How to link cells only if...

In cell a1 I have an option for an "y" "n".  Based on that cell I want
to link cell b1 to cell d1.  If it is "Y" then link it, if it is "n"
then I want it to go to cell b1 and check it and so forth.  I only want
to link the items in column "b" that have a "y" next to them.  I can do
this for one cell and even skip and go until I find the first "Y".
What I can not do is make the second link start after it has found the
first "y" in column "A".  Can anybody please help.  This is the 3rd
time I am asking for help.  I have searched and haven't found what I am
looking for.  Yes I am a noob to this particular forum but I have never
had this much trouble getting an acknwledgment of my question, much
less an answer.  So please if there is something I am doing wrong in
here, let me know.  I know everyone is helping of their own free will,
and believe me it is appreciated.

Candy

--
CNA48
CNA48's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28686

Candy,
I have not seen your previous posts but I cannot understand from this
one what exactly you are looking for. What do you mean by "linking"?
Also, what do you mean by "go back to cell b1 and check it"?

In general, you would be using a formula *somewhere* like
=IF(A1="y", ___link___, ___don;t link___)

But I don't even know if this formula should go to D1 or some other
cell. And of course I cannot tell what should go to the 2nd and 3rd
arguments.
Please be more specific.

Kostis Vezerides

0
vezerid (64)
11/10/2005 7:58:01 PM
Thank you for responding.  I am trying to create a shipping list.  In m
first column I have a list of items with an indicator for whether t
ship that item or not.

DESCRIPTION         SHIP

chair

desk                         X

table

lamp                         X

what I would like to do is link this information to my shipping lis
based on whether or not there is an "x".

my shipping list should look like this

desk

lamp

I need to create this list into seperate cells so that I can link t
only the ones I need later.  Again thank you for your time.
Cand

--
CNA4
CNA48's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48405

Try the response to your later post in .worksheet.functions
--
Rgds
Max

demechanik (4694)

Copy cell range to another sheet
Hi Guys, I am looking for some help. I have a macro that I have adapted from Ron de Bruin. Instead of setting the SourceRange explicitly I would like to code something like this: Select Sheets("List").Range("e2") then select until the column is empty and use that as my SourceRange. Sub copy_1() Dim SourceRange As Range Dim DestRange1 As Range Dim DestRange2 As Range Dim DestRange3 As Range Dim DestRange4 As Range Dim DestSheet1 As Worksheet, Lr As Long Dim DestSheet2 As Worksheet Dim DestSheet3 As Worksheet Dim De...

How do you count cells with background color yellow?
Can anyone tell me a formula that will count the number of yellow cells in a range. I used =countif(AV2:HM2,"interior.colorindex = 36"). I don't get a error message. I get "2", when it shoudl be 3 -- no matter how many yellow cells there are, I always get "2". What am I doing wrong? sd There is no built in function to count colours of cells, no formula will do it. It can be done though using code, have a look at this on Chip Pearsons site, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Regards, Alan, "Stephanie D" <Stephanie D@discussions.micro...

#Ref! in cells of row linked to deleted row
Does one just delete the row? Why wasn't it just deleted like the row i the database since it was linked to it? Thanks, Trud -- lburg80 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lburg801's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2833 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48026 ...

can't Link from web page to specific location in Excel
I found some articles for Excel 97 and 2000 that said I could append #<Sheetname>!<Range> to the end of my href attribute to open an Excel workbook to a specific location. I couldn't get it to work with Excel 2003. Any insight would be appreciated. ...

Outlook 2002 clicking links slowed by update
Has anyone else experienced that when you load the windows update for Internet Explorer 6 that is supposed to prevent URL spoofing, that clicking on links in emails becomes extremely slow?? When this happens the system CPU time is basically idling at 80%-100%, and the "SYSTEM" task is taking up 0%-20% of CPU, and it takes about 30 seconds for the link to come up in a browser, where it used to take only 3-5 seconds. I run an RSS news feed reader known as Newsgator, and need to be able to click on links quickly to read through the various posts, which are treated like email m...

