How to convert numbers with comma decimal sepatators?

I have received a spreadsheet from Germany which has commas instead of
fullstops as the decimal separator.

Is it possible to convert these to standard fullstop separators?

Thank you & Regards
Ian Bull

0
ianb1 (6)

Hi Ian

Excel should take care of this herself, using whatever separator defined in Wondows' controlpanel. So I guess the real and graver
problem is that the numbers aren't values, just plain text, which is unsuitable for calculations.

But try a Replace (edit menu) on a few cells and see if they convert. Maybe they do.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"Ian Bull" <ianb@global.net.pg> skrev i melding news:uedaHI$XDHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I have received a spreadsheet from Germany which has commas instead of
> fullstops as the decimal separator.
>
> Is it possible to convert these to standard fullstop separators?
>
> Thank you & Regards
> Ian Bull

Try this...Go to tools, options, international. Then see
what symbol is being carried in the decimal seperator box
and thousand seperator box. If the reverse of what you
want, turn the "use system seperators off", then type a .
over the , in the decimal seperator box and a , over
the . in the thousand seperator box.

0
andrewma36 (12)

IM SOP (Invoice) Document Number
I am bringing invoice information from another system into GP via integration manager. all works well with the exception of the Document Number/Invoice Number; I am using default; which creates a new number for each invoice item. does anyone have a vbscript that can be used to get the next invoice number for a client and use that number for all items coming in for that client during the integration. there would be multiple invoice items per client and multiple clients per integration. can anyone point me in the right direction or have a script(s) to handle this. thanks Do you have eCo...

csv not importing numbers stored as text
I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The contents are like this: 1101,1102,1103... When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What can I do to make the csv read it as 1101,1102,1103...? On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:44:01 -0800, Jennifer <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The >contents are like this: > >1101,1102,1103... > >When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What >can I do to make t...

number format #3
I want to change number format to indian number format form american number format for example: the american format is like 200,200,000.00 I want to change it as indian format 2,00,20,000.00 Adding to M ike's response, #","##","##","###.00;-#","##","##","###.00 to use the same format for negative numbers with a preceding minus sign -- HTH Bob Phillips "Mike" <mike22p@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#gGdQskWDHA.652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > #","##","##"...

numbers as text #2
How do you do this, and why does excel fight it so hard? Our payroll provider sends us our payroll data in an excel spreadsheet. Project numbers that have been charged to come back in the spreadsheet with an apostrophe (') leading the number, forcing it to be recognized as text. Up to a point. If I edit a project number that was entered wrong, even though I keep the apostrophe before the number, excel now treats the cell value differently. In the body of the spreadsheet it now looks like a number, with no apostrophe, while the edit box at the top of the spreadsheet still shows th...

Insert random number only if cell empty
Hello. I'd like my spreadsheet to place a 7 digit random number into a cell only the cell is empty, otherwise leave the contents as is. I simply don't want the number to change if one is already present. I currently keep the number static by pressing F9 when I enter the RAND formula, but that forces me to manually change the number when I save the spreadsheet to another name. I'd like the spreadsheet to automatically calculate a new number in the cell as soon as I erase the previous number in that cell. Any help on this issue will be appreciated. Thanks. "M.L.&qu...

numbering tickets Publisher 2003
I am designing an event ticket and I need to have them numbered from 0001 to 1000. How can I do this with out numbering each? Please Email me at VC8454@MSN.COM "phil" <phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70C531FC-E22D-4378-890E-DBF77BD89214@microsoft.com... > I am designing an event ticket and I need to have them numbered from 0001 > to > 1000. > > How can I do this with out numbering each? > > Please Email me at VC8454@MSN.COM Review help for mail merge. Create a mail merge document and an Excel file with the...

AutoDelete the AutoArchive folder after a certain number of days?
Hi, I have a user that hoards a rediculous amount of old email. Not only does his network email box reach its limit, but the AutoArchive reaches its limit too (I have discovered that the AutoArchive has a maximum size of ~ 1.9 Gb). Outlook requires me to delete email from his AutoArchive before AutoArchive will run (reducing the size of his mailbox) and allow Outlook's Send/Receive to work. I'm getting tired of doing this weekly ... he's a department manager. Does anyone know of a way to automatically delete emails from the AutoArchive folder after a certain number of days? T...

