How to combine two excel sheets into one

How to combine two excel sheets into one using the value
in the common column

You can retrieve the value from specific columns and merge them onto another
worksheet by using the =vlookup() command.

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!$a$1:$x$9999,3,false)

would use the value in A1 to look through sheet2 (A1:A9999).  If it doesn't find
a match, you'll get a #n/a back.

but if it there is a match, you'll get the 3 column over (C) returned.

Take a look at =vlookup() in excel's help for lots more info--or post back with
a more specific question.  (I'm sure you'll get a better answer.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

code for auto import from excel to Access97
Thanks for the previous help. I now need some direction in setting code to automatically import data from excel into Access97. I have set up my queries for the import, and it works like a champ. Before I can run that query, I have to manually import the excell data into a specially named table. I would like a command that would allow the importing of the excel data (.csv) into the specially named table, then append that data into 3 seperate tables, which is done using my queries. I would like this command to be placed in one of my "switchboard" menus, but I don't se...

I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 spreadsheet
Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I need Your kindly help. I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 document for one or other reason. I just clic on any of the spreasheet cells and type for word but it does not work. Any idea ? Many Thanks. Octavio Ovidio What else is going on? Are you using VBA code on the back side? Are there any Excel alert boxes open behind your main application window? Please provide more information. Alex >-----Original Message----- >Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I >nee...

Format date in excel 2000 like '31st January 2005' #4
Trying to set up field in Excel Data Source file so that the current date can be input in letters typed in this format '31st January 2005' Is it possible or am I stuck with dd/mmm/yy format? Good afternoon Malcolm Agingwell Would the date in the format "31 January 2005" be of any use to you? If so, set up a custom format of dd mmmm yyyy. Excel doesn't handl ordinals (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) on its own. HTH Dominic -- dominic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

lookup in one sheet and insert in second if not found
I have created a workbook with two sheets in it. I enter all my order in sheet one and the sheet two totals them. The column on my sheets ar as follow�. Sheet one STYLE SMALL MEDIUM LARGE 100 1 1 1 101 1 1 1 100 1 1 1 102 Sheet two STYLE SMALL MEDIUM LARGE 100 2 2 2 101 1 1 1 I have used the SUMIF command in the second sheet, which is correct Therefore my totals are correct. The only problem I am having is thi ��.that I have to enter the style numbers in the second sheet as well. What I want to do is, to have some kind...

how do i convert excel to csv format
I am trying to convert multi tabs excel file into csv. Can I get all the tabs in csv format in a same file? Tks If you combine all the data into one worksheet in a new workbook, then you could save that workbook as your CSV file. Ron de Bruin has some code at: http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm that might get you started. baxterr wrote: > > I am trying to convert multi tabs excel file into csv. Can I get all the tabs > in csv format in a same file? > > Tks -- Dave Peterson ...

creating fax cover sheet for contact
I want to create a fax cover sheet from a contact, I open the contact and I go to actions menu and I choose New Letter to contact. The problem is I need a fax cover NOT a letter, I can not find where to change the templates. Will appreciate any help. Jacob Two options: 1. Create a custom document that will appear in the New Letters to Contact dialog. For your custom letter template to appear in the list of Page Designs in the Microsoft Word Letter Wizard, the letter templates you create must be saved in the "Letters & Faxes folder Word 97) or the Templates\1033 folder (Word 20...

Count of Weekdays Between Two Dates
Task: With a given start date and end date, print a list of Months showing a count of weekdays and weekend days in each. It seemed like such a simple request... but how to get started? If I already had a table of all dates between the start and end dates, I'd have it whipped. Any thoughts appreciated. -- croy Here are some ideas you can use for this. First, you need to know how may days are in the month. Then you can use the function below to return the number of work days in the month. The subtract the work days from the number of days, and it will return the week end days. ...

Creating hyperlinks between two publisher documents
Hi, I know that you can make hyperlinks to different sections within one publisher document, but does anyone know how to hyperlink to specific sections in one publisher document that would be accessed by clicking on the links from an additional publisher document? I know I can link from one document to another in general but I want to be able to link directly to specific sections within the target document. Is this possible? Using the insert html code fragment tool, insert an anchor on the target web page: <A NAME="READHERE"></A> Then write an absolute link or...

Excel's option menu
Every time I go into my Excel "Options" menu I get a message that states Excel.exe is being closed by Windows. Any ideas on how to correct this? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168201 XL97: Error Messages Appear Clicking Options on Tools Menu Maybe this is your problem AJ -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "AJ" <vajames@charter.net> wrote in message news:01f101c35539$303c9780$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I go into my Excel "Options" menu I get a > message that states Excel.exe ...

two choice on printer icon
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop In the old version of Entourage you would open an email, click the printer icon and the dialog box would pop up letting you choose which printer to send to. <br> In the 2008 version if you click on it, it automatically prints to the default printer. But if you click on the drop down arrow you get two choices: &quot;Print One Copy&quot; and &quot;Print&quot;. Is there a way to default to &quot;Print&quot; or remove &quot;Print One Copy&quot; from the choices? I ...

