how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus

what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as  total is -$5.69
in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
report

Thank you

Pat Mineard
0
Mineard (1)

The feature to do this is called Conditional Formatting

Highlight the cells you wish to format, then do Format >
ConditionalFormatting > CellValueIs > LessThan > 0 > Format > PatternsTab >
select a color > OK > OK

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Pat Mineard" <Pat Mineard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
> that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as  total
is -$5.69
> in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
> How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
> I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
> report
>
> Thank you
>
> Pat Mineard

0
croberts (1377)
6/15/2005 11:56:13 PM
It's called "Conditional Formatting".
You can look it up in the Help files.

As an example, select A1 to A5, with the focus in A1 (colored white).
Then, <Format> <Conditional Format>
Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is", and enter this formula:

=A1<0

Then click on "Format", and choose whatever format or pattern color you
wish.
Then <OK> <OK>.

Now, A1 to A5 will change to the format you chose when either of the cells
is negative.
Key in a negative value or enter a formula that will return a negative value
and test it out.
--
HTH,

RD

"Pat Mineard" <Pat Mineard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
> that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as  total
is -$5.69
> in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
> How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
> I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
> report
>
> Thank you
>
> Pat Mineard

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
6/16/2005 12:00:09 AM
"Pat Mineard" wrote:

> what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
> that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as  total is -$5.69
> in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
> How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
> I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
> report

Probably best to use Conditional formatting.  Select the range, click
Format>Conditional Formatting then set the condition cell value less than 0
and choose the font and cell colour you require
0
bigwheel926 (227)
6/16/2005 4:52:03 AM
Hi,

It depends on your criterian for color-coding cells.

Scenario 1:

If every cell were to get color-coded when its content  reaches a negative
value,

(1)  Select those cells (if those cells or non-contiguous, keep the CTL key
pressed while selecting them),
(2)  Click 'Format' in the toolbar--> 'Conditional Formatting...'
(3)  In the Conditional Formatting window click the triangle on the
right-hand side of 'between', select 'less than', and enter 0 in the right
side bar,
(4) Click 'Format' near the white strip saying 'No Format Set', select
'Patterns', pick the color you want for color-coding the cells, click 'OK',
and 'OK' again.

OR

Scenario 2:

If you want an entire row, or a set of rows/cells (even non-contigues)
color-coded when the value in a particular cell (e.g., A12) turns negative,

(1)  As in Scenario 1,
(2)  As in Scenario 1,
(3)  In the Conditional Formatting window, click the triangle on the
right-hand side of 'Cell Value Is' and select "Formula Is', and in the
right-hand side whilte strip enter the equal (=) sign, click on the deciding
cell (e.g., A12), and enter <0 ( the equation would now read as =$A$12<0,
(4) As in Scenario 1

Hope this helps.

Regards,
B.R.Ramachandran

"Pat Mineard" wrote:

> what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells
> that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as  total is -$5.69
> in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus
> How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus?
> I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure
> report
>
> Thank you
>
> Pat Mineard
You can go to: Format, Condition Formatting, set the rule less than $0, set
color to red or your desired color, and ok. That should solve your problem.

GT