How to correctly scale X-Axis in Charts?

I posted this in Excel Charting, too, but I reckon it gets far fewer
readers...

I have the following data to plot:

01/31/95 0.29623
12/29/95 0.19822
12/31/96 0.13931
12/31/97 0.33036
12/31/98 0.082194
12/31/99 0.23669
12/29/00 -0.25575
12/31/01 0.023404
12/31/02 -0.11949
12/31/03 -0.018228
12/31/04 0.12326

with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis in a
regular Excel line chart.  As you can see, they are irregular dates.
Regardless of how I try (with ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and
the Major on months), I can't seem to get the right combination to have
Excel plot the actual dates above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting
to the last day in January, probably due to the first data point in the
date series or it just gives me a regular monthly date by year (always
January 1, XXXX for instance).

Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates
above to plot on the x-axis?

Thanks,

-Pete

--
Peter Bernadyne
Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7017

you can't chang the values on the x-axis, that's just the scale it picks, you
can go into chart options/data labels/show labels, and it will put the actual
date by every data point.

"Peter Bernadyne" wrote:

> I posted this in Excel Charting, too, but I reckon it gets far fewer
> readers...
>
> I have the following data to plot:
>
> 01/31/95 0.29623
> 12/29/95 0.19822
> 12/31/96 0.13931
> 12/31/97 0.33036
> 12/31/98 0.082194
> 12/31/99 0.23669
> 12/29/00 -0.25575
> 12/31/01 0.023404
> 12/31/02 -0.11949
> 12/31/03 -0.018228
> 12/31/04 0.12326
>
> with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis in a
> regular Excel line chart.  As you can see, they are irregular dates.
> Regardless of how I try (with ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and
> the Major on months), I can't seem to get the right combination to have
> Excel plot the actual dates above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting
> to the last day in January, probably due to the first data point in the
> date series or it just gives me a regular monthly date by year (always
> January 1, XXXX for instance).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates
> above to plot on the x-axis?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Pete
>

> --
> Peter Bernadyne
> Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494999

correction- you can change the scale, on chart optios/axis/ pick category,
then it puts the actual dates on the x-axis scale

"Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:

> you can't chang the values on the x-axis, that's just the scale it picks, you
> can go into chart options/data labels/show labels, and it will put the actual
> date by every data point.
>
> "Peter Bernadyne" wrote:
>

> > I posted this in Excel Charting, too, but I reckon it gets far fewer
> > readers...
> >
> > I have the following data to plot:
> >
> > 01/31/95 0.29623
> > 12/29/95 0.19822
> > 12/31/96 0.13931
> > 12/31/97 0.33036
> > 12/31/98 0.082194
> > 12/31/99 0.23669
> > 12/29/00 -0.25575
> > 12/31/01 0.023404
> > 12/31/02 -0.11949
> > 12/31/03 -0.018228
> > 12/31/04 0.12326
> >
> > with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis in a
> > regular Excel line chart.  As you can see, they are irregular dates.
> > Regardless of how I try (with ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and
> > the Major on months), I can't seem to get the right combination to have
> > Excel plot the actual dates above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting
> > to the last day in January, probably due to the first data point in the
> > date series or it just gives me a regular monthly date by year (always
> > January 1, XXXX for instance).
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates
> > above to plot on the x-axis?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Pete
> >

> > --
> > Peter Bernadyne
> > Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7017
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494999

Thanks very much!!! I really appreciate this.

--
Peter Bernadyne
Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494999

X-Axis Frustration
Should be a simple graph - but!!! A typical plot that I just can't make work would be for the following simple data for various aircraft: X-Axis values (cruise speed - mph) - 315 325 355 520 and 555 Corresponding Y-Axis Values (mpg) - 0.4 1.11 0.52 0.25 and 0.11 Couple of questions: 1) How do I get even increments of cruise speed on the x-axis, say 0 to 600, in even 100 increments, with data points properly spaced? 2) What is the real difference between Chart Options of Category and Automatic? Dave By making an XY chart not a Line...

Display text in Excel Bubble chart. #2
H1!, I have an Excel spreadsheet which contains X-coordinates, Y-Cordinates, Well name and Cumulative Oil/Gas/Water production. I have created bubble map using X,Y and Z(Cum production). I need to show the well name on each Bubble, which I am unable to do. Kindly sugest method to display the well name on the bubbles. Thanks, Raja Mukherjee Raja - Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (http://appspro.com) is a free addin that adds text from the worksheet to data labels on a chart series. I just tested it on a bubble chart and it works fine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP ...

histogram or pie chart or?
Greetings from the UK... I have a list of around 1000 numbers, all integers whose values can range from 1 through to 4000. Most of these numbers repeat themselves in the list . What I want to do is produce a chart showing the number of times each descrete number appears , its value and the percentage of times it appears in the list . I think ( dangerous for me !) I should be looking at a histogram or a even a pie chart but so far my attempts (using the data analysis and chart wizards) are not what I want. As an example a list of 12 numbers could be 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4, ...