Wrong Methods Called from Regular DLLs Dynamically Linked to MFC
I have created an abstract base class in a non-mfc dll and exported that class like so. #ifdef EXPORTING #define DLLEXPORT __declspec(dllexport) #else #define DLLEXPORT __declspec(dllimport) #endif class DLLEXPORT AbstractBaseClass { virtual void meth1()=0; } In the same header I have exported a global pointer to the abstract base class from a non-mfc dll as follows. extern "C" DLLEXPORT AbstractBaseClass* globalPtr; In a seperate non-mfc dll I have created a class that inherits from AbstractBaseClass. class DLLEXPORT ImplementationOfAbstractBaseClass : public AbstractB...

Counting the number of letters in a cell
Can Excel count the numbers of letters in a cell that has mixed letters and numbers? Can you restrict =LEN to only letters (or only numbers)? IE - ABC123 # of letters = 3 Thanks, Adam -- beefycj5 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ beefycj5's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16353 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375769 Are they always in the same format Adam? ie 3 letters, 3 numbers. I they are try a combination of the LEFT and LEN functions. ie *=LEN(LEFT(A1))* etc...

Search cell value in more than one workbook
Is there anyway I can serch for a cell value in more than one workbook? I have workbooks that are saved in one folder nad I need to be able to find cell value and determin in which file (or workbook) it appears. Using the find and replace would look only in one workbook. Thank you Hi, I think you need code for this. The code below opens every workbook in a directory and call a sub where you can look for your value Sub LoopThroughDirectory() Application.DisplayAlerts = False 'Change this to your directory MyPath = "C:\" ActiveFile = Dir(MyPath & "*.xls...

too many different cell formats #7
This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond. I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to open the workbook??? I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon. Thanks. It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open it. I sure don't. ...

FormatGmt broken on Windows XP if MFC dynamically linked ??
MFC42 v6.0.400, VC++, Visual Studio 6 We have a class which uses the FormatGmt like this: CTime now = CTime::GetCurrentTime(); setlocale(LC_TIME,"uk"); CString display = now.FormatGMT(now, "%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S GMT"); setlocale(LC_TIME,""); When we run our application in Windows XP the %a and %b specifiers return ???. When we run the same app in Windows 2K everything works. If we compile with MFC as a static library it all works all the time. We are confused! ...

cell contents #3
Hi the code below returns the address of a cell on a worksheet what i want to do is return the cell address subtract 10 from address and read the contents of the new cell address ie cell address = F15 subtract 10 from this to give F5 F5 contains the value 6 i want to reurn 6 as the answer Sub kevin() Dim rng As Range Dim cell As Range Dim rngData As Range Set rng = Range("D15:H15") For Each cell In rng If cell.Text <> "#N/A" Then MsgBox cell.Address Exit For End If Next thanks kevin Sub kevin() Dim rng As Range Dim cell As Range Dim rngData As Rang...

cell to return current date?
How do I get a cell to return the current date in Excel 2000? I want a particular spreadsheet to display the current date in a field each time I open that particular file. Can this be done in Excel 2000? Thanks, John --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "=today()" placed in the cell in question without the quotes --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =TODAY() "jwcater" <jwcater.z9mta@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jwcater.z9mta@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I get a cell to return the current date in Excel 2...

Linking fields within the same project
Playing around an entry table I realized that I can Paste-Link a value from a custom, calculated field, into a non-custom field, such as duration, and that the updates propagate reasonably quickly, without needing to save the file. That seems to circumvent the 'no calculations in non-custom fields' dogma. Has anybody used this to do calculations for non-custom fields? How reliable can this be? No. You still can't get a formula into the built-in field, but your way does it by the back door. Some fields are calculated by MSP only, not user input, so you can't do ...

get data form cells sequentially #3
Thanks, it works a treat. Everything is running correctly now. Thanks again SW -- swmasso ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swmasson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=838 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26161 ...

Linking Excel data to Word table
Is there a way that I can link Excel cell to Word table where when the data in excel cell changes the Word table data will change as well. Many thanks. Yes, there is a way. See Excel help on "About linking to another workbook or program" Specifically the part about "the difference between linking and embedding" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:38:02 -0800, tigermoth <tigermoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way that I can link Excel cell to Word table where when the data >in excel cell changes the Wor...

