How to create Conditional Formats that "grow" with copy/fill down.

I would like to set up 1 conditional format that will grow as I copy & paste.
 All I've been able to do is copy the same over & over.  I have tried to
"paste special - format", but it didn't work.  Example:  Cell value is: equal
to, $F$8, then Font is White.  I would like to grow the "$F$8" as I copy &
paste.  Thanks for ANY help.

Try a formula like

=A1=$F$8:F8

--

HTH

RP

"AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to set up 1 conditional format that will grow as I copy &
paste.
>  All I've been able to do is copy the same over & over.  I have tried to
> "paste special - format", but it didn't work.  Example:  Cell value is:
equal
> to, $F$8, then Font is White.  I would like to grow the "$F$8" as I copy &
> paste.  Thanks for ANY help.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/20/2005 1:57:05 PM
Thanks Bob, but, I guess what I DIDN'T say that I should have is:  I want the
format to look at the $F$8's Previous Cell and if it's equal, then make that
cell White.  Then I want to copy that and paste down so it will look at
$F$9's Previous Cell next time, etc.  I don't understand what your formula
will accomplish.... sorry.  Please help me understand.  Thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Try a formula like
>
> =A1=$F$8:F8
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to set up 1 conditional format that will grow as I copy &
> paste.
> >  All I've been able to do is copy the same over & over.  I have tried to
> > "paste special - format", but it didn't work.  Example:  Cell value is:
> equal
> > to, $F$8, then Font is White.  I would like to grow the "$F$8" as I copy &
> > paste.  Thanks for ANY help.

Use $F8 instead of $F$8 then the format will copy down

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> Thanks Bob, but, I guess what I DIDN'T say that I should have is:  I want
> the
> format to look at the $F$8's Previous Cell and if it's equal, then make
> that
> cell White.  Then I want to copy that and paste down so it will look at
> $F$9's Previous Cell next time, etc.  I don't understand what your formula
> will accomplish.... sorry.  Please help me understand.  Thanks.
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> Try a formula like
>>
>> =A1=$F$8:F8
>>
>> --
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> RP
>> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>>

>> "AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I would like to set up 1 conditional format that will grow as I copy &
>> paste.
>> >  All I've been able to do is copy the same over & over.  I have tried
>> > "paste special - format", but it didn't work.  Example:  Cell value is:
>> equal
>> > to, $F$8, then Font is White.  I would like to grow the "$F$8" as I
>> > copy &
>> > paste.  Thanks for ANY help.

0
terre081 (3244)
4/20/2005 2:24:06 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU  :-)

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Use $F8 instead of $F$8 then the format will copy down
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Bob, but, I guess what I DIDN'T say that I should have is:  I want
> > the
> > format to look at the $F$8's Previous Cell and if it's equal, then make
> > that
> > cell White.  Then I want to copy that and paste down so it will look at
> > $F$9's Previous Cell next time, etc.  I don't understand what your formula
> > will accomplish.... sorry.  Please help me understand.  Thanks.
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> >> Try a formula like
> >>
> >> =A1=$F$8:F8
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> RP
> >> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> >>

> >> "AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> paste.
> >> equal

Alice

Try removing the $ sign from $F$8 to read $F8

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:13:03 -0700, "AliceNXLand"
<AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Bob, but, I guess what I DIDN'T say that I should have is:  I want the
>format to look at the $F$8's Previous Cell and if it's equal, then make that
>cell White.  Then I want to copy that and paste down so it will look at
>$F$9's Previous Cell next time, etc.  I don't understand what your formula
>will accomplish.... sorry.  Please help me understand.  Thanks.
>
>"Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> Try a formula like
>>
>> =A1=$F$8:F8
>>
>> --
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> RP
>> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>>

>> "AliceNXLand" <AliceNXLand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I would like to set up 1 conditional format that will grow as I copy &
>> paste.
>> >  All I've been able to do is copy the same over & over.  I have tried to
>> > "paste special - format", but it didn't work.  Example:  Cell value is:
>> equal
>> > to, $F$8, then Font is White.  I would like to grow the "$F$8" as I copy &
>> > paste.  Thanks for ANY help.

0
Gord

Code Bloat/Growing Excel Files
I recently opend a 330kb file and made some changes and the file turned into a 9mb file. I did the following operations: 1. deleted 31 sheets and replaced them with 31 new ones 2. created some macros 3. deleted macros (the macro dialog box lists no macros). 4. saved the file. Any thing that could have caused this file to blow up like this? I'm running Excel97 on a ME machine ...

