How to make a cell equal another cells colour?

I have conditional formatting on a set of values to highlight high/low values
using a 2-colour scale.

Is there a way I can get another set of cells to mirror the colour alone
without changing their values?

Many thanks in advance

Sam.D

Have them use the same conditional format rules, simply references the cells
they are "mirroring".

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Sam.D" <SamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have conditional formatting on a set of values to highlight high/low
>values
> using a 2-colour scale.
>
> Is there a way I can get another set of cells to mirror the colour alone
> without changing their values?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Sam.D

0
Luke
3/24/2010 5:09:13 PM
Unfortunately that won't work as the 2 sets of cells have different values
ie: the first set are variable numbers and the second set are dates.

I want the 2 scale colour on the set of variable numbers to overlay onto the
set of dates without changing based on the date value.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well.

Thanks for your help

Sam.D

"Luke M" wrote:

> Have them use the same conditional format rules, simply references the cells
> they are "mirroring".
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "Sam.D" <SamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have conditional formatting on a set of values to highlight high/low
> >values
> > using a 2-colour scale.
> >
> > Is there a way I can get another set of cells to mirror the colour alone
> > without changing their values?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance
> >
> > Sam.D
>

> .

in the conditional formatting for the second group change it to 'formula is'
and then create a formula using the first group of cells with the same
evaluation criteria as before. For example:

select cell 'A2'
Format, conditional formatting,
chage default (cell value is) to Formula is
in the formula box put '=and(a1=1, b1=2);'
and so on
then put formatting as before.

hth

regMigrant
"Sam.D" wrote:

> Unfortunately that won't work as the 2 sets of cells have different values
> ie: the first set are variable numbers and the second set are dates.
>
> I want the 2 scale colour on the set of variable numbers to overlay onto the
> set of dates without changing based on the date value.
>
> Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Sam.D
>
> "Luke M" wrote:
>
> > Have them use the same conditional format rules, simply references the cells
> > they are "mirroring".
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Luke M
> > "Sam.D" <SamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have conditional formatting on a set of values to highlight high/low
> > >values
> > > using a 2-colour scale.
> > >
> > > Is there a way I can get another set of cells to mirror the colour alone
> > > without changing their values?
> > >
> > > Many thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Sam.D
> >

> > .

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

credit card trans from one to another
My wife has her own copy of money 2003 on her own computer. She downloads monthly credit card transactions and then goes through each transaction and assigns a category/subcategory. She prints out a monthly transaction report and gives it to me. I then pay it via an online bank and use split transactions to enter the category/subcategory information manually. The transaction then shows up as being a bank rather than credit card transaction in the reports. As an attempt to avoid the manual transfer of information, she exported the transactions to a gif file. I then import them to my money. On...

referencing another sheet and using auto fill
Hi there. I'm trying to create a summary sheet to summarise data from 12 sheets (jan to dec). I have 84 lines each with a member of staff and I need to produce a table with the totals of thei leave in each month. Each seperate month sheet has 84 lines and a total for each person already on it. I need to end up with something like this on the summary sheet: jan feb mar etc total peter's leave totals for month and year: 3 4 1 8 john's leave totals for month and year: 7 2 3 ...

Rename database Object from another Database
I need to Delete a table and rename other table with the name of the deleted table. But I wan to do all this from another database using VBA Hi, you can do something like this, air code to show the idea: dim dbs as database set dbs=dbengine.opnedatabase ("c:\my.mdb") dim tdf as tabledef set tdf=dbs.tabledefs("MyTable") tdf.name="NewTableName" dbs.close and you can use TableDefs.Delete to delete table -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog.net http://www.PointLtd.com "Manuelauch" <Manuelauc...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

Axis label that corresponds to cell
I have an interactive graph which graphs data from a set column. This column changes depending on what is selected on a list selector. I was wondering if there is a way to label the y axis whatever was in, say cell AD11. I was hoping that that this would be something easy that I could write into the excel chart wizard, like =$AD$11, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated. -- pete3589 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pete3589's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28402 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Auto fill cells with dates, exclude weekends?
What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wondering if there was anyway for it to skip the weekends within the dates? Thanks in advance. Hi Sam rather than dragging with the left mouse button down, drag with the right .... when you let go you'll see an option for fill weekdays. Cheers JulieD "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:af3901c4796d$85dff660$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates > (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wo...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

dynamic cells
Hi! I wonder if somebody could help me with the following problem: I have two columns with cells containing some values B1..B22, C1..C22 everyday I add a new cell e.g. B23 and C23, B24 and C24,... I wonder if I use these cells in a forumla like REGR how to write in order to avoid updating the formula every day? REGR(B1:B22;C1:C22) TIA Anders. Anders, You could create a dynamic named range for each of your ranges. In your example, if you have no data below your list you could: Insert->Name->Define Input the name then in 'Refers To' type =offset (B1,0,0,counta(B:B),1) ...