Multiple Number Formats
I have one chart who's data changes based on selections made. Sometimes the data is a number formatted with zero decimal places and a comma (ie 1,900). Sometimes the data is a percentage formatted with zero decimal places (ie 25%). Is there a way to make this one chart handle both situations and change the format of the Y Axis based on the type of data included? Thanks...Anthony Anthony - Try this as a custom number format: [<1]0%;#,##0 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _____...

How To Align Decimals In A PP 2007 Table
I have financial data with one decimal point where I want to align to the decimal point in a PowerPoint table. How do I select the full column and align to the decimals? Thanks! (B^>)-]=[ You can't. I've asked for this feature ever since about PowerPoint 2000, but it's still not there. Frustrating. You have to do this individually in each cell. Basically, choose the decimal tab option to the left of the ruler, then add a tab (Ctrl+Tab) before the text in each cell as necessary. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT ...

Tracking Number of Times You Print a Spreadsheet
Does anyone know the VB code (or maybe another method) fro creating a macro or some other function that would record the number of times a worksheet is printed? Basically, I need to know how often a certain spreadsheet is printed for my boss and don't want to have to keep a manual field that I update with the number +1 everytime I print it....can this be automated? So that every time I print the spreadsheet the value in this cell is incremented by one? Please reply to phoenix_crime@yahoo.com if you have a quick and easy solution. I am assuming this requires some minor VB code ...

Converting Outlook Files
I need to convert all my files, (address book, saved messages, calendar etc.) from a computer running XP to a syster running 2000 Professional. If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you just need to copy over your *.pst file(s). From there, you can import the items into your new system or open the *.pst file via File | Open | Personal Folders/Outlook Data file and then drag/drop items between the old folder set and new one. If you are using Outlook Express, you should ensure that Windows 2000 is running IE6/6SP1 (which would be equal to Windows XP/Windows XP SP1 respectively). You will nee...

Including number format in formula
I have a simple "if/then/else" formula that I would like to display the result of the "else" portion with no decimal places showing, instead of the default value of the cell. Can I include the format in the formula? Here is my formula: =IF(D12>75,D12/E12,D12) Thanks, -- Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <zil@zilbandyREMOVETHIS.com> Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/ PGP Public Key: http://zilbandy.com/pgpkey.htm ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi, Try =IF(D12>75,D12/E12,INT(D12)) or replace Int with roun...

Two formulas in on cell based on two numbers in another cell?
Hi, Not sure this is possible but...I have a cell that has a number range in it and based on an amount in another cell want to calculate a new range. For example: Initial Range: A1 = 10 - 12 Calc Amount: A2 = 5 Final Range: A3 = 50 - 60 I think I can get the results by concatenating two formulas I'm just not sure how to enter the original numbers (A1) or how to distinguish between the two in the final formula (A3) Using Excel 2003. Hope this makes sense. Thanks. I would put the range in two different cells (eg A1 and B1). Then the multiplication is easy. If you ...

Changing Bill Account Number
I am trying to change the account number that coincides with a telephone bill. (The account number changed when I moved). But when I go into the account details and click the link for 'Account number', the account number field is grayed out and not editable. I've been paying this bill online using a debit card for the past few months because I cannot change this number. Back in October, when they reassigned my old phone number to somebody new, my bill was payed to the wrong account. (I am still fighting this too). Why is it so hard to change bill account numbers in this...

How do I compare a list of Lotto winning numbers to my ticket?
I have a list of lotto winning numbers in excel such as: row column a 1 11-12-13-14-15-16-17 2 18-19-20-25-29-30-34 3 25-26-27-28-29-30-40 each one of these is in its own cell on a separate row but in the same column. I wan to compare to my ticket which is in the same form e.g.: 20-30-40-50-60-70 is there a way of having excel go through the cells, find the numbers that match any number in my ticket and then copy them to another column in the same row as the original result numbers? the idea is that excel would find any number in a particular cell matching any of ...

How to convert closed invoice to active invoice?
maybye anyone has ideas how to solve this problem? ...