OLAP and Excel question
Hi everyone, I posted this in excel.misc on the 11th Feb. No response Using Excel 2003, a cube database (extension .cub) with a pivot table. The OLAP database is 1,000 rows deep and 13 columns wide. Therefore only 13,000 cells. A PivotTable should handle this easily. When I expand all the levels, I get the following message: "Excel cannot display this PivotTable report. The row area has more than 65,536 items, or the column area has more than 16,384 items." I thought the there were only 256 columns in Excel And I thought that a pivot table could only display 8,000 elements from a ...

how do i find a true value between two different times e.g. 4:15
i would like to find the exact value between two different time in hours and minutes e.g. 4:15 (4 hours 15 minutes) and not 4:42 (4.42 hours) for example. Subtract them! An example: Enter 8:45 in A1 and 5:15 in A2. Enter the formula =A1-A2 in A3 and, voila, the answer is 3:30. Excel will automatically assign the time format to A3 if it has the General number format. -- Jim "Chris01623" <Chris01623@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF16BD54-CC0C-4188-B18D-1C3CE871D95A@microsoft.com... |i would like to find the exact value between two different time in h...

How to limit subform to one record?
I have certain instances where I need a subform to be able to accept one record, and no more. I've been trying setting allowadditions to false if dcount (records for that mainform record) >0, but I can't get the setup right in terms of which event to trigger it, etc. Any advice? On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:41:00 -0800, markmarko <markmarko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have certain instances where I need a subform to be able to accept one >record, and no more. > >I've been trying setting allowadditions to false if dcount (records for that >mainf...

Pivot Table
I have 2 lists with approximately 100 items/rows, with 5 pieces of data in each row. Each list has a common element (account number). Many times the account number shows on both lists, and I want to combine How do I combine both lists to use as source data in a pivot table? ...

import UTF8 to Excel
I import a text file which was saved in UTF8 format to Excel, but the characters are mashed. If I save the file in unicode by notepad, then I can import to Excel without problem. But the same UTF8 text file, I can open in Word. Any one can help? ...

Excel 2007 and large spreadsheets
I have a user that doesn't want to move to Excel 2007 from 2003 due to what he describes as "Specifically, my analytical tasks often involve creating very large spreadsheets (>100 MB) for data processing. I found that Excel 2007 tended to freeze up or calculate indefinitely when working with such large spreadsheets, and therefore was unsatisfactory for my needs". I can't find anything that addresses this type of issue. -- Len Robinson Manager, IT Helpdesk SkyTerra LP Len, type in:- EXCEL Specifications And Limits - on an F1 search within EXCEL 2007...

Excel and MS Works v4.5
Have been using MS Works v4.5 with W98se for some time now due to invoicing capability, but am new to e-mail and the net. Am wondering if Works document or spreadsheet files are e- mailable or convertible to such and also if recipient can read these files with more modern versions of Excel and Word. Thanks Mark I use excel2002, but not Works. But Works has an option under File|SaveAs to save as a .xls file. I think I'd do a little experiment and save your file as a .xls file and email one. Then find out if everything worked ok. Mark wrote: > > Have been using MS Works ...

Using Excell to input data into Access
Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access? The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that over 100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time. We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different projects in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did not even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to drag ...

How do I enter the date last modified in the footer of an Excel d.
How do I enter the date last modified in the footer of an Excel document? I want to be able to distribute a monthly or weekly report in Excel to users and have it automatically update the date last modified in the footer each time I update the report. You need to do that with a Before_Print event macro. If you search the newsgroups from Google you will find lots of examples. On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:33:04 -0800, "Last modified date in footer" <Last modified date in footer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I enter the date last modified in the footer of an Excel doc...

Excel opens two worksheets instead of one
I have Office 2007 and recently upgraded to Windows 7. When I open an existing document in Excel, sometimes (about 50% of the time) it opens a second blank worksheet along with it. Word does this also. Is there a way to fix this? -- Thank you ...

How to copy (or move) Journals from one folder to another
Yesterday I had to rebuild my Outlook file, and I have a working version now but all my journals are in a 2nd folder rather than in the main Journal one. As I can't delete the empty main one, ideally I'd like to move the entrieds from the second one to the main folder. Is this possible? I tried exporting them to a pst file and importing them but either it didn't work or I did it wrong. Any help gratefully recieved rdc You did it wrong - NEVER use the import/export option to move native = Outlook data. Having already done so, you now have a corrupt profile. Create a ne...

set or reset the print range for several sheets at a time?
how do you set or reset the print range for several sheets at a time? Manually I don't think it's possible to set more than one sheet's print area at a time. Of course a macro can make this a lot quicker. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Mestrella31" <mestrella@mxn.com> wrote in message news:BF8D4BDF-1787-4633-B5D0-AA6F2E4732AF@microsoft.com... | how do you set or reset the print range for several sheets at a time? Unfortunately setting the print area on grouped sheets is not an option without using VBA. Code from Bob Flanagan for setting same print area on groupe...

65000 Row Limitation from Access to Excel
This question has been asked a couple times, but the answer seems to be unclear so I will ask again. I have query results in Access that I would like to work with in Excel - I like Excel pivot tables better than Access pivot tables. If I highlight the 287K line Access table, right click on copy, then paste into the 1 million plus row spreadsheet capacity in Excel, it only pastes 65,000 lines. Exports from Access to the million row plus spreadsheet work similarly only exporting 65,000 lines of the much larger table. I can successfully export the data from Access to a text file, then impor...

Excel Chart How do I create Y axis to represent numbers I am using
I am attempting to create a chart that is populating its data from another worksheet in the same book. I am pulling in numbers that range from 75000 to 3000000 and I would like my y axis to be 50K to 350K in multiples of 25K but I can not figure out how to adjust the axis key. Thanks for your help in advance. Krefty Select the axis and press Ctrl+1 (numeral one). Excel 2003 and earlier: In the dialog that appears, click on the Scale tab, and enter the values you want for min, max, and major unit, and don't check the corresponding Auto boxes. Excel 2007: Check Fixed for each of mi...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...