Query to show empty cells
I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to show an empty cell? Try out the query with IsNull as criterion. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer the question? "xololady" wrote: > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the > addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to sh...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

When you click a hyperlink in a cell i get a Warning message
This message is about harmfull files and gives you an OK and CANCEL. Is it at all possable to disable this particualr message because i have a document full of hyperlinks and its getting anoying!!!! Thanks. ...

excel's active cell
how to highlight the active cell with a color each time it moves angelaexceluser, have a look at Chip's addin here for one way to do it, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "angelaexceluser" <angelaexceluser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48BB20C8-3DF8-43AB-B913-9CDB2A288748@microsoft.com... > how to highlight the active cell with a color ...

Keystrokes and mouse clicks to another app
Hi all, I'm managing a project that will, as part of it, require me (so I'm told) to type in 800 NI numbers. I have the numbers in a file, but they can't (or won't) upload them. I was therefore considering writing an app that will enter these numbers via their interface, by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks to their window. I'm guessing that I need to get a handle to it and then send it messages, but that's as far as I've got. I believe that the app is web-based, running in IE6. It may be more effort to do it this way, of course, but it'll be a lot more int...

How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat
I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a week. The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells in my equation. Here is what I'm typing: =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)). I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel. I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space. Any help will be appreciated. -Ryan take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Kis...

Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously
I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a large worksheet simultaneuously. I want to identify the range and then adjust the formula in the entire range. Is there a way that I can highlight the range and then change to formula in each, simultaneously? For example, if I wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would I do this? Thanks, Michael You could put 2 in an empty cell. Copy it Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section. Then clear out that 2. But it really depends on what kind of change you're making. If you wanted to ad...

Copying one cell to muliple cells #2
Cell a1 is a date cell. Cells b1-b30 are date cells. What I am trying to do is every time that I enter a new date in Ai, I want it to go to a blank cell in b column and not over write the dates that are already there. A B 2/3/04 1/6/04 1/20/04 1/25/04 2/3/04 right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this>format col B as desired date >save. Now when you put a date in a1 such as 8/1, the last cell+1 in col b will get that date. Private Sub Worksheet_...

Condensing text values from one wksht to another
I have text data in column A of sheet one that is too lengthy. I wish to condense the data by copying JUST that data that leads up to the first space (break in the string)and copy to column A of sheet two. Example: blah,blah,blah blahhhh becomes blah,blah,blah. Is there a formula for the destination cell in sheet two that will accomplish this task, or does it require vba? If so, could someone walk me through it?? I am nearing desperation. Please help!!!! Jayceejay, In cell A1 of sheet2 fill in this formula and copy it down to A?? =LEFT(Sheet1!A1,FIND(" ",Sheet1!A1,1)-1) I ass...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

Outlook 2007 signature not showing up in colour
I have setup a signature with a logo in Outlook 2007 and it will not show with colour or a logo. Any ideas??? It works fine an other computer. On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:02:26 -0700 (PDT), samdev <laura@noblesoftwaresolutions.com> wrote: >I have setup a signature with a logo in Outlook 2007 and it will not >show with colour or a logo. Any ideas??? It works fine an other >computer. are you sure its set to html and not text On Oct 5, 10:27=A0pm, Ant T <nos...@nospam.com> wrote: > On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:02:26 -0700 (PDT), samdev > > <la...@noblesoftwaresolutions....

How do I make my publication my background on the computer?
I made a collection of pictures in a collage form and wanted to use it as a background on computer, how do I save it in a picture form so the control panel will recognize it? Which version of Publisher are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Punky" <Punky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99C939A3-824B-45E9-8F05-421BDD7DFA83@microsoft.com... >I made a collection of pictures in a collage form and wanted to use it as a > background on computer, how do I save it in a p...

Entering Data to make a list?
Is there a way that when I enter something into A1 &B1 it will fill down on a List? Like if I type apples in A1 & $12 in B1 on a certain sheet it will copy Apples and $12 , then if I type Pears & $5 it will copy to the next blank cell and so on -- Thanks in advance for your help....Bob Vance .. .. .. .. Bob I'm assuming you have this list on another sheet. This little macro will do the following: When you enter something in B1 of the first sheet, it will copy A1:B1 to the bottom of the list in Columns A & B of the second sheet. It will then clear (erase) the conte...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

Open another program sing VBA
Hi all, I would like to open another program, (MYOB), by clicking its picture that I've pasted to a worksheet. I know how to assign a macro to the picture but I'm having difficulties in writing the macro to execute the MYOB program. Rob Hi Rob, Right-click the picture and assign a hyperlink to it. Ed Ferrero "Rob" <NA> wrote in message news:ONCsTTYMFHA.3796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I would like to open another program, (MYOB), by clicking its picture that > I've pasted to a worksheet. I know how to assign a macro to the picture...