Exchange Activesync logs growing incredibly large
This morning, I noticed that starting last Thursday afternoon, the Exchange Activesync logs began to grow incredibly large. The daily log size used to be 1 to 1.5 Mb. Suddenly, Thursdays grew to 39 Mb, Friday's was 80+ Mb, Saturdays was 100+ Mb, Sundays was 80+ Mb, and this morning's was already over 40 Mb. We have one single user with an Iphone using Activesync to have emails & calendar items pushed to his phone (all entries in the log pertain to his phone). There was an error in the event logs pertaining to Exch. Activesync, saying something like "The ave...

openoffice sheet to excel: grows considerably
When I save an openoffive spreadsheet of say, 27kB as an XP office Excel sheet, it grows to more tha 2 MB. Why and what to do about it ? frgr Erik I haven't done this but would imagine that deleting the un-needed rows/columns would help. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com <Erik> wrote in message news:0e0iu0t1tguvq7tg5tof2ol99jlgetmi56@4ax.com... > When I save an openoffive spreadsheet of say, 27kB as an XP office > Excel sheet, it grows to more tha 2 MB. > Why and what to do about it ? > > frgr > Erik Erik, Try http://www.contextures.com/xlfaq...

MS Project 2003 File Size Growing
I have multiple projects with individual project files all linked to a common resource pool that has 750 different resources. I have used this setup for the past 2 years and haven't had any problems. However, last week I noticed that the files were taking longer and longer to open. I checked the properties and noticed that the file sizes ranged between 65,000KB - 89,000KB. I delinked the individual schedules from the resource pool and recreated it. The original file size for this resource pool was 2,500KB. As soon as I linked it to project schedule the file size grew to...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...

Email signature growing larger in size
Hello everyone, I am trying to add a signature to my emails using Microsoft Outlook 2003. This signature contains 1 .jpg which is size 12 kb and some text. However when I add the .jpg to the email signature, my email message blow up in size to up to somewhere between 47 and 131 KB. I first thought that it might be converting the .jpg into a .bmp, but the .bmp version of this picture is 44 kb. That would make sense if it was consistenly 47 KB, but why does it get up to 131 KB. Is my assumption about the conversion of .jpg to .bmp correct? Also what is going on with the size being so big? An...

The Incredible Growing File
Hi all I've got a problem. I've got an Excel workbook that I keep monthly with worksheets for each day. My problem is that I'm only half way through the month and it's already 40MB and loading slowly off the server. I'm curious what is causing this. There's not much on each sheet: a data table of about 190 rows and 15 columns. Some of these columns reference another workbook with Vlookup funcitons (I suspect these functions are at the heart of my problem). There are daily summary sections at the top of each sheet. There are also weekly summary sheets. So in tot...

How can I get a pivot table to recognize a growing database?
I add new data to the data range weekly. To get the (6) pivot tables which look at the data to update and include the new lines, I have to go into the wizard and redefine the data range for each pivot. There must be an easier way. Hi Nort frustration isn't it ... check out "dynamic ranges, naming" at www.contextures.com/tiptech.html for an solution -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "Nort" <Nort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46BD0E21-43D0-492B-AA40-1A83B72EF741@microsoft.c...

Exchange Queues Growing a lot
Hi!! I hava about 3000 queues on the retry status. How can I purge, erase, delet, all of those messajes??, y know I can erase the messajes of a queue but imagine to do so on 3000 queues =( Is there a way to erase all the messajes??? Thanx a lot Download the AQADMCLI tool from the link below - it's good for deleting queues. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli/ -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Jes�s Guti�rrez R" <ardillapaw@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23NfWN4...

Excel File Growing Without Explanation
Greetings! I have an Excel file that contain very little data and some lightweight VBA code. The file is growing very quickly. Yesterday it was 6MB and now it's up to 11MB without adding any additional data! What is happening here? Could the file be corrupt? I'm not getting any errors, but VBA seems to be ignoring my breakpoints when stepping through code. Your ideas would be appreciated! -- Kevin Hi Is the file shared ? What happens when you save the file with another name (Save As dialog from Excel) ? Arvi Laanemets "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Cells in a Word 2007 table do not grow in length; text disappears
Hello, In MS Word 2007, I am working with a document that someone else created. There is a table in the document, and when I add text to the cells in the table, the cells do not get longer to display the text when the text reaches the bottom of the cell. Instead, the text and cursor seem to disappear behind the next cell down in the column (it goes behind the cell that is immediately below the cell that I'm typing in). How do I fix this so that the length of the cell will change as text is added to it? I want the cells to be a fixed width, but get longer if they have to...

Excel File Size Grows After Deleting Rows & Columns
I have a 5 meg file that contains several links to other workbooks. I noticed the original author managed to save blank rows and columns in each of the worksheets so I tried deleting the blank rows and columns to reduce the file size. However, after performing this the file size grew to 17.8 meg instead! What did I do wrong and how can I shrink the file size to something much more manageable? Thank you, Enrique "Enrique" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d0d01c39d5e$9b5ee500$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a 5 meg file that contains several l...

Can Grow for object based on function (AC2003)
I have a report with two text boxes in Detail set to Can Grow. Both boxes have functions as the data source. The functions simply concatenate data from other fields in the underlying data source, which is an Excel spreadsheet. The text boxes don't "grow" when the report is previewed. When I change the data sources for the boxes to a single field, they will grow. My question is: should I expect Can Grow to work only on a single-field data source, or if there are other guidelines to consider for this feature? Thanks. David E. Jones wrote: >I have a report with two text ...

