how to merge data from multiple columns to one column #2

I have first, middle, and last names in A, B, and C. I want to merge
everything into A. Ho do I do that?

In column D use the formula

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

The " " would put in your spaces in between the names.
Then go to column D & do Edit Copy, move to column A & do
Edit Paste.  Then you should be able to delete columns B,
C & D.

Hope that helps!

0
anonymous (74722)
4/6/2005 2:28:21 PM
=CONCATENATE (text1,text2,...)

Text1, text2, ...    are 1 to 30 text items to be joined into a single text
item. The text items can be text strings, numbers, or single-cell references.

Remarks

The "&" operator can be used instead of CONCATENATE to join text items.

"w8ting4hlp" wrote:

> I have first, middle, and last names in A, B, and C. I want to merge
> everything into A. Ho do I do that?
0
GWBDirect (26)
4/6/2005 10:49:03 PM
Thanks for the help

"GWB Direct" wrote:

> =CONCATENATE (text1,text2,...)
>
> Text1, text2, ...    are 1 to 30 text items to be joined into a single text
> item. The text items can be text strings, numbers, or single-cell references.
>
> Remarks
>
> The "&" operator can be used instead of CONCATENATE to join text items.
>

> "w8ting4hlp" wrote:
>
> > I have first, middle, and last names in A, B, and C. I want to merge
> > everything into A. Ho do I do that?
I also have the same question.  I have used the methods listed here and have
successfully displayed all text in one cell with this formula.  However, if I
delete the adjoining cells that the formula refers to, I get a #REF# error.

Is there a way to actually merge text from multiple cells in to a single cell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"momtoaj" wrote:

> In column D use the formula
>
> =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1
>
> The " " would put in your spaces in between the names.
> Then go to column D & do Edit Copy, move to column A & do
> Edit Paste.  Then you should be able to delete columns B,
> C & D.
>
> Hope that helps!

0
JeffC1 (37)
6/22/2005 10:18:02 PM
Jeff

After concatenating the cells into one using the =A1 & B1 etc. copy those
formula cells then, in place, paste special>values>OK>Esc.

You can now delete the original cells.

"Merging" cells will retain only the data from the top leftmost cell.

"Merged" cells cause no end of problems with copying, sorting, filtering.

Leave that feature alone as much as possible.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:18:02 -0700, "JeffC" <JeffC@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I also have the same question.  I have used the methods listed here and have
>successfully displayed all text in one cell with this formula.  However, if I
>delete the adjoining cells that the formula refers to, I get a #REF# error.
>
>Is there a way to actually merge text from multiple cells in to a single cell?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>"momtoaj" wrote:
>
>> In column D use the formula
>>
>> =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1
>>
>> The " " would put in your spaces in between the names.
>> Then go to column D & do Edit Copy, move to column A & do
>> Edit Paste.  Then you should be able to delete columns B,
>> C & D.
>>
>> Hope that helps!

0
Gord

Banking Services Update Problem #2
I have successfully completed all of the steps as provided for in the update instructions. Initially updates were received as usual. However, now all of the accounts that were disabled and set-up again are failing to update. Message received is "Update unsuccessful" and call summary message is "Microsoft Money could not update your account. Please try to update your account again." Also after updating, the accounts that were updated never displayed a password text box. I went through the disable and set-up process again and still no password text box on the upd...

Need some advanced help on this one!
Hi guys, I found a sample Access program that takes data from its database to generate an EDI EDIFACT ORDERS file (OrdersS93a.edi). Here is the code: Private Sub Command0_Click() Dim oEdiDoc As Fredi.ediDocument Dim oSchema As Fredi.ediSchema Dim oInterchange As Fredi.ediInterchange Dim oGroup As Fredi.ediGroup Dim oTransactionset As Fredi.ediTransactionSet Dim oSegment As Fredi.ediDataSegment Dim oConn As ADODB.Connection Dim oRsInterchange As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsGroup As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsTransactionSet As ADODB.Reco...

More Columns #2

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Linking files 2 ways

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

data sort

Goal Seek #2

Pulling data from separate tabs

Contacts in Exchange #2

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

predict future data

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Formula for cross tab data filling

Help with importing data

Contact oddity and why are there 2 Contact Lists?
Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed in the TO:. I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I run a high school mailing list here) so I decided to check it out and changed the last name to all caps. Sure enuf the next email I rec'd showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name in the contact list and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>) Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru WLM and one thru Windows Contacts? I'm confused. ...

anyone else having problems with the 12.1.9 "autoupdate"? #2
Hi all... The 11.5.5 autoupdate worked fine. The 12.1.9 autoupdate downloads (apparently), but then it goes right back to showing that the 12.1.9 update is available -- the updater itself never actually launches. Busy servers, maybe -- and the download isn't ever actually completing? Or bad updater on the update server for 12.1.9? The manual download from Mactopia of 12.1.9 installed properly -- this is just the auto-update that's not working now. - Steve You're right, the auto-update fail. It should be pulled or a message sent instructing to update by downloading directly...

GPS 8 service pack 2 and add new company
After installing service pack 2 for GP 8, I am not able to add or log on to the new company. Error during upgrade is “Entries haven't made to all required fields. Would you like to show the required fields on all windows in greatplains” When I try to log on to GP getting another error “file for this company have not been updated” Please help Rajesh ...

how to create a multiple conditional formula
I am trying the find a solution for the following multiple formula (example); IF(A1="K"; B1+(B1*C10);B1) AND IF(A1="N";B1+(B1*C11);B1). So actually two expressions in one formula. I can't find a good solution. Is there anybody who can help me? Thank you in advance. Ad Buijs =B1+B1*IF(A1="K",C10,if(A1="N",C11,0)) "Ad Buijs" wrote: > I am trying the find a solution for the following multiple formula (example); > IF(A1="K"; B1+(B1*C10);B1) AND IF(A1="N";B1+(B1*C11);B1). So actually two > expressions ...