How to lock a column

I want to lock column B in my worksheet (meaning I want it hidden and no one
should be able to unhide it). And also, I have two tabs in my worksheet that
I don't want anyone to see but they need to be in that file.

Thanks!

forum (466)

These would depend on the security of a protected worksheet/workbook.

The bad news is that worksheet/workbook protection (under tools|protection) in
excel is not made for this kind of thing.  It can be broken in a matter of
minutes.

If you really have secure data that other shouldn't see, don't put it in
excel--or don't share that workbook with others.

"Patty via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

> I want to lock column B in my worksheet (meaning I want it hidden and no one
> should be able to unhide it). And also, I have two tabs in my worksheet that
> I don't want anyone to see but they need to be in that file.
>
> Thanks!

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)

Reporting dynamic columns ?
Hi a good question We need to have a line for each sales order and all products should be listed in columns, the problem is there can be different number of products. How can this be done, we need the data in excel. Maybe with a report ? I have no clue :) Any ideas are welcome /Jack On Feb 13, 8:24=A0am, "CRM consultant" <nom...@der.dk> wrote: > Hi > > a good question > > We need to have a line for each sales order and all products should be > listed in columns, the problem is there can be different number of produc= ts. > > How can this be done...

Excel
Hi, I am trying to populate blank cells in my spreadsheet with value from another column. For example I have a column J with some blan fields in it. I am looking for a formula I could use to populate thes fields with the corresponding column value in DQ. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Select column J. Then Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks This will select all blank cells in the column, with the first one highlighted. Type = and then enter the corresponding reference in DQ. You can then hit Ctrl Enter to populate all...

How to protect so SOME columns stay hidden?
Hi, I'm looking to set up protection on a worksheet so that the hidden columns STAY hidden (& can't be opened by a 2nd user without the proper password) but preferably so that that user would still be able to format columns in general (i.e. border, alignment, fills, etc). The only way that I've been able to keep people from accessing those hidden columns is to block their ability to format ALL columns. Ideally, I'd also like to have some of those columns be truly hidden & inaccessible (effectively missing) to everyone but me, while other columns will be hidden...

Hiding Columns (using Subtotal???)
I know how a spreadsheet uses Subtotals along the left margin, however, I saw another that also had them across the very top. All the +/- boxes seemed to do is to hide a series of columns. How is this accomplished? I could use this feature in another spreadsheet but cannot seem to recreate it using Subtotals. -- Regards... Hi 'Data - Grouping' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany cincode5 wrote: > I know how a spreadsheet uses Subtotals along the left margin, > however, I saw another that also had them across the very top. All > the +/- boxes seemed to do is...

can I add a column to only the bottom half of the page in Excel?
I have 2 charts in one worksheet and I was wondering if I could add a row to the bottom one without affecting the top one? Hi i'm confused, in the title you mention adding a "column", in the body of the message you say "row" - you also talk about charts (which are what Excel calls graphs) .. so if you could provide further clarification as to how your workbook looks and what you'ld like to happen i'm sure we can assist. Cheers JulieD "MWilliford" <MWilliford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E8304D0-9D86-41E4-A86B-7173411...

How can I count the number of entries in a column?
I wish to construct Auction Lists for my Philatelic Society. At present I make the list up in an Acces DB and then transfer it to Excel (2003). At this point I add extra columns to cater for "Bidders #'s"; "Selling price"; "Price to Buyer";"Return to Vendor"; & "Return to Club", complete with relevant formulae. So far so good, I now wish to add, at the base of these columns, via a macro initially, a summary of data as entered. I also want to show, and use, in order to locate this data, the "TOTAL NUMBER OF LOTS". Si...

Sorting multiple time data based on time value on column A
Review the attachment. You'll see 2 sets of data, "What I have" and "What I want". Of course, this is only a sample data, my actual data sheet has over 10,000 rows and 25 columns. The basic idea is to have some sort of script or formula where all the time match in 1 row, yet the value stays the with time during sorting. What I have Time 1 Value 1 Time 2 Value 2 Time 3 Value 3 7:00 a 7:00 e 7:00 h 7:01 b 7:02 f 7:02 i 7:02 c 7:03 g 7:03 d What I want Time 1 Value 1 Time 2 Value 2 Time 3 Value 3 7:00 a 7:00 e 7:00 h 7:01 b 7:02 c 7:02 f 7:02 i 7:03 d 7:03 g Please a...