Populate growing range of cells from Sheet1 to Sheet2
I have a range of cells in Sheet1 that can grow (more cells can be added) I would like to populate this range of cells from Sheet1 into Sheet2 and have the range of cells in Sheet2 reflect any new cells added to Sheet1. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Brad If you meant that the links need to survive whatever new cells/rows/cols that may be subsequently inserted within the source sheet ... In Sheet2, Place in A1: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,ROWS($1:1)-1,COLUMNS($A:A)-1) Copy across/fill down to cover the max expected extent of source data in Sheet1 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.c...

When dragging a number down in Excel, how do we turn off the grow.
Drag it by holding right mouse buton. When release it, you should get pop-up menu with "Copy Cells", "Fill Series" and other options. Chose "Copy Cells". Or hold the Ctrl key while dragging -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Mladen_Dj" <mister.gjuro@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dkeh7k$p7r$1@sunce.iskon.hr... > Drag it by holding right mouse buton. When release it, you should get > pop-up menu with "Copy Cells", "Fill Series&q...

repeated delivery of mail (100's) and log files grow until no spac
I have a couple of Users that suddenly get 100's of old mail redelivered and the Exchange logs build until the drive runs out of space. I had a low space issue to begin with. I just moved the database to a larger RAID drive. Any thoughts as to what was causing this problem? -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K3/W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ Houston, TX "mrecomm101" <mrecomm101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3B0C429-D606-4EA8-9A51-3799844970FC@microsoft.com... >I have a couple of Users that suddenly get 100's of old mail redelivered ...

Queue is growing!!!! strange
Hi I have exchange 2000 and exchange 2003. I am in process migration. I have about 10 users on exchange 2003 and about 100 users on exchage 2000. This problems happens 3 times Users on Exchange 2003 can not send out emails. they can receive emails with no problems. So I look at the queue on exchange 2003 and it grows. Last two times, I restarted the server and it resolved the issues. This time I like to resolve this issue without restarting it. Here is what I did I checked the DNS and I was able to resolve the new exchange server name. when I send email someone who is on exchange 2003, ...

still virtual memory
Hello, I have an programm and we still inspect why the virtual memory growes and growes after repainting. With _CrtMemCheckpoint and _CrtMemDifferent we control the main heap in the programm - the result, nothing is wrong. But we want to control all the heap of the programm, so we use 'GetProcessHeaps' and 'HeapCompact': then we have in a simple programm mode 10 heaps. From one of them, the biggest free block goes down - all the other are stabil. And the virtual memory growes. Did anyone, in which way we get more informations about the heap in our programm. We do not crea...

CRM Administator Position for rapidly growing Medical company: Kansas City
If interested, please let me know: rbecker@enturia.com If this is not an appropriate posting for this group, I apologize. ...

How to a bound textbox on a form grow
Hi all, I have a bound textbox on a form and the control may contain large number of chars from a table. My method is to set its Can Grow property, but it doesn't work. How can I handle it? Clara thank you so much for your help CanGrow is only avaiable in Reports, not on Forms! Sorry! One way to handle large amounts of data in a textbox is to use the ZoomBox. This code "expands" the textbox when you double-click on it: Private Sub YourTextBoxName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdZoomBox End Sub You can also use it to enter a large amount of data wi...

a growing sluggish excel file
I have an excel file (excel 2002) using several macros. Every additional data inflates the file with no proportion with the data added.Its of course very sluggish. What can I do to compact the file ? Any advice will be appreciated Edgar There may be too may formats in your sheet. Select the area without data goto EDIT-CLEAR-ALL This will remove the format in unnecessary cells. Try this and reply ...

Database size growing too fast
Hi, We just implemented RMS in our store 2 months ago. I have noticed that the size of the database is already past 1GB mark. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything (say archive records etc) to keep it under control? any help is appreciated. Regards JD We've been using RMS for about 18 months and our db is 250MB. Do you do a really high volume of transactions? We probably only do 30-50 on an average day. But I'm interested in an answer to your question too, since I know that MSDE is limited to 1GB database. "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote: > Hi, &...

Growing spreadsheets and 'sid'
I've got Excel 2000 SR-1 on Windows XP Pro, from a Ghosted image. The issue: Certain budget files have recently began increasing size rapidly, some going from 4MB - 20MB in 2 weeks. There are plenty of macros, functions, and colored backgrounds to require some size, but nothing like this. Notes: As stated, these are Ghosted machines. Recently moved files from Novell NW4.11 to Microsoft 2000. Files state that they are being modified by 'sid'. Macros refer to a former (now removed) server. These files are becoming unmanagable in a hurry. 2 different virus scans resu...

Growing Total using Autofilter in Excel?
Hello, I have a spreadsheet i am working on in Excel 2002. I have a ton of data which i am sorting to date using AutoFilter, which is working fine. when the data is not filtered i have a rolling total which adds up the whole thing like this. a b 1 100 100 2 100 200 3 150 350 but when i use the filter i see the larger totals in the list (which i understand) What i want is the same thing in a new column, but for only the current data from the view. example a b ~ 7 150 150 8 100 250 9 200 450 I have tried using sum and subtotal but it doesnt allow + example: =sum(b7+a8) and =subtotal(9,b7+a8...