbooks have only one sheet each, this would probably be faster done by hand: 1) With all the files open choose one of the files to be the receiving file. 2) Select the sheet in the subsequent books, one at...

Domain Controller Security Policy
Hello I was trying to open both "Domain Controller Security Policy" and "Domain Security Policy", I have the error: "Failed to open the group policy object, you may not have appropriate rights" and in detail section "the parameter is incorrect" I log on as administrator so don't think if it has anything to do with permission and right Thanks everyone TT ...

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

Volume shadow copy -- OK to disable?
I was doing a defrag and it kept stopping because of a conflict with the Volume Shadow Copy service. A quick Internet search turned up a site that recommended disabling the Volume Shadow Copy while defrag is running. http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Defragmenting-pauses-volume-shadow-copy-ftopict212207.htm I did and that fixed the problem. The site said to leave it disabled if I don't need it. It didn't say how I could tell if I need it. I left it disabled and everything seems to be working OK. How can I tell if I can leave it disabled or if I need to reenable it? htt...

enable java in spreadsheet
I have read most of the threads that ask about enabling java i excel...but would appreciate a very clear idea of how to do it. Can Com Add-ins enable java? Thanks, Disma -- disma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dismas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1106 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27659 Hi what do you mean exactly with 'enable JAVA' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "dismas" <dismas.1fgle2@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbe...

can't open files

Date format issue when submitting from a userform to a spreadsheet
Hi, I have a userform that I've generated which routes dates onto a spreadsheet based on the users input. I am having a bit of a frustrating time with the dates, it would appear that in the process of moving the date from the userform to the spreadsheet some dates are switched/transposed. I'll give an example. If someone enters 09/02/2004 on the userform excel seems to look at 09 and assume it is a month and transposes the dates to 02/09/2004(this does not appear to be a US/UK format issues as I have already gone down that road). However, if the date 13/09/2004 is entered i...

Practice downloaded opened but instruction viewer encountered prob
HELP! I downloaded the free trial of 20007 Professional. After viewing Windows Word 2007 Training 1st session, pressed practice session. 2007 word downloaded practice screen but the instruction screen attempted to open but received error message box "MS Office Help Viewer encountered problem and needs to close." Could not get instructions to complete practice!! Trying to get a job and need to review & practice 2007 software asap! Any suggestions? ...

toggling between open work books
Re EXCEL97 under WinXP-Pro w/SR-2 Microsoft Windows allows you to easily toggle between applications using Alt-Tab. Is there a similar key board to toggle between two open workbooks in Excel? One can use Alt-W to display list of open workbooks, but you can�t just blinding hit the up or down arrow, because the most recently accessed workbook is not always at the top or bottom. I realize that I could get around the problem of opening two copies of Excel and then toggling using the Alt-Tab keys, but typically I�ve got two workbooks open in one copy of Excel before I realize I need the f...

Opening for Great Plains Developer in SF Bay Area
Hi, We have a current position open for a Great Plains developer to perform dB maintenance for Great Plains installation. Open to Contract or Contract to Perm. Full job description on request. Please email if you are interested. Thanks, Brendan McIntyre brendan@emailpcs.com ...

Help on Macro or Formula
Hi, i hope someone can help me. i need to create a formula that sits in a cell and looks for data. ( obvioiusly ). however, the formula needs to be in place even though the file from ehere the data comes from might not be there yet. ( i have to create a book that when a new file is created, the links are already in place ). i think it could work with an IF type formula for ( if B2="",""). here is my information. Cell description: A2 = Job no. B2 = Client Name D2 = Actual Spend on project Register!D2 = Job Description Register!H2 = Quoted Amount my path is S:\Clients\...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Opening and formating a CSV file?
Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not 'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each comma-separated field in its own column? -- Terry, West Sussex, UK Try renaming your .csv file to .txt Terry Pinnell wrote: > > Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed > the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data > goes straight into the worksheet...

Open Workbook
I have a query that pulls 2 fields from a table. One field (ReportName) is selected from a form combo box. The second field (ReportLocation) in the query is the full path of the ReportName selected. I want to open the workbook using the ReportLocation, when the ReportName in the form changes. So I need to the code to enter in "On Change" for my form, so whatever report is selected, it opens up. Please help. Thank you in advance. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200802/1 here is my current code that doesn'...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Opening to a default tab?
Hello, Is there a way to get a workbook to default to a certain tab when opening the file? I noticed that it opens to whatever page was open when last saved but I want it to always open to the first sheet regardless. Any ideas? Thank you in advance, Joe Use the Workbook_open event in ThisWorkbook module or an auto_open macro in a regular module sub auto_open() sheets("mysheet").select end sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Joe" <Joe@home.com> wrote in message news:eZpp9EUKEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a wa...

vba code to enable macros
Hi, Can we write a vba code to enable macros. In most of the sites it says we cant do that . The only thing we can do is change the macro setting or work around is hide the sheet which has macros. But none of them will work in my case. Can we change an excel security setting to from macro on open so that macros are enabled. No. If we can do that with code, then so could a hacker with bad intentions. Mike F "varsha12" <varsha12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBEB1614-C956-491B-B351-02DD9F711891@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can we w...

Disable people picker in a sharepoint list
Dear all, I would like to disable the users/groups picker field in a SharePoint list (NewForm.aspx). I managed to disable the field itself (text box) but it's still possible to click on the "Browse" button and search for people that then get eneterd in the field. Is there a way to disable the browsing? Thank you in advance, Hrvoje I think you will delete that column. 1. Settings>List settings>Click you wnat column name on Colums category. 2. Click "delete" button. And then you can make other column. "Hrvoje" wrote: > ...

Work spreadsheet issue
If I have multiple rows of data on a worksheet and on another worksheet I want various counts of rows that have certain things in common, how would I do that? Thanks. -- jenrenea ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jenrenea's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23098 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=373900 Can you provide a sample of your data along with your expected results? -- Domenic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Domenic's...