Need Formula to "Adjust" to New Column Assignment
Within the same workbook, I have 3 worksheets: Control, Upload, and Audit. Upload J2 = 500 Control J2 = 200 Currently, I have the following formula in the Audit worksheet: =IF((upload!J2-control!J2=0)," ",(upload!J2-control!J2) So, Audit J2 = 300. I then need to insert a column in all three worksheets between I and J. So the values that were formerly in Column J are now in Column K. Upload K2 value = 500 Control K2 value = 200 But the formula in Audit K2 still references J, so it's not showing 300. I need the formula that is now in Column K to be: =IF((upload!...

Users can log on after account is locked out
I am having problems figuring this out. If a user enters the wrong password 3 times, they are locked out and displays a message. If they enter the correct password the next time, it allows them to log on to the computer, but their account is locked out and have no access to the network. Why does it allow them to do this? Should it not display a message you are locked out and not allow you to log on at all? The DC is Windows 2003 standard and all of the workstations are XP Prof. Thanks. Hello pete0085, How are the GPO settings configured in the policy on domain leve...

Creating a Report from one column of a table
I am not sure if this is possible to do but am hoping it is. I've created a database that gives information on clients and jobs. People fill out a form of a person details and tick different jobs - theres about 50 to choose, but no more than 10 would be picked for one person. Once they are ticked, it is shown in the table all correctly. What i am hoping to do is produce a report for each job - over 50 reports. But the report only shows one of the column/ticked boxes. For example, if theres 20 people and out of them 5 have the job 'retail' ticked, the report for Retail will only...

Problems with Columns
Attempting to change existing text to two columns but sections in wrong order when changed to columns. What could be causing this? ...

System locks up on Send / Receive after upgrading to Windows XP Pro
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C7265F.127A9300 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have Outlook 2000 set up with three accounts. After upgrading my system from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro, every = few minutes this happens: 1) there's a "ripple" on the video monitors 2) mouse and keyboard input is locked for between 5 and 10 seconds It's hard to pin this on Outlook, but I believe that it happens during = the automatic Send/Receive cycle. It seems not to ha...

Locking an Appointment
We're using Outlook 2007 Calendar to schedule people and resources. We have a shared calendar used by several people, and all need add/delete/edit permission. Sometimes we have an appointment that we don't want anyone other than the creator to change. Is there a way to lock or otherwise restrict permissions on a single appointment? Thanks. "ghillie30" <ghillie30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E257031E-21AF-4A03-8BF6-8DDA660AC5DB@microsoft.com... > We're using Outlook 2007 Calendar to schedule people and resources. We have > a...

Calendar Spreadsheet: Column 1 = Date, Column 2 Time of Day, Column 3 memo text field
I am an excel novice. Looking for a template or instructions on how to create a Calendar Spread Sheet with a single line for each day. I.E. Left Hand Column Would be a date Column Friday June 1st, 2007 Saturday June 2nd, 2007 or to make it more simple Friday 06/01/07 Saturday 06/02/07 .... and so on (want to start with 2006) 2nd Column should be time of day Want to be able to manually insert a duplicate a line, e.g. more than one event on a given day. Like to know how to create additional columns that are true false and/or time of day fields. Also want a final column that is a variable...

lock rows on sort
I'm working on a large table (about 2000 rows, 50 columns). I frequently have to sort the entire table based on one column, and I keep forgetting and sort just the column, disassociating the rest of the data from that column. Is there a way to lock rows so that I can't make this mistake, so that whenever I sort a column it sorts the whole table based on that column? Ken Benson Use Access instead? Kenneth C. Benson wrote: > I'm working on a large table (about 2000 rows, 50 columns). I frequently > have to sort the entire table based on one column, and I keep forgettin...

