how to display a range of cells if "x" appears next to it

I have a list of 700 apartments in unit number order all
with their lease expiration month next to it.  At the
bottom of my worksheet, I want to be able to type "12" in
a cell and have all the units with leases expiring in
December be displayed. I also want their other information
to follow with the unit number (about ten columns).

I appreciate any help I can get, Thank You!
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi,
Check out:
http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#Filter

0
mmzehr (177)
9/9/2004 6:17:51 PM
Hi
a different approach: Use 'Data - Filter' for this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

steve m wrote:
> I have a list of 700 apartments in unit number order all
> with their lease expiration month next to it.  At the
> bottom of my worksheet, I want to be able to type "12" in
> a cell and have all the units with leases expiring in
> December be displayed. I also want their other information
> to follow with the unit number (about ten columns).
>
> I appreciate any help I can get, Thank You!
0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/9/2004 6:22:22 PM
I think I'd use a helper column of cells:

=month(a2)
(to retrieve the expiration month)

then apply Data|filter|autofilter to that column (or the whole range).

Then you could just filter on that column and show only the months you want.

steve m wrote:

> I have a list of 700 apartments in unit number order all
> with their lease expiration month next to it.  At the
> bottom of my worksheet, I want to be able to type "12" in
> a cell and have all the units with leases expiring in
> December be displayed. I also want their other information
> to follow with the unit number (about ten columns).
>
> I appreciate any help I can get, Thank You!

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

text value of a cell
how can I return the text value of a cell useing"sumif" formula Please share with us where ideas like that come from. Sumif is, as its name indicates, supposed to return a sum. Sums are almost always numbers. HTH. Best wishes Harald "formula1" <formula1@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:42F751E8-AF57-423C-9B3B-D325C738DAEF@microsoft.com... > how can I return the text value of a cell useing"sumif" formula If you mean that you wish to total number values that are text formatted, where Sumif() doesn't recognize them as numbers, and ...

Excel: Can I display a chart when the mouse is over a cell?
I have a worksheet and i need to be able to have a range of cells from another worksheet display when the mouse pointer is over a certain cell on the first worksheet. Is there a way to do this? If the range of cells is static and the contents of those cells don't change, you could create a comment for the cells in the first worksheet and put the values of other other worksheet in the comment. Other than that I cannot think of any other way, not even with VBA since XL doesn't raise any event when the cursor is over a particular cell. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta...

Hide Cells with Zero Value in Excel 2007 while using line chart ty
Hello All, I am using Excel 2007 and have a situation with the charting functionality. For example - I am trying to set up automatic update chart update for Jan 08 – Dec 08 data i.e. user just enters data each month and the graph trend shows up each month. I have done this a lot of times but seem to have a unique situation with excel 07 this time when I am using the line chart type to show the trend. The date cells that have some kind of formulas used i.e. if function or Iserror function etc. I tried to test the chart by entering data for January it works fine with bar graph only displ...

Scatter Charts
I am using an XY scatter chart with data that looks like Name Priority Date Lic/Ow Free 12/16/1998 Lic Warner 1/28/1999 Lic Buckmon 7/12/2001 Ow Tucker 12/28/2000 Ow The Y values are the priority dates and x values would Lic or Own. Each dataset would be referenced in vertical columns. The problem is how to change data labels so that reflect the data in the name column and the data in the Lic/Own column. Hope you can help. Thanks. Thanks but I was able to use the XY Chart Labeler from Ap...

How to open embedded documents in excel cells?

"User must change password at next logon" not working in OWA
Hello. I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 environment and when we create a new AD account and check the option for "User must change password at next logon", users that access their account initally via OWA cannot log in. They do cannot log in. The standard OWA error is displayed: You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again. If the change password on first login is disabled, users can login in without any issues. The strange thing is that the Change Password function through OWA works, because afte...