PO Number associated with Drop-Ship SO
Hello. Would anyone know where GP stores the PO Number generated from a drop-ship Sales Order? I am looking for the SQL table name and field name, in GP8. Thank you, Maria. Maria, I believe that is stored in the SOP_POP Link table, which is SOP60100. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Maria" <Maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD43647E-BDCD-44A5-B923-14D8166435B1@microsoft.com... > > Hello. > > Would anyone know where GP stores the PO Number generated from a drop-ship > Sales Order? > I am looking for th...

How to design a ticket in Publisher with incrementing numbers?
I want to design a ticket in MS Publisher that I can print several to a page with incrementing numbers. Thanks. Do you have pre-perforated stock? Templates here for Word and Works, they can be adapted to Publisher. http://www.nashua.com/tmplts.html I have a template on my web page, scroll way down below George Washington. http://msauer.mvps.org/publisher_projects2.htm You will have to use mail merge to get consecutive numbers on your tickets. http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://offi...

A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send q
How can I get around this, I tried force connection, didn't work? Meanwhile store.ex is holding up lots of memory and the main drive is running out of space. Could any of these event create this problem? I just can't explain why some sites recieve our mails and some don't. Thanks - Check outbound smtp connectivity - Check DNS name resolution (if you're not using smarthost) - Are messages in the q for a particular domain? Is that domain valid/resolvable? - Restart smtp svc & routing engine svc - Check event log for any errors. Bump up Diagnostics Logging on MSExchange...

Query to count between list of number (Predicting Start/End that may occur in data range)
Hi, I have a below list of numbers. 566667 566668 566669 566665 566666 566671 566672 566680 I want a query that would return a count between start and end of range. Like Start End Quantity 566665 566669 5 566671 566672 2 566680 566680 1 Thank you. On 2 apr, 07:17, Angela <ims...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a below list of numbers. > > 566667 > 566668 > 566669 > 566665 > 566666 > 566671 > 566672 > 566680 > > I want a query that would return a coun...

lines in cells with numbers
When I print an excel worksheet, I have line lines running through th some of the numbers. It looks like I put a number in and then crosse it out. I have gone into format cells and cleared everything but the line still appear -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Move the cursor slowly across the line, and if it changes into a different kind of cross with arrowheads on the ends, then the line is probably a drawing object...........while the cursor is in that new shape, just Right-click > Cut......... Otherwise, the cell might be being formatted by a ChangeEvent macro..........

Page numbering in footer 04-27-10
I have a large document. It contains only three sections. The first section is comprised of three pages, the Title Page and the TOC. The second section is all of the chapters of content, and finally the third section is the Appendix. The first section does not contain page numbers in the footer. The second and third sections do contain page numbers in the footer in the following format "page x of y". I restarted the page numbers on page 4 (at the beginning of section 2). It worked for the "x" number which begins on page 1. However, the second number, "y&...

Advanced: sequencial cell numbers w/ an Exception
Ok I read the previous post about sequencial numbers but how can I set up the numbering so that it all ways add the contents of the previous cell, regardless of what the cell name is. I use the normal process for creating sequential numbers but when I insert a new row w/i the group the sequence is broken. Is there a way to say A1 = 5.0 B1 = SUM(PREVCELL + 5); C1 = SUM(PREVCELL + 5); instead of A1 = 5.0 B1 = SUM(A1 + 5); C1 = SUM(B1 + 5); As you can see that if a new cell is inserted into the later it breaks but the earlier statment still holds true. Any ideas? Thanks in advance i...

Unmask the first digit of credit card number
The first digit of the credit card number needs to be unmasked, so that a person call see what type of card was used. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=dc90...

csv
Hi, Using Excel 2000, SP3 Situation: Trying to do a SaveAs from XLS to CSV The last column has some cells containing data, but the majority of the cells are blank Issue: It looks like Excel is not adding the last comma for the majority of the blank cells (it does it for a few of them), when the file is saved to CSV Is there a patch to fix this bug? The closest KB article i could find matching this problem was #259208. thanks, ap You can fake the extra comma at the end with the Text Write Program by specifying comma, CR, LF for the record delimiter. Try 44, 13, 10. 44 is the code ...