Stacked charts #3
Is it possible to create a circular stacked chart? So the radius of the circle is equivalent to the height of the bar. It seems like it should be possible but I just can't think of a way to get it done! Thanks in advance, HarryAdney Not too sure if this is what you want, but you can take the existing chart, create a circle from the drawing toolbar, copy the circle, click on the bar you want changing and paste it -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "HarryAd...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

range of chart
If I am trying to chart information related to individual's payroll in comparison to total pay roll, how do I select the correct range to have the names show along with the value ranges? Tracey - Do you want the names ass data labels, linked to the points? If so, use one of these free utilities to add text from cells to the chart: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Tracey wrote: > If I am trying to chart...

Self-Made Combo Boxes not working correctly...
Okay all.. Here's my deal... I have tried and tried and tried to get these to work... I'm going to post what I have done, and what I am trying to do, and see if someone can help me figure crap out... tblBuilding - PK is BuildingIDNum - Autonumber tblBuildingZones - FK is BuildingIDNum via SELECT DISTINCTROW Building.BuildingIDNum, Building.Name FROM Building ORDER BY Building.BuildingIDNum; cboBuilding - This has Building 1, Building 2, etc. The field displaying this info is "Name" in tblBuilding. cboBuildingZones - This has different "zones" for Building 1,...

Font scaling in CScrollView
Folks, I'm having trouble with scaling a font. I'm fiddling with a page layout app, so I'm using isotropic mapping mode, with the window set to 210 x 290 (A4). Now the way I understand it, a 12 point font in logical units should be 12 * 25.4 / 72 LUs high. Using that formula, I end up with font that only grows after the viewport increases by 100 pixels (in steps of 20). Any ideas? Jase Jase, Your formula is correct. But consider the following: A 12 pt font has the height 4.233... mm - 1.459 % of the height of an A4 paper. Translating this to pixels, we get for some diffe...

How do I limit labels in chart legend to only a portion of data?
I am hoping to get a chart that includes four lines of data, but with only two of the line labels for the data showing up in the chart legend. The two lines that I want excluded are just straight bars that will include a text box within the chart as their label, but I have run into problems with simply slapping a line on the chart as it does not move around when we scale up or down the two axes. Is there a way to get the legend to only show the label identifiers with only the two sets of data that I want shown? Thank you Hi, The legend displays an entry for each series in the chart....

Justifying text of an axis
How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, mdicke <mdicke@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? You can't, it's fixed by the axis. The best you can do is select a monospaced font and use a custom number format with ???? (question marks). -- Del Cotter NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk, which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead. ...

Excel 2007
The charting function in my Office 2007 installation not working. When I click the Chart button, it shown following message. --------------------------- Information --------------------------- Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I have both Office 2003 and 2007 installed in my system. Is this a compatible issue? I had try the chart function in Word, Excel and PowerPoint all not working. Thanks did you ever figure out the problem? i'm getting the same error in office 2007...

Order of X-axis
Dearest Wizards, Col A has dates, in order but with most recent toward top. Col D has data to be graphed. What I want is for the resulting graph to have the most recent date on the RIGHT side of the graph (on the X-Axis) and the earliest dates on the LEFT. The order on the spreadsheet really can't be changed to accommodate this. TIA for any help you can give. Sam Hi, Double click the X axis and on the scale tab of the format dialog check, Dates in Reverse order To keep the Y axis labels on the left also check Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope,...

smooth area chart
When I make a line chart, there is a Smoothed Line option in the Format Data Series dialog box. But when I make an area chart, the line that forms the top of the area is jagged. Is there anyway to smooth the top of the area chart or other way to get the desired smoothed area chart? Like a smoothed line with shading underneath. Thanks. ...

How to create a floating bar chart vertically not horizontally...
Hi, The technique is the same for both column and bar charts, which is to use a stacked chart and remove the formatting from the series used to 'float' your data. See Jon's explanation. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html Cheers Andy Cristina wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Mass Modify Chart of Accounts
My company's current account setup uses the 2nd segment in an account to denote the assigned property, while the 3rd segment identifies the posting account number. Say my current chart looks as follows: 1-001-1000 1-002-1000 1-003-1000 and I want to add a new account numbered 2000 for all the properties 001-003 to give me: 1-001-1000 1-001-2000 1-002-1000 1-002-2000 1-003-1000 1-003-2000 How can I do this for all properties at once without adding them individually through account maintenence, since I have about 8 new accounts to add to over 200 existing properties? I can see h...