Exclude specific cell from entire column
Is it possible to exclude the column header from an entire column range, so that it is not included a COUNTA range? This may seem overly simple, but: Just subtract 1 from the formula Example: A1: =COUNTA(B1:B1000)-1 Counts all non-blank cells in B1:B1000, then subtracts 1 for the column header. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Dn_" wrote: > Is it possible to exclude the column header from an entire column range, so > that it is not included a COUNTA range? =IF(LEN(A1)>0,COUNTA(A:A)-1,COUNTA(A:A)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "...

assign formatted cell value to another cell
Hello everyone! If A1 has a floating point number for a date, e.g. 39647.25 for 2008-07-18 06:00:00 and I want to have that formatted string in a new cell - does anyone know a formula to apply to another column, so it puts the *formatted* value there, instead of the original number? I want the string "2008-07-18 06:00:00" as the value of my new cell, and I can't find a way to do that with a Range formula at the moment (I want to avoid looping over each row and doing it manually in VBA, for speed reasons). Thanks in advance! Lars =TEXT(A1,"yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss&q...

Counting changes in fill colors for cells
I am a fairly new user to Excel and need to know if a cell fill color can be used to count as a quanity Depending on what you mean... See XL help for conditional formatting and/or see Chip Pearson's pag on subject of color and UDF (http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm), though the latter might b a bit too much for an XL beginner ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com This would have been a reply from the newsgroup. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -...

cells #2
What I think is not working for me is that when I try to transfer the information from a merged cell, I click the = and choose the merged cell but it will not transfer the text only places a 0. Anyone know why? When I do this with a none merged cell it works. Nick Since you started a new thread, apparently, it's hard to tell what the "what" is that isn't working. For me, text in a merged cell is returned when I select another cell, click the = button and click on the merged cell. In article <vmp1l3ju7cul7d@corp.supernews.com>, "Lord Of The Morning" &l...

How do I prevent Excel from plotting a cell w/ a formula as a "ze. #2
I am setting up a trend chart for 2005 and want to setup the chart now so that it updates each week as data is added. The problem I am having is that the chart is plotting all future "result" cells as "zeros" because of the formula in each cell. I am blanking out all future "result" column cells w/ (IF) logic statements w/ the (ISBLANK) function so nothing appears in the cell until the right date, but its still being plotted as a zero. Is there a way to prevent Excel from plotting these "formula only" cells as "zeros"? ...

Moving Cell Formula 03-19-10
I have a spreadsheet with a summary page and several worksheets following. My formula calculates from a column of data that is updating with new information each week. How can I set up a formula to automatically select the cell below with the new data? Same answer I posted two days ago when you asked same question. "cell below" what? Where is the formula and what is the range it averages? If you place =AVERAGE(A:A) into B1 then as you add data to column A your formula in B1 will pick up the new data. Or place this formula in A2 and insert a row above for ...

Move cells vertically to horizontally
Hey all, I have a series of items that are in a vertical list in Column A and I want to move them to run horizontally. Is there anyway to do this? Thank you! Abe Hi Abe Have a look at the TRANSPOSE function in Excel Help It will do the trick. HTH Michael "Abe" wrote: > Hey all, I have a series of items that are in a vertical list in Column A and > I want to move them to run horizontally. Is there anyway to do this? > > Thank you! > > Abe ...

Some cells or styles in this workbook contain formatting that is
Some cells or styles in this workbook contain formatting that is not supported by the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the closest format available. hi you post sounds like an error message. do you have a question or comment? regards FSt1 "swasta20082009@windowslive.com" wrote: > Some cells or styles in this workbook contain formatting that is not > supported by the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the > closest format available. > ...

how do I set dates every 3 cell for whole year in excel
I would like to know how to put a date in this format 01/01/01 on A1 and I would like excel to to change the date on A3 to 01/02/01 and so on and so forth. how do I do it. for a whole year or two. Enter 01/01/01 Into A1 And 01/02/01 Into A3 You could custom format those 2 cells to display exactly what you wish. Then, select A1 to A4. Click on the fill handle of that 4 cell selection, and copy down as needed. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "...

Creating a hyper link in a message
What is the best way to create a hyper link in an email message. I do not want to attach the file becuase it is so large but want to place it on a shared drive with everyone having access to and providing a link in the email..... ...