Want to Printing Sheet(x) from Sheet1
Greetings, I would like to print a Worksheet from another active worksheet. Example: From Sheet1: (clicking a cell, button??) If condition 2=true print Sheet2 If condition 3=true print Sheet3 etc Objective: Printing Bank Deposits Slips: We have 5 different accounts in one Bank, we have created 5 protected worksheets each having the fixed data on them (acc# ,acc name, etc). The variable data (deposits, cash back etc) we enter them from Sheet1 using a list we send the data to the corresponding account Sheet(2-6). We want to print only the Sheet that we selected in the list field. Is this...

Range Expression
I am currently using this formula "=H19 & I19" in a column to combine two cells adjacent so cell J19 contains the formula for the contents of H19 & I19. So the issue is this formula is not a range so as I add new rows the formula does not replicate to the new row. How can I change the formula so that it will replicate? FYI, the values in the cells are alpha/numeric so H19 = "A" and I19 = "2", so J19 = "A2" which is the reason I could not use the standard range calculation. Your question is unclear... so, J19 currently display...

Office beta 2011 installer wizard in 10.5.7 shows "Wrong OS version. This software needs Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later"

X button question
I was wondering if I would be able to disble the "x" button only on the userform called "main"? If so how do I do it? Thanks Greg Good afternoon Greg B This is how to do it: Private Sub UserForm_QueryClose(Cancel As Integer, CloseMode A Integer) Cancel = True End Sub Just don't forget to set up a close button, and if you do, don't forge that you can crash out of a macro using ctrl + Break. HTH Dominic -- dominic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Picture with a red X
www.debonisflowers.com I am trying to add a picture to the home page, but all I get is a red X. The picture was sent to me as a PDF. I added some text and converted it to a jpeg via photoshop. I imported the pic to the site. Then added it to the page. I tried to add it using a layer as well as just placing it on the screen. Same results. I've got dozens of pictures on the site that I've not had problems with... all added using layers/ I seem to be having lots of problems since I went to a new PC with Vista. I can't see where that should be a problems tho, ...

Excel Cell Merge
I have a spread sheet with a few merge cells that I can not unmerge. I've used the on-line help but was still unable to find the right operation to unmerge. While on-line I did see this note Note If the Merge and Center button is unavailable, the selected cell may be in editing mode. To cancel editing mode, press ENTER. But it still did not allow the cells to be split. The sheet is not lock protected, any advise? Hi, try selecting the whole sheet and then press the merge and center button "HM" wrote: > I have a spread sheet with a few merge cells that I can not u...

Drop down values relating to cells in next worksheet
Here goes, hope this makes sense! I have a worksheet that contains a questionnaire, which is filled in by choosing the reply from the drop down (Data/Validation) box, e.g. 'Strongly Agree', 'Disagree' etc. I need to be able to make these choices relate to my scoresheet in the next worksheet, so that when 'Strongly disagree' is chosen, a score of 10 is transferred to the related cell in the scoresheet. There are 4 choices - strongly disagree = 10, disagree = 9, agree = 1, strongly agree = 0. I haven't a clue how to do this, hope someone can help! Hi use v...

Extract sheet name/number to cell
Hi, I have a long series of sheets: Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 etc. In each of those sheets, i want to extract the sheet name and turn it into a reference in A1 of that sheet. So, A1 of Sheet1 would refer to cell A1 in the Main sheet (=Main!A1), A1 of Sheet2 to refer to A2 in the Main sheet (=Main!A2) etc. How can I do this? Thanks, Bertie. -- claytorm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382416 ...

Should be able to name Excel sheets based on cells in workbook
Using Excel 2003 from the student/teacher office version. I am trying to make a workbook to track flight hours for all of the pilots in our unit. I want to be able to tell a sheet to get its name from the text in a cell in another sheet in the workbook. I have the last sheet as the "tracking sheet," which has all of the pilots and their hours and ect. What I want to do is automatically name the first sheet by refering it to the cell in the "tracking sheet" that has the first pilots' last name. The the second sheet would get named from the cell with the secon...