How to sort random numbers in columns
I need to insert numbers out of order in columns, how can I sort them into correct order in columns. Select your range and do Data|sort??? (Not sure if I understood the real question, though.) webehere wrote: > > I need to insert numbers out of order in columns, how can I sort them into > correct order in columns. -- Dave Peterson That doesn't work. I have approx 5000 items to scan into a file, they are numbered 1 thru 5000. i have to scan them out of order. I want to keep a list of scanned items in numerical order. but, I have to scan them at random. I need to enter t...

Alter table Add column to merge publication
We are currently on SQL Server 2008 and I would like to add a column to a table that exists in our merge replication. Below is what I ran in our test environment Alter Table TableName Add ColumnNameTypeID uniqueidentifier Null The column was added, but the Default value or Binding was set to NewID() and the RowGuid property was set to Yes. I would like the Default value or Binding not set to anything and the RowGuid set to No. Is there a way to do this using the Alter Table command? The new column added is a FK to another table. I am thinking after the column is adde...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

FRx reports with 50+ columns
Does anyone have any experience with reports this wide in FRx generating successfully? Especially using currency conversion also? I've built a couple for a client but they don't display or export to Excel very nicely. Wondering if there's some secret to making large reports like this work or if it's just too much for FRx to handle gracefully. Thx, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Frank, My wife built 50+ column FRx report for Telemundo and New World Networks, both in Florida and she says she found no issues and this was going back...

Column widths #4
To adjust the width of the columns, I first select the columns then use FORMAT/COLUMN/AUTOFIT SELECTION. I then do FILE/SAVE and FILE/CLOSE. Then, when I do FILE/OPEN, the column-widths are the same as they were before I used AUTOFIT. Why aren't the column-widths being saved? If you're opening the "csv" file from Excel the width will not get saved, since it's not an Excel file... Are you using xl97? There have been lots of posts complaining that sometimes xl97 won't keep the columnwidths between closing and reopening. One suggestion is to make sure that ...

Number of Column Limitations
I haven't counted the number of columns, but the limitation of A through IV is rather short-sighted. Of course the number of rows of 65,536 seems sufficient. Just the disparaging difference between the number of columns versus the number of of rows seems to limit the function because the user has to modify the application (what I'm using it for) to conform to the limitations of the program. This is just a complaint, nothing more. Hi Kbarrios, > I haven't counted the number of columns, but the limitation of A through IV > is rather short-sighted. > And many, man...

Selecting matching items in a column
I need to sort matching numbers from a column. For example, 12345 12.00 23456 10.00 34567 8.00 34567 -8.00 45678 6.50 56789 14.50 56789 -8.25 67890 -1.00 67890 -5.00 78901 -2.00 Result 34567 8.00 34567 -8.00 56789 14.50 56789 -8.25 67890 -1.00 67890 -5.00 One way highlight the range. Data>Sort> HTH "Panajohn" wrote: > I need to sort matching numbers from a column. For example, > > 12345 12.00 > 23456 10.00 > 34567 8.00 > 34567 ...

Compare two columns in a different worksheet
Good day everyone, With the following code, you compare data between two columns in a different worksheet, and the results are transferred to a third one. Sub test() Dim T(), A As Long Dim Rg As Range, Rg1 As Range With Worksheets("month") Set Rg = .Range("B1:B" & .Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row) End With With Worksheets("Data received") Set Rg1 = .Range("A1:A" & .Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row) End With For Each c In Rg If Application.CountIf(Rg1, c) = 0 Then ReDim Preserve T(A)...

Column Headings #5
I'm using Excel 2002 I've managed to get the column headings stuck on numbers, as well as the row headings, and I really want the column headings back as letters, so it's easier to differentiate. Can someone tell me where the option is, please? Tools>options>general uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:041b01c3dd42$d1a90180$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using Excel 2002 > > I've managed to get the column headings stuck on numbers, > as well as the row...

I've run out of columns
I'm creating a template for a report where I need to fit in 12 weeks with each 7 days with each 3 columns and this has proven to be just one week too much for the columns available. I have reached column "IV" but still need another 18 columns to complete the sheet. How can I create them? Whenever I try to insert colums I am told that Microsoft Excel cannot shift cells with non-blank data off the worksheet.... I hope someone can help, thanks a million to all in advance.... Helga Hi You can't. Read about 'Microsoft Excel Specification' in 'Getting Started&...