Junk E-mail folder
Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and permanently delete items older than 30 days? Thanks. You can use the AutoArchiving to do that. Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the AutoArchive tab "Jaycee" <jaycee131973@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%232IGo%238NGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and > permanently delete items older than 30 days? ...

Adding a total row to a chart data table
I have the following data in a chart Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6 Data2 3 4 5 7 9 4 6 6 Is it possible to have the data table show a totals row? I.E: Totals 4 9 12 13 10 10 13 12 Thanks in advance, John You can't include the total in the data table. As a workaround, you could embed the chart on a worksheet, and display the data below it. Tushar Mehta has instructions on his web site: http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm John Ortt wrote: > I have the following data in a chart > > Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Data1 1 5 7 6 1 6 7 6...

Selecting Charts in a Macro
I have a worksheet which contains 7 charts: 1st Chart = Chart 12 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 11 4th Chart = Chart 13 5th Chart = Chart 24 6th Chart = Chart 16 7th Chart = Chart 26 I have a macro which copies the worksheet it over to a new worksheet within the same workbook, the charts are then labelled: 1st Chart = Chart 9 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 13 4th Chart = Chart 10 5th Chart = Chart 2 6th Chart = Chart 12 7th Chart = Chart 15 The macro then tries to select each chart and change the source data, what I don't know is how excel will treat the chart numbers for...

does anyone have a chart for weight gain or loss in kilos?
I am trying to lose weight. and simply want to chart my weight each week. I need it in kilos and don't have MSAcces. Create two columns: Column A - Date Column B - Weight You could add a column for weight loss total, week, whatever. I might also add a column for Body Mass Index BMI = Weight in pounds * 703/(Height in inches)^2 I think the "goal" for BMI is 25. Take a look at Jon Peltier's charting tutorial on creating charts. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html#hdrTutorial "Robynr" <Robynr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Line Chart #9
Hi, I have a line chart for month on month data Jan'07 Feb'07 Mar'07 Apr'07 May'07 Jun'08 A 93 99 120 111 85 90 This is the Eg data. Is there a way to show difference in values. For Eg : Jan - Feb there is a +6 difference. Then there is a +11 difference... etc Is there a way i can show this difference on the graph automatically? Other than manually inserting a text box?? Thanks Rajula Please don't multi-post. Cross-post if you must. -- David Biddulph "Rajula" <Rajula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FBF5AFF-6629-470C-B...

Chart Formatting
Is it possible to change the color of a bar chart depending on the value of a cell? I want the bar graph to show 2 colors BUT would like for the colors on the Provider bar to show Green above the 60% and show Red below 60%. Member's bar to show Green above 80% and show Red below 80%. Check this out: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html -- Best Regards, Luke M "jlo" <jlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9CABBE1-828D-43D6-BD8F-276D27C35204@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to change the color of a bar chart...

Hyperlink to a chart
Hi, I have created a graph and placed it as a chart in a new sheet rathe than an object in an existing sheet. It is therefore classified as Chart rather than a Worksheet. When I try to insert a hyperlink to th Chart, it does not show up in the hyperlink browser along with th other existing Worksheets. Is this because the Chart is not technically a worksheet?? Is there any way I can create a hyperlink to the Chart like I can t every other Worksheet? If anyone knows how to insert a hyperlink to a chart sheet, I woul greatly appreciate them sharing it with me. Kind regards, Stuart Wilso -...

Pie Chart Colours
I have a pie chart that indicates production slots on a line, sometim there are 10 slots other times there are only 3 or 4. Can i specif what colour each slot should be dependant on the source data. i.e If the first slot is for Part A then use RED, if the next part i Part B then use BLUE. I currently create the chart and then manually change the colours t suit the part -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com got you all stumped, or is it just impossible to specify formnatting i source data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

zones in excel charts
I'd like to be able to set up zones in an Excel chart. Imagine a bell curve. Areas under the curve within one standard deviation could be green, those between one and two standard deviations would be yellow, and those more than two would be red. Or I can have an X - Y scatter chart. If the X-axis runs from 0 - 10, I might want 0 - 3 as red, 3 - 5 as green, and 5 - 10 blue. Just as an example. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button...

Excel charts in print preview distorted.
I'm assisting a customer with an excel presentation she created on another computer. She is curently using Excel XP and she changed some of the data the charts are pulling from and now the charts are all distorted in print preview. The charts are all scrunched up in the upper portion of the page. I view this presentation on my computer and all looks fine in page layout and print preview. I tried setting her default printer to mine, no help. I tried adjusting her video resolutions (they were originally the same as mine) to higher and lower resolutions and get the same results. Any...