Can you dynamically expand the time range to the series data added
I'm trying to create a chart for work. I have the chart with about ten years of dates. A worker will fill in the data (byte count) as the Y-Axis data. The dates are the X-Axis data. I have the dates already filled in (from 1/1/2008-12/31/2029). My question is whether or not Excel can only show data with the dates that have data. I already have it connect when a data point it missing, but I want it to also not show the last 28 years, if I only have the first year of data filled in. I would rather not have to select new series data every day. Three possible approached: 1) I...

How can I stop Excel from displaying alerts?
Hi, I am using Offset formulas in Excel to create dynamic ranges and then plotting a graph of those ranges. At times these dynamic ranges do not return any results and that time i get following error message:- A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that your formula contain a valid path, workbook, range name and cell reference Is there a way to suppress this message? I tried using VBA statement Application.displayalerts=False, but this doesn't work. Thanks and Best Regards, Vikas Hi, I don't believe you can turn the message off. But mayb...

Two Text Lines in one Cell.
Is there is a way to have two text lines in one cell. Please advise. Thanks Peter Peter, When you type text in to a cell, use ALT+Enter to insert a line break. To combine two cells in to a single cell, you can use a formula like =A1&CHAR(10)&A2 . Ensure that the cell has Wrap Text formatting enabled. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B6AFD9D-5C93-46D1-8B00-A2919A3659F8@microsoft.com... > Is there is a way to have two text lines...

Formatting Cells in Excel
I would like to be able to highlight cells which have been changed since the creation date with different patterns. Is this possible? Tools -> Track Changes -> Highlight Changes -- Gary's Student "Cindy" wrote: > I would like to be able to highlight cells which have been changed since the > creation date with different patterns. Is this possible? ...

Excel: counting cells which have dates between specified dates
Hello, I hope you can help me. I would like to be able to count the number of cells which have date between specified dates, for example count the number of cells where the date is in the year 2002 the data in the column is currently in the form dd/mm/yy. Thank you for anyone's help in this, Have a good day. Jacquelin -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com How doos try =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A1:A100)=2002)) Obviously adjust your range to suit your data Suddes "Jacqueline >" wrote: > Hello, > > I hope you can help me. > > I would like to be ...

Can I view image attachments in Outlook like they appear in Outlook Express?
Can I view image attachments in Outlook like they appear in Outlook Express, where they appear underneath the message body? Alternatively, can I "preview" them, rather than having to start up my image editing program just to see them? Thanks. No you can't view them inline. Have you tried changing the default program for opening images to your preview program so that it starts up automatically when you double click on an image attachment? "tasbill" <bill_griffin1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02c501c393c4$d8bc5480$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can I view ima...

Autofit Merged Cells in Excel
I have tried to use Jim Rech's macro to autofit a merged cell in excel. However, I cannot seem to get this to work for my situation. I have (1) row merged in (2) columns (D & E.) What am I doing wrong??? There are three requirements and you mentioned 2. Is Wrap Text set for the active cell? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "kchambers" <kchambers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B18253BC-C422-417C-B81A-A6523EF348C1@microsoft.com... |I have tried to use Jim Rech's macro to autofit a merged cell in excel. | However, I cannot seem to get this to work for...

Does date in Cell A1 occur between the date in M1 and Date in X1
I am wondering if I can get cell J1 to express whether or not the date in A1 occures between the date in M1 and the date in X1. I would like it to simply say "TRUE" or the number "1". Option 2, prefered. I want to list every sunday of the year, by date, and holiday, by date in column A1 thru A?. I then want J1 to say how many of the dates in column A occur between date in M1 and date in X1. The bottom line: I want Sundays and holidays to add 1 day per occurance to a date that a charge is going to begin. It is due to start in two days after a notice wa...

How do I get Excel to go to the first row where the first cell st.
How do I get Excel to go to the first row where the first cell starts with a specific character? I want to place a link for A-E, F-K, l-P, etc., so I can click to gget to the start of a preferred range. CODE returns the numeric code for the first character in a text string. So if cell A1 contained "Frank", CODE(A1) would return 70. Upper and lower case letters return different values, "frank" would return 102, whether this is any help. If you are tryinh to link to a known range you could always set a hyperlink, use the bookmark button to set the